• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Have a Question? We'll give you a "Hint" - Ness Question/Answer Thread (CHECK HERE)

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Any tips on how to use Ness's Nair? I've been using it as an approach option, but that's it. Does it have any other uses?
OoS as a quick "get off me button", a combo breaker, a combo extender (dthrow -> fair -> nair), kill option offstage at high percent (110%+), can set up jab locks, covers his entire body so it's good no matter where they are, walk-up retreating nairs.

This move makes some MU's winnable lol. It's amazing. Use it A LOT (but don't get predictable with it!)

Tubruh

Smash Rookie
You expected my location, but NO! WALUIGI TIME!
NNID
Brian3dszelda
3DS FC
0748-1663-8935
Would you consider a :4shulk:good secondary for Ness? I used to main him but I love Ness more. I've been playing him for a year now and can't decide if I should use Shulk or another character . I feel like shulk can cover some of Ness's bad mu's.

I can also play :4robinf: and :4tlink:, but not as well. I'm also tired of changing my secondary all the time.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Speaking objectively: No. Shulk is a pretty bad character and his MU spread is not precisely the best, I fail to see when would you want to use Shulk instead of Ness.

But then there is matter of preference, if you feel more comfortable with X character in Y scenario, there's no reason for you to not use it.

Tubruh

Smash Rookie
You expected my location, but NO! WALUIGI TIME!
NNID
Brian3dszelda
3DS FC
0748-1663-8935
Speaking objectively: No. Shulk is a pretty bad character and his MU spread is not precisely the best, I fail to see when would you want to use Shulk instead of Ness.

But then there is matter of preference, if you feel more comfortable with X character in Y scenario, there's no reason for you to not use it.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't believe that Shulk is a bad character. I'm not thinking about dropping Ness, but Ness struggles in some matchups. (Also Shulk has sooo much potential) And I just like using him.

NEISUN

Smash Rookie
Do you know PK Fire Jump(PKFJ)?
Ness can shoot irregular PK Fire with double jump( wrong:approaches enemy with double jump and then shoots PK Fire ).Japanese Ness player often use it, and call it PKFJ.
But, in global tournament, I heardly(naver?) see this technique.why don't you use PKFJ? I think it is so powerful raid tech.
(If you know this technique,please tell me it is called in english!)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Do you know PK Fire Jump(PKFJ)?
Ness can shoot irregular PK Fire with double jump( wrong:approaches enemy with double jump and then shoots PK Fire ).Japanese Ness player often use it, and call it PKFJ.
But, in global tournament, I heardly(naver?) see this technique.why don't you use PKFJ? I think it is so powerful raid tech.
(If you know this technique,please tell me it is called in english!)
PK jump: http://smashboards.com/guides/pk-jump-technique-guide-by-cobbs.185/
I'm pretty sure it's not used often because of how unsafe it is. I mean, if the opponent shields it, you're going to be punished pretty bad.

NEISUN

Smash Rookie

NEISUN

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've never seen it before. I'm guessing that it's rare because there's not really a video on it in English.
I think so. He and his friend are hardworking!
I best PK Fire Jump in Ness's techniques. I would be happy if you know and use PKFJ!
...Calling PKFJ like Japan is mixed up with PK jump? What do you think?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I think so. He and his friend are hardworking!
I best PK Fire Jump in Ness's techniques. I would be happy if you know and use PKFJ!
...Calling PKFJ like Japan is mixed up with PK jump? What do you think?
I don't think people refer to PK jump often, and it's never shortened, so it's just PK jump, not PKJ.

I tried doing it earlier and it's kinda hard to get the timing, but if you're convinced it's helpful I guess you can make a new thread about it; that'll probably bring more attention to it.

Last edited:

NEISUN

Smash Rookie
I don't think people refer to PK jump often, and it's never shortened, so it's just PK jump, not PKJ.

I tried doing it earlier and it's kinda hard to get the timing, but if you're convinced it's helpful I guess you can make a new thread about it; that'll probably bring more attention to it.
It's nice. I try to make a new thread. thanks!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Ayo,

Is it true that Ness and Lucas both go into the 3rd dimension whenever they airdodge?
What else makes their air dodge good? I find it very difficult to beepboop them when they airdodge.

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
Ayo,

Is it true that Ness and Lucas both go into the 3rd dimension whenever they airdodge?
What else makes their air dodge good? I find it very difficult to beepboop them when they airdodge.
It's just a much longer air dodge than most of the other characters.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It's just a much longer air dodge than most of the other characters.
I was told that stages like Duck hunt, Omega Duck Hunt and Omega Flatzone will make their airdodge less effective due to the stage being 2D and them not being able to enter the Z axis. These were lies?

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
I was told that stages like Duck hunt, Omega Duck Hunt and Omega Flatzone will make their airdodge less effective due to the stage being 2D and them not being able to enter the Z axis. These were lies?
This is true, taking them to flat stages decreases the duration by six frames.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Does anyone have advice for recovering with PK Thunder. I can't seem to figure it out...

Nahric

Smash Rookie
Hey all you Ness players, why a so many of you on For Glory down right jerks?

I mean, I've come across some stupid people on For Glory, but almost every Ness I find constantly switchs there tag to insults ( SCRUB, REKT, U TRYING?, GIT GUD, and a lot more that I can't even put on smashboards) even if they get outright destroyed. It's down right stupid.

So is there any particular reason that the Ness Community is so much more cancerous than anyone else?

Pixel_

Smash Ace

I mean, I've come across some stupid people on For Glory, but almost every Ness I find constantly switchs there tag to insults ( SCRUB, REKT, U TRYING?, GIT GUD, and a lot more that I can't even put on smashboards) even if they get outright destroyed. It's down right stupid.

So is there any particular reason that the Ness Community is so much more cancerous than anyone else?
That's racist.

On a more serious note, I'm a former Ness secondary, and I don't think it's directly caused by the character. It seems like people who are either bad or have really cheap playstyles (and I mean this objectively) tend to give off more hate, and when you're a Ness main, PK fire + dthrow will automatically make you a cheap player. Personally, I haven't seen any character that specifically gives more hate than others, but this explanation seems right enough.

Last edited:

Nahric

Smash Rookie
That's racist.

On a more serious note, I'm a former Ness secondary, and I don't think it's directly caused by the character. It seems like people who are either bad or have really cheap playstyles (and I mean this objectively) tend to give off more hate, and when you're a Ness main, PK fire + dthrow will automatically make you a cheap player. Personally, I haven't seen any character that specifically gives more hate than others, but this explanation seems right enough.
Still, there has to be some reason that Ness attracts so many disrespectful players (and not the fun kind)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
how do i deal with ness's annoying airdodge
Go to a stage with no Z-axis (flat stages like Duck Hunt, Omega Pac Land, etc.). As Horatio says above, it reduces the airdodge time by 6 frames.

I don't think there's any real way to deal with it otherwise, though; just deal with it like with every other airdodge. Use long lasting moves, try to get him when he's landing, etc.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Go to a stage with no Z-axis (flat stages like Duck Hunt, Omega Pac Land, etc.). As Horatio says above, it reduces the airdodge time by 6 frames.

I don't think there's any real way to deal with it otherwise, though; just deal with it like with every other airdodge. Use long lasting moves, try to get him when he's landing, etc.
When does ness go in the z axis in the air dodge

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I haven't played Ness in such a long time. Thinking of getting back into him now that my mindset is less horrible. Anyway, I've been having some trouble in neutral with Ness. What should I be doing? What is my goal as Ness? Against characters with a lead or who are content to play keepaway, I end up getting flustered. Mewtwo and Cloud in particular give me grief. I tend to think of Ness as a turtling character with excellent responses out of shield, but not so sure on how he handles aggression.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Is this a true footstool combo set-up? I feel that the first Up air footstool is techable and the nair is DI dependent.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Speaking of footstools is Footstool into PKT2 a true combo? I did a accidental footstool on someone after a rising up air and tech chased them with PKT2 without really even thinking about what I was doing. Is it a all or nothing tech chase read or true if your fast enough?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I haven't played Ness in such a long time. Thinking of getting back into him now that my mindset is less horrible. Anyway, I've been having some trouble in neutral with Ness. What should I be doing? What is my goal as Ness? Against characters with a lead or who are content to play keepaway, I end up getting flustered. Mewtwo and Cloud in particular give me grief. I tend to think of Ness as a turtling character with excellent responses out of shield, but not so sure on how he handles aggression.
Characters who run off a lot tend to give Ness trouble. Characters who often run off tend to not do so good up close against Ness, unless they have swords. So going up a character like Cloud, you need to bait his attacks. From my experiences, they use nair as their main aerial attack, dair if you're under them and trying to chase them while they're in the air, and uair if you're above them. Cloud's smash attacks look safe, too. So if they're going for an f-smash, chances are they'll roll away or run away after using it, so you're probably better off not going in for a grab, but a dash attack, which can lead into fair for Ness. Against characters with swords, you have to bait them into using their attacks first. If Cloud is at a distance and charging his Limit, think about where is only options of escape are. Chances are he'll try to jump over you or run by you only to continue charging on the other side of the stage. If that's the case, don't go in full on attack. See how he reacts. If he likes to block when you get close, try a grab. If he jumps over you, consider using fair, nair, or uair. Space yourself while doing this, too.

Mewtwo is a character I also have a hard time against, but you can't afford to get flustered when fighting either one of these characters. Mewtwo's I've faced would shoot Shadow Ball and try to go in for a grab or dash attack afterwards. They run off a lot, too, which, again, is something Ness has trouble against. Of course if you have the lead, then they have no choice but to get close, unless you're in For Glory, then they'll time you out. I'd suggest looking up Abadango vs any character who has to approach. Characters like Mario, Ike, Sheik, or if possible, even Ness. It just helps to get an idea of how you can deal with characters who run off. Just don't lose your composure. Part of your losses has to do with getting upset or nervous.

Is this a true footstool combo set-up? I feel that the first Up air footstool is techable and the nair is DI dependent.
From the looks of it, I don't think Mega Man had enough time to tech based on how close he was to the ground. Even if it is, if this is done to an actual player, I don't think they'd be expecting it in time to tech unless that's all you were going for most of the match.

Speaking of footstools is Footstool into PKT2 a true combo? I did a accidental footstool on someone after a rising up air and tech chased them with PKT2 without really even thinking about what I was doing. Is it a all or nothing tech chase read or true if your fast enough?
Probably depends on where you footstooled. If on the ground, chances are it's not a true combo. In the air, possibly, since characters seem to go into a falling animation state and aren't able to wiggle out of it immediately.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ayo,

They actually go into the 4th dimension when they airdodge. I don't know how good their dodges are, but I'd think Robot's uair might be able to deal with it. By the way, I like your R.O.B.

Uffe

Smash Hero

They probably hate Corrin and think you should be winning with him because he beats Ness. Stop playing For Glory, though. There are lot of Scheißkerl on their.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I sound stupid, but I know Ness can recover twice if he hits a wall, but I can't do it. How does it work. :p

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
You hit up b within a few frames after hitting a wall; you have until he free-falls to do so.

If you are not already there, join the Ness Discord, they can answer all your questions and more there. Search for smashcords, click smash 4, then locate Ness and you are there.

Shleee

Smash Rookie
So happy this thread exists! So I started playing a few months ago when I heard ultimate was coming out, but I’ve practiced a whole lot and gotten pretty decent but there are some things I’m struggling with and haven’t been able to find many answers on because they’re really specific.

I’m having trouble with some particular match ups too. Obviously Marths, lucinas and cloud are a problem but I at least know the strategy but these I don’t even know what my objective should be.

Yoshi: I’m not sure what my openings are because all his moves seem to have very little end lag and I can’t get a grab when he approaches with short hop Aireals even if I shield because he just goes straight into jab and puts me under a lot of shield pressure.

Bowser junior: don’t know how to deal with the disjointed aireal strings because Nair doesn’t help me get out and on the ground the frame traps with the explosive and really strong smash moves are hard to deal with because it puts so much pressure on my shield and the knock back makes it tricky to get a grab.

Zelda & good Pauletena players: I don’t know why I can’t deal with this character. I don’t know how to deal with diamond reflect spam or the ground or out of combos. I’m not a pk fire spammer but I can’t even attack or grab when players spam this move and I feel so silly for losing to bad players who are just spamming this and smash moves. I’m not terrible at reading the teleport move but it’s still extremely annoying to deal with. This one is probably my weakest personal match up I’ll lose to even bad Zelda players. Pauletena isn’t as bad but I find good Pauletena players really tricky because if their spacing and baiting game is good they get so much off a punish and it’s hard to get in.

Bowser and DK: Even when not very good players over commit and are constantly spamming laggy attacks I feel like I can’t get in for the punish on reaction or sometimes even on prediction. I try to out space them most of the time and sometimes it works but I play pretty aggro and I feel like it works against me with the heavies. Also DK in particular is hard to space out because of his grab range. Even if I combo them to s*** it only takes a couple reads with rage to kill me and they both get so much off a grab and if spaced right, I can’t get in for a punish without being hit with a jab or tilt. Bowser I particularly get bodied because my shield is always getting broken. I know I have to respect down b, but I feel like when I try to get close enough to punish I just have to make one mistake and the stock is gone. Shield usually gets broken, spot dodge is usually too short to deal with ground attacks from most heavies, and rolling is well... rolling.

Fox and Falco: I mix up my recovery a lot with psi magnet, low jumps, and jump cancel pk thunder but decent Falco players still spike me a lot, and I have trouble with both characters due to their typical aggression and speed. With Fox I’ll usually try to bait a jab and punish from behind and jab and Nair a lot to avoid the grab but typically if they get one grab I have a very hard time getting back down and usually the stock is gone if I get grabbed even at mid percents.

Thanks so much for making this thread I know this is a lot but I appreciate your help! If anyone wants to play online my username is Sheepsheepsheeps I’m looking for new people to play with that might be able to give me tips about habits and what not.

Top Bottom