• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hearts Mafia - Game over! Who won?

John2k4

The End of an Era
Yes, my vote on Ruy was just RVS. I thought that would be obvious by the "Ruy Ruy Ruy..." thing.

@JTB - of course I plan on scumhunting. Why ask that question?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
John, give me an opinion on Raziek and Sokr.

July

Smash Apprentice
Bolded, I didn't see you explain why you think Scum benefit from this post limit thingy.

Underlined, I agree to giving players more of a chance to talk. Course, if it's nearing deadline and no one is talking much, I'll talk only if I feel I have something important to say. July, do you think it would be a scum tell for someone to be more active than me? (While I'm active) Why or why not? (Yes this is an important question! I promise no more questions :awesome:)
What I meant by that post is that if too many people dominate the thread and use up most of the posts before we reach the postcount cap, then scum can lurk and blame their lack of activity on active, talkative players using up all the posts. And, that's something that would be difficult to distinguish between lurking scum that chose to let others dominate the thread or low activity town that got cut out of discussion before they could post content. And scum could probably use the postcount cap to post a lot and flood out other, less active voices that might be against them or their scummates, hence why I want to make sure everyone has the choice to post their share of the 676 posts and don't get flooded out or pushed to the edges by more active voices.

As in would it be a scumtell for you if you were not the most active player in the game? No of course not, as long as you post content and scumhunt and don't go completely AWOL then whether or not you are the most active player isn't going to affect my read.

Or do you mean would it be a scumtell for the other person if they were more active than you? The answer is still no, I can imagine a good amount of the playlist being as active or even more active than you, once again it depends on if their activity is accompanied by scumhunting and legit content or not.

Yes, my vote on Ruy was just RVS. I thought that would be obvious by the "Ruy Ruy Ruy..." thing.

Kk, then what are your thoughts on RR and his play so far, now that he has posted more?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Hello everyone. *tip hat*

Bardull - Don't self hammer, ok? Although with this player list, you should be able to keep your cool.
Fortunately, I learn from my mistakes. It won't happen again. You seem confident that I'm town this game though, as that's advice you'd be giving to a Town BarDulL.

Nsh dude we mist maike surews that wer lyndh him caise he is scim and ir not gonra be anto=town
Seriously? Get out of here with that ****. This is so incredibly anti-town that I want to believe that you're scum for it. Surely you read about the very important, unique, and core mechanic of this game, the one about the 676 post limit per Day phase, right?

RVS is necessary in any game of mafia. Unless we're thinking about playing something similar to a Sandbox game in EM where everyone randomly votes or bandwagons without talking. That sounds fun. Kidding.

Hi July. We're not familiar with each other. Lets get familiar. If I told you to give me a solution to the equation 4 + x -2 = 6, how would you respond?

Circus. This will be our first game together. I look forward to playing with you. If you had a choice, is there anyone on the roster you would dayvig right now?

Gorf - We've had our ups and downs. I'm willing to put aside dumb **** if you are.

Raziek - Same to you. Except I'm less cooperative with your behalf. I'll treat you like I would treat any other player though. Or try to, anyway. By the by, why did you respond to Ran's question, but not respond to the even more counter productive RR?

John - I hate trying to read you. I'm probably going to end up using my independent joker ability on you. Yes, it will kill you, but then I'll replace you in the deck and take your role. Unless you want me to do it to someone else, in which case, who do you think I should kill?

Marshy - Bonjour. Parlez-vous francaise?

MockingJay - Long time no see since AT. I'm looking forward to playing with you both as well.

Ran - The post limit does not help us, but it's meant to force us to really think and act with every post that we make. No one can needlessly post anymore without being concerned about the consequences. By the way, how do you feel about me so far?

Sokr - We meet. I've seen your name here and there, but I don't know who you are. How many games of mafia have you played?

Nabe - Be warned, I'm better than I was in AT.

Vote: Sokr

Also, I think it would be best to reserve the last 30 posts SPECIFICALLY for calling out how we're going to hammer so that nothing can potentially go wrong. The number is arbitrary, but it feels like enough to briefly talk things over and put votes down near the end of the day, should it come to that. Call it a reserve in case scum tries to fluff up the thread with needless posts and staged arguments. I'll figure out a system for making this work if we all think it's a good idea to enforce.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
JTB still being obvtown :smirk:. I like Nabe strictly cuz of his mockingjay read (if that was legit). Will get down to legit shiz when I get home but for now Vote: MockingJay. Bardulls almost up there with MJ. John might be too but isn't nearly as bad if he is at all. Truth be told I don't quite remember, just leaving future me notes. My next post should be a big one so be scared blablabla yadayada k.

John2k4

The End of an Era
@Ran - Sokr and Raz are good with me so far. I have played with both of them in the past (Sokr more frequently), and reading them isn't something I remember having trouble with.

@Barbell - So you claiming to be town vig or something there? It's too early to be throwing around gambit kills, bro.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
@mockingGAY re: last question in this post: what? not only is the term "rvs" just dumb in general but do you really think people are going to be like "no lets not have a phase that is literally in every game"? what else would we have?

@jtb i forget why people have this impression of me that im inactive all daily. from what i remember im usually pretty active. i guess youre just making assumptions about my play solely off of math blasters. as for players to worry about...there are none imo

also what the **** @ trying to come up with structure for the post limit. question @ anyone who has played on this site a lot: does town generally post so much that 676 posts on d1 is usually exceeded? cuz in my last two games we didnt need that **** and scum still died. and the game before that. oh and the game before that too

dat ***

GIMME DAT *** I WANT DAT ***

vote nabe
vote raziek

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Ok, I like you Nabe. I agree that people would fluff when it comes to Me/Bardull. (To seem town) Does this make you suspect JTB/Mocking J or is it just something to keep a tab on? (Yes, this is an important question, so don't ask if it is because it would only be a waste to do so! :bee:)
I agree to Nabe's accusation for MockingJ 'calling me out' seeming like possible fluff, but I don't think nothing of it (I'm taking it as null and will just see how his play plays out, like a deck of cards xP ). I fail to see why Nabe hasn't called JTB out for the same thing though. Nabe, why haven't you?
It's not really about you. I only named that as a mechanism that I'm seeing in play.

MJ's entire post train has been fluff (not as big a deal) and mediation of posts and content (big deal). (Maybe I should say arbitration?) A page into the day, the slot already vibes as a stanceless go-between.

JTB doesn't read that way. He's been useless-useless, not goal-oriented-useless.

I'm asking for a correction of playstyle from MJ; they've made like 4 posts. It will be sus if play continues down that track.

Sokr

Smash Journeyman
@Bardull. Ya, we were in dk Mafia together. I've played 3 games. One newbie, britches and hose and dk.

John, why are you always so hard to read? This shouldn't be your goal as town.

RR, what are you doing? If you're actually doing something and told us as such, then you couldn't be that concerned with scum knowing it then just tell us.

:phone:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Raziek, to answer your question about John now, it wasn't so much to see what he would be looking for, but rather if he was planning to take a different approach to the game given the mechanics. Him not answering it is just null to me though.

However, Nabe answered my question indirectly. Discussion of how to make use of our limited posts is essentially just fluff. Smart scum hunting is still going to be the #1 factor in finding scum, not just looking at post count.

And with that:

If irts not ****ing obviours what I'm doing, yur dumb as bricks. Igf you thunk I ams drunk rifght now youe alsio dumb.

Deitz is a kerk.

@July: I diskirk jis fumb attitufde. Inferesting her doesn"t adk me ig I gotya dio thes.
RR, please elaborate on this when you get in here, or just translate what you were trying to say into the words of a sober man.

Right now, I don't like Raziek or MJ in particular. Raziek read comes from his early posts on policing the thread for fluff and telling players not to do so when he's just doing the same thing.

But my vote on RR still stands, I'm uncomfortable with his slot atm and I want his sober thoughts before I move from him.

#HBC | Gorf

Alright this game seems like it will be fun! So I checked how many pages this game will be (in terms of deadline) and its about 17 pages which seems quite a lot when looked at in retrospect but most D1s are the longest with it lasting to about pg 30 nowadays. Sang and Myself will be most likely limiting ourselves to posting too too often *due to our schedules and we prefer having our thoughts more fleshed out>massive amounts of posts*

Due to past experiences, I would like to kindly ask Ran/Bardull if you two would limit the amount of posts you guys make because it will not only flood the thread but it also subtracts from our deadline/discussion time. Just from past experience, you two do like to post loooots haha.

Got a question, due to our posting being limited, what are peoples thoughts on having an RVS phase in the game?

Vote: Sokr
@ First bolded, what the eff. This serves zero purpose except to say "Hey guys I'm contributing!" In fact, anybody who I feel is exasperating the importance of this 676 post shiz has a tint of scumminess to me, because there's really no need to discuss it. Just play the game like it's supposed to be played, if we find ourselves approaching the 676 mark we lynch scum and BOOM. By discussing this we're just... wasting time, and giving scum like MockingJay the upper hand in that THEIR CONTENT CAN BE MASKED BY USING THE LIMIT. If you wanna conserve posts, go ahead. But I don't like the way MockingJay went about this, in comparison to July where she's not seizing any content flow, rather, pointing out exactly what I said: people need to be conscientious, but don't dwell on it.

@ Second bolded, totally empty question. Totally empty question. Both sides of MockingJay, if not then at least J, the sure maker of this post, should know that RVS is gonna happen. But hey, it has to do with the restriction of this game so why NOT talk about it right?

I actually do like the idea you are proposing towards the game of having it be shortened. My thing about RVS was just a consideration and as long as it doesn't go past post 100.
It may be weak, but ain't it funny how he wasn't willing to give his opinion on the matter at first, but now that July has stated her stance, he states her agreeing with July? Idk I calls em as I sees em.

Ideally, we should deal with them by getting them to please remain quiet and not say anything more. However, I am not against pressuring those who are being utterly useless with the content they bring about. With each post in this game, it is somewhat much more valuable there will be much fewer. Fluff-posting is a scum-tell I like to follow and this game it will become a bit more evident that someone is by wasting our day phase which is kind of like a ticking time bomb ooooor like Majora's Mask with the Moon slowly coming down with each step.

@Ran: We are not asking you to stop playing how you normally are, we are just asking you to not blow up the thread with a mass amount of posts that will limit us from being able to do more than just focus on your slot/the one you have intertwined yourself with if you get what I mean haha.

With regards to your question, I don't really see how anyone benefits from the restriction of post capping. o_o Can you explain how you feel scum would benefit in that sort of situation?

@Raz/July: What do you think of John's response to my semi-callout of him?
I mean the whole post is ******** but especially @ dat bolded. Man MockingJay's so scum.

Meh, I'll get into Bardull scum later, I'd rather J dead first either way. So c'mon pile dem votes on. @JTownBro get at dat J wagon mang, trust me the seats are warm. You too Sokr. And you too Marshymang.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
@Raziek - Whoops, admittedly I skimmed your post when I asked you that question. I just did a thorough read and I see you responded to RR's...I don't even know wtf to call it posting. Nevermind.

Anyway, now that I've done a thorough read...

So far, my biggest qualms lay with John. All of his posts are fluffy and seem very inconsequential considering the post limit that we're working with. The RVS vote was fine, but his general responses aren't trying to achieve anything in particular from what I can see. We've already had a prime example of bad posting from RR, so for him to follow suit is odd and peculiar at best. I also do not like his response to my question either; his response involved asking me if I was day vig (why would you want to potentially out this information as Town?) and then tells me that it's too early to do a killing gambit. Albeit we're not all caught up and posted, I feel comfortable with his lynch toDay.

Vote: John

If someone has a case for TownJohn, I'm willing to listen, but I don't see it at the moment.

I don't like RR one bit right now, so I can't wait to see an explanation for his posting. I may consider switching over to him in the future depending on how things progress.

I like where Gorf is going with Mockingjay and I want to see how Mockingjay responds. I have no qualms letting Gorf run loose for now.

@Gorf - Interesting that you find me to be scummy already when I've only posted once. I won't hold it to you to talk about it now since you're dealing with Mockingjay, but lets talk later when you don't have your hands tied.

Mockingjay

Smash Rookie
Sorry I haven't posted before this but I've been pretty busy.

@Sang I hope there's no hard feelings from our previous game, know that I get the difference between where the game lies and DO know where the limit is. I won't push it this time, and this is my form of saying I'm sorry
No hard feelings. Honestly, I was over it shortly after it happened. I understand that this is a game and that tensions run high sometimes. I feel I should apologize as well because my actions did nothing to appease the situation.

July, I believe the post count cap will keep the game active since town needs to make use of the limited posts to find scum and scum wants to run out the number of posts in the day. Meaningless questions should be avoided, hence my comment to Ran. However, posts like the ones that RR has been making are detrimental to town.
I don't really care for posts like these. All of these posts that have been centered on discussing and speculating about post count and who posts what or who makes however many posts seems to just be using up posts. I'm not saying we forget about the importance of this but we're wasting posts discussing speculations. If anything, we should keep it in the back of our mind but move on to more useful items. Let's move on, shall we?

Can you clarify the bolded, I'm not comprehending what that sentence means and I'm not sure if its just worded strangely or I'm just not getting it.
I'm not exactly sure what J was trying to say so I assume it's bad wording but I think he was trying to say that there will most likely be fewer inactive people as our posting has been limited, or maybe that it's more valuable that we have fewer inactive people.

@mockingGAY re: last question in this post: what? not only is the term "rvs" just dumb in general but do you really think people are going to be like "no lets not have a phase that is literally in every game"? what else would we have?
I'll ask J to respond to this because, apparently, he and I have different stances on RVS. While I don't extensively use it to get reads, I see the usefulness of it and the inevitability of it (although some of us seem to have skipped out of that phase already).

Gorf. Followed by RR. But I haven't seen everyone's play yet so I'll be taking this with a grain of salt. I hope you're town because, as John said, I like your scumhunting.

Gorf, shame about you not getting mvp in DK mafia. You deserved it. Can we expect similar gameplay here?
@Bardull. Ya, we were in dk Mafia together. I've played 3 games. One newbie, britches and hose and dk.

RR, what are you doing? If you're actually doing something and told us as such, then you couldn't be that concerned with scum knowing it then just tell us.
Sokr, posts like these make me not like you. Your first post has nothing useful in it at all and your question to Gorf need not have been asked. The second post is the same, except with the added bit of restatement of RR questioning. I get you only have 2 posts but more could have been said.

The same can be said of John, but he is just more blatant about it. I don't care for either of them at the moment.

Bardull, explain to me more about your vig comment and why you think John is scum because of it. You say you don't like his response, but you don't really explain why.

John, in response to your comment in 50, town has to be able to bend in order to work together. That being said, just because people that were posting fluff stop, it doesn't mean that scum will jump in to post fluff. If anything, it would open up spots for others to make better use of more posts. Regardless, I don't like making them stop posting because then we wouldn't be able to get any reads from them.

Gorf, I can't say much to you about your post. I will save that for J because I'm not sure what was running through his head.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The last sentence is a good point, but can you explain the bolded? How do you see posting caps as an excuse to coast toDay?
I don't want anyone to feel like they have a free pass to avoid posting under the guise of "saving posts" is all. Town has a natural incentive to make their posts count. Scum has a natural incentive to goad others to talk and lurk or post fluff in order to haste the Day. Enforcing rules on how to post just gives scum a good reason to back one of those methods, without shouldering all of the responsibility for their actions. I'd rather just focus on examining people in their natural habitat.

Circus. This will be our first game together. I look forward to playing with you. If you had a choice, is there anyone on the roster you would dayvig right now?
I would not kill anyone this early into the game. There are players on this roster that I would certainly consider killing by the end of Day 1 though. Is anyone other than John a viable lynch to you toDay?

Sokr, talk to me about John and MockingJay. Leaning scummy/townie and why?

Raziek, based on the brief happenings so far, who would you shoot first between John and Red Ryu?

Mockingjay

Smash Rookie
Can you clarify the bolded, I'm not comprehending what that sentence means and I'm not sure if its just worded strangely or I'm just not getting it.
It seems I've messed up the wording in a few of my posts. xD Okay let me fix it. Basically, I am trying to say that posting this game with how little the posts will be this game, they are more valuable if ya get that?

Thanks for answering my John question. The thing about John for me is that he is just continuing to joke around and not really focus on anything whatsoever. His response to me sortof rubbed me as non-chalant/doesn't really care but I don't know how to take it. Its more null than anything.

also what the **** @ trying to come up with structure for the post limit. question @ anyone who has played on this site a lot: does town generally post so much that 676 posts on d1 is usually exceeded? cuz in my last two games we didnt need that **** and scum still died. and the game before that. oh and the game before that too
It was just a question more than anything because if within my post, I even contributed to RVS myself. It was just a question I had on my mind. The main point of me asking it was because I do remember some games where the RVS phase does benefit or it is absolutely usless for the most part. I was trying to generate opinions since the game is a different mechanic. =P

At the second thing, most games do go past 676 posts and its quite normal.

The bolded is a gross quote. By no means should we be telling content-less players to not post, that is just giving scum a free out by posting fluff. And the sentence that follows just feels like a backdoor to your previous statement because you rather comply with what town wants if they don't like your suggestion.
I gotta apologize for this one. That was just extremely poor wording because I said exactly opposite what I meant. I did not mean to say getting quiet people to remain quiet but I wanted to say I wanted to get people who are quiet to talk more by pressuring them. It wasn't a backdoor to the previous statement, I just messed up my previous statement.

Now onto Gorf:

@ First bolded, what the eff. This serves zero purpose except to say "Hey guys I'm contributing!" In fact, anybody who I feel is exasperating the importance of this 676 post shiz has a tint of scumminess to me, because there's really no need to discuss it. Just play the game like it's supposed to be played, if we find ourselves approaching the 676 mark we lynch scum and BOOM. By discussing this we're just... wasting time, and giving scum like MockingJay the upper hand in that THEIR CONTENT CAN BE MASKED BY USING THE LIMIT. If you wanna conserve posts, go ahead. But I don't like the way MockingJay went about this, in comparison to July where she's not seizing any content flow, rather, pointing out exactly what I said: people need to be conscientious, but don't dwell on it.
This is seriously reaching for a point to call us scum, Gorf. It was my first post into the game and I was just pointing out a fact I had found out from when I was looking at things for this game. We were not trying to "seize content flow" as you exaggerate but moreso making a post. If this is how you feel about our post, what do you make of those players who are not taking the game serious yet and are still fluff posting?

This point is just a reach because we did not dwell on this fact even in our next couple of posts we begin to ask questions towards people to encourage the game to go farther.

So far, my biggest qualms lay with John. All of his posts are fluffy and seem very inconsequential considering the post limit that we're working with. The RVS vote was fine, but his general responses aren't trying to achieve anything in particular from what I can see. We've already had a prime example of bad posting from RR, so for him to follow suit is odd and peculiar at best. I also do not like his response to my question either; his response involved asking me if I was day vig (why would you want to potentially out this information as Town?) and then tells me that it's too early to do a killing gambit. Albeit we're not all caught up and posted, I feel comfortable with his lynch toDay.

Vote: John
The first part of the paragraph are fair points against John, however, what I dislike is the continuing of Bardull. He seems to be trying to make his case seem stronger than it actually is with facts that are less than true.

I don't like the bolded because he is trying to compare John to being another RR which isn't even the case at all. You make an arbitrary statement saying that "its odd and peculiar at best" which doesn't give us any reasoning as to why its "odd and peculiar" nor does it give us anything to tell us why it is scummy persay. It feels you are more saying that he is anti-town and should die for that fact alone over scummy behaviour.

Yellow part, he does not explain what is scummy about John's actions and nor do I agree with his opinion on the situation because I didn't get that impression from John and I didn't think his reaction was that bad.

Bardull said:
If someone has a case for TownJohn, I'm willing to listen, but I don't see it at the moment.
I don't like this because it looks like backdoor. Well..let me correct that it doesn't look like a backdoor, it is one and a pretty obvious one too. He is saying that is is willing to listen to those who may have a reasoning for TownJohn or case but in the end he just says "not seeing it at the moment." I don't get/like the qualifier he put here in case someone does in fact see John as leaning town.

Bardull said:
I like where Gorf is going with Mockingjay and I want to see how Mockingjay responds. I have no qualms letting Gorf run loose for now.
Hee doesn't explain what he likes about where Gorf is going and the last sentence sets off alarm bells because it somewhat alludes to Gorf being town in his eyes without really showing why and saying "don't mind him running amuck whatever he does." off of one post.

[quote-Bardull]@Gorf - Interesting that you find me to be scummy already when I've only posted once. I won't hold it to you to talk about it now since you're dealing with Mockingjay, but lets talk later when you don't have your hands tied.[/QUOTE]

Bardull doesn't even really question Gorf's scum-read on him but moreso just says its "interesting and that they should talk about it later." if he was really concerned, Gorf can multi-task even though he is pushing me. It looks more like a way to hide behind the fact that Gorf is pushing me so he doesn't get involved too much right now. I don't like the somewhat buddying nature he has had towards Gorf in the last two quotes because they seem too...I really can't find the right word but it's somewhere between being too friendly/complacent/non-chalant.

So, Bardull is getting our vote. ;P

Unvote
Vote: Bardull

Mockingjay

Smash Rookie

:phone:
Could you give me some reads on some of the more prominent players in the game. Can you also explain to me the importance of these questions directed at John/RR and what you hope to accomplish with them?

#HBC | Gorf

K. Cool. Thank you for the read :) MockingJay's town, and Bardull's scum.

Unvote Vote: Bardull

Bardull said:
Fortunately, I learn from my mistakes. It won't happen again. You seem confident that I'm town this game though, as that's advice you'd be giving to a Town BarDulL.
Bardull said:
Seriously? Get out of here with that ****. This is so incredibly anti-town that I want to believe that you're scum for it. Surely you read about the very important, unique, and core mechanic of this game, the one about the 676 post limit per Day phase, right?

RVS is necessary in any game of mafia. Unless we're thinking about playing something similar to a Sandbox game in EM where everyone randomly votes or bandwagons without talking. That sounds fun. Kidding.
Bardull said:

Bardull said:
Bardull said:

@Gorf - Interesting that you find me to be scummy already when I've only posted once. I won't hold it to you to talk about it now since you're dealing with Mockingjay, but lets talk later when you don't have your hands tied.I like where Gorf is going with Mockingjay and I want to see how Mockingjay responds. I have no qualms letting Gorf run loose for now.
And there's why. Is there really an explanation needed?

#HBC | Gorf

I never actually had a scum read on your slot. I just wanted to get reading you out of the way, if that makes sense, and I felt that making a ****ty case would be a good way of doing that... which it was.

@Quote #1:

Bardull deduced that JTB felt he was town this game from a post giving em stupid advise... When he hadn't even posted? Yea... FAKE SCUMHUNTING. The way that that's worded is meant to be incriminating, and meant to give off the vibe that a townie shouldn't have that sort of read on him, when ultimately Bardull's making that shiz up. He's BAD at fake scumhunting, as you've seen in DK maf, and if you can show me the legitimacy and town intent in that post, PLEASE do.

@Quote #2:

Overreaction. "What would a townie say?" See: DK Mafia. Seriously it's a freaking regurgitation.

@Quote #3:

Useless, off base question to a player he's never seen before that looks like he's trying to deduce something when, ultimately, he'll get absolutely nothing from the question and move on with his life. Basically, Kuz' #1 scum tell that's never been wrong. Once again, See: DK Mafia.

@Quote #4:

First thing he does is say that his posts are yadayada considering the post limit. His insistence on nailing the post limit is just an out to not really post content, and gives him room to dwell on that. His points against him just hold no weight, and John is super easy to paint as scummy. And then look at the response to Bardull's question section: the whole explanation of how asking if he was day vig would out town info? He's BEGGING for town points there. In fact that whole thing is just him putting himself in a place where he can try to comfortably lie for the next few days without putting much content in.

@Quote #5:

Honestly, generally what you said MockingJay. He's just so cool with letting me slide with my read on you... And he's almost trying to cajole me and get on my good side... He's just a scumbag overall mang.

#HBC | Nabe

dat ***

GIMME DAT *** I WANT DAT ***

vote nabe
vote raziek
He's talking to me~

I hear you're a good player or something

oh man this guy

However, Nabe answered my question indirectly. Discussion of how to make use of our limited posts is essentially just fluff. Smart scum hunting is still going to be the #1 factor in finding scum, not just looking at post count.
Question?
What sort of scumtells will you be looking for this game?
Oh.
Well yeah, obviously standard tells apply.

Nabe - Be warned, I'm better than I was in AT.
okay
Hi July. We're not familiar with each other. Lets get familiar. If I told you to give me a solution to the equation 4 + x -2 = 6, how would you respond?
wait no
p.s. were you bad in AT?

Enforcing rules on how to post just gives scum a good reason to back one of those methods, without shouldering all of the responsibility for their actions. I'd rather just focus on examining people in their natural habitat.
oh man this guy
(in a good way)

July

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I would ask how this helps you get to know me in terms of mafia? Also, we have played together, in D.Gray and Halloween Party Mafia, HP mafia I remember you being pretty inactive. You say you've learned from your mistakes, how have you improved so I plan to hope to see you active and contributing to the discussion.

It's not really about you. I only named that as a mechanism that I'm seeing in play.

MJ's entire post train has been fluff (not as big a deal) and mediation of posts and content (big deal). (Maybe I should say arbitration?) A page into the day, the slot already vibes as a stanceless go-between.

JTB doesn't read that way. He's been useless-useless, not goal-oriented-useless.

I'm asking for a correction of playstyle from MJ; they've made like 4 posts. It will be sus if play continues down that track.
I'm don't agree with the bolded. I didn't read much into JTB's introductory post until people started answering his questions I realized that some of the questions, such as the ones to Sokr and John, could be used by scum to gather information. Asking about scumtells John would look lets scum know what behavior to avoid, and asking Sokr who he finds most threatening can be used against Sokr or the person he states is most threatening as scum later in the game. I also find his reads to be pretty safe so far, especially as his MJ read is nested in with a lot of stronger opinions about MJ fluffing, so it was a pretty safe stance for him to take at the time.

It seems I've messed up the wording in a few of my posts. xD Okay let me fix it. Basically, I am trying to say that posting this game with how little the posts will be this game, they are more valuable if ya get that?

Thanks for answering my John question. The thing about John for me is that he is just continuing to joke around and not really focus on anything whatsoever. His response to me sortof rubbed me as non-chalant/doesn't really care but I don't know how to take it. Its more null than anything.
Kk yes that makes sense.

I understand that, John is not someone I find useful right now, but I don’t find him scummy either for his non-chalant attitude; he just needs to get involved in the conversation more so I can get a read on him.

@Gorf’s v. MJ: Reads TvT to me, I’ve found MJ town so far and I think that they handled Gorf’s case really well in attacking the main flaw in it, that all the points were reachy. But I also believe that Gorf was using that case to interact with MJ and try to get a read on them, especially since it helped me get a better read on them too.

One question however for Gord: You said that you liked Nabe because of his MJ read-was that a legit read knowing now that you never really suspected MJ like you said you did?

John, can you please answer my question from my #43 on your current read on RR?

Unvote
Vote JTB

Also v/la until Tuesday for finals (although tbh I’ll probably still be here procrastinating until late Monday -_-).

Mockingjay

Smash Rookie
Hi, I would ask how this helps you get to know me in terms of mafia? Also, we have played together, in D.Gray and Halloween Party Mafia, HP mafia I remember you being pretty inactive.

Also v/la until Tuesday for finals (although tbh I’ll probably still be here procrastinating until late Monday -_-).
July...I think you are thinking of someone else because Bardull wasn't in D.Gray or Halloween because his first game in DGames was Adventure Time Mafia.

Second part, I ****ing died July! You have no idea. xD

July

Smash Apprentice
July...I think you are thinking of someone else because Bardull wasn't in D.Gray or Halloween because his first game in DGames was Adventure Time Mafia.

Bah you are right, I'm thinking of assianaussie >< at least that's who I'm thinking of who was in Halloween...my brain isn't functioning right now I guess, thank you J.

Bardull, ignore that part of my post, I got you confused with someone else, but I would still like to know how that math question would help you get to know me better in mafia.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
KA-MAE-HA-MAE-WALL!

Next thing, I dislike this next post by Bardull for a couple of reasons.

The first part of the paragraph are fair points against John, however, what I dislike is the continuing of Bardull. He seems to be trying to make his case seem stronger than it actually is with facts that are less than true.
Asking someone if they are the day vig isn't scummy? I disagree. I'll address this point later.

I don't like the bolded because he is trying to compare John to being another RR which isn't even the case at all. You make an arbitrary statement saying that "its odd and peculiar at best" which doesn't give us any reasoning as to why its "odd and peculiar" nor does it give us anything to tell us why it is scummy persay. It feels you are more saying that he is anti-town and should die for that fact alone over scummy behaviour.
But it IS the case. RR has posted entirely useless content and wasted posting space, and John is essentially following that example. That's why it's odd and peculiar. John should already know better than to be posting the way he's posting because RR has already done something everyone has gouged at him for. He can't use the excuse "he didn't know any better" because RR's example of bad posting was ALREADY THERE.

Admittedly, sometimes things just make sense in my head and I forget to explain them thoroughly and I assume everyone knows what I'm talking about. The reason why's it scummy is because the typical Town mentality in this game should be to provide as much content as possible in each post without providing filler as a part of it. In fact, you yourself said that filler and useless content in itself is a scum tell or should be taken as one. Although I have to ask, why did you out that information aloud? <==That's a serious question I want you to answer by the way.

Look at John's posts and ask yourself "Is John aware that he is pushing us closer to the posting limit by posting useless content?"

Yellow part, he does not explain what is scummy about John's actions and nor do I agree with his opinion on the situation because I didn't get that impression from John and I didn't think his reaction was that bad.
I'll explain this later on in my post.

I don't like this because it looks like backdoor. Well..let me correct that it doesn't look like a backdoor, it is one and a pretty obvious one too. He is saying that is is willing to listen to those who may have a reasoning for TownJohn or case but in the end he just says "not seeing it at the moment." I don't get/like the qualifier he put here in case someone does in fact see John as leaning town.
Actually, I was baiting people to come to John's defense. There is no Town case for John, there really isn't, and there won't be.

Hee doesn't explain what he likes about where Gorf is going and the last sentence sets off alarm bells because it somewhat alludes to Gorf being town in his eyes without really showing why and saying "don't mind him running amuck whatever he does." off of one post.
This was to add pressure onto you in responding to Gorf. I knew Gorf's case was a crock of ****, but over exaggerated pressure is always great early on in the game for getting reads.

However, I did not specify whether or not I felt Gorf was Town. I liked where his actions were leading however, as you're a tough cookie to read from time to time.

Bardull doesn't even really question Gorf's scum-read on him but moreso just says its "interesting and that they should talk about it later." if he was really concerned, Gorf can multi-task even though he is pushing me. It looks more like a way to hide behind the fact that Gorf is pushing me so he doesn't get involved too much right now. I don't like the somewhat buddying nature he has had towards Gorf in the last two quotes because they seem too...I really can't find the right word but it's somewhere between being too friendly/complacent/non-chalant.
Dividing Gorf's attention between myself and you is counter-productive MJ since it alleviates pressure from you as well as the seriousness of the situation. I also wanted to get a read on you. To be blunt, there is still one thing that is making me extremely uncomfortable about your slot: why would you talk about filler or bad posting being a scum tell? That's not something scum would immediately understand or recognize, so I'm completely at odds as to why you outed that information early on.

I never actually had a scum read on your slot. I just wanted to get reading you out of the way, if that makes sense, and I felt that making a ****ty case would be a good way of doing that... which it was.

@Quote #1:

Bardull deduced that JTB felt he was town this game from a post giving em stupid advise... When he hadn't even posted? Yea... FAKE SCUMHUNTING. The way that that's worded is meant to be incriminating, and meant to give off the vibe that a townie shouldn't have that sort of read on him, when ultimately Bardull's making that shiz up. He's BAD at fake scumhunting, as you've seen in DK maf, and if you can show me the legitimacy and town intent in that post, PLEASE do.

@Quote #2:

Overreaction. "What would a townie say?" See: DK Mafia. Seriously it's a freaking regurgitation.

@Quote #3:

Useless, off base question to a player he's never seen before that looks like he's trying to deduce something when, ultimately, he'll get absolutely nothing from the question and move on with his life. Basically, Kuz' #1 scum tell that's never been wrong. Once again, See: DK Mafia.

@Quote #4:

First thing he does is say that his posts are yadayada considering the post limit. His insistence on nailing the post limit is just an out to not really post content, and gives him room to dwell on that. His points against him just hold no weight, and John is super easy to paint as scummy. And then look at the response to Bardull's question section: the whole explanation of how asking if he was day vig would out town info? He's BEGGING for town points there. In fact that whole thing is just him putting himself in a place where he can try to comfortably lie for the next few days without putting much content in.

@Quote #5:

Honestly, generally what you said MockingJay. He's just so cool with letting me slide with my read on you... And he's almost trying to cajole me and get on my good side... He's just a scumbag overall mang.
I'll try to take this post seriously. :smirk:

In quote 1, I never specified whether or not JTB was Town from my sentiment, only that JTB gave me advice that would normally suit a Town BarDulL if JTB knew I was Town. It seemed out of place to be giving me advice like that when he shouldn't be aware of my alignment as Town, however I did not give it further inspection or poking. It's interesting however that you came to the conclusion that you thought I thought he was Town. I don't condone your efforts, but this is a serious case of grasping and I feel you should be able to do better than that. ;)

In quote 2, I was actually pretty pissed that RR came into the thread posting the way he did and wasting space as a result. We actually DO have a posting cap, and if he's Town, what he did is easily one of the dumbest things anyone can do to negatively impact the Town faction in this game. Speaking of which, I vaguely recall you reacting in a similar manner, except not quite as lengthy as my own tangent. Don't you think you're being hypocritical here?

In quote 3, talking with Circus and getting an idea of where he stands in the intellectual spectrum is useful. It's almost the same thing as asking someone how many games of mafia they've played; you get a general idea of where they stand and how experienced they are. A feel. You also get a general idea of what to expect from their play in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having played with Circus, or July for that matter, like you do. Or Sokr, really. I don't think Sokr really posted in D1 of DKMafia, so I'm unfamiliar with his play.

This argument can be backed by the fact that I did not ask questions to players I'm familiar with or have played with before.

Quote 4, even if you believe that John is super easy to paint as scum, I myself don't need to paint him for you to see that he is scummy. I distinctly remember his play in AT when I disregarded him because everyone thought he was noobtown, although in actuality he was scum. I really don't feel like leaving stones unturned this game and throwing him the noob card simply because people think he's easy to paint.

Look at the facts and John's posts. John knows there is a posting limit, however there are posts of his where he completely disregards the limit by making posts that are filler, unnecessary, and anti-town. As Town, he should be of the mentality that he needs to be cautious with how and what he posts because of the posting limit, but instead he is oblivious to this mentality and it shows quite clearly in his posts.

As for the vig thing, John asking me if I'm the day vig IS NOT PRO-TOWN. The route he took in answering my question was grimy and distasteful in that there isn't a clear Town motivation for asking me if I'm the day vig. Asking me if I'm the day vig can potentially out information that Town normally wouldn't want to be outed. Instead, he should have gone a different route. Admittedly this is one of my weaker points on him, but I've played games where scum has tried to "call Town's bluff" to seem more Townie, but they don't realize that calling out someone on a bluff by asking them if they are the day vig is actually not pro-town because it outs information that doesn't and shouldn't be outed.

Hi, I would ask how this helps you get to know me in terms of mafia? Also, we have played together, in D.Gray and Halloween Party Mafia, HP mafia I remember you being pretty inactive. You say you've learned from your mistakes, how have you improved so I plan to hope to see you active and contributing to the discussion.
It helps give me an idea of what to expect from you as far as your personality and your approach to the game. I also like getting familiar with each player now, sort of like a hello, before I get invested in the game. It's a social thing, I don't know. From what I've gathered though, you're cautious and a bit of skeptic when dealing with players you're unfamiliar with. You're also humble in that you recognize when you make mistakes, but I don't get the feeling that they happen often in accordance with your last post. You're serious and punctual. The question itself wasn't meant to get an alignment read on you. Curiously, do you think what I did was scummy?

@Circus - Nothing is set in stone this early in the game. This isn't meant to be a backdoor, only that it's reasonable of me to not go all in so soon. We're only on page 2 of 40ppp for crying out loud, haha. John is really, really scummy though, and I'm perfectly fine with his lynch toDay. MJ bothers me to a degree, and RR makes me want to punch a hole in the wall.

#HBC | Gorf

July said:
One question however for Gord: You said that you liked Nabe because of his MJ read-was that a legit read knowing now that you never really suspected MJ like you said you did?
No, that wasn't a legit read. Basically everything said that added to my "MJ scum read" was weight to pile on. I don't have a read on em yet.

#HBC | Gorf

This is a post, by the way, stating that I will probably not be reading the above Bardull post, and that if I do, I'm certainly not going to take the time out to respond. But I implore players to wagon this guy.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I shouldn't HAVE to post this because I don't like using up the post limit, buuut...

This is a post, by the way, stating that I will probably not be reading the above Bardull post, and that if I do, I'm certainly not going to take the time out to respond. But I implore players to wagon this guy.

Read my post. Your case on me is really bad and you're just grasping at a scum read.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I don't even know what's going on anymore.

V/LA 'til monday, I'm going biking/writing a report/college stuff/filling out jury duty shizzle and more.

#HBC | Nabe

Hi, I would ask how this helps you get to know me in terms of mafia? Also, we have played together, in D.Gray and Halloween Party Mafia, HP mafia I remember you being pretty inactive.
Suggesting I invited Bardull to HP Mafia oh man

I'm don't agree with the bolded. I didn't read much into JTB's introductory post until people started answering his questions I realized that some of the questions, such as the ones to Sokr and John, could be used by scum to gather information. Asking about scumtells John would look lets scum know what behavior to avoid, and asking Sokr who he finds most threatening can be used against Sokr or the person he states is most threatening as scum later in the game. I also find his reads to be pretty safe so far, especially as his MJ read is nested in with a lot of stronger opinions about MJ fluffing, so it was a pretty safe stance for him to take at the time.
This is a really decent point overall. I hadn't seen it that way, but you're right and I can see why a few people asked him the point of his questions.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I would like to keep RVS to the minimum here, ideally.

Hello, JTB.

WRT your questions:

Why are you wanting to buddy Gorf?

Explain the Town motivation in asking John what scumtells he's looking for. How does Town benefit from that knowledge?

Keep your posts concise, John. This could have been one post rather than three.

I highly doubt Ruy has a restriction, and if he continues wasting posts and being unintelligible I have no qualms with lynching him.

Now, can we protect the integrity of this thread and keep the useless posts to a minimum?
I don't like this post. I don't think Raz could have gotten much content from these questions, and I feel he picked JTB to ask questions to seem town, while fluffing up at the same time. The 'why would you buddy Gorf' question doesn't help him find scum, nor does his question about John's scumtell book. It seems fake. Also don't like the bold coming from him. I don't think he is fine with lynching RR for being possibly scum, just if RR wastes the posts he'll lynch him for it.

Underlined is fluff. Especially about the rvs/uselessness. He keeps going on and on about avoiding the useless posts. (His advice to john is legit, because john could have posted in one post)

Underlined+Bolded is the questions to JTB. I don't think he really could have seen scum intent from those questions, so that's why I don't like them.

Bolded is him being fine with a policy lynch, not a scum lynch. I feel he is trying to poster himself as town by caring about uselessness and waste of space.

Vote: Raziek

I also feel John is slightly scum for his "Yes I'm scumhunting, why do you ask this?" It seemed like a knee jerk reaction from him. It wasn't a scumhunting question, just a question to throw back at the ... person asking questions. I would expect John to be laid back and not do much yet I wouldn't expect him to ask a question like that unless he was scum. Like what was his intention in asking that? That is what I am looking at here.

Gord/JTb thoughts on this?

John, how did that question help you find scum? Is this not a question one should ask you?

Hello everyone. *tip hat*

Ran - The post limit does not help us, but it's meant to force us to really think and act with every post that we make. No one can needlessly post anymore without being concerned about the consequences. By the way, how do you feel about me so far?
Obviously null. Why would you ask me this so early in the game, rather, when you haven't even posted yet?

Unvote
(but please acknowledge / fix my concerns with your play, apparently @J rather than Sang)

Vote: Bardull
wagon vote natch
Nabe I don't see why you keep urging MJ to fix his play if it's something that can be legit suspicious. You said if he kept going down that path you would find it suspicious, so. How is he holding up read wise with you currently? Is he getting better or no?

Also, give me an explanation for your suspicion on Bardull, since you are joining the wagon.

@Ran - Sokr and Raz are good with me so far. I have played with both of them in the past (Sokr more frequently), and reading them isn't something I remember having trouble with.

@Barbell - So you claiming to be town vig or something there? It's too early to be throwing around gambit kills, bro.
Where have you played with them before? (Most recent please)

What I meant by that post is that if too many people dominate the thread and use up most of the posts before we reach the postcount cap, then scum can lurk and blame their lack of activity on active, talkative players using up all the posts. And, that's something that would be difficult to distinguish between lurking scum that chose to let others dominate the thread or low activity town that got cut out of discussion before they could post content. And scum could probably use the postcount cap to post a lot and flood out other, less active voices that might be against them or their scummates, hence why I want to make sure everyone has the choice to post their share of the 676 posts and don't get flooded out or pushed to the edges by more active voices.

As in would it be a scumtell for you if you were not the most active player in the game? No of course not, as long as you post content and scumhunt and don't go completely AWOL then whether or not you are the most active player isn't going to affect my read.

Or do you mean would it be a scumtell for the other person if they were more active than you? The answer is still no, I can imagine a good amount of the playlist being as active or even more active than you, once again it depends on if their activity is accompanied by scumhunting and legit content or not.

Kk, then what are your thoughts on RR and his play so far, now that he has posted more?
Thank you for explaining. I do agree everyone should have the chance to speak.

No I was talking about someone else posting more than me. I was just wondering if it would be odd if someone posted much more than me. I realize it won't be because I have restrained myself a bit too much, and have dropped.

John2k4

The End of an Era
JTB's "Are you going to scumhunt" just seemed to me like a very queer question. I understand it's RVS and there's crap flying everywhere, but that stuck out to me.

Played with Sokr in NM15, and I (think) in DK Mafia. Raz I am not sure specifically which games. Been too long to remember.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Gorf, what are you doin' to me? Changing your mind on J is one thing; exploring other avenues is another. Trying to erase the whole stance by saying "I didn't mean it" is something else entirely. No me gusta, Gordito. I thought we were gonna be tight this game.

Buddy buddy July buddy buddy.

Circus, thoughts on July?
Leaning town because always leaning town. And she actually does seem like she's already starting to think critically.

Sokr, talk to me about John and MockingJay. Leaning scummy/townie and why?

Raziek, based on the brief happenings so far, who would you shoot first between John and Red Ryu?
Sokr, Raziek, how is it possible that you have not answered these questions yet?

Raziek, bonus question, who are your scum partners?

John, while you're here, give me a scumpick. Like, anyone you might be getting scum vibes from. Also, why do you think my vote is on you (hint: it's not random)?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
DOUBLE POST. THIS IS IMPORTANT. SO ITS OK. :cool:

Vote: John2k4

Is it an RVS vote? Or something more? My spine tingles with anticipation!

Realtalk: <snip>
Yo Circus, tell me why you said this in the underlined.

Raziek, bonus question, who are your scum partners?

John, while you're here, give me a scumpick. Like, anyone you might be getting scum vibes from. Also, why do you think my vote is on you (hint: it's not random)?
Underlined, this implies you suspect Raz. When exactly did you garner a suspicion on Raz and why? (Give a quote too, that would help)

Bold, how could he have known your vote was random?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
JTB's "Are you going to scumhunt" just seemed to me like a very queer question. I understand it's RVS and there's crap flying everywhere, but that stuck out to me.

Played with Sokr in NM15, and I (think) in DK Mafia. Raz I am not sure specifically which games. Been too long to remember.
A queer question? Go into what this means, and why it wasn't ok for him to ask you this.

Thank you for stating the mafia games thingy.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Well with not much of anything from a few people, Circus, it's hard to give much there. If anything, Ruy is piquing my interest, and JTB's question doesn't sit right.

Ran. If I asked you "Plan on ScumHunting this game?", wouldn't you think it odd? It's pretty much a trap question for me, since it can be pulled around whatever I answer to make me look bad, and I didn't like that.

Top Bottom