• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Hi everyone I am new here and this is my very first post :) this might have been asked already (I couldn't find it though):
Is there a chance shulk would be a clone of ike?
In the supposed leak screenshot he is showed punching and that attack seems to resemble ike's standard A.
In the Css he is before the third party charachters but also right after the clones which leaves me wondering... I know the leaker said not all the char. were supposively unlocked so things could change but still...
What do you think of it?

(assumed the css leak and the screenshots are legit, which i am still not convinced totally of)
This scares me, but if shulk is a clone he'd just complete the row with the clones, yea?

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Don't get too hyped for Shulk being a lock, guys. People were going into the Chrom thread and congratulating people there before July and look what happened. Stay cautious, alright?

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Don't get too hyped for Shulk being a lock, guys. People were going into the Chrom thread and congratulating people there before July and look what happened. Stay cautious, alright?
"The doubt is weak. But don't drop your guard!"
I'm still super hyped now...
Also, this intensifies the hype even more:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why can't I like a post more than once?

The truth of the matter is that there are no shoo-ins, merely characters that appear to be very likely. Shulk is not guaranteed to be in this game. I think it's likely that he will be in, but it's unwise to think that he's an absolute shoo-in. Doing so only sets yourself up for potential disappointment. It also makes you look kind of annoying to others...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

The truth of the matter is that there are no shoo-ins, merely characters that appear to be very likely. Shulk is not guaranteed to be in this game. I think it's likely that he will be in, but it's unwise to think that he's an absolute shoo-in. Doing so only sets yourself up for potential disappointment. It also makes you look kind of annoying to others...
Yes! That's totally true! Stop being so irritatingly overconfident, or possibly suffer the consequences! eheeee dont worry ridley its guaranteed you have a spot in the roster...

But seriously though, don't put too much of your hype in the composer list. In fact, just keep your hype for your favourite characters as low as possible. If Shulk turns out to not be in the game/be an assist trophy, it will sting less, and if he is playable then the reward will be all the sweeter.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I'm really glad that Xenoblade's compositor is here ! Xenoblade has one of the best OST in the gaming world (it was my favourite until Bravely Default).

And I may be crazy, but I'm also excited for the next smash bros, because of Xenoblade Chronicle X's compositor, Sawano Hiroyuki (Shingeki No Kyojin, Ao No Exorcist, Kill La Kill and more) who may be in our next iteration !

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Y'all who are thinking this means Shulk is a playable character in the game.

It's cool that Xenoblade is at the top of the "Main Compositions" column and all, but like others are saying, it's not a song list. It's listing famous games/songs the composers have worked on in the past, not songs that will appear in the game. If that were true, the game would have songs from Tekken, Katamari, Romancing Saga, Idolmaster, Walküre, Taiko Drum Master, Chrono Trigger, and more. Which it obviously won't.

Take it from a hardcore and now bitter Ghirahim supporter, even a character-specific theme song being in the game doesn't mean that character will actually be playable. So having a composer that worked on Xenoblade (and other titles) doesn't mean there will even be a Xenoblade song, much less a Xenoblade character.

Not saying Shulk will or won't get in, just saying the list could just as easily signify nothing as something.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Y'all who are thinking this means Shulk is a playable character in the game.

It's cool that Xenoblade is at the top of the "Main Compositions" column and all, but like others are saying, it's not a song list. It's listing famous games/songs the composers have worked on in the past, not songs that will appear in the game. If that were true, the game would have songs from Tekken, Katamari, Romancing Saga, Idolmaster, Walküre, Taiko Drum Master, Chrono Trigger, and more. Which it obviously won't.

Take it from a hardcore and now bitter Ghirahim supporter, even a character-specific theme song being in the game doesn't mean that character will actually be playable. So having a composer that worked on Xenoblade (and other titles) doesn't mean there will even be a Xenoblade song, much less a Xenoblade character.

Not saying Shulk will or won't get in, just saying the list could just as easily signify nothing as something.
The main thing in my opinion, is that it isn't one composer. It's 3 of them.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Great to see such talented musicians working on Smash Bros. yet again. Happy Xenoblade composers are going to be apart of this.

In regards to Shulk, I believe he does have a good chance of being a playable, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. There's always the possibility that he might not be a newcomer so its best one doesn't over hype to avoid severe disappointment.

And with most of the Xenoblade composers present, I don't know whether this would mean anything towards Shulk's inclusion. I'm not counting on it.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
The main thing in my opinion, is that it isn't one composer. It's 3 of them.
Four, actually. ACE+ is a 3 person team, and ACE contains two of them. Both are confirmed to be working on the soundtrack.

Although he's right, it's not a guarantee at all that we'll see either Shulk or a Xenoblade song. It IS, however, a guarantee that we'll see amazing music.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Four, actually. ACE+ is a 3 person team, and ACE contains two of them. Both are confirmed to be working on the soundtrack.

Although he's right, it's not a guarantee at all that we'll see either Shulk or a Xenoblade song. It IS, however, a guarantee that we'll see amazing music.
Shulk has always been a guarantee in my eyes anyway.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
It's just nice to see something closely related to Xenoblade finally being shown. Plus DAT list of composers this soundtrack is gonna be so boss.

D

Deleted member

Comments like these remind of the Chrom thread prior to July's reveal...
And they frighten me.
I'm really confident in Shulk's chances, but he is by no means a shoo-in. I still find that him being an Assist Trophy or being a mere trophy instead of a playable character to be realistic.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And they frighten me.
I'm really confident in Shulk's chances, but he is by no means a shoo-in. I still find that him being an Assist Trophy or being a mere trophy instead of a playable character to be realistic.
As long as you acknowledge that possibility, I think you'll be fine. It would make the pain of being wrong hurt less, and would make a reveal of Shulk that much more thrilling.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
And they frighten me.
Same here. I want the guy to be in the game, as a playable character so much more than an assist trophy. It is quite frightening, one of my wanted newcomers was confirmed AT status just yesterday.

Don't want to "sugarcoat" my hopes of the possibility of Shulk being a playable 100%, without considering the realistic chances of him just being an Assist, I'd just be screwing myself over at that point.

I just need Shulk confirmed playable, then my dream roster of playables will be complete~

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah really like Shulk or any Xenoblade character making it into the roster and my dreams are literally complete with the inclusion of Lady Palutena, Villager, and Robin.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

It's just that this compounded with the VA tweets, the fact that Monolith Soft out of all the parts of Nintendo still doesn't have a rep, and all the other stuff we've talked about regarding Shulk's chances makes him extremely likely. Before, the main argument against Shulk (besides he's too animu) is that we hadn't seen anything from Nintendo specifically that even hinted at him. And now we have that.

I won't say he's a guarantee, but if there was a newcomer from a new franchise I would bet money on, it would be Shulk.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Guys, we shouldn't lose our heads just yet. Like many pointed out, look at Chrom. I remember talking about how Chrom was not as likely as everyone thought (wasn't a member of this website by that time). I told them we could get Robin or Lucina, and they called me crazy. Shulk could still get Assist Trophy'd or trophy'd and the train will crash at maximum speed.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I dunno. I was pretty smug about Palutena being a lock, even having a countdown in my sig to E3 for her. So I'm feeling pretty good. :troll: Different results for different expectations I guess.

So in all honesty if its all the same to everyone here, I'm going to keep thinking Shulk is a lock. I do love being right, so lets see. :shades:

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
It wouldn't makes sense for the Voice actor of Shulk to tweet that he's doing voice work and not tell us what voice work he is doing but tell us the other voice work he is doing before that tweet, and if he don't doing voice work for Shulk wouldn't he come up and say it just like chrom voice actor did.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. I was pretty smug about Palutena being a lock, even having a countdown in my sig to E3 for her. So I'm feeling pretty good. :troll: Different results for different expectations I guess.

So in all honesty if its all the same to everyone here, I'm going to keep thinking Shulk is a lock. I do love being right, so lets see. :shades:
yeah for real Palutina was definitely coming. Chrom and Shulk were my other two two most likely characters

so I'm one for three right now but whatevs Robin was the better option anyways.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Remember the Monado that Sakurai posted on his twitter a while back? Yea Shulk has a chance :shades:
YES, now I can properly link it without having to take it back because I'm blind!

It wouldn't makes sense for the Voice actor of Shulk to tweet that he's doing voice work and not tell us what voice work he is doing but tell us the other voice work he is doing before that tweet, and if he don't doing voice work for Shulk wouldn't he come up and say it just like chrom voice actor did.
Maybe, you've got a point.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
YES, now I can properly link it without having to take it back because I'm blind!

Maybe, you've got a point.
:laugh:

I took Sakurai's tweet as him being aware of Xenoblade, rather than it being straight evidence for Smash, tbh.

And that's what we all should take from it.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

I took Sakurai's tweet as him being aware of Xenoblade, rather than it being straight evidence for Smash, tbh.

Exactly. But if he's aware of the game, it really helps Shulk ;)

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Guys, we shouldn't lose our heads just yet. Like many pointed out, look at Chrom. I remember talking about how Chrom was not as likely as everyone thought (wasn't a member of this website by that time). I told them we could get Robin or Lucina, and they called me crazy. Shulk could still get Assist Trophy'd or trophy'd and the train will crash at maximum speed.
it's true shulk is still not 100% yet but the facts do point to his chances being high so I am keeping my train going

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Well, he probably also likes it. But let's be honest, that's just as meaningless. I mean, who DOESN'T like it? my emulating software thats who

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
my feelings are still the same I've been saying since day one that shulk or ridley are gonna be the last ones announcement to hype the fans up near launch

Edit: also my logic is if Shulk did suffer the same fate as takaura or Ghirham we would of heard of it by now because as much of a fan of shulk as I am he is still consider not as huge as those two by most nintendo fans so if shuylk was a AT we would of known by now

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Well, he probably also likes it. But let's be honest, that's just as meaningless. I mean, who DOESN'T like it? my emulating software thats who
every person who is like 100% sure Shulks not in has never played Xenoblade and anyone I know who has is like he'd be so boss in it.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
every person who is like 100% sure Shulks not in has never played Xenoblade and anyone I know who has is like he'd be so boss in it.
I've played it only for a little bit (because like I said, emulating it is kind of a pain), so I'm probably wrong, but so far I don't actually really like Shulk in terms of character. He seems more like just a host for the Monado than anything else, and the way he keeps on talking about it just reinforces that. Once again, I haven't played a lot of it so I might be wrong.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I've played it only for a little bit (because like I said, emulating it is kind of a pain), so I'm probably wrong, but so far I don't actually really like Shulk in terms of character. He seems more like just a host for the Monado than anything else, and the way he keeps on talking about it just reinforces that. Once again, I haven't played a lot of it so I might be wrong.
He definitely gets more character development later on. He's a great character, although I like Melia and Alvis more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom