• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
It'd be really nice if Nintendo released a HD-remastered Xenoblade digitally on the Wii U, or if 'X' is indeed a sequel (or prequel?) to Xenoblade, I think Nintendo should include it with 'X' when the game comes out.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
No, because you assume the sum of arguments are greater then the arguments themselves.

New characters have been added to Smash - Greninja.
Characters with one game in their series have been added to Smash - Ice Climbers.
Characters that don't have impressive sales - Earthbound. Although, Nintendo actually WAS happy with the Sales of Xenoblade, so I'm not sure this is even an actual point.

So none of these are reasons against inclusion. If none, individually, are reasons for exclusion, why would they collectively be a reason?
Im going to respond to that quoting the message you quoted.
The only 2nd party characters of Smash are Pokemon characters. Also 1st is not me who created those arguments against Shulk, i just wanted to show that the comparisons used in those Counter-arguments are not reasonable. At the end, that does not mean much in Shulk possibilities of being in the game, but bad comparison are bad comparisons and i must take down thoses.
And then...
A game series is a sequences of games, meaning if you have more than one game in a franchise, it is a series. Xeno is a series created by Tetsuya Takahashi, and he intended it to be a series, even if they're not much related to each other. The whole series is comprised of Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade, thus making it a series, which in turn makes the whole series a franchise.
Xenosaga is a spiritual sucessor of Xenogears and Xenoblade a spiritual sucessor of those. That does not make a real series, even if the therm "Xeno series" is relatively extended. No matter how many things in common they have, including the director thing. There is not enough links to consider those part of the same series. Heck, Xenoblade was not even intended to be "Xeno" in first place.

Also, R.O.B. totally debunks your argument.
I fail to see where R.O.B. debunks my arguments since he is faaaar from being something recent and he also appeared in many games before Brawl.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Do you guys agree with the majority of opinions voiced in the RTC thread about the X protagonist, assuming it isn't Shulk? I think most people were spot on. Shulk is enough and a FE 2.0 scenario at this point would seem like a waste considering the supposed smaller roster.

Even if Shulk isn't revealed at E3, (only 7 days away!) we are guaranteed substantial X footage. I'm guessing some of the story and characters will be revealed.

D

Deleted member

I know that tensions are high right now (especially that we are nearing E3), but let's keep things civil in here.

Do you guys agree with the majority of opinions voiced in the RTC thread about the X protagonist, assuming it isn't Shulk? I think most people were spot on. Shulk is enough and a FE 2.0 scenario at this point would seem like a waste considering the supposed smaller roster.

Even if Shulk isn't revealed at E3, (only 7 days away!) we are guaranteed substantial X footage. I'm guessing some of the story and characters will be revealed.
Honestly, I don't see Xenoblade get treated like FE 2.0. However, such a situation could happen.
I can see Sakurai add Shulk for numerous reasons stated. With Monolith, a brand new developer under Nintendo's wing, they might approach Smash similar to how Intelligent Systems and Game Freak do to Fire Emblem and Pokemon respectively. First, they will add Shulk due to being the demanded one, but they could take advantage of Smash and use it to promote X.
Variables that go against this are limited number of slots (I bet that Xeno won't get its second rep already, especially when it doesn't have its first), no one is particularly demanding for the X protagonist (especially when his name isn't known... or anything else for that matter), and Sakurai would have to have knowledge of this game prior.
Seeing as how newer games have been getting stages, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai if he gave X a stage... but I expect that at most. If we get a Monolith character, it's Shulk.

I'm totally hyped for the X footage! It would make my day if we get Shulk and more information on X!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, I don't see us getting more than one "Xeno" rep at all for this installment.

If it's not Shulk, Sakurai could be stupid and add the X protagonist, but since Smash 4 is going to come out in like a couple months at the most and we know nothing about X aside from it having robots and looking awesome and using Xenoblade's battle system, it would be a little weird. Greninja is one thing, but the X protagonist?

Nah, it's Shulk or nothing. And last minute clones seem like a terrible idea for this particular game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It could happen as a Roy-situation, I can see it happening, but unlikely IMO.
Difference is Fire Emblem was a long-running and popular franchise, plus Roy was planned to be Leif at first anyway. Roy was literally a last second decision. Kinda doubt we'll get the same situation here.

I agree with other people's comments, its Shulk or nothing.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
When I tell some of my friends Shulk is my most wanted newcomer for smash, most unfortunately have no idea who he is. If you guys find yourselves in this situation, are there any particular videos or specific aspects of the game you show them? Everyone at first always thinks Dunban is Shulk when I show them the intro lol.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When I tell some of my friends Shulk is my most wanted newcomer for smash, most unfortunately have no idea who he is. If you guys find yourselves in this situation, are there any particular videos or specific aspects of the game you show them? Everyone at first always thinks Dunban is Shulk when I show them the intro lol.
I haven't played Xenoblade either, I only bring Shulk up because other people do. I do want to play Xenoblade, I just can't afford to buy it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Like I said, I've just lent my copy to all my friends I want to understand everything. But I have a closer relationship to my friends than most people, so I understand some of you might not be that trusting.

I usually show them the intro, and the first few cutscenes if I don't feel like they're the type who'd enjoy Xenoblade.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just show them videos of Xenoblade music, that worked out for me.
Showing gameplay will kinda bore the casual as it's not as easy to love Xenoblade if you're just watching the gameplay. :p

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
One of my friends tried playing just the intro section, skipped the how to play text, and was extremely confused about the combat. It was actually humorous, but you're right about the gameplay not being casual friendly. I'll probably stick with the intro and some cutscenes. I actually have a bunch of Xenoblade songs on PM.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So will Shulk be at E3 or not?
It seems like a good place to reveal him to me.
What do ya'll think.

D

Deleted member

What do ya'll think.
It seems right to reveal Shulk there and he is a good contender to be one of our newcomer reveals...
I say that he could happen. I don't expect him, but I do hope for him. Best birthday present ever if he got revealed.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It seems right to reveal Shulk there and he is a good contender to be one of our newcomer reveals...
I say that he could happen. I don't expect him, but I do hope for him. Best birthday present ever if he got revealed.
Maybe shown after the new X trailer?:awesome:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I think Shulk would be a great reveal for E3 and it would definitely tie into X hype and promotion. Even though Pit is a retro character, most people had no idea who he was in the Brawl reveal trailer. However, he quickly gained a following from both hardcore and casual fans. I see Shulk as a similar type of character that can quickly garner a following from different audiences and get people even more excited for Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Maybe shown after the new X trailer?:awesome:
I think that he could be shown before the X trailer, much like Rosalina was revealed before the MK8 trailer in December. Though... that might not make sense... especially when I find Pac-Man to be inevitable.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What do ya'll think.
Shulk seems like a good fit at E3, since it would tie into X. It really depends on how many newcomers they are actually going to show, though. I don't think he is not big enough to be one of 2 reveals at the event, 3 or more and I could see it.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel that "Xord , your host tonight" does a pretty good job of explaining everything they need to know , I then follow it up with having them listen to You Will Know Our Names and One Who Gets in Our Way. It typically makes a believer out of them.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Xenosaga is a spiritual sucessor of Xenogears and Xenoblade a spiritual sucessor of those. That does not make a real series, even if the therm "Xeno series" is relatively extended. No matter how many things in common they have, including the director thing. There is not enough links to consider those part of the same series. Heck, Xenoblade was not even intended to be "Xeno" in first place.

I fail to see where R.O.B. debunks my arguments since he is faaaar from being something recent and he also appeared in many games before Brawl.
It is a series regardless. Even if Xenoblade isn't related to the other two Xeno games, it still retains the same theme intended by Takahashi. By your logic, many movies and games aren't a "real" series. So are most of the Final Fantasy games not a series, then? There are several Final Fantasy spiritual successors, yet they can still be part of the same series. How do you even define a "real" series? You're not making sense here; you're just being dense. If you can't fathom what the definition of a series of anything is, then we'll have to agree to disagree, because you just keep grasping at straws to the point where we're going off-topic.

Now try to find a character in SSB, that does not have a REAL series, that does not have impressive sales, that is exclusive of one game and that in top of that is a new character. Come on. Find, just, one.
This is exactly what you said, and now you're conveniently avoiding this. R.O.B. is not part of a series, he was just an accessory for the NES.

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
It is a series regardless. Even if Xenoblade isn't related to the other two Xeno games, it still retains the same theme intended by Takahashi. By your logic, many movies and games aren't a "real" series. So are most of the Final Fantasy games not a series, then? There are several Final Fantasy spiritual successors, yet they can still be part of the same series. How do you even define a "real" series? You're not making sense here; you're just being dense. If you can't fathom what the definition of a series of anything is, then we'll have to agree to disagree, because you just keep grasping at straws to the point where we're going off-topic.
Are Beyond the beyond and Golden Sun part of the same series? or The Last Story and Final Fantasy? or Devil May Cry and Bayonetta?
This is exactly what you said, and now you're conveniently avoiding this. R.O.B. is not part of a series, he was just an accessory for the NES.
I said a character with 4 conditions that are clearly listed right there, R.O.B. does not have a series, ok but he is really old and also had appeared in many games, thus is not the same, R.O.B. does not acomplishes all the things i listed.
ry to find a character in SSB, that does not have a REAL series, that does not have impressive sales, that is exclusive of one game and that in top of that is a new character. Come on. Find, just, one.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Are Beyond the beyond and Golden Sun part of the same series? or The Last Story and Final Fantasy? or Devil May Cry and Bayonetta?
I said a character with 4 conditions that are clearly listed right there, R.O.B. does not have a series, ok but he is really old and also had appeared in many games, thus is not the same, R.O.B. does not acomplishes all the things i listed.
ry to find a character in SSB, that does not have a REAL series, that does not have impressive sales, that is exclusive of one game and that in top of that is a new character. Come on. Find, just, one.
There is no need to do this in the Shulk thread where we talk about Shulk as a character IF he gets in if you want to argue about something like this I think somewhere other than SmashBoards is a good place to start.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Are Beyond the beyond and Golden Sun part of the same series?
Have you played Xenogears, Saga, and Blade? The similarities are more then superficial. Also, you just don't seem to understand the fact that if being new doesn't matter, and only having one game doesn't matter, then why should having only one game AND being new matter. It shouldn't, give me one reason it should.

EDIT: By the way, did not realize Beyond the Beyond was made by Camelot, been YEARS since I played that game. I can definitely see the artistic similarities between it and Golden Sun, but thematically the games are quite different.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
The difference with all of those is that they are an inspiration from a game or series, not a direct or spiritual sequel.

Final Fantasy is perhaps the best example of this. Every Final Fantasy title tends to feature different characters and plots, so not all of them are related to each other, but they're still a Final Fantasy game running in a series. Heck, Bravely Default, which is under a different name, is still part of the Final Fantasy series since it retains the overall theme of Final Fantasy.

I just realized, but why are you strictly combining all of those factors into one? A certain character does not need to accomplish all of the factors in order to get in. Just because they don't meet one requirement, doesn't mean the others get dismissed. One mere significant factor can get a character included. I mean, Wii Fit Trainer presumably got in not because she was in a series with high sales and popularity, but perhaps because she was unique compared to the usual Nintendo characters.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
So basically this whole thing is the Shulk equivalent of "Ridley is too big?" Regardless, it seems like the arguments against Shulk are going in circles.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I will take up your incredibly condescendingly-worded challenge by stating that the closest example is Ness.

When the first Smash Bros was released, he was quite recent.
Only appeared in one game.
That game was a flop at the time.
Was part of a series of two games. This is the problem, technically, though I feel the difference between a two-game series and a one-game series is trivial. Especially so when it's entirely plausible that the one-game series might be getting a new entry revealed within the space of a week.

Also, whether or not Xeno is a real series is also quite trivial. Even if the game had been called Monado: Beginning of the World or anything else, it's quite clearly meant to carry on the legacy of the previous Xeno games. Shulk and Seven are basically new versions of Shion and COSMOS from Xenosaga. I don't think it's fair to strip Xenoblade of its ability to represent previous Xeno games by what is ultimately the splitting of hairs.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
So. . . Our favorite girl Soraya Saga re-tweeted Nintendo's E3 tweet. Information at E3 on Monolith Soft's upcoming "X" was widely expected by pretty much everyone, of course, but following her re-tweet history just gives us a little more confirmation, I suppose ("X" and the new Legend of Zelda for Wii-U are by far the games I am most excited for. . . I can't wait!).

Now about Shulk. . . If they don't tie in his reveal in some way to Monolith's new game (or just at E3 in general), I'm not quite sure if he will be revealed prior to the 3DS release. That being said, I still have the utmost confidence that he will in fact be a playable character within SSB4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So. . . Our favorite girl Soraya Saga re-tweeted Nintendo's E3 tweet. Information at E3 on Monolith Soft's upcoming "X" was widely expected by pretty much everyone, of course, but following her re-tweet history just gives us a little more confirmation, I suppose ("X" and the new Legend of Zelda for Wii-U are by far the games I am most excited for. . . I can't wait!).

Now about Shulk. . . If they don't tie in his reveal in some way to Monolith's new game (or just at E3 in general), I'm not quite sure if he will be revealed prior to the 3DS release. That being said, I still have the utmost confidence that he will in fact be a playable character within SSB4.
AHH!!! I'm so scared yet I am so hyped for this! At least we are getting X footage!
Oh man! I hope that when this Direct is done, everyone will know his name!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
STORY TIME! My quest with Xenoblade continues. Spoilers ahead!
So i rescued Fiora, reunited with everyone after the crash from the fallen arm, brought Fiora to Junks and had her repaired and spent who knows how long grinding for some of those fights...navigated my way through the Mechonis interior and have saved in the capital city. My teams levels are in the mid 60s. I don't think i have much left, but i could be wrong. Don't anyone tell me.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
STORY TIME! My quest with Xenoblade continues. Spoilers ahead!
So i rescued Fiora, reunited with everyone after the crash from the fallen arm, brought Fiora to Junks and had her repaired and spent who knows how long grinding for some of those fights...navigated my way through the Mechonis interior and have saved in the capital city. My teams levels are in the mid 60s. I don't think i have much left, but i could be wrong. Don't anyone tell me.
Did you do all the hidden village quests? Easiest area in the game to get your rep up so it really shouldn't take you too long, and you'll get a 4th talent tree for your newest party member and a new monado art out of it. Let us know when you fight Egil!

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wii Fit Trainer.

When she was revealed for Smash Bros, all the Wii Fit series had was the original, and an extension of the original with small amounts of new content (so basically a remake with a few new things). I hardly call that a "series". Yeah, Wii Fit U recently came out, but that was after Wii Fit Trainer got revealed. Just like X is going to come out after Shulk gets revealed.

Not being a part of a "series" is a terrible argument to exclude a character, and certainly not one that will keep a character out of the game. Shulk is unique, from a critically acclaimed game, and is popular for Smash. What more do you want from the character?

If you don't like him, that's fine. But don't make up bad reasons to exclude him.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Huh.

Why did Wii Fit Trainer go over my head? It must've been because they announced Wii Fit U at the same E3, but I guarantee X is part of the same series (and I don't even think this guy doubts that either) so I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Whelp. Either way, let's hope the power of the Monado is with us at E3!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Did you do all the hidden village quests? Easiest area in the game to get your rep up so it really shouldn't take you too long, and you'll get a 4th talent tree for your newest party member and a new monado art out of it. Let us know when you fight Egil!
Hidden village quests? Uh, don't know what those are. Also, i have no idea how the talent tree works so i never used it...The only monado arts i have are buster, enchant, speed, shield, and purge. How many more are there if i don't do any quests? And how many more are there if i do quests? And what quests would they be? As you can see, i studied this game intensely XD

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There's two you get from sidequests you'd otherwise totally miss.

All you have to do is select one of the character's three talent trees (or four or more as you unlock them...), and they'll gain the talents over time. It's easy!

The Hidden Village is the town on the Fallen Arm. Just do all the quests in and around there that you can.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
There's two you get from sidequests you'd otherwise totally miss.

All you have to do is select one of the character's three talent trees (or four or more as you unlock them...), and they'll gain the talents over time. It's easy!

The Hidden Village is the town on the Fallen Arm. Just do all the quests in and around there that you can.
OH DURR, you mean
Junks
right? I did most of the quests there, but not all of them. What/where are the two sidequests i need to do to get the two arts?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
OH DURR, you mean
Junks
right? I did most of the quests there, but not all of them. What/where are the two sidequests i need to do to get the two arts?
I don't remember the specific quests, but I can drop you the Wiki pages, which mention them. (Although if you don't want the specific Art details, don't click the links and I'll search deeper for a quest guide)

You can definitely get them both right now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hidden village quests? Uh, don't know what those are. Also, i have no idea how the talent tree works so i never used it...The only monado arts i have are buster, enchant, speed, shield, and purge. How many more are there if i don't do any quests? And how many more are there if i do quests? And what quests would they be? As you can see, i studied this game intensely XD
The only non-story Monado arts are Eater and Armour. For Eater you have to get your rep up in Central Bionis by doing quests in Makna Forest and Frontier Village. It is a pain and I would not recommend doing it on a casual play through (just my opinion, some other people might disagree). Armour is easier to get and is super useful, though.

You also get one more ability through the story. You should actually be getting it very very soon based on where you are.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm pretty sure i beat the monsters for the Armour quest but i just never went back and spoke with the girl XD I'll make sure to do that next time i hop on.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm pretty sure i beat the monsters for the Armour quest but i just never went back and spoke with the girl XD I'll make sure to do that next time i hop on.
By the way, even if you don't get how skill trees work, make sure to switch to a new one if you max one out. You don't lose the bonuses from a tree if you switch to a new tree after learning them, so there is no reason not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom