• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Headband Wars ~ 3 Stock'd Side Tourney

C~Dog

Smash Champion

The legendary Number One Headband.
If you have Number One, you're like, a god - nobody can touch you.
But to get it, you gotta have the Number Two Headband.
And I'll tell you something man,...
Everyone wants to get their hands on that Number One Headband.

~~~

Introducing the new side tournament for Melbourne's 3 Stock'd: Headband Wars.

Over the course of the day, players will brawl for possession of the Number One Headband; a legendary piece of cloth said to bestow Godhood unto any man who places it across his forehead. It will be a bloody war, a ruthless fight for the power of God Himself.

Anyone can challenge the Number Two; you can fight him by yourself, or join forces with another player to fight the Number Two, if you so choose. You will have less stock, but the tradeoff is being able to corner the Number Two more easiler, and maybe even take him down. Just remember that there is no rule to determine who gets the Headband after he is dead...

This is something I thought up after watching Afro Samurai for the nth time. I really love it, and decided that it would be a fun idea to take the core concept of the movie and mix it with Brawl. Hopefully it all goes well and everyone has lots of fun. :D if you haven't seen it, I check it out.

NOTE: At this point, the Headbands are purely metaphorical.

~~~​
Prizes

Just for fun at this point, might work out something special for the winner.

Rules

1v1
Number One v Number Two are 3 stock, 8 min matches.
All others are 2 stock, 5 min matches.
Items set to OFF and NONE.
All sets are best of 3 matches.

1v2
Number Two has 2 stock, challengers have 1 stock each (2 total).
5 min matches.
Items set to OFF and NONE.
Team attack ON.
All sets are best of 3 matches.

I. The Number One can only be challenged by the Number Two.

II. The Number Two can be challenged by anyone.

III. When you lose a set, you are eliminated from the contest.

IV. If you wear a Headband, you cannot refuse another player's challenge for your Headband.

V. If you wear a Headband, you cannot challenge another player, with the exception of the Number Two challenging Number One.

VI. If the Number One defeats the Number Two, he can either:
i. randomly allocate the Number Two Headband to one of the remaining players.
OR
ii. choose a player who has not yet held a Headband to receive the Number Two Headband. If all of the remaining players have held a Headband at any point, this option cannot be chosen.​
VII. If the match times out, the higher ranked player [Number One > Number Two > Others] chooses one of the following:
i. Ignore % and stock, and count the result as their win. However, if this results in the higher ranked player winning the set, the challenger is NOT eliminated.
OR
ii. Ignore % and stock, and play out Sudden Death.​
VIII. When the contest is finished, the player holding the Number One Headband is the winner.
IX. If the Number One beats the Number Two (or visa versa) and there are no players remaining to claim the Number Two Headband, he is declared the winner.

X. If two players team up to challenge the Number Two, start with 2 stock as normal, but they both must suicide once each. If they win, they can either:
i: choose one player to take the Number Two Headband
OR
ii. have a set to determine who takes the Headband.​
XI. Any and all suicide moves that end the match result in victory for the higher ranked player [Number One > Number Two > Others].

XII. No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

XIII. IDC is banned.

XIV. Stalling is banned.

XV. Higher ranked player has first pick of ports [Number One > Number Two > Others].

XVI. Higher ranked player chooses their character first. [Number One > Number Two > Others]. However, in Number One vs Number Two sets, blind picks may be called by either player.

Stages

Uses the same list as Singles and Doubles at 3 Stock'd. Follow the standard rules for stage selection.

Toby.

Smash Master
If it's a 2 v 1, you really should give the outnumbered person 3 stock and the others 1 each. It is stupidly easy to grab release infinite pretty much anyone for the win, and 2 v 1 can create some really dumb camping strats as well :/

Cool idea though.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Awsome... XD.

If it's a 2 v 1, you really should give the outnumbered person 3 stock and the others 1 each. It is stupidly easy to grab release infinite pretty much anyone for the win, and 2 v 1 can create some really dumb camping strats as well :/

Cool idea though.
The reward for winning 2v1 isn't as high, so not so many people may do it; Also chars like MK can avoid such situations with safe Ledge play.

#ref?* anyone :p.

Toby.

Smash Master
It's high if you team with somebody worse than you. It means you win.

And saying that its fine as long as you plank with MK will effectively kill the entire thing. LET'S HAVE RULES THAT FORCE YOU TO USE MK IN 2 V 1'S! COOOOOOOL.

Not trying to offend you ledge btw. I'm just tired haha.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
toby, the very idea of not using metaknight in melbourne metabourne is foreign and strange to these people, I should think they'd be very offended with you forcing your customs upon them, they will not be dictated to in this manner.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
It's high if you team with somebody worse than you. It means you win.

And saying that its fine as long as you plank with MK will effectively kill the entire thing. LET'S HAVE RULES THAT FORCE YOU TO USE MK IN 2 V 1'S! COOOOOOOL.

Not trying to offend you ledge btw. I'm just tired haha.
You say something offensive? lol I'm not offended:
If you team with someone noticably worse then you then the team shouldn't be as strong as it could be, with the exeption to people who **** in teams and not in singles due to char or ability:
The strat I'm talking about isn't planking; It's making sure both opponents are to one side of you, which means most of the time you will be near the ledge; When things get too hectic you can flee to the ledge for a breather. I'm sure theres other chars that can do this also, but as usual MK would be the best at it (in theory anyway).

Ohh and yeah we have lotsa MK mains :p.
Means 3 things:
1. We play to win; Makes the scene more competitive and gives us good experience against the most powerful char in the game.
2. We are smart; If you want to win so badly but limit yourself to non S-Tier and MK-Tier chars then you are limiting your chances to win; If you really wanted to win, you should be striving to maximize your chances within the game and the tourney rules; Unless you truly think that your char is better on the tier list; If so, then you shouldn't complain.
3. We enjoy MK to atleast some extent, whether it be winning, gimping, comboing, ****** or whatever.

This is only in the scope of Melbourne, I'm not comparing.

The Rise of the Meta Knights... xD

Toby.

Smash Master
They don't have to be good to land a grab. And good luck camping the side of the stage when you're up against two people projectile spamming you.

I'll team up with pretty much anyone in NSW and take your mk any day :p

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
HOW RUDE

It didn't link my tvtropes image of Cowboy BeBop at his computer :(

I know Ricky :)

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
You say something offensive? lol I'm not offended:

Ohh and yeah we have lotsa MK mains :p.
Means 3 things:
1. We play to win; Makes the scene more competitive and gives us good experience against the most powerful char in the game.

idk why anybody here would play solely to win when the prize is like 50 bucks. Either way, I'd rather be in a region where people play for fun but are also competitive at the same time (does that make sense?).

Kind of like, they want to win, but they value having fun over it.

So yeah, for me at least, a place where they play mostly MK isn't a good thing.

Not that playing MK isn't fun, but that's just me.

Vermy

Smash Champion
idk why anybody here would play solely to win when the prize is like 50 bucks. Either way, I'd rather be in a region where people play for fun but are also competitive at the same time (does that make sense?).

Then go play another game. Competitive = Play to win. You have unrealistic expectations. I suppose you want us to play on Green Greens and have CPs in pools too? Oh wait...

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
no he doesnt, go to syndey, its pretty much as he descirbed it, or even better, act.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace

At high levels of play, playing to win is much more fun then playing around; Also meaning the prize money is not so important, for me anyway. I used to play the type that you mean all the time, but since learn't about the true fun in fighting games. Friendlies is where it's at for your type of fun. Nothing bad about it, it's just you will either get bored or learn for yourself eventually.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I've been playing brawl longer then any of you, and I've always played like "Kind of like, they want to win, but they value having fun over it." emphasis on having fun first, and I'm one of the best in nsw

nice answer, theres more then 1 way of thinking

mean answer, shut up your wrong.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I've been playing brawl longer then any of you, and I've always played like "Kind of like, they want to win, but they value having fun over it." emphasis on having fun first, and I'm one of the best in nsw

Really? You thought my answer was mean?
Sorry, wasn't meant to come out that way.
What I mean is that there is so many mindgames and prediction at high levels, that it really becomes exiting and blood pumping when in a tourney match and both players are doing everything to win. For me that is what is really fun about fighting games. The less serious friendlies, are more of a relaxing fun where both players are still generally trying to win; It's fun, but not in the same way or extent for me.

EDIT: Ohh I think I know what you mean now Luke ;).
I'm tired, need to go to bed... lol

Vermy

Smash Champion

I've been playing since Japanese release. I'm one of the kids who went and got freeloader. Got rid of it when American release came out though. So I've been playing Brawl the same time, if not possibly longer than you. =D

That being said, I can agree that there's more than one way of thinking, but you're neglecting what competitive mature of the majority will do. I.E. Gay to win. Thus the recent flux of MK mains. America did it, and it looks like Australia (Melbourne in particular) is headed that way.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah, mean answer as in, what I'm saying is mean, you didnt say anything mean at all

and vermy I had my wii modchipped before brawl came out and I too got the japanese release, plus I'd been doing tourneys for a while before you even went to your first tourney, how do I know? because I was at your first tourney, and the very first friendly match that you played to warm up that day was against me ;)

and I know full well what the competative majority do, and I'm saying that you dont have to conform and go down that path, you can play to win and still be a good player

as for "it really becomes exiting and blood pumping when in a tourney match and both players are doing everything to win" playing luigi against jambo's mario is always like that for me ;), by placing limiters onyourself (in this case characters) you are challenging yourself and making it harder and more fun, aswell as giving you a greater sense of achivement.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
if you play melee, playing to win and playing for fun are the same
because winning is fun, and even if you lose... who cares, it's still fun

oh wait peach and puff urgghhh ban them

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
even more fun then that though dekar, is playing weegee and winning against people you shouldnt because your me and you have like an 80% chance for a misfire

they rage so hard.

Vermy

Smash Champion
That was actually my second tourney Mr. Smarty-man :p

Like I said, not disagreeing with you, but Abhi wanting everyone to play like you and I do, (play to win AND for fun) is a pipe dream. Heck I wouldn't play PT if I didn't find him fun. And I second Falco and Marth for the same reason. Still love PT. As much as he f*cking pisses me off.

Top Bottom