• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So guys, what do you think are the odds of Xenoblade getting multiple stages? I mean, odds are as far as playable characters are concerned we're only getting Shulk (as much as I want our Heropon or Seven to join along with him), but I definitely think it's possible for there to be more than one Xenoblade stage at least in the Wii U version. There's too many prime locations in this game to only have one stage based on it, even if one is a traveling stage with Junks.
In the case of having limited stages:

Junks moving to location after location

Would be the best option.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Xenoblade will likely get two stages if Shulk is in, one on 3DS and one on Wii U.

I semi-jokingly once said that the 3DS will get a Golden Sun stage and the Wii U and Xenoblade stage, and that those stages would act as a home stage for both Shulk and Isaac on each platform. I would actually be okay with that though.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, one on the 3DS and one on the Wii U is pretty much a guarantee.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Me too. Lucina's just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned! She's one of my favorite FE characters, so even if she's a clone, I'm glad she's in.

If we get Shulk too, I'll stand outside at midnight in the middle of December for this game. Don't even care.
You and me both. You and me both. Hell, if Sakurai told me I'd only get the game if I stood in the snow naked for it outside Gamestop, I'd do it for Shulk and Robin.

We're clearly letting poor Chrom fans in our board since they have nowhere else to go.
It's a shame, because they don't deserve what they've been getting. All the actual Chrom fans were some of the nicest people on the boards, and since I spent alot of time there, despite supporting Robin much more, I watched them get attacked by just about everyone, especially vehement Robin fans. I think the phrase "kicking them while they're down" is extremely important right now.

Door's open, Chrom fans! We don't bite!

So guys, what do you think are the odds of Xenoblade getting multiple stages? I mean, odds are as far as playable characters are concerned we're only getting Shulk (as much as I want our Heropon or Seven to join along with him), but I definitely think it's possible for there to be more than one Xenoblade stage at least in the Wii U version. There's too many prime locations in this game to only have one stage based on it, even if one is a traveling stage with Junks.
I'm only hoping for one (per game), I don't want to get greedy. I wouldn't be surprised to have one on the Wii U and one on the 3DS if Sakurai really wants to show off the locations, but I won't expect much.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
so what stage on the 3ds would look good for xenoblade I mean we all can agree the wii u one will look great no matter the stage but it'll be harder to bring the beauty to the 3ds one

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
so what stage on the 3ds would look good for xenoblade I mean we all can agree the wii u one will look great no matter the stage but it'll be harder to bring the beauty to the 3ds one
Perhaps the 3DS stage could take my Prison Island idea. That seems like it would work well enough on the smaller screen, compared to our idea for the Junks stage which would work better on the Wii U.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Sword valley could look really good on the 3DS, since it's such a simple area. (but still iconic)

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
You and me both. You and me both. Hell, if Sakurai told me I'd only get the game if I stood in the snow naked for it outside Gamestop, I'd do it for Shulk and Robin.

It's a shame, because they don't deserve what they've been getting. All the actual Chrom fans were some of the nicest people on the boards, and since I spent alot of time there, despite supporting Robin much more, I watched them get attacked by just about everyone, especially vehement Robin fans. I think the phrase "kicking them while they're down" is extremely important right now.

Door's open, Chrom fans! We don't bite!

I'm only hoping for one (per game), I don't want to get greedy. I wouldn't be surprised to have one on the Wii U and one on the 3DS if Sakurai really wants to show off the locations, but I won't expect much.
yeah I joke about chrom getting in but I do feel bad for the about of **** people give chrom now that he is now in I think people are hating on them more though because of lucina and robin being in and not chrom killed that one leak

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
yeah I joke about chrom getting in but I do feel bad for the about of **** people give chrom now that he is now in I think people are hating on them more though because of lucina and robin being in and not chrom killed that one leak
It's especially mean, just because all the Chrom fans did was like the character and became victims by proxy when Chrom just happened to be the character everyone expected but almost no one wanted.

It's not like the Chrom fans are hating on Robin for getting in, as I'm sure would not have been the case if the reverse actually happened. (Add the Lucina fans into that too.)

Oh well, let's just keep hoping for Shulk. At least we've nothing if not benefited from Gematsu's failure, because public opinion of Shulk has gone way up.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Satorl Marsh in 3D, pls. If Lumiose City at night can look as good as it does on the 3DS, I think they could pull off my personal favorite Xenoblade location as well.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Shulk was always my favorite unit in the series. Makes sense, Fire Emblem Xeno is my favorite entry.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Honestly, hoping for one stage for each version might be too much. Few newcomers from new franchises have stage representation on both platforms (so far), and the ones that do are sort of special cases. (Punch Out has the same stage on both versions, Animal Crossing had a stage in Brawl, Pac Man is... the legendary Pac-man.)

I'd love to have a stage on each version, but I think it's best to be prepared for the possibility that we might get the same stage on both versions... or worse. We likely still have a lot more stages to see, though. So this may be nothing to worry about.

I made a post quite some time ago about how a stage on Mechonis might be better for the 3ds version since, while Bionis has a lot of sweeping vistas that are great for HD, Mechonis is filled with a lot of machinery that could look really cool in 3d. If we do get unique stages on both versions, I think it would be sensible for each version of the game to represent one titan in that way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Satorl Marsh in 3D, pls. If Lumiose City at night can look as good as it does on the 3DS, I think they could pull off my personal favorite Xenoblade location as well.
I second Satorl as the 3DS stage. Day and night cycles, music transitions...background enemy changes. Mmm....

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I second Satorl as the 3DS stage. Day and night cycles, music transitions...background enemy changes. Mmm....
I would agree with this, but I REALLY want to see satorl in HD.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I would agree with this, but I REALLY want to see satorl in HD.
True... I dunno, I'm more on the side of Eryth Sea for really showing off something amazing, but Satorl is also a good point.

Damn this game and it's amazing environments...

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
True... I dunno, I'm more on the side of Eryth Sea for really showing off something amazing, but Satorl is also a good point.

Damn this game and it's amazing environments...
I know. Actually, I just want every location. Which is why everyone is saying a Junks stage would be the best choice I guess. Can't disagree with that.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I can get behind a Mechonis Field stage for 3DS and a traveling Junks stage that starts at the Fallen Arm and travels all over the Bionis for the Wii U version.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Speaking of locations, I can't wait to see what the artists have cooked up for Xenoblade X. Imagine the possibilites!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Speaking of locations, I can't wait to see what the artists have cooked up for Xenoblade X. Imagine the possibilites!
That is something that, to be honest, I'm both looking forward to and dreading at the same time. While Xenoblade left me absolutely certain that they can create spectacular environments, especially with the Wii U's massive jump over the Wii, there's also some doubt in my mind that they might not be able to top the locations in Xenoblade. Xenoblade's setting on the two titans just gave such an awesome aesthetic, I'm not sure if just "an alien planet" can capture the same sense of fantasy and adventure. I'm still very much confident that they can top themselves this time around, but god is that a high bar to top.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
That is something that, to be honest, I'm both looking forward to and dreading at the same time. While Xenoblade left me absolutely certain that they can create spectacular environments, especially with the Wii U's massive jump over the Wii, there's also some doubt in my mind that they might not be able to top the locations in Xenoblade. Xenoblade's setting on the two titans just gave such an awesome aesthetic, I'm not sure if just "an alien planet" can capture the same sense of fantasy and adventure. I'm still very much confident that they can top themselves this time around, but god is that a high bar to top.
I understand where you are coming from. I just think of it like this: if they were able to do such AMAZING things with the Wii, what are they capable of now? It's mind-boggling.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
yeah it does feel odd in xenoblade you was fighting machines but now you can use mechs IMO just feels odd but I still have high hopes for it

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I understand where you are coming from. I just think of it like this: if they were able to do such AMAZING things with the Wii, what are they capable of now? It's mind-boggling.
My main point wasn't so much about the hardware as it was about the setting. The titans just gave Xenoblade this feeling of magnificence, grandeur, and a sense of human insignificance that even Lovecraft would be proud of. For a good example...
On the fallen arm, climb up to the top of digit two, and from the platform look up towards the two titans. Or maybe just play through the intro of the game again (or watch it on youtube) and really take in the sweeping shot of Bionis and Mechonis right before it shows the title. Ignoring all the different plot twists in the story, the very first impression this world gives you is one of sheer scale and majesty, and the shear fact that the world these characters are confined to are the supposed corpses of two great Titans. To them, the inhabitants of this world would be insignificant. They would have no reason to care about the petty conflict between the Homs and the Mechon (like I said, ignoring plot twists and just going off of first impressions). They could awaken at any point and resume their battle, and any life on the two of them would be wiped out without them even noticing. The sense of how insignificant the games conflict comes across to these two titans (at first) adds to the shear grandeur and beauty of the games world. Lovecraft himself could not have came up with a better setting had he tried. (Not saying the story of the game comes across as a Lovecraftian tale, but the setting itself would most certainly be right at home in one).
That feeling is going to be harder to capture this time around in my opinion, if simply due to the setting itself not coming across as quite as unique, at least not off the bat.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Besides Junks moving from location to location, here's the locations that would make for a good stage: Guar Plains, Satorl Marsh, Prison Island, Sword Valley and Mechonis Field. Also, idea time: what if the Xenoblade stage had a day/night cycle like in the actual game. I would imagine it working much like battlefield but the areas obviously looking much more diverse depending on the time cycle.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
My main point wasn't so much about the hardware as it was about the setting. The titans just gave Xenoblade this feeling of magnificence, grandeur, and a sense of human insignificance that even Lovecraft would be proud of. For a good example...
On the fallen arm, climb up to the top of digit two, and from the platform look up towards the two titans. Or maybe just play through the intro of the game again (or watch it on youtube) and really take in the sweeping shot of Bionis and Mechonis right before it shows the title. Ignoring all the different plot twists in the story, the very first impression this world gives you is one of sheer scale and majesty, and the shear fact that the world these characters are confined to are the supposed corpses of two great Titans. To them, the inhabitants of this world would be insignificant. They would have no reason to care about the petty conflict between the Homs and the Mechon (like I said, ignoring plot twists and just going off of first impressions). They could awaken at any point and resume their battle, and any life on the two of them would be wiped out without them even noticing. The sense of how insignificant the games conflict comes across to these two titans (at first) adds to the shear grandeur and beauty of the games world. Lovecraft himself could not have came up with a better setting had he tried. (Not saying the story of the game comes across as a Lovecraftian tale, but the setting itself would most certainly be right at home in one).
That feeling is going to be harder to capture this time around in my opinion, if simply due to the setting itself not coming across as quite as unique, at least not off the bat.
Yeah, I know. I definitely agree, the setting in Xenoblade is amazing. But I was just thinking, considering that they have better hardware to work with now, and since they basically can do whatever they want with the planet (Since it is alien after all), they will most definitely deliver in the locations department. But nothing will probably ever top the Bionis and Mechonis, because that idea is just genius.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, that's the same feeling I've been having about it. However, they've shown off some really beautiful areas for the game so far, and on top of that, the flying around in the mech through the world might very well give that same sort of sense of grandeur that Xenoblade game off. I trust Monolith Soft, I can't wait to see what they've done.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I've pretty much accepted X won't top Xenoblade for me. It could be a better game than Xenoblade, but Xenoblade was literally everything I've wanted in a game and more. And it's done so much for me emotionally, like making me a more positive person helping with my depression issues. It made me respect people more because I just became so attached to the characters and wanted friendship like that.
I'm positive X is going to be amazing though. Nearly everything Monolith touches becomes gold.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I am so hyped for things other than the locations though, like how huge the monsters can be this time around, or how you can target different body parts of enemies.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'd prefer it if he was announced before launch because he deserves a newcomer intro video.
Well I think all newcomers will get intro videos, like you get the "Challenger Approaching" thing plays, then you get the trailer, then after any cinematic it goes to the fight, but that's just a theory a game theory, thanks for watching.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
X does, indeed, look incredible. But. I'm currently under the impression that I won't even be able to compare it to Xenoblade's aesthetics. The towering behemoths of Bionis and Mechonis... Andyjoe522 mentioned the notion of human insignificance. Thank you, sir, for mentioning something I've found myself unable to articulate. The struggle of the Homs against something so supernatural and insurmountable. Looking back, that to me is something this game has over any other. Just. Xenoblade has a sense of mysticism and fantasy... Truly, a fairy tale brought to life. X, however, goes in a completely different direction, with its sci-fi-inspired atmosphere. They both work, beautifully, in their own ways but. It's like apples and oranges. Why compare two things so clearly different when you can just enjoy them both, for their own merits?

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
While I agree that the 'on top of two gods' setting was an awesome aesthetic, the world design in Xenoblade X looks absolutely incredible. One thing Xenoblade X has over Xenoblade already is that it will be truly open world and seamless between each area (no loading times). Also, the alien landforms I've seen in every area so far look amazing; you have giant pillars, expansive, land-covering domes, huge metallic rings cemented into rocks, a gigantic, towering cliff(s) overlooking NLA. And don't forget that, like Xenoblade, X is really utilising that vertical world design (something I rarely see in any other open world RPGs).

Exploring Planet Mira is going to be a complete wanderlust.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
X does, indeed, look incredible. But. I'm currently under the impression that I won't even be able to compare it to Xenoblade's aesthetics. The towering behemoths of Bionis and Mechonis... Andyjoe522 mentioned the notion of human insignificance. Thank you, sir, for mentioning something I've found myself unable to articulate. The struggle of the Homs against something so supernatural and insurmountable. Looking back, that to me is something this game has over any other. Just. Xenoblade has a sense of mysticism and fantasy... Truly, a fairy tale brought to life. X, however, goes in a completely different direction, with its sci-fi-inspired atmosphere. They both work, beautifully, in their own ways but. It's like apples and oranges. Why compare two things so clearly different when you can just enjoy them both, for their own merits?
Yeah, I agree. I also think their strengths lie in different parts. I think X's gameplay will be more polished than Xenoblades, and better overall. (Not saying that Xenoblades gameplay is bad, f**k no.) But Xenoblades story can't be topped. It's just too good. And I don't see visions coming back sadly, so that is another thing Xenoblade has.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Episode 30 of the Chuggaaconroy Xenoblade Chronicles LP is online!
I usually go watch these videos right away, but I think I'll hold off until he's done. Or at least, when there's a whole lot of videos to watch. I can't stand it when there are cliffhangers and there are no more videos to watch. It just hurts, man.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I am so hyped for things other than the locations though, like how huge the monsters can be this time around, or how you can target different body parts of enemies.
Agreed. From a mechanics and design standpoint, XCX is almost certainly going to be a superior game in almost every way. But still, nothing could top Xenoblade as far as setting is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom