• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

(I know its Metal Face but this still amused me)
After watching the trailer for Shulk, I thought to myself "We can only see a shadow and Sakurai implied he's a boss but never officially stated he's not playable - Metal Face confirmed for Smash!"

I'm sorry Ridley fans, I had to make the joke. I kinda do wanna see playable Ridley, honest.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
So I'm wondering... is there a piece of head gear in Xenoblade that gives your characters a top hat?

Like, Reyn is a given because Dunban cannot tank **** , Sharla is the only one (at least where I'm at) that can fill the role of a healer, and without her pretty much all bosses and unique mobs become a pain or even close to unbeatable, and Shulk only brings protection from special abilities (which Melia can also provide) and aura lock (Melia has that too...just not as reliable because Trance (i love that slight Final Fanatasy tribute there...or is it just me that sees it?))...The only reason to take Shulk is when fighting Mechon, and even then, Dunban can hurt them anyway and topple on his own, i guess Melia will also be able to damage them, and sharla is only there as a healbot most of the time anyways. (I frickin love Melia's playstyle...dat unique swing at mages is wonderful)
I know right! Melia's awesome!

Dunban can't tank? My Dunban's doing a good job in tanking (By tanking, I meant dodging)

Shulk's versatile. He can do a lot of things and plus, the visions really help. Also, his monado arts come in handy even though if there are already other arts that do the same thing, but the main draw is that Shulk has ALL of it. You name it. Damage reduction buffs, sealing, mechon damage enabling, and more. The mere fact that he can do all that makes him an all-around character.

Then again, you can survive without Shulk in your party. It's by all means do-able anyway

Last edited:

Ninjendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninjendo92
Like, Reyn is a given because Dunban cannot tank **** , Sharla is the only one (at least where I'm at) that can fill the role of a healer, and without her pretty much all bosses and unique mobs become a pain or even close to unbeatable, and Shulk only brings protection from special abilities (which Melia can also provide) and aura lock (Melia has that too...just not as reliable because Trance (i love that slight Final Fanatasy tribute there...or is it just me that sees it?))...The only reason to take Shulk is when fighting Mechon, and even then, Dunban can hurt them anyway and topple on his own, i guess Melia will also be able to damage them, and sharla is only there as a healbot most of the time anyways. (I frickin love Melia's playstyle...dat unique swing at mages is wonderful)
I don't know how you're speccing him but Dunban is the most amazing tank 0: Also, I've played through the entire game without Sharla multiple times (when I was able to switch her out I mean). As long as you have high DPS, there really isn't any need to have her. Plus, the Heropon's You Can Do It and any additional healing done via skill links is more than enough.
Shulk does amazing damage, he's not just good for mechon you know! Plus, some enemy talent arts are so severe it's incredibly helpful to have Shield on hand.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I don't know how you're speccing him but Dunban is the most amazing tank 0: Also, I've played through the entire game without Sharla multiple times (when I was able to switch her out I mean). As long as you have high DPS, there really isn't any need to have her. Plus, the Heropon's You Can Do It and any additional healing done via skill links is more than enough.
Shulk does amazing damage, he's not just good for mechon you know! Plus, some enemy talent arts are so severe it's incredibly helpful to have Shield on hand.
Well, i have agility on basically every piece of gear (well one or 2 strength gems mixed in), and about everything he has that can pull aggro...however the second there is 2 or more enemies he becomes useless (maybe that'll change later in the game), as he cannot hold multiple aggros if his life depended on it, and he doesn't dodge nearly enough to ever want to take him over reyn. And well, without Sharlas heals its just useless.
I know right! Melia's awesome!

Dunban can't tank? My Dunban's doing a good job in tanking (By tanking, I meant dodging)

Shulk's versatile. He can do a lot of things and plus, the visions really help. Also, his monado arts come in handy even though if there are already other arts that do the same thing, but the main draw is that Shulk has ALL of it. You name it. Damage reduction buffs, sealing, mechon damage enabling, and more. The mere fact that he can do all that makes him an all-around character.

Then again, you can survive without Shulk in your party. It's by all means do-able anyway
I know he is versatile and all, but the thing is Sharla and Reyn(or if you say so, Dunban) are 100% locks, so the only one to exchange if you want to play as any other team except the standard Shulk/Reyn/Sharla would be a PAIN. Thats what 'Im getting at, i have to change Shulk because the other 2 are just too important for winning fights. Could you imagine trying to win against the Telathia with, like, Dunban/Shulk/Melia (Or Riki/Shulk/Melia etc.)? I can't. Because it fires 2 Ethercanons or charges and the whole team is dead. Especially when it goes for the "suck special ability charge" + immediate mindreading aura combo... Getting Shulks special gauge back up is a PAIN. And sure, you can use Melias ability, but by the time you did that that thing will activate superhealing aura and be full before you charged Shulk's Monado Purge.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Reyn can't wield the Monado, and Dunban's already a final smash! There's only one character awesome enough to be a suitable Shulk alt.
If this is an alt costume, I'm going to die of happiness. I will be the best [character's name] main in existence. That character is already my favorite in the game

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
If this is an alt costume, I'm going to die of happiness. I will be the best [character's name] main in existence. That character is already my favorite in the game
But [character's name] is actually a [thing he's revealed to be in the epilogue scene]! How can he be your favorite when [party member seven] is a freakin' naturally occurring cyborg, which is clearly better than [thing character from image is revealed to be in the epilogue scene]?

anybody who hasn't played Xenoblade will be so confused right now I think, lol

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Well, i have agility on basically every piece of gear (well one or 2 strength gems mixed in), and about everything he has that can pull aggro...however the second there is 2 or more enemies he becomes useless (maybe that'll change later in the game), as he cannot hold multiple aggros if his life depended on it, and he doesn't dodge nearly enough to ever want to take him over reyn. And well, without Sharlas heals its just useless.
That's why you take off his clothes.

Seriously, with the right skills/links, naked Dunban is the best tank in the game.
But [character's name] is actually a [thing he's revealed to be in the epilogue scene]! How can he be your favorite when [party member seven] is a freakin' naturally occurring cyborg, which is clearly better than [thing character from image is revealed to be in the epilogue scene]?

anybody who hasn't played Xenoblade will be so confused right now I think, lol
You really dissin' my favorite character right now, chica? You're walkin' on thin ice here. Don't make me reset the universe on you.

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
lel we should have a not sure if spoilers for where you may go in the game but
High Entia
costume for shulk

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
That climb final round thing in miiverse last night will be great for Shulk. Imagine how high Shulk will be jumping with jump boosts from Smash Run and also jump mode activated
:4shulk:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
My copy of Xenoblade Chronicles just came in today! Gonna go on a 6 hour binge right now, so excited! ;)

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Question: Why can't the Monado hurt them freaking bird people when its supposed to only not hurt homs? Made that double bossfight a little lengthy... Geez.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Question: Why can't the Monado hurt them freaking bird people when its supposed to only not hurt homs? Made that double bossfight a little lengthy... Geez.
Actually, the Monado can't hurt "people of the Bionis," which means any sentient species born of the Bionis' Ether. This includes Nopon, High Entia, and Giants as well as Homs.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

I know he is versatile and all, but the thing is Sharla and Reyn(or if you say so, Dunban) are 100% locks, so the only one to exchange if you want to play as any other team except the standard Shulk/Reyn/Sharla would be a PAIN. Thats what 'Im getting at, i have to change Shulk because the other 2 are just too important for winning fights. Could you imagine trying to win against the Telathia with, like, Dunban/Shulk/Melia (Or Riki/Shulk/Melia etc.)? I can't. Because it fires 2 Ethercanons or charges and the whole team is dead. Especially when it goes for the "suck special ability charge" + immediate mindreading aura combo... Getting Shulks special gauge back up is a PAIN. And sure, you can use Melias ability, but by the time you did that that thing will activate superhealing aura and be full before you charged Shulk's Monado Purge.
Actually Dunban/Shulk/Melia was the team I used for pretty much the entire final arc of the game, including the final boss, and it worked pretty well, in my humble opinion. I led with Melia, of course, because her AI is awful.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Actually Dunban/Shulk/Melia was the team I used for pretty much the entire final arc of the game, including the final boss, and it worked pretty well, in my humble opinion. I led with Melia, of course, because her AI is awful.
Well i cannot see how i should get that to work, as pretty much all that keeps me from wiping at bosses (like that dual bosss) is Sharlas constant healing.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I like Melia a whole lot, and I used to use her as my lead, up until a certain point where I missed using Shulk (because his moves "felt good" to use). I wanted to keep her in my party but her AI is just terribad, and it'll just be Shulk and Reyn doing the work while Melia is stuck standing around with her Elements active, lol. As soon as I got Seven, I've effectively replaced her. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well i cannot see how i should get that to work, as pretty much all that keeps me from wiping at bosses (like that dual bosss) is Sharlas constant healing.
Are you linking skills and making sure the other skill trees for characters are getting leveled? I took a break for some reason after getting to Bionis' Leg and totally forgot all the things it taught me at the beginning, so it took until I got to like, Eryth Sea to realize. :facepalm::facepalm:

Really, any party combination can work with the right setup. I got through a good later chunk of the game without an actual healer.

It sort of hurt when I lent the game to my two friends who are much less obsessive than I, and they had like zero trouble with any of the mechanics/trees/what have you.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Try experimenting around, all the characters can be used in a good setup with each other. Riki could serve as the healer, but also can dish out a lot of damage and fill up the party gauge quickly. Once you're able to get a chain attack going, you'll be able to keep creating new ones by fulfilling the criteria of moves, like Backslash.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Are you linking skills and making sure the other skill trees for characters are getting leveled? I took a break for some reason after getting to Bionis' Leg and totally forgot all the things it taught me at the beginning, so it took until I got to like, Eryth Sea to realize. :facepalm::facepalm:

Really, any party combination can work with the right setup. I got through a good later chunk of the game without an actual healer.

It sort of hurt when I lent the game to my two friends who are much less obsessive than I, and they had like zero trouble with any of the mechanics/trees/what have you.
Yeah i'm switching those around and linked skills, but it is still always extremely close even with Sharla, or rather said, some bosses feel really easy and then there is those that give the impression of "no heals? you die".

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
My party is usually Dunban, Shulk, and Seven. Either that or Dunban, Seven, and Riki. Both setups are super spammy and fill up the chain gauge so quickly.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah i'm switching those around and linked skills, but it is still always extremely close even with Sharla, or rather said, some bosses feel really easy and then there is those that give the impression of "no heals? you die".
I mean, Melia/Riki (with Aggro gems)/Sharla is a really heal-tastic, easy party, that can pretty much wreck everything, so you might look into that; but I was somehow able to fight a couple of the hardest bosses in the game (who happen later than where you're at so I don't want to spoil anything) with a party that just had alot of damage output (and also a character you haven't got yet, so I can't say either.)

I wish I could help you figure out what issues you're having, but the best I can say is sometimes high dps, slight healing (Shulk's Light Heal, maybe some gems) and good party gauge builders can be the key to victory.

D

Deleted member

Shulk's reveal trailer is already platinum.

But when you remark Robin's presence near of the end, it becomes a Level Infinity Epic Super trailer, Plus.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I mean, Melia/Riki (with Aggro gems)/Sharla is a really heal-tastic, easy party, that can pretty much wreck everything, so you might look into that; but I was somehow able to fight a couple of the hardest bosses in the game (who happen later than where you're at so I don't want to spoil anything) with a party that just had alot of damage output (and also a character you haven't got yet, so I can't say either.)

I wish I could help you figure out what issues you're having, but the best I can say is sometimes high dps, slight healing (Shulk's Light Heal, maybe some gems) and good party gauge builders can be the key to victory.
Well, someone spoiled the identity of "Seven" ages ago anyway, but I'm going to use Seven because of who Seven is, too. Oh well maybe I'll just grind every single Sidequest i can find (that isn't finding 100 random things that have a chance of like 1 in a hundred of spawning i mean), so i overlevel enough to make anything viable with my seemingly lacking skill.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Oh well maybe I'll just grind every single Sidequest i can find (that isn't finding 100 random things that have a chance of like 1 in a hundred of spawning i mean), so i overlevel enough to make anything viable with my seemingly lacking skill.
Rainbow Slugs, Fossil Monkeys, can't think of any else that have a horrendous spawn rate. Most of the others you could trade for.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Well, someone spoiled the identity of "Seven" ages ago anyway, but I'm going to use Seven because of who Seven is, too. Oh well maybe I'll just grind every single Sidequest i can find (that isn't finding 100 random things that have a chance of like 1 in a hundred of spawning i mean), so i overlevel enough to make anything viable with my seemingly lacking skill.
Well, I didn't see that, and many people have joined this thread late, so it's best if we don't spoil it again, unless we, you know, put it in spoiler tags. Although, I'm not too sure how effective those are ^^;

Maybe it was me who spoiled it, IDK, but I put it in spoiler tags. Maybe I should go find that and put a reason for the spoiler tags...

Last edited:

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Don't forget Ice Cabbages. *Shudder*

Oh, and Grape Springs.
Chuggaaconroy Sez that Kneecap Rocks are pretty rare too. Worse is that you need like 4 star affinity with Colony 9 to trade for them, when you need them for a couple of quests in the area.

Also, Fiora is my favorite character to play as, and I am SO SAD that you lose her.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Chuggaaconroy Sez that Kneecap Rocks are pretty rare too. Worse is that you need like 4:starman: affinity with Colony 9 to get them, when you need them for a couple of quests in the area.
Strangely enough, I never really had any problems finding Kneecap Rocks. Clear Almonds, however...

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Am
I once went past the point where you get locked out of that area, looked up what materials I needed for Colony 6, and spent the next half an hour searching after going to a previous save.
Am I the only guy who used Riki,Reyn and Shulk?

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Am

Am I the only guy who used Riki,Reyn and Shulk?
No, I actually plan to use that team once I get the game.

...although I kinda want to have Sharla in my team just to spite Chuggaaconroy. He bashes on her every time he changes his party, I swear.

D

Deleted member

So, anyone thing that Shulk's stance is a clever reference to how battles work in Xenoblade? You know how you're forced to face the enemy when you attack them? If Shulk was "attacking" he'd be unable to turn around. So instead, he's attacking, then running away.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but w/e.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Here's what im listening to.
Okay. who's the new guy? is he a descendant of Shulk? Speaking of the new game you think there will be any content from X in this game?

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Okay. who's the new guy? is he a descendant of Shulk? Speaking of the new game you think there will be any content from X in this game?
I'm at least expecting trophies of certain dolls, or just the main red one we see constantly.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
X is supposedly not related to Xenoblade, but considering Xenoblade's ending...

Also, X looks SOOO good, like I want to pick up a Wii U JUST for it and it would be WORTH IT

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I'm at least expecting trophies of certain dolls, or just the main red one we see constantly.
About the color of the dolls, do you think that colors would effect attributes of the doll? Like red ones have higher attack, blue ones for defense and green ones are the fastest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom