• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So...any ideas as to what Shulk's reveal trailer might be like?
My bet is it'll have something to do with visions. Though I'm struggling to think of something that will have 3 minutes without another reveal, so I'm thinking It'll have a veteran or 2 revealed as well.
Or a Shulk + Ridley reveal trailer but that'd be too good to be true

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I thought Groose started the #MonadoMonday hashtag...

Or someone. I can't even remember now.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Hopefully, #MonadoMonday can put an end to all the nonsense about Shulk being "just another bland sword-wielder who offers nothing". In terms of making Shulk's move-set and play-style interesting, I have confidence in the development team.
Do not prove me wrong, Sakurai.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I mean, opinions are fine and all, but popularity and uniqueness can often speak for themselves.

My opinion is that your statement is opinionated. So there.
Okay then.
It's not really a special announcement or a special situation. When you think about it, all newcomers were revealed live online except for WFT and Pac-Man who got the developer conference treatment. All of them came in Nintendo Directs announced days in advance with him commenting on them in miiverse ahead of time.

The difference is that this time Sakurai isn't waiting for a Nintendo Direct to do it, so he has to do it live on the site.
I see what you mean, but if it wasn't so special, a countdown for the video wouldn't be necessary, and it also wouldn't have to be a live stream. But I'm not arguing anymore. I'll leave you all alone.

I'm happy for you guys though! Guess Shulk will be moving into that sub-forum soon.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So! New people! (And those that don't know) the Monado works with something called an Art Gauge that builds up when Shulk attacks.

Once it's built up, you can activate the Monado and use it's various powers.

Fresh opinions on Shulk having an art gauge, and having his specials change for a short time when it's built up? (He has a number of non-Monado-based sword strikes that he uses in addition to the powers.)
I've recently put some serious thought into the idea. I think it would be a great way of making Shulk both unique and an accurate representation of his game. I imagine the way it would work is that using standard attacks would gradually fill up the gauge, while the use of special moves would not. Can't just go around using Arts all the time. When the gauge is full, I imagine his specials would change into various Monado Arts, and he can use any of them once before the Talent Gauge is depleted. Of course, some specials take away more or less from the Talent Gauge depending on how powerful the ability is. For example, if Shulk's Down-special became Monado Shield, he could use that to gain a defensive buff briefly in exchange for half of the gauge, or he could use the full gauge to unleash a Monado Buster. This would introduce a sort of economic system with Shulk, as knowing how to spend and maintain your talent gauge would be vital for victory.

Of course, I think the main problem with this idea is that Little Mac already incorporates a similar idea with his power meter. However, I think the two are different enough in function to coexist.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The same development team made Wii Fit Trainer and "an obvious Peach clone" into very unique characters. I have faith in their ability to use the Monado/Shulk to their potential.

@ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle I think they want to treat all newcomer announcements as special occasions, unless there's a big event to pad a more controversial or hypey character. (WFT vs Pac)

I know you didn't want to argue, I just wanted to say that. All newcomers are "special" =D

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
*Raises hand to be added to the Shulk supporters list*

Technically I was supporting this character since 2011 since I'm from the UK and we got it almost a year before you lovelies in North America.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Do you guys think the stream will only have the trailer, or maybe Sakurai talking about his moveset too, like how he talked about the newcomers in the Smash direct.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The same development team made Wii Fit Trainer and "an obvious Peach clone" into very unique characters. I have faith in their ability to use the Monado/Shulk to their potential.
Yeah, and considering the scale of some attacks lately (Palutenas up-smash for example) I am not worried one bit about Shulks moveset being bad.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
*Raises hand to be added to the Shulk supporters list*

Technically I was supporting this character since 2011 since I'm from the UK and we got it almost a year before you lovelies in North America.
And what a year that was. Teasing my American friends about not having it was such a joy.
Then they did have it, and the only thing we had before them since was M&L: Dream Team and PL vs AA. Those are both great games too... though those also have since been released across the atlantic ocean.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully, #MonadoMonday can put an end to all the nonsense about Shulk being "just another bland sword-wielder who offers nothing". In terms of making Shulk's move-set and play-style interesting, I have confidence in the development team.
Do not prove me wrong, Sakurai.
I can still see people spouting that, simply out of spite because "Shulk stole -character-'s slot".

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Actually, #MonadoMonday was already said on GameFAQs too. I think many people had that idea.
Now I am really curious actually. I said Groose because he introduced it to this thread atleast.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I have the most awesome reveal trailer for shulk.

Shulks just chillin, he be so O.G atm. Then, he starts trippin balls and gets some visions of Kirby getting raised above the ground, Samus being chucked from the sky, and a pair of glowing eyes inside a fire atop Prison Island. Shulk be like "ah hell naw" and starts jumping there. Cut to prison island, all dark and ****. Mario Pit Samus and Kirby fighting up top. Samus going all swiggity swoogaty towards Kirby, but then he is grabbed in the dark. Something then grabs her, and she is cucked to the ground. A massive fireball hits the stage. Damn, its Ridley, and hes rustling jimmies. Cue gameplay and ****. Ridley then gonna go all ham on the Mario, but then our boy Shulk decides to save the day. Gameplay and ****. Trailer ends with a Metal Face boos teased.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't know, there is the possibility that Sakurai will throw a curveball and reveal someone who isn't Shulk. Yes, all signs are pointing towards him, but there have been times before where a character looked certain, only for Sakurai to blindside us, and he's shown how he hates to be predicted.

The overwhelming evidence is there it's true, but you can never be 100% sure with the man behind Smash.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Like I've said, Pac-Mii is already out of the way. And I was pleasantly surprised by Pac-Man's design. No newcomer can disappoint me now, even if Sakurai throws us a curveball.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't know, there is the possibility that Sakurai will throw a curveball and reveal someone who isn't Shulk. Yes, all signs are pointing towards him, but there have been times before where a character looked certain, only for Sakurai to blindside us, and he's shown how he hates to be predicted.

The overwhelming evidence is there it's true, but you can never be 100% sure with the man behind Smash.
Like when he didn't reveal a thing for smash's 15 year anniversary, but announced Lucario for Brawls 6 year anniversary.

Last edited:

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323
as I said before the timing I think is what gives shulk the biggest chance out of anyone to be announced is the timing of this

Xenoblade X as confirmed at E3 great way to introduce the franchise to non xenoblade fans then smash

Shulk is in the leak that has gone 8/11 so far on characters

Sal the creator of this leak said there was gonnabe a character announced next week

the voice actor of shulk said he finished some voice acting but could not say who

and the people who made xenoblade pretty much started the #monadomonday hashtag

to me it just with all of these together seems like the perfect time to announce him
I keep telling myself that my body is ready....but I don't think i'll be able to contain myself when he's revealed.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

This is a possibility, but let's just get hyped for Shulk for the heck of it!:pimp:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I can still see people spouting that, simply out of spite because "Shulk stole -character-'s slot".
Just wielding a sword is enough to be deemed unoriginal by some, it seems. No matter, Shulk's well-deserved inclusion will be upon us soon enough, whether it is a few days from now or a few days before launch.

If #MonadoMonday fails to live up to its expectations, it will be on par with last October's "Mewtwo is going to be revealed!" debacle for disastrous hype train-wrecks.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
This is a possibility, but let's just get hyped for Shulk for the heck of it!:pimp:
You know, there is so much boring s**t in my life right now that it's better to get hyped up even if it will lead to a minor dissapointment. All aboard the hype train!

Lamasis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4854-7617-1736
Just wielding a sword is enough to be deemed unoriginal by some, it seems. No matter, Shulk's well-deserved inclusion will be upon us soon enough, whether it is a few days from now or a few days before launch.

If #MonadoMonday fails to live up to its expectations, it will be on par with last October's "Mewtwo is going to be revealed!" debacle for disastrous hype train-wrecks.

Even if he was "just another bland sword-wielder who offers nothing", it wold stil be better than another blue-haired sword wielder from FE

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Like I've said, Pac-Mii is already out of the way. And I was pleasantly surprised by Pac-Man's design. No newcomer can disappoint me now, even if Sakurai throws us a curveball.
That was so good. I was reading Nintendoworldreport's updates with the roundtable and when Pac-Man came up I feared he'd use the Ghostly Adventures design. That fear was vanquished.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
That was so good. I was reading Nintendoworldreport's updates with the roundtable and when Pac-Man came up I feared he'd use the Ghostly Adventures design. That fear was vanquished.
That design was pretty much the only reason I was so against Pac-Mans inclusion, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom