• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
So vision is better than expected, landin the first counter should be really easy but consecutives "visions" are harder to accomplish.

Seems like a really good trade off.

Thats the only new info we got

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I wonder if they'd make an alternate move of Monado Arts. That would seem odd to me.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I wonder if they'd make an alternate move of Monado Arts. That would seem odd to me.
Yeah, that's the one thing that's leaving me scratching my head. Maybe they'll change up the order in which you cycle through them? Or maybe have the modes last longer at the cost of a longer cooldown time?

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Finally I'm back..most of you who just joined probably don't know me.this is extremely late,but I can't help it since I was banned 3 weeks.I am so happy Shulk his in!his trailer had clever nods to the game and looked great.his moveset is everything I wanted and I fanboyed at his final smash.Smash is coming soon in Japan,buckle your seat belts,the hype train is on hyderspeed!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They really seem to be going all out with Shulk's alt costumes. He could be like Villager, in that each one is a different model (and in his case, a different outfit). I guess an RPG that bothers with actually making the armour change how the character looks would be great source material for outfits. I hope other newcomers (and veterans, actually) get similarly cool alts.

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
They really seem to be going all out with Shulk's alt costumes. He could be like Villager, in that each one is a different model (and in his case, a different outfit). I guess an RPG that bothers with actually making the armour change how the character looks would be great source material for outfits. I hope other newcomers (and veterans, actually) get similarly cool alts.
I've been wondering..what's Shulks weakness?

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I wanna see his alternate moves. Maybe we'll get Purge or something.
I'd like to see an alternate for Air Slash where he does Cyclone instead, personally.

Still can't believe Shulk is in Smash.

Still watching his trailer nonstop.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else think it's kind of cheap that Shulk's leaked/official artwork is just an altered Little Mac? Glad his character model isn't the same way
What the hell are you talking about? It's completely different then Little Mac's.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
His Monado Arts ability allows himself to buff certain stats to an extreme level, at the expense of suffering a debuff too.

[List of Monado Arts]
翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
His Monado Arts ability allows himself to buff certain stats to an extreme level, at the expense of suffering a debuff too.

[List of Monado Arts]
翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.
Every character has a weakness:kirby hits hard but is too light,link can't recover, captain falcon has zero range(brawl he's crap),ganons too slow,little Mac prefers the land,I'm guess Shulks recovery is mediocre since he has monado jump?

D

Deleted member

Every character has a weakness:kirby hits hard but is too light,link can't recover, captain falcon has zero range(brawl he's crap),ganons too slow,little Mac prefers the land,I'm guess Shulks recovery is mediocre since he has monado jump?
I think Shulk's main strength will be his incredible reach; look at all of his smash attacks! That's quite a bit of range!
I think a weakness will be the ending of his attacks. As we see from his side smash (I assume that Slit Edge is his side smash), his up smash, and his side special Back Slash, he leaves himself quite open for an attack.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, Shulk's ability to recover is great if he use the Jump Monado Art, and his Up Special seems to have decent vertical coverage.

However, you can only use one Monado Art at a time. Since each Monado Art comes with an extreme buff and an extreme debuff, Shulk constantly has a huge weakness depending on the active Monado Art. And while he has a huge buff too, these buffs will be very situational in use. For example, I can't see Speed getting a lot of use on Final Destination or Battlefield, since his regular speed isn't terrible anyway, so equipping Speed in this instance would do nothing for you, except make your attacks weaker.

I think Buster, Smash, and Shield will be universally useful and will be the primary Monado Arts for Shulk players. Jump and Speed will really only depend on the stage, though. Jump might be used to extend aerial combos though.

However, from the looks of it, the little poses Shulk performs when switching Monado Arts could leave him open. They player may be able to interrupt these animations fine, which would mean there is no problem here, but if they can't, then switching Monado Arts quickly for the sake of comboing may not be possible. We'll just have to wait and see on that front.

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
I think Buster, Smash, and Shield will be universally useful and will be the primary Monado Arts for Shulk players. Jump and Speed will really only depend on the stage, though. Jump might be used to extend aerial combos though.

However, from the looks of it, the little poses Shulk performs when switching Monado Arts could leave him open. They player may be able to interrupt these animations fine, which would mean there is no problem here, but if they can't, then switching Monado Arts quickly for the sake of comboing may not be possible. We'll just have to wait and see on that front.[/quote] well it seems shield will be used at high damage, buster will pile on damage, which might be combined with smash.Jump might make Shulk more of an air fight,maybe marth

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
However, from the looks of it, the little poses Shulk performs when switching Monado Arts could leave him open. They player may be able to interrupt these animations fine, which would mean there is no problem here, but if they can't, then switching Monado Arts quickly for the sake of comboing may not be possible. We'll just have to wait and see on that front.
I dunno if these poses are actually part of the game. The leaked battle footage with Shulk and Ganondorf on Yoshi's Island had Shulk running around and even jumping while the arts changed. I think the trailer used taunts or others to put close ups on the changes to the Monado.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I dunno if these poses are actually part of the game. The leaked battle footage with Shulk and Ganondorf on Yoshi's Island had Shulk running around and even jumping while the arts changed. I think the trailer used taunts or others to put close ups on the changes to the Monado.
They seemed to perfectly match each Monado Art though (he crossed his arms for Shield, he did a little pose indicating he was ready to run for Speed, etc).

Unless this property can be changed via custom specials, at the expense of the buffs and debuffs not being quite as powerful as when you keep the poses on (meaning what was seen in the leak was him using a custom version of the Monado Arts special).

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
They seemed to perfectly match each Monado Art though (he crossed his arms for Shield, he did a little pose indicating he was ready to run for Speed, etc).

Unless this property can be changed via custom specials, at the expense of the buffs and debuffs not being quite as powerful as when you keep the poses on (meaning what was seen in the leak was him using a custom version of the Monado Arts special).
I'm using shulknonline,gonna make ppl lose to a character they don't know

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I love that the gif of Shulk I made is now everwhere :D
What I regret is using Rinkara's art of Shulk and just animating it. D:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Shulk's main strength will be his incredible reach; look at all of his smash attacks! That's quite a bit of range!
I think a weakness will be the ending of his attacks. As we see from his side smash (I assume that Slit Edge is his side smash), his up smash, and his side special Back Slash, he leaves himself quite open for an attack.
That's a pretty normal mentality with games like this.

If you give a character long range normals, there has to be a cost. This can range from extensive lag to only working in specific areas. Of course, when you do that, there is the glaring hole with being unable to handle pressure. Hence why those type of characters often play defensively, preferring to widdle down the opponent's HP from a safe distance until there is a safe opportunity to strike.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Took me long enough but I finally updated the OP. Got the Pic of the day, the new scans, and some images. Tell me what else I need guys.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Erm... question time.

Should someone else be the owner of this thread, for the sake of more consistent updates in the future?

Last edited:

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I really hope they reveal Reyn or Dunban as an alternate for Shulk.

...hey, it could happen!

And then Reyn would be an alt of Bowser, and Seven would be an alt of Rosalina!

This is my new pet theory, you guys.

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

...hey, it could happen!

Riki could be the alt of Kirby or Meta Knight, Sharla could be Zero Suit alt. Melia as Zelda. The forward air, "Now, starlight kick!"

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

...hey, it could happen!

Reyn can't wield the Monado, and Dunban's already a final smash! There's only one character awesome enough to be a suitable Shulk alt.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I got a feeling people who can keep the pressure on him like :4littlemac: or :4metaknight: are gonna be the best counters against shulk because I'm thinking he will need time to switch between each art so someone who can keep going at him could give him trouble

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ GuyWithTheFace GuyWithTheFace
Well, it does make sense in more ways than one...
Though his colors shown so far are excellent, I hope for more alts.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Erm... question time.

Should someone else be the owner of this thread, for the sake of more consistent updates in the future?
There really isn't much else to update. The core information is out and now it's in the OP.

Now, the only X factor is I'm staying away from the internet for the three weeks till release (and I won't be in the same state for two of them). So there is always that.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Took me long enough but I finally updated the OP. Got the Pic of the day, the new scans, and some images. Tell me what else I need guys.
I'd recommend getting with @BluePikmin11 so he can give you the full supporter list. I know it doesn't mean much now that he's confirmed, but it would be nice to have the full thing on the OP.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd recommend getting with @BluePikmin11 so he can give you the full supporter list. I know it doesn't mean much now that he's confirmed, but it would be nice to have the full thing on the OP.
I wasn't going to because of the reason you mentioned. No reason to support him now that he's in (not like it mattered. but whatever). Just play as him. I'll see about it though.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I can't think of anything.
Erm... question time.

No, social threads don't require much if any op updating. Their main purpose is just to house other people's socialization.
Reyn can't wield the Monado, and Dunban's already a final smash! There's only one character awesome enough to be a suitable Shulk alt.
Yes! That would be very cool.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So how many alts have we seen so far (sorry, missed it) ? If we saw 4 it is highly possible we get an actual alt. costume (and yes, they guy posted earlier would be perfect, i really hated how he was only in your actual team for like 2 minutes ._. His abilities were so badass, miles over the ones Shulk (at least on my level) has...).

If we got even one more we most likely won't get an alt. , because in the other instances where there are 2 version of the character we have 4 alts for one and 4 for the other (well except the rumoured 7 koopalings for bowser jr.).

Also, is it just me, or is Shulk (except for bossbattles with instantkillmoves or ridiculous auras) the one you can switch out for another character the most easy?
Like, Reyn is a given because Dunban cannot tank **** , Sharla is the only one (at least where I'm at) that can fill the role of a healer, and without her pretty much all bosses and unique mobs become a pain or even close to unbeatable, and Shulk only brings protection from special abilities (which Melia can also provide) and aura lock (Melia has that too...just not as reliable because Trance (i love that slight Final Fanatasy tribute there...or is it just me that sees it?))...The only reason to take Shulk is when fighting Mechon, and even then, Dunban can hurt them anyway and topple on his own, i guess Melia will also be able to damage them, and sharla is only there as a healbot most of the time anyways. (I frickin love Melia's playstyle...dat unique swing at mages is wonderful)

EDIT: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/smashbros_3ds_event2014/index.html

Demo of the final build. If Shulk is a starter we might get to see some gameplay from him :o

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom