• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Have a Question? We'll give you a "Hint" - Ness Question/Answer Thread (CHECK HERE)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

Ness Question and Answer Thread (soon to be an FAQ thread)
---
Do you have any questions about the PK kid from Onett? Well, we'll give you a little "hint": This thread is for any questions at all regarding Ness. These questions can be just about anything, but please keep in mind the questions that should be asked here are questions that pertain to Ness in Smash (preferably Smash 4, but if we're comparing him to previous games that's also fine.) For general Earthbound questions or things like that, you can discuss them in the social thread found here.

In the post bellow, I'll create an FAQ guide of the questions that are asked most often as the game is released and more info is found. Don't be shy! Chances are your question is also the question a lot of other people have!

---
But Yink...why'd you put a "Check Here" in the title?...I put that there because if you're thinking of asking a question by posting a thread, before you do so you should check here. This way, we won't get too many clutters of threads asking questions that have already been answered. Thank you for your cooperation!

Last edited:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Are there any videos showcasing Ness' custom special moves out there yet? I know it hasn't even been a week since the game came out, but my searches have come up with nothing. I'm curious at this point to see exactly how they behave in a match, which will provide extra information beyond the descriptions we've seen so far.

Also, I've been hearing snippets that Ness' dash attack has slightly longer reach in Smash 4 compared to previous games. Is that true? And is it any faster or slower than before?

Arcade

Smash Ace
Are there any videos showcasing Ness' custom special moves out there yet? I know it hasn't even been a week since the game came out, but my searches have come up with nothing. I'm curious at this point to see exactly how they behave in a match, which will provide extra information beyond the descriptions we've seen so far.

Also, I've been hearing snippets that Ness' dash attack has slightly longer reach in Smash 4 compared to previous games. Is that true? And is it any faster or slower than before?
In Melee dash attack had crazy range on the third hit, which was nerfed in Brawl. As for Smash 4 I don't remember it standing out as being very different from Brawl the very few times I've actually seen someone use it.

As for custom specials JoeInky on NeoGAF has screens and descriptions, general damage/knockback estimates, and ideas how they could be used. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129810755#post129810755

Last edited:

Arcade

Smash Ace
Looks the same as Brawl, sadly. But I suppose you could hit someone on the ledge if they have already used their ledge invincibility. They jump from the ledge, you nair them, by the time they are able to reach the ledge again you have a charged PK Flash waiting. It's a possibility. (For the record, I don't have the game yet.)

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1

Arcade

Smash Ace
Oh, I see. I thought by "descriptions" you meant just the in-game description translated from Japanese. Didn't know Joe posted here too.

Wombo194

Smash Rookie
Nyah, why is PK Flash destined to be garbage?
At least there's PK Ice and the rising PK flash for custom moves. The rising pk flash apparently is pretty good and instant, and I remember PK ice being a lot faster, though still difficult to land.

ilysm

sleepy
Hey, is there a reason why I'm not seeing many aerial PK Fires in play for the 3DS demo? It doesn't seem like anybody's doing shorthop-PK fire at all, just using it grounded or in the air to cover their way back to the stage after a small launch. Is the aerial version bad now? Something I'm not noticing? :/

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
How is he against other characters? Is he still low tier? How are his aerials and his grabs?

Arcade

Smash Ace
I'm not 100% sure exactly what you're asking, but it's worth mentioning that it no longer vanishes if it hits the opponent right after leaving Ness, meaning it's harder to gimp.
Do you have any video of this? I've heard it both ways from multiple people now.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any video of this? I've heard it both ways from multiple people now.
Nope! I don't have the game so I'm operating off of word of mouth as well, so apologies if I ended up spreading misinformation. I guess if there are conflicting reports I can only hope it's true.

FoodPoisoning

Smash Rookie
I would like to know if they changed his PK Thunder 2, Down Aerial, Up Smash and Down Smash in any aspect(making it faster, weaker, with better range...).

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Darn, a double post.

Only an idiot such as myself would make such a blunder...

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Look at this way, it pretty much mirrors its viability from Earthbound, haha.
Kirby's Hammer Flip in Super Star is his most worthless hammer attack yet in Smash Bros it works. Jigglypuff's Pound is very worthless in Pokemon yet in Smash Bros it has uses. Wish the default PK Flash in Smash Bros. was usable.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Kirby's Hammer Flip in Super Star is his most worthless hammer attack yet in Smash Bros it works. Jigglypuff's Pound is very worthless in Pokemon yet in Smash Bros it has uses. Wish the default PK Flash in Smash Bros. was usable.
You're absolutely right. It was stupid of me to even make such a comparison. It's only natural that a lowly worm like me would make such an egregious error in logic.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
You're absolutely right. It was stupid of me to even make such a comparison. It's only natural that a lowly worm like me would make such an egregious error in logic.
#commonmistakes
But PK Flash Is best when used for edgeguards. It is still pretty unpractical ( as strong as it may be ).

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sup Q&A, got some Q's for ya:

Does anyone here happen to know if Ness' PSI Magnet can absorb Shulk's beam-portioned attacks?
I'd like that he can so that :4ness: VS :4shulk: would be an interesting MU, & for :4ness:+:4shulk: in Team Battles to have great synergy healing Ness.:shades:

Bonus question best answered in the near or distant future:

What are all of the projectiles / attacks that Ness' PSI Magnet can absorb?

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Mostly energy based projectiles, like Samus' Charge Beam , but it can't absorb things like Link's arrows.
May I get a list of everything PSI Magnet can absorb?;)

That question is another in-the-near-future question since it requires some time to test every energy-based, elemental, or long-ranged attack. And I'm perfectly okay with that.

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
well, psi-magnet states that it absorbs energy-based projectiles, so it shouldn't absorb the monado-beam

you can absorb zelda's side-b (flame-explosion) , but not mario's fsmash with that flame explosion, so it shouldn't work on the monado beam either

but it might work, just speculation

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Yes, don't exaggerate please, we are all human ( maybe not ) and we make mistakes.
#commonmistakes
But PK Flash Is best when used for edgeguards. It is still pretty unpractical ( as strong as it may be ).
With PK Thunder, N-Air, F-Air, Yoyos, and D-Air around, PK Flash becomes very worthless. It's a miracle if it even hits, yet alone leave the stage to hit someone.

Last edited:

Arcade

Smash Ace
Yes, don't exaggerate please, we are all human ( maybe not ) and we make mistakes.
I'm sure it's just a reference to Danganronpa 2. The character in his avatar often said things like that. (This isn't a spoiler)

Last edited:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Just a random question that could theoretically be ness-specific: has anyone gotten to the task of acquiring frame data for this game? I wanna see how much faster certain moves are than previous games (I swear PK Flash and PKT are so much quicker now).

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm impress Ness forum, you guys have your place really well organize and set up already. Very impressive, makes me wish I played Ness.

Is this common knowledge?

Last edited:

McCadi

Smash Rookie
I'm impress Ness forum, you guys have your place really well organize and set up already. Very impressive, makes me wish I played Ness.

Is this common knowledge?
I didn't know this...oh my gosh YES. does this mean we can do a 360 around any floating stage? Or infinitely PKT2 under final destination?

EDIT: Maybe it can be used to bounce off stage floor, and can be spammed using this mechanic?

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
mlg-360-no-scope-freefall-Ness confirmed
and the MOST IMPORTANT thing ... ness is able to go under fd now HYYYPE

ok sry, won't happen again, it's awesome, but the infinite stall will probadly get banned
you can actually recover against the wall, should boost our recovery by a lot on some stages, and gives you multiple attempts, so it is even harder to punish

Mr. Pinecone

Smash Rookie
It only seems to work once? That, or I'm really messing up the timing the second time you hit the wall lol. I've made severall attempts but never been able to do it a second time.

McCadi

Smash Rookie
mlg-360-no-scope-freefall-Ness confirmed
and the MOST IMPORTANT thing ... ness is able to go under fd now HYYYPE

ok sry, won't happen again, it's awesome, but the infinite stall will probadly get banned
you can actually recover against the wall, should boost our recovery by a lot on some stages, and gives you multiple attempts, so it is even harder to punish

It only seems to work once? That, or I'm really messing up the timing the second time you hit the wall lol. I've made severall attempts but never been able to do it a second time.
Haha yes, and dude even if it can only be done once this should put ness higher on the tier list

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Is Ness still subject to the stupid grab release glitch that screwed him over in brawl?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Is Ness still subject to the stupid grab release glitch that screwed him over in brawl?
Sadly there's a real possibility that yes they could still be in as Wario still suffers from grab releases. I'm sure in less then a week time you will see the answer here on the Ness boards.

ilysm

sleepy
So, Smash 4 owners, is PK Freeze viable at all? I wouldn't be sure but for how useless everyone seems to think PK Flash is. Any combo potential? Setups? Edgeguarding? Or is it just garbagde?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I don't own Smash 4 yet, but I do have some questions...

1: Can Ness still do his PKF Lag Cancel to cancel the terrible landing lag?

2: F-Smash's damage & knockback, is it still based on position? As in, the tip of the bat is still the strongest part?

3: With his regular PKT, is tailwhipping with it still effective? Also, I heard the projectile itself can actually KO now, is that true?

4: What are Ness' best/reliable KO moves, and did which got buffed/nerfed from Brawl? (Not taking the "rage" effect into account)

5: With PKT2, does the distance still get reduced upon hitting someone with it? Also, when rebounding off of a wall, does PKT come out again like immediately after you rebound for a 2nd chance to recover? Is PKT2 still laggy as well (as in getting shielded will have you punished badly)?

6: How much is the healing ratio compared to the damage that a projectile would normally do in this game? Is it still the same as it was in Brawl?

7: Is it possible to do a Jab Lock setup? I heard you can only "jab reset" once, so is it possible to Jab a knocked down opponent once and then try to follow up with a charged F-Smash?

Sorry for asking so many questions, haha.

Top Bottom