• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I've played it only for a little bit (because like I said, emulating it is kind of a pain), so I'm probably wrong, but so far I don't actually really like Shulk in terms of character. He seems more like just a host for the Monado than anything else, and the way he keeps on talking about it just reinforces that. Once again, I haven't played a lot of it so I might be wrong.
yeah as said early on he can give that vibe off but he really starts to devolope as the game takes full coruse

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So.... now that there's a Xenoblade composer in Smash4, what could it mean? (well, aside from probably doing arrangements)
I'm all for Xenoblade music in Smash 4, but it would be lame not having a character.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
They NEVER mention a franchises name in Smash unless they're doing something.
Seems like Japan's getting their Monster Hunter, and we're getting our Shulk.
Look at the Brawl Dojo update that showed the composers.

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/music/music01.html

Mentioning a franchise in this context means very little. I wouldn't read too much into it without more specific circumstances (e.g. they have no previous credits for series already in Smash4). It means less if they already have a relationship with Nintendo.
To anyone who doesn't think that the list of composers don't means much.

I did some research and the only stuff Yoko has done for Nintendo is Xenoblade, and Mario And Luigi.
So the only stuff she's done is contribute to five Mario RPG titles. The Mario & Luigi titles have sold around 9 million copies on Nintendo handhelds... She also contributed to Brawl... on Mario & Luigi music. Probably not important. I dunno, seems like those games would be a good candidate for a medley on the Paper Mario 3DS stage considering the emphasis on handheld games. But I'm sure she's only in because of Xenoblade.

Yasunori Mitsuda contributed to Mario Party, Brawl (not working on his own music at all!) and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I would not read much into either of their inclusions - ACE is the only one that hints at Xenoblade, IMO, and it's not as strong a hint as people are making out since other composers have worked on Smash without bringing their series into the game.

That said, there are plenty of other reasons to think Shulk is in, and I support him being in. But this is only a hint, not a confirmation.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I've played it only for a little bit (because like I said, emulating it is kind of a pain), so I'm probably wrong, but so far I don't actually really like Shulk in terms of character. He seems more like just a host for the Monado than anything else, and the way he keeps on talking about it just reinforces that. Once again, I haven't played a lot of it so I might be wrong.
I'm laughing so hard and because you haven't played the game you won't know why. XD

The Xenoblade composers helping out with the game certainly seems very helpful to Shulk's chances, but now more than ever I'm scared at getting too confident. I'm excited, that much is for sure.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
don't worry Shulk goes through a lot of character development that makes him better.

not that it's really gonna matter much in smash

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Well I hope for everyone in this thread's sake he makes it in. I've never played or even seen Xenoblade, but Shulk seems to be one of the most popular underdogs. At least I would believe again that dreams come true hahaha. If he's actually interesting to play as, it'd be great for him to make it in instead of some other lame character *coughcoughHuntingDogAndChorusBoyscoughcough*.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I'm laughing so hard and because you haven't played the game you won't know why. XD

The Xenoblade composers helping out with the game certainly seems very helpful to Shulk's chances, but now more than ever I'm scared at getting too confident. I'm excited, that much is for sure.
It took me about a good 10 seconds to figure out what you meant, still. So much goodness.

We mustn't be careless about the composers confirming Shulk. It's helpful, but not immediate. But the clock is ticking, so we will know soon whether or not he is truly in.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I wonder how many people are jumping onto the Shulk train because of the "leak." After all, #MonadoMonday did get us 300 extra people on the supporters list who all didn't come back afterwards. Seems a bit suspicious.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how many people are jumping onto the Shulk train because of the "leak." After all, #MonadoMonday did get us 300 extra people on the supporters list who all didn't come back afterwards. Seems a bit suspicious.
Well, honestly, does it matter? If they support Shulk, they support Shulk, be it a bit bandwagon-y or not.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
True, but it also got us quite a few that did stick around, like me. :)

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Shulk seems like a cool character. He's definitely grown on me. Looking forward to trying him out if he is indeed playable.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, honestly, does it matter? If they support Shulk, they support Shulk, be it a bit bandwagon-y or not.
Exactly. I looked into Shulk because of Gematsu. Even if Gematsu is unconscious and bloodied (aka almost certainly dead), it still introduced me to Shulk. And look at me now. Beaten and loved Xenoblade Chronicles, and *points to sig and avatar*

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This may sound a bit odd, but it may be that people are prone to support characters that they believe are inevitable. We've seen this when support for characters like Shulk and Chorus Men drastically increased when they were revealed as part of the Gematsu "leak," and when Palutena support increased when that convincing "leak" of her surfaced. Once people are convinced a character is in the game, they may be more supportive of their inclusion. At least, that's my theory based on what's happened in the past.

Ironically, that kind of goes against the overall message of Xenoblade, doesn't it?

"Even if everything has been predestined, will you not oppose it?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It isn't predestined! We have been shaping our own future!
The truth of the matter is that all the support in this thread, or any other thread, really has no impact on the roster. That's all been set in stone a long time ago. All we can do is speculate and try to predict what that predetermined outcome will be.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
The truth of the matter is that all the support in this thread, or any other thread, really has no impact on the roster. That's all been set in stone a long time ago. All we can do is speculate and try to predict what that predetermined outcome will be.
You're sounding an awful lot like a certain jerkass god right now. :b

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
About the "don't get too hyped or you'll crash" thing. My opinion is, we're suporters right ? We have to support our champion till the end whatever the outcome.
If he doesn't make it in, I'll bare the pain proudly, like I did when Chrom was discomfirm.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
The list of artists and popular compositions for each game doesn't mean much, but ACE's mere invitation to Sakurai's studio does tease Xenoblade content. If he did play Xenoblade, then he probably loved the game's music, which explains their role for Smash.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
And me! c:

ugh, now I can't wait for Monday :urg:
Sakurai is the only man who could make weekends such a drag xD
About the "don't get too hyped or you'll crash" thing. My opinion is, we're suporters right ? We have to support our champion till the end whatever the outcome.
If he doesn't make it in, I'll bare the pain proudly, like I did when Chrom was discomfirm.
that'd be a rather painful double whammy

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
For Xenoblade music to be in Smash 3ds it probably means a Xenoblade stage. Remember that at the Smash direct Sakurai said that the 3ds versions of the stages will only have two different songs. If the music was a part of a non-Xenoblade 3ds stage then half of the music of that stage would be Xenoblade. I'll admit it's possible but pretty unlikely. While Fire Emblem music was on Melee's Hyrule Temple stage, that was only because there was two Fire Emblem characters without their own stage. Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest a fire emblem stage was originally planned for Melee but then cut in development.

You can further extend this to if there is a Xenoblade stage on the 3ds version of the game, there is probably also a playable Xenoblade character. There have only been two stages to be included in the game without character representation, and each has their own reasons. The first is Smashville which represents the Animal Crossing series. There is a good chance that this stage is included due to the same reasons as why (or due to the fact that) Villager was originally planned to be apart of the Brawl Roster. In Famitsu, Sakurai states, "In fact, we had previously removed the villager from Super Smash Bros Brawl in the planning stages because he wasn't suited for battle." Shulk is very suited for battle, so this reasoning would not apply to him. The other stage is Hanenbow which represents the game Electroplankton. In this case, the reason for the lack of character representation is that the game has no characters other than the plankton, which you can see flying around and bouncing off of the leaves in the stage.

There are a number of titles that make appearances on stages not related to their titles. However, as previously stated, such appearances are unlikely on the 3ds version of the game due to only 2 music pieces per stage. I made a list of these anyways.
NES title: Mach Rider
NES title: Shin Onigashima
NES title: Clu Clu Land
NES title: Balloon Fighter (Song names: Balloon Trip, Balloon Fighter)
NES title: Stack-Up and Gyromite (song is called Gyrmoite, contains arrangements from both games)
NES title: The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Takamaru's game) (song title: Douchuumen)
NES title: Tetris (Tetris: Type A, Tetris: Type B)
NES title: 3D Hot Rally
NES title: X (Song name: Tunnel Scene)
SNES title: Tetris Attack (Lip's Theme)
N64 title: 1080° Snowboarding (Song name: Golden Forest)
GBA title: Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Song name: Battle Scene / Final Boss)
DS title: Personal Trainer: Cooking (Song title: Shaberu! Ds Cooking Navi)
DS title: Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day
DS title: Chōsōjū Mecha MG
DS Feature: Pictochat song
Ds title and Wii title: Big Brain Academy and Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Wii title: Wii Sports (opening theme)
Wii title: Wii Play (Song title: Charge!)
Wii title: Excite Truck
Wii Feature: Mii Channel song
Wii Feature: Wii Shop Channel song

Titles apart of the Famicom Medley song:
Excitebike
Punch-Out!!
Devil World
Duck Hunt
Famicom Tantei Club Part II
Urban Champion

Finally, some wonder if the inclusion Ace, Yoko Shimomura, and Yasunori Mitsuda, all the composers of Xenoblade, actually means Xenoblade music will be in the game. Shimomura and Mitsuda both have made arrangements for Brawl. Shimomura arranged "Tetris Type A", "Gritzy Desert", and "King Dedede's Theme" while Mitsuda arranged "Vs. Marx" and "World Map (Pikmin 2)." There is a solid chance that some of these songs may make their way back into ssb4, or additionally, that these composers are creating new arrangements for SSB4. They are both big names in video game music, explaining why they would be asked to arrange. There is still a chance that ssb4 is not using the named brawl arrangements or doing arrangements for ssb4. While that possibility is open, it's still important that they are composers for Xenoblade, so if there is Xenoblade music in the game their names would have to be there.

The greatest news, however, comes from ACE being on the list. ACE is not nearly as well known as Shimomura and Mitsuda, as you should be able to tell by their second main composition being One Piece Exhibition. Their inclusion on the list likely either means Xenoblade music is in the game or that they are arranging for SSB4, due to not taking part in the compositions of any other large titles. Additionally, due to their lack of fame, it is much more unlikely for them to have been asked to arrange for Smash 4, making the chances for Xenoblade music high.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So the leak believers seem to all think that Shulk is an Ike-clone...

Am I the only one who would rather he be an AT than a clone of a character from a totally different series?

I'm still annoyed at how Ganondorf was not given actual Ganondorf moves in Melee... and mostly kept that way for Brawl.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I don't see it. We have one shot of what looks like a jab, but may not be. I'd still play him, but I literally don't see what they're talking about. According to Ninka, he's a mode-changer, which doesn't exactly scream "clone" to me. Besides, minus Tink, all the clones were intended alts.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
About Shulk being an Ike clone... remember, Samus and Captain Falcon always shared a few animations and one or two moves. Jiggly Puff and Kirby have also had the same thing going on since Smash 64. Recently it's been shown that Flacon and Little Mac share some animations. Having a few things in common doesn't make you a clone. In addition, Ike's specials, except for maybe counter, make no sense for Shulk.

Nice to see so many new faces around here.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
We're getting so many new supporters! Hope you guys stick around!

Once again, I'd like to mention the Shulk supporter social convo exists, and I made it. If any of you guys want to enter and get comfortable with a lot of the regulars around here, PM me or post on my profile or contact @ Solfiner Solfiner or @Hokori or whoever the heck else is premium. We've got 12 spots left before the convo is full, so I guess we have enough room.

I guess.

Now if only we could get a Shulk reveal soon and get that subforum... The bad fanfic thread still has yet to be born!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
About Shulk being an Ike clone... remember, Samus and Captain Falcon always shared a few animations and one or two moves. Jiggly Puff and Kirby have also had the same thing going on since Smash 64. Recently it's been shown that Flacon and Little Mac share some animations. Having a few things in common doesn't make you a clone. In addition, Ike's specials, except for maybe counter, make no sense for Shulk.

Nice to see so many new faces around here.
That's a lot of fish new supporters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Now if only we could get a Shulk reveal soon and get that subforum... The bad fanfic thread still has yet to be born!
Oh God, please no more Shulk fanfics. I've already been scarred by one of those already.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
"[...] Whatever happens, we'll face our future together." - Shulk, from somewhere near Xenoblade's ending. We're in this together!

On the topic of the soundtracks, I have to wonder; why just ACE and not ACE+ like they were for Xenoblade? (Note that the difference is they go by ACE+ when Kenji Hiramatsu is with them.) I don't know why he'd not be there too. I suppose it doesn't really mean much since they'd be able to arrange it alone. Just something I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom