• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
What kind of thread have I just walked into......
Welcome to Shulktania, where the swords are Banados and the clock is always set to Reyn Time. Here's your creepy photoshop, enjoy your stay.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Yeah, some of the area looked like Colony 9, but it definitely was something new. I'm hoping the planet they travel to happens to be the one Shulk and friends are living on. However that raises the question of is this in the future and if so how far. I wasn't a fan of how Golden Sun jumped in time and Isaac and co were old, so I'm hoping it won't be something similar here. An ending with ambiguity is typically nice since it leaves a lot open to the individual.

I'm psyched to ride in the mechs. Wasn't there something about creature damage in the new game confirmed? Overall it looks very promising. I didn't really watch the E3 demo since I like to go into things as blind as possible, but the trailers thus far got me excited. Keeping the same gameplay is fine by me since it worked so well. I'm guessing the vision mechanic is gone unless Shulk comes back. Shulk is a God but I don't know if his wish for a world without Gods canceled that out, like you said.

Interesting theory. I like it. Reflecting on the past to ensure a better future.

I wonder if anyone was bothered by Fiora turning back into a homs....
It's pretty definitively in the future and, thinking it through, I'd say the main human race are Homs. The mechs they ride in just straight up reek of Faced Mechon. It's also been called a "spiritual" successor, but with Tatsu, a Nopon, confirmed, it's safe to say it's the same world. I'm not 100% on creature damage either, since I tried to not watch gameplay too. Monado could possibly return as an ultimate weapon, but I doubt it with the Bionis and Mechonis gone (unless all people actually have the ability inside them to summon "their" Monado, which would be sick awesome.

I'm more worried about who all donated body parts and organs to build her a new body. Did Shulk do a Frakenstein?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
@ TitanTeaTime TitanTeaTime You managed to make people hate him even more.

Now this is how you make people like him more:

This is getting into heavy spoiler territory though... but I guess you guys realized that already

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
...What if Dorf gets his two swords? Then we have another sword fighter.

I like swords and all, but we need some halberds, axes, and maces up in this smash.
Parasol and spear too. (Bandana dee is my spear man.)
...Lemme make sure my math is right.

Link, Tink, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Meta Knight, Pit and Shulk. 9 right? That sounds fine by me.
And Swordsman Mii are count that they use sword too. that would be a 10.

Im really piss about Lucina though....

Shulk you still need to be in. Is like that one guy say, Shulk is like getting our Xenogear series, Tales series or a even square enix characters wet dream and is actuallly OWN by Nintendo when Monolift Soft was own by Nintendo.

Shulk HYPE WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

This is getting into heavy spoiler territory though... but I guess you guys realized that already

Enjoy the combination of these two things. A gif (above, spoiler warning) and its soundtrack.

Can this be Zanza's new theme?

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I'm more worried about who all donated body parts and organs to build her a new body. Did Shulk do a Frakenstein?
Some sort of story was released after the game about how Fiora got her body back. You can find it somewhere on the internet. Basically she was in the sealed chamber at the back of the Cylinder Hangar for a few months, it's a regenerative chamber of sorts. The Bionis shoulder area that got cut out of the game would have been about how they were trying to get Fiora's body back, and would have mentioned that, I believe.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
@ Bosspon Bosspon Ha,that is too good.

It's pretty definitively in the future and, thinking it through, I'd say the main human race are Homs. The mechs they ride in just straight up reek of Faced Mechon. It's also been called a "spiritual" successor, but with Tatsu, a Nopon, confirmed, it's safe to say it's the same world. I'm not 100% on creature damage either, since I tried to not watch gameplay too. Monado could possibly return as an ultimate weapon, but I doubt it with the Bionis and Mechonis gone (unless all people actually have the ability inside them to summon "their" Monado, which would be sick awesome.

Oh, yeah I completely forgot about the Nopon at the end of that trailer. I feel like if everyone could summon a Monado it would turn into Star Wars or something, which wouldn't be a bad thing... actually not a good idea. A plot twist with an evil Monado or something along those lines could be cool, or a variation. Alvis returning in itself would be nice. He was mysterious in a good way. By the time you beat Dson and get to Zanza you forget about Alvis, well at least I did, and then he just shows up at the end in an unexpected way.

Funny how the Mechonis and Bionis were pretty much created due to an obnoxious scientist. Monolith really got creative with this one.

With how unique the world of Xenoblade was, its strange seeing a traditional landscape, but I'm sure Monolith will keep it varied and full of surprises. Simply taking a look at the vast areas found in Xenoblade is enough evidence.

Ha, even though it was obvious she would be normal in the ending due to the camera angle, I really enjoyed how it was done. It was just depressing that Melia was all alone. Plus that depressing feeling from finishing an amazing game.

Edit: @ SkittleE SkittleE Very interesting. Was that originally supposed to be in the game or was it simply stated by the developers?

Edit again whoops forgot the spoiler box...: Found this answering my question though

There was a Japan-only book released called Xenoblade: The Secret File -- Monado Archives. It's sort of like Xenogears Perfect Works, if you are familiar with that. It's a book with lots of artwork and extra information about the world, its characters, and its lore. There's a story in there--which I think was meant to be the game but was cut for some reason--that tells how Fiora got here body back. The gist of it is that, sometime between Mechonis Core and the final battle, the party learns about an ancient High Entia regeneration chamber located in the sealed door at the back of the Cylinder Hanger in Colony 9 (i.e., inside the ancient High Entia transport ship). Shulk has a vision that shows Melia, as the rightful ruler of the High Entia, commanding the sealed door to open, and the party goes back to the Cylinder Hanger to discover the regeneration chamber. Fiora learns that she will need to go to sleep for 6 months to restore her Homs body, but she chooses to stay in her Mechon body until the battle with Zanza is over so she can still be of use to the party and stay by Shulk's side. After Zanza is defeated, Fiora goes into the chamber to sleep for 6 months. Apparently that chamber was still there somewhere in the new world Shulk created. The ending you see from Fiora's POV takes place at least 6 months after the defeat of Zanza and the recreation of the universe.
Search for that Japan-only book if you want more info. I'm pretty sure there's an English translation of the story floating around somewhere.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
@ Bosspon Bosspon Ha,that is too good.

Oh, yeah I completely forgot about the Nopon at the end of that trailer. I feel like if everyone could summon a Monado it would turn into Star Wars or something, which wouldn't be a bad thing... actually not a good idea. A plot twist with an evil Monado or something along those lines could be cool, or a variation. Alvis returning in itself would be nice. He was mysterious in a good way. By the time you beat Dson and get to Zanza you forget about Alvis, well at least I did, and then he just shows up at the end in an unexpected way.

Funny how the Mechonis and Bionis were pretty much created due to an obnoxious scientist. Monolith really got creative with this one.

With how unique the world of Xenoblade was, its strange seeing a traditional landscape, but I'm sure Monolith will keep it varied and full of surprises. Simply taking a look at the vast areas found in Xenoblade is enough evidence.

Ha, even though it was obvious she would be normal in the ending due to the camera angle, I really enjoyed how it was done. It was just depressing that Melia was all alone. Plus that depressing feeling from finishing an amazing game.

Edit: @ SkittleE SkittleE Very interesting. Was that originally supposed to be in the game or was it simply stated by the developers?
I mean, it would definitely be hard to summon your Monado, like it was hard for Shulk, but they could make for some cool in-game mechanics. Alvis is highly likely to return, considering he technically is the AI that runs the universe/wish-granting Holy Grail.

I never saw it coming and I loved it.

I've seen some of the landscape by far and trust me, there's some really awesome stuff/ They have my trust.

Yeah, then the slow picking out of item for New Game Plus and the happiness of knowing that none of the high level creatures that once destroyed you now have met their match :)

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

I saw your gif and decided to butcher it (terribly, might I add):
Zanzajujugif V2.gif

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
To be honest, I feel that there are some factors from the end of Xenoblade Chronicles that go a long way in proving that X will be a spiritual sequel when you place them up against the information from E3 this year. *Note, it's been a while since I last beat Xenoblade Chronicles, so this is going by what I remember along with some information from Xenoblade Wiki to fill in the gaps.

After defeating Zanza, when Alvis shows you his origins, they seem to be orbiting planet Earth. That would imply that it was Earth as we know it that was destroyed in order to make way for the universe in which Xenoblade Chronicles takes place. This conflicts with the plot of Xenoblade Chronicles X, which begins with Earth blowing up due to being caught in the crossfire of two warring alien species. These two games would be hard to fit together into the same story line, as both pretty much are triggered by Earth being destroyed in two completely different ways. As for the Nopon, it would be reasonable to believe that they simply serve the purpose of a legacy/mascot character for Xenoblade as a series, similarly to the moogles in Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
You know what? I love this thread.
Not just for the likes. Well, a lot for the likes. I'm pretty much just slapping Hades and Reyn on other characters and I have like 200 more likes because of it.
But you guys are simply awesome.
Yeah, I agree. but only about the likes part :troll:
Nah but seriously, this is such a friendly place.
Shulk thread is very random and chaotic over xenoblade stuff, This a good thing showing our random side of xenblade how much we love this game and the character that were supporting him, I been supporting him before gematsu and now that leak is gone. I never gonna give up. Shulk should live!!!

KEEP up people, Show the world of Shulk, We need to reach 200 pages. I know you can everyone!!!

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
How could you forget about ALVIS? I was having a complete breakdown after D!ckson and while fighting the spirit bosses because I was terrified I was going to have to fight Alvis soon. Even while he seemed incredibly suspicious throughout the game I never questioned him once until the Mechonis Core because he's my favorite character in the game. (On a side note...WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS ALWAYS BETRAY ME?! ALWAYS!) I'm pretty sure I almost went into a state of shock after completing the core for two reasons: 1, I thought Shulk was actually dead, and had in fact never existed (his personality, anyway), and that it was all an act by Zanza. 2, Alvis betrayed me even after I ignored my better judgement in favor of trusting him completely. Good thing it all worked out in the end, otherwise I'm pretty sure my heart would have been crushed into a billion and two pieces.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
How could you forget about ALVIS? I was having a complete breakdown after D!ckson and while fighting the spirit bosses because I was terrified I was going to have to fight Alvis soon. Even while he seemed incredibly suspicious throughout the game I never questioned him once until the Mechonis Core because he's my favorite character in the game. (On a side note...WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS ALWAYS BETRAY ME?! ALWAYS!) I'm pretty sure I almost went into a state of shock after completing the core for two reasons: 1, I thought Shulk was actually dead, and had in fact never existed (his personality, anyway), and that it was all an act by Zanza. 2, Alvis betrayed me even after I ignored my better judgement in favor of trusting him completely. Good thing it all worked out in the end, otherwise I'm pretty sure my heart would have been crushed into a billion and two pieces.
I was actually pretty certain that Alvis was on Shulk's side all along. He was seemingly grooming him to take power. He seemed most likely to betray Zanza. Gotta have faith in the Alvis. And I was spoiled on Shulk be alive after he died in-game, so that took away the tension. I was waiting throughout the rest of the game for Alvis to fight Shulk or give him a final test, but the spirit bosses seemed to substitute for that part.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh man! An all-spoiler discussion! We haven't had one of those in a while! (That wasn't full of amazing gifs.)

But seriously, you guys are the most considerate mother****ers of all time! Mad respect for how great this story is and how spoiling it might ruin it! (I've finished the game, so it doesn't apply to me, but yeah. It's nice to see. <3)

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I was actually pretty certain that Alvis was on Shulk's side all along. He was seemingly grooming him to take power. He seemed most likely to betray Zanza. Gotta have faith in the Alvis. And I was spoiled on Shulk be alive after he died in-game, so that took away the tension. I was waiting throughout the rest of the game for Alvis to fight Shulk or give him a final test, but the spirit bosses seemed to substitute for that part.
Heh, yeah, I spoiled pretty much everything in the game except for the fact that Shulk comes back to life and that Alvis betrays you. I mean, I knew D!ckson shot you in the back and was actually working for Zanza, but I didn't know any specifics. And boy am I glad that I didn't, because that scene was absolutely amazing for the feels it induced. I wasn't sure at all about Alvis, really. I was hoping desperately he was secretly on my side, but I didn't know if it was just my blind fangirling making me think that or what.

Anyway, speaking of Alvis, I'm going to be a salty, salty Skittle if he isn't in Xenoblade X. They'd be missing the perfect opportunity if they didn't have him in it. I know they say it's just a spiritual sequel, but considering Tatsu and everything...eh, I'm not sure I believe it. They might just be saying that to deceive us. I really shouldn't get my hopes up, though.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Heh, yeah, I spoiled pretty much everything in the game except for the fact that Shulk comes back to life and that Alvis betrays you. I mean, I knew D!ckson shot you in the back and was actually working for Zanza, but I didn't know any specifics. And boy am I glad that I didn't, because that scene was absolutely amazing for the feels it induced. I wasn't sure at all about Alvis, really. I was hoping desperately he was secretly on my side, but I didn't know if it was just my blind fangirling making me think that or what.

Anyway, speaking of Alvis, I'm going to be a salty, salty Skittle if he isn't in Xenoblade X. They'd be missing the perfect opportunity if they didn't have him in it. I know they say it's just a spiritual sequel, but considering Tatsu and everything...eh, I'm not sure I believe it. They might just be saying that to deceive us. I really shouldn't get my hopes up, though.
I like how you sensor the name D!ckson
Censor* I'm tired.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

The whole Zanza reveal thing I was not spoiled on. That freaked me out. Like I knew Zanza would be the final boss, but I didn't know Shulk would live or even "die" before I saw that cutscene. And I'm glad I didn't. I was spoiled on a surprisingly small amount of the game and I loved.

I'm calling him right now as Deus Ex Machina (literally), secret boss, cameo, or actual character. They called it spiritual sequel before they decided to call it Xenoblade Chronicles, I believe, so make of that what you will.

Hey, look! Words that aren't spoilers! I bet you people who haven't beaten Xenoblade are thrilled by such a thing, amirite?! :troll:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Ha, okay, you win, that's amazing. I don't know how you do that, though. Unless you just have the image saved somewhere.
I got this from @Solfiner earlier on in the thread and have been saving it for whenever I need to refer to

Edit: If you ever need him, just open image in new tab and use the url above.
will appear whenever you need him.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

As I already said in my last post, the story details revealed at E3 during the Treehouse stream are really conflicting with the idea of X being related to Xenoblade as far as plot is concerned. I honestly am leaning toward spiritual sequel for the time. As far as Tatsu is concerned, I'll have to once again draw from Final Fantasy for an example. How many Cids have there been throughout that series? How man Mog the Moogles? If there's any significance to his name as all, it's probably just as a reference to the previous game, rather than a solid connection between the two.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
As I already said in my last post, the story details revealed at E3 during the Treehouse stream are really conflicting with the idea of X being related to Xenoblade as far as plot is concerned. I honestly am leaning toward spiritual sequel for the time. As far as Tatsu is concerned, I'll have to once again draw from Final Fantasy for an example. How many Cids have there been throughout that series? How man Mog the Moogles? If there's any significance to his name as all, it's probably just as a reference to the previous game, rather than a solid connection between the two.
Earth is destroyed in X, right? Whose to say that that Earth is the one Shulk created at the end of Xenoblade? The naming would be fairly simple.

Shulk: Alvis, what should we name this new world?
Alvis: Earth was the name of the planet before.
Shulk: That works.

Literally all that needs to happen for it to have connections to Xenoblade. Alternatively, the whole "Earth being destroyed" thing could refer to Klaus "destroying" the Earth. Maybe mankind was already in space and somehow escaped Klaus' experiment and returned to find that Earth was no longer where it was supposed to be.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I saw your gif and decided to butcher it (terribly, might I add):
OH MY GOD IT'S JUJU AND ZANZA'S LOVECHILD WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

Juju x Zanza OTP. <3
I feel like I'm the only one who'd actually prefer XCX as a spiritual sequel rather than a direct one. Shulk and his friends ended their story on a great note, and while I'd love to see them again, it would require there to be some sort of canon as to how it all worked out. I kinda just prefer the ambiguity of it. It lets the player decide what happened to the characters.

Mostly I'm just afraid that if Monolith Soft continues Melia's story they'll somehow make her life more tragic. They really hate her, don't they.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
OH MY GOD IT'S JUJU AND ZANZA'S LOVECHILD WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

Juju x Zanza OTP. <3
I feel like I'm the only one who'd actually prefer XCX as a spiritual sequel rather than a direct one. Shulk and his friends ended their story on a great note, and while I'd love to see them again, it would require there to be some sort of canon as to how it all worked out. I kinda just prefer the ambiguity of it. It lets the player decide what happened to the characters.

Mostly I'm just afraid that if Monolith Soft continues Melia's story they'll somehow make her life more tragic. They really hate her, don't they.
I'm fine with it being a spiritual successor instead of a direct sequel. Shulk's story is over. I get it.

But man, I really want to see some Monados again. The Monado brought in some really cool gameplay concepts and I wish it would become a staple of the series.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Earth is destroyed in X, right? Whose to say that that Earth is the one Shulk created at the end of Xenoblade? The naming would be fairly simple.

Shulk: Alvis, what should we name this new world?
Alvis: Earth was the name of the planet before.
Shulk: That works.

Literally all that needs to happen for it to have connections to Xenoblade. Alternatively, the whole "Earth being destroyed" thing could refer to Klaus "destroying" the Earth. Maybe mankind was already in space and somehow escaped Klaus' experiment and returned to find that Earth was no longer where it was supposed to be.
They literally showed the opening cutscene for XCX on the Treehouse stream. It consists of two alien species showing up in the space over Earth, and starting an all out war with each other. Humanity, knowing the Earth is doomed, attempts to evacuate on a number of arc ships. As all the ships manage to make it out of Earths atmosphere, the planet blows up right on screen. The story then follows a ship that literally has "United States" plastered on the side of it, as some of the aliens pursue it and cause it to crash down on another planet. Klaus was nowhere involved in that cutscene. I suppose this Earth could be the world that resulted from Shulk resetting the universe, however there's nothing so far that would support such a theory other than a girl with some monado themed hair clips, which could easily be written off as just a reference.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
They literally showed the opening cutscene for XCX on the Treehouse stream. It consists of two alien species showing up in the space over Earth, and starting an all out war with each other. Humanity, knowing the Earth is doomed, attempts to evacuate on a number of arc ships. As all the ships manage to make it out of Earths atmosphere, the planet blows up right on screen. The story then follows a ship that literally has "United States" plastered on the side of it, as some of the aliens pursue it and cause it to crash down on another planet. Klaus was nowhere involved in that cutscene. I suppose this Earth could be the world that resulted from Shulk resetting the universe, however there's nothing so far that would support such a theory other than a girl with some monado themed hair clips, which could easily be written off as just a reference.
Whatever they do, I'll be fine with it. :)

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
The story then follows a ship that literally has "United States" plastered on the side of it, as some of the aliens pursue it and cause it to crash down on another planet.
OH MY GODS.

...No more British accents in XCX.

:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom