• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hear me out... Lanky Kong as a playable character.

Do you want Lanky Kong in Smash

• Yeah

Votes: 62 81.6%
  • Please No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Real talk, Lanky has always been one of my dream characters. Obviously I prioritized K. Rool, but I would have been just as happy with Lanky.

Whereas most DK fans grew up with DKC mainly, I grew up with DK64. So despite his lack of recent appearances Lanky is far more of a "third Kong" to me than Dixie ever was. Though I support her too, mind you.

The dream scenario for him is that DKC6 brings back Lanky and the other DK64 Kongs, and Lanky gains a fan following that's enough to get him into Smash 6.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If PAON was still around, I bet we would’ve seen Lanky in a new game again. Shame that they’re gone.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
It's funny. Back when I first got a hold of DK64 in 2012, Lanky was a character I didn't really think much of. It wasn't that I didn't like him, he was just kinda there. I'd even say that he is to DK what Waluigi is to Mario. But the main difference there is, whereas Waluigi is at his best for me when he's flamboyantly dancing or is the butt of comical jokes n' slapstick (& is, for all intents & purposes, a jerkass), Lanky is a character that I couldn't help but eventually love.

He's goofy & presumably clumsy. Hammy, aloof yet plucky & he's got 2 cool, quirky signature abilities in gameplay!
To me, he always felt like what you'd get if you took Jungle Book's King Louie, then crossed him with Fozzie Bear or Roger Rabbit (& gave him Mr. Fantastic powers). Lanky just has that sort of "classic Disney/WB/Hanna-Barbara character" appeal to him design-wise, IMO.

imagination starts flipping at the thought of a hypothetical "Who Framed Lanky Kong" with James Rolfe as the valiant detective, Pauline as a voluptuous singer & a zany piano duel between Crash & Sonic...or Kirby & Pac-Man, IDK

.....Sorry, what were we talkin' bout? Ooh, right...
What else can I say? I love this funny face. And memes have nothing to do with it!

If we're strictly talkin' bout mandatory DK reps, Dixie comes first, BUT in the event that we hopefully get her (and maybe Funky as an echo), it's all aboard the LankyKong-veritable for me!

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Merry Friday to you all.
I recently made a post for Lanky in the "Project Proposal" thread, & wanted to share it with ya'll.
Lanky Kong:

DK Island's hairy harlequin, and the twisted twig of the Kong family tree! Despite only performing stand-up for two titles in the greater Donkey Kong lineage, this orangutan has gained a cult-following by way of his hammy mannerisms & air-headed antics. The flexible fella is a klutzy, yet friendly samaritan who lives by the phrase "anything for a laugh". This shows in his pocket o' props, including his rapid-fire grape blowgun, which, by holding "B", can somehow miraculously spawn a cream pie, a rubber duck, or even an explosive orange on occasion. That's not even mentioning his finely-tuned trombone, which can either deafen his "audience" or slip em' up with water. ( :ohwell: 'beats me how he does this stuff...)
Lanky also fancies himself a balloonist, but not in the way you might think. No, the fittingly aloof ape can inflate his gut to make extra jumps, as well as recover by drifting gently to the sky, atleast until he's "popped", to which he'll wildly flail around the stage, liable to ram anyone on his trip down. Then, of course, there are his signature elastic arms, which he makes good use of in his jab, grab, aerials, joy-buzzer forward smash & most notably, his side special - a grappling maneuver that can "about-face" into a playful tickle.

Y'know folks, by all accounts, this shouldn't be happening. A clueless comedian whose idea of a dash attack is pratfalling, sitting in the ranks with warriors, monsters, bounty hunters & boxing champions? Alas, Master Hand revels in the unorthodox. Lanky's style may be non-existent, & his lack of grace can leave much to be desired, but really, who can hate such a funny face? Besides, he's happy to do a handstand when needed (grounded up-B)

Theme: Stretch Armstrongin', Alternating Specials, Comic Mischief®
Watcha' think? Does it do justice to our looney long-armed simian?

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm sad that this will probably never happen. As much as I want Dixie, I might actually be okay with no more characters in Smash ever again if we got Lanky. There is simply endless potential for this character, in not just Smash but any capacity, and it's an absolute crime that he's only been in 3 games ever.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sad that this will probably never happen. As much as I want Dixie, I might actually be okay with no more characters in Smash ever again if we got Lanky. There is simply endless potential for this character, in not just Smash but any capacity, and it's an absolute crime that he's only been in 3 games ever.
I think he'll be possible one day, given he has the luck of being in a big series that is still healthy and in the public eye.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is unfortunate that I support Lanky simply because he is a Kong. I have not seen him yet. Nevertheless, I support.
you actually havent seen lanky before? let me explain. he has no style, he has no grace, this kong has a funny face. he can handstand when he needs to and stretch his arms out just for you. inflate himself just like a balloon, this crazy kong just digs this tune.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
you actually havent seen lanky before? let me explain. he has no style, he has no grace, this kong has a funny face. he can handstand when he needs to and stretch his arms out just for you. inflate himself just like a balloon, this crazy kong just digs this tune.
Well, I technically have SEEN him, but have never played Donkey Kong 64, so all is hearsay.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I technically have SEEN him, but have never played Donkey Kong 64, so all is hearsay.
Donkey Kong 64 was a good game and I would recommend checking it out. Though it does have it's flaws with the worlds being too big and there being too many collectables in the game. It's like a overkill Banjo-Kazooie more than a DKC game. But it's still a good game with a lot of charm worth checking out though.

Top Bottom