• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever beaten a good snake?

Boxob

Smash Champion
This is NOT a complaint/Ineedtips thread.

Have you ever legitimately beaten a snake who knew what they were doing, didn't kill themselves somehow, or anything? I have trouble against my brothers snake, he just walks around tilting and grenading , it's tough. I just don't see how anyone could possibly do it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Snakes are dangerous because of both a potentially poisonous bite and their large strong bodies which if wrapped around you will cause strangulation. Personally, I have never legitimately beaten a snake, but I imagine with the right tools I could.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I beat Cort's once I think. and ASL?'s. and... uh... The EC is all snakes anyway. They don't really give me that much of an issue (except ASL?'s, it's such an odd style).

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
A beat a snake using its natural enemy... the mongoose.

NNID
MasterHavik
I beat the really good snak in my area. Man he pain to fight, and he can kick my kirby butt like it nothing. My kirby!!!! C'mon that a character I use for a longtime why him, but not sonic. It's sad I say.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I've played one extraordinarily good snake. I won one round, lost like the next 15 =P some were close though. Grenade Spam FTL. But then of course, back then I just spammed Spin charge anyways. So that was dumb.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I've never lost to a good Sonic before, if that's what you're asking. Snake has not one, but several advantages over Sonic. Most sonic fights involve abusing the poor hedgehog with grenade camping and our superior range. Sonic's stubby little arms usually can't reach it's target.

Your best hope of K.O.'ing a good Snake would probably have to be an aerial-based game. If you see Snake recovering on his cypher, thats your signal to ATTACK!!! Snake's recovery his horrifically predictable, and his air-game is inferior to Sonic's.

Or at least, thats what I would try.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Against Snake: Uair. Uthrough to to Uair alot at low percentages.

Don't use A spin charge/dash from far unless you plan on jumping. You will be grenadeiffied. If you want to approach from the ground, then use your dash attack, it will allow you to grab grenades with its long range.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Yes, I have beat a good Snake with Sonic. We're both tourney-goers, and he's at least good enough not to be knocked out by scrubs and holds his own against some of the better players.

And, yes, it's extremely difficult. Grenades make Sonic sad. :[

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hedgehog > Snake

"1.It's hard to imagine that such a slow and weak animal like a hedgehog can kill a viper. A viper attack is a blind attack and a retreat. But against this attack, the hedgehog opposes an armor of spines. The hedgehog irritates the viper continuously and each attack on the armor of spines further wounds the viper. When the viper is so badly wounded that it cannot longer attack, the hedgehog approaches biting the snake from its neck several times. The final bite crushes the vertebrae[Ouch].

Hedgehogs start eating the snake's head first[OMG]. The eating lasts several hours[the cruelty], as the hedgehog's teeth are rather adapted for an insect diet."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Top-7-Snake-Killers-75345.shtml

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I managed to beat Proud who is roughly on Ally's level.
Of course it was extremely close and the main reason I managed to beat him was because I never allowed him the opportunity to get his grenade game to full effect.

however I've lost to proud's snake 3 times to every 1 win I have.
So yeah Sonic is never gonna beat a good snake. The disadvantages are too great.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think Snake has that much on sonic as compared to other characters really. I've only played one or two really good snakes, and not too long at that, but still, Sonic can mess with his recovery probably better than the large majority of character, if anyone. Like Ok, snake has grenades. But then what? Grneades aren't exclusively damaging to Sonic, and a sonic savvy witht he match up will no to not approach form affar with spindashes. Once you stop spindashing from 3 miles away , grenades are really just any other ordinary projectile. Spindashes from close range clash with his tilts, Sonic can juggle snake well, many of his attacks kill snakes Mortar and his other missile thingymajigg, and killing snake isn't much of a problem if you keep the pressure.

As was in the matchup thread before all the text dissapeared, I think the matchup is pretty even and it really does depend on which character gets in control first.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Was there a list dealing with which of Snake's moves Sonic's "ball form" canceled out?

I know that Spin Charge rips right through Nikita Missile, and there was a video a while back that seemed to show an Usmash overpowering Snake dropping a C4. I also seem to remember a Nair taking out a mortar.

So if Sonic's "ball form" attacks are these:

Nair
DownB
SideB
Usmash
Dsmash

Do we know which moves counter which of Snake's moves, and to what effectiveness?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
id say the match is 35-65 in snakes favor, i can and have beaten the one good snake in my area, and ive also pushed him to 100% on his last stock w/o using the ASC so i feel confident going against them but i also know that its way too easy to lose that match with sonic. like with all of snakes matches, they can beat him butthey have to try a significant amount harder to do it

Pero

Smash Apprentice
But with the info just learned like 2 post ago maybe that ratio can change to like 45-65 or even 50-65 who knos needs more work and testing i have no good snakes i kno of near me so im grounded for this aerial fight.

Tenki

Smash Hero
grab-pummel on Snake when he's on the edge of left/middle platforms in jungle japes = destroyed.

And yes, I've defeated some competent Snakes.

Tough when they do mindgames with tilts and stop using laggy aerials :3

Tenki

Smash Hero
Of course. Knowing when to use them and what you can use to turn the momentum to your side is always helpful. I use the anti-mortar ones often especially against crappy Snakes that try to edgeguard with usmash.

Was there a list dealing with which of Snake's moves Sonic's "ball form" canceled out?

I know that Spin Charge rips right through Nikita Missile, and there was a video a while back that seemed to show an Usmash overpowering Snake dropping a C4. I also seem to remember a Nair taking out a mortar.

So if Sonic's "ball form" attacks are these:

Nair
DownB
SideB
Usmash
Dsmash

Do we know which moves counter which of Snake's moves, and to what effectiveness?
Spin Charge doesn't save you from a falling/cancelled Nikita though.

This really should be in Kojin/JayBee's thread, but...
- Mortar missile: N-air, ASC, SD hop, F-air, D-air, Homing Attack, *Dash attack
- U-smash [mortar slam] : Clangs/cancels with F-tilt, SC, *Dash attack
- Mines/dormant grenades: Spring [projectile]
-F-tilt: F-tilt, *Spin charge

* not completely sure of these.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Getting Snake into the air is crucial, imo. Snake doesn't have much going for him once you get him up there, except for maybe a Fastfalled Bair or trying to get a Nair on you. U-airing him up is the way to go! ;)

I speak from experience btw. >.>

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Thats what everyone says but snakes dair isnt just a pat on the back and fair hits some what below him... plus its a meteor smash some what

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Spin Charge doesn't save you from a falling/cancelled Nikita though.

This really should be in Kojin/JayBee's thread, but...
- Mortar missile: N-air, ASC, SD hop, F-air, D-air, Homing Attack, *Dash attack
- U-smash [mortar slam] : Clangs/cancels with F-tilt, SC, *Dash attack
- Mines/dormant grenades: Spring [projectile]
-F-tilt: F-tilt, *Spin charge

* not completely sure of these.
Hm! I was not aware that the mortar missile part could be countered by so many of Sonic's moves! Some of these seem odd though...what exactly happens when you D-air a mortar missile? Does it just explode and Sonic doesn't take any damage?

Are you immune to the mortar when Homing Attack is "rising?"

And one moooooore thing! (/Uncle) Does Spin Dash also go through Nikita (hop and ground roll)? And yeah, I know a dropped Nikita can still hurt you, but Sonic's usually miles away by then.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
grounded Spin charge from an appropriate distance at least cancels a fallen nikita.

Lol, it seems I'm the only competent sonic left that still makes common use of grounded SC =[

=P

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
I've beaten a couple of good Snakes online, but it took me a while (and a lot of losses) to figure out how to be effective against Snake.

The Sonic/Snake match up is interesting because they both have an edge on the other.

Snake can delay set Sonic up with his projectiles and armaments, plus he has the strength to outright kill Sonic avoiding his massive recovery.

Sonic can approach so quickly that he cuts through Snakes projectiles and other defenses. This speed, used properly, keeps Snake off balance and sets him up to be hit by Sonic's aerial game.

This should make the match up pretty even, but Snake has one last trump card, the Cypher. A great recovery that appears hard to beat, it can easily cut through a lot of Sonic's gimp attempts, but once you learn how it works, and how to stop it Snake should no longer be a problem.

Top Bottom