• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Have a Question? We'll give you a "Hint" - Ness Question/Answer Thread (CHECK HERE)

Timmy Nguyen

Smash Rookie
Just some questions, I'm sorry if i don't know the terminology, I am new here

1. After I Pk fire and try to grab the opponent, they tend to shield or roll out, is there anyway to punish barrier or rolls?
2. How do i deal with Shiek and Mega Man?

joniho

Smash Cadet
1. After I Pk fire and try to grab the opponent, they tend to shield or roll out, is there anyway to punish barrier or rolls?
Do you mean that they shield before your PK Fire erupts? There's no real followup to opponents who can anticipate a PK Fire and shield in time. If you mean that they shield after PK Fire Erupts, that means they're easy picking for a dash grab.

As for rolling out of a PK Fire, you could easily punish with another PK Fire if they roll away from you. (I don't think they can roll toward you after being engulfed in fire). Another opponent response is using a counter (Little Mac's comes to mind) or jabbing through the fire, preventing a grab.

2. How do i deal with Shiek and Mega Man?
For Sheik, punish any needle charging with PK Thunder at range. Ness's Nair comes out incredibly fast and can beat out most of Sheik's aerials. A lot of Sheik's ground game is heavily punishable with a grab and followup.

For Megaman, reflect everything with your bat.

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Thunder juggling, is it better to cancel the move or pkt2 into the opponent?

ottobot

Smash Cadet
When it comes to Thunder juggling, is it better to cancel the move or pkt2 into the opponent?
generally i cancel as pkt2 is easy for the opponent to predict and react to, but once the opponent gets into percents where pkt2 KOs switch tactics to using pkt2 and trying to go for the early kill

Yaargh!

Smash Rookie
Does PSI Magnet consider Greninja's Water Shurikens and/or Megaman's jab shots energy projectiles or physical ones?

joniho

Smash Cadet
Does PSI Magnet consider Greninja's Water Shurikens and/or Megaman's jab shots energy projectiles or physical ones?
Greninja's Water Shuriken: cannot be absorbed
Mega Man's lemons: can be absorbed

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Greninja's Water Shuriken: cannot be absorbed
Mega Man's lemons: can be absorbed
WE CAN ABSORB LEMONS?! YESSSSSSSS!!!
Does anyone know how bat interacts with leaves while they spin around Megaman?
Also, can we absorb or bat Megaman's other moves with success?

joniho

Smash Cadet
WE CAN ABSORB LEMONS?! YESSSSSSSS!!!
Does anyone know how bat interacts with leaves while they spin around Megaman?
Also, can we absorb or bat Megaman's other moves with success?
Haven't tested with Leaf Shield, but you can reflect Metal Blade and Crash Bomb (lol). Cannot absorb.

Last edited:

Over9000chainz

Smash Rookie
I'm new to Ness and I didn't wanna make a new thread, so I'll just post here. I have a couple of things to ask about.

1. Is there any sort of stick maneuver that is good for hitting PK Thunder on yourself to recover? I haven't gotten too used to the XL circlepad (or the 3DS in general, all I played was Pokemon) and 50% of the time I either miss it or land right into a Fsmash because I missed the ledge.
  2. Are there any guaranteed combos? So far I noticed Dash Attack into Fair and Dthrow into Fair but that's all I can really get off consistently.
  3. What are the worst matchups?
  4. What are the best custom moves?
for "worst matchups" I constantly see Rosalina and Sheik popping up, but I'd like to know as much as I can.

Fachewachewa

Smash Rookie
1. Well, I usually do a circle (well, 3/4) with the stick, not too fast. It's the easiest way to do a PKT2, but it sends you at 45°. Other angles are more tricky. I'd say go in training mode, jump offstage, and try to go for the ledge from different positions.
2. I don't think so... Maybe Fair > Fair at low percent. Otherwise you'll have to adapt to your opponent's VI / DI
3.There's actually a thread about this here http:// smashboards.com/threads/difficult-matchups.371539
4. Lucas' ones can be good, I don't really like them, but his PK thunder can go through opponents, so... better recovery. There's also a rising PK flash that seems fun, but I haven't unlocked it yet.

Last edited:

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Does reflecting projectiles with the bat affect damage/knockback, like other reflectors do?

Fachewachewa

Smash Rookie
I think it does damage*2 (seen in a thread about reflectors and counter), I guess knockback is higher too as I've seen link's arrow do a lot of knockback when reflected.

Tikao

Smash Ace
higher damage always means higher knockback, unless the knockback (growth) gets decreased as well (shulk will probadly have that with some of his monado arts)

but the more important question : can ness reflect villager's tree?

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Once it's chopped and falling down, yes, it's a projectile like any other.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
One additional feature that the bat reflecting has in this game: The projectile is sped up if you hit it with the bat. In other games, it would go the same speed once reflected, but NOW it essentially doubles the speed. You can see this easily with Dr. Mario's pills.

And I found out the other day that we can reflect Megaman's FSmash. xD

Yaargh!

Smash Rookie
Can PSI Magnet absorb Robin's Thoron? I know it's obviously an energy projectile but something about it doesn't look like it could be absorbed.

Also, what happens if you can absorb it? Does it dissapear completely like everything else or does it go through but loses it's hotbox or something?

I'm also curious about what would happen if you tried to reflect it...

Meccs

@Meccs_
Just some questions, I'm sorry if i don't know the terminology, I am new here

If they roll out slow or shield, you should be able to grab them- you should usually be rushing in for a grab anyways unless you think you can Fsmash or want to change it up with dash attack
If they roll out fast... dash attack still has a solid chance of reaching. I suppose you could also follow up with a PKT.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys a question.
I dont understand how can i done the PK fire cancel and the second PK thunder when i hit a wall.
Someone can help me?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
When you bounce off the wall, input upB the instant after you bounce off the wall. You can do that by holding up and spamming B while in the PKT2 that you directed at the wall.

For PK Fire Cancel, I don't know what you mean.

If you mean when you run off the ledge, use pk-fire, and it doesn't come out but ness still says the name of it, it's all about the timing.
If there's some other cancel, I don't know about it.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Neat, practicing it now.
edit: Ok got it lol. Timing is not that hard.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
While I wasn't really a Ness main in the past, I'm starting to really like him in this iteration. As much as I liked EB, the only thing that stopped me from maining him previously was he always had some random BS against him. That seems to be less so this time around. Now that that's outta the way:

1.What's Ness' neutral game consist of? Right now, I currently do FAir(Forgive me if that's bad. I'm a Marth Main from Brawl. :p), varying NAirs(SHFF, DJ NAirs(Is that right?) with the occasional PK Fire and Dash Attack.
1b. To add to that, is Pivot FTilt worth it for Ness?
2. ...Um.....What do against :4yoshi:?

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
1. SHFF FAir and Nair, PK Fire, and Dash Attack, yeah.

2. That's the question every non-Yoshi main is asking right now. Nair and Dair can be helpful to punish rolls. I've found myself using Nair a lot against Yoshi, more so than other matchups. Just throwing it out constantly.

Last edited:

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
1. Along with what Mecks said, spacing with bair approaches are good too. Sweet spot bair will push the opponent back making it harder for them to punish you.

Try not to fight him in the air unless you're certain that you can out prioritize him, as his aerials can beat out ness's at times. Also, this is a matter of preference, but for yoshi dairs, I would usually shield a little, then get hit and DI out. Reason being, shielding the whole thing will drop your shield significantly.
Don't bother reflecting the eggs in this game, since they fly at a different trajectory (in brawl they will fly in the same way they were shot at for the most part).
Imo, PK Thunder is your best friend in this match up. It is fairly easy to juggle them.
Always watch out for down-b, and punish accordingly.
Hard to do, but if you see a yoshi not sweet spotting the ledge when recovering, you can grab him and grab release off the edge, which will in most cases result to their death, especially if you follow up with aerials.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've been having trouble making it back down to the stage when launched up versus some characters with good air or ground-to-air coverage. Does anyone have tips on how to reliably avoid juggles or unnecessary damage when trying to return to the ground from above? I feel like DAir isn't reliable or long-ranged enough and some times I don't want to AirDodge or NAir and put myself in a bad situation.

RoosterHelmet

Smash Rookie
I've seen people talk about Ness being able to PK Thunder one more time after bouncing off a wall, but every time I've attempted, I just go into freefall. Am I doing something wrong?

Meccs

@Meccs_
press b right as you hit the wall or a split second after. its infinitely harder online, rather easy offline.

I have the same problem, Eagle. I think FFFair is our best option most of the time.

Last edited:

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
Hard to do, but if you see a yoshi not sweet spotting the ledge when recovering, you can grab him and grab release off the edge, which will in most cases result to their death, especially if you follow up with aerials.

YES. THIS IS EXCELLENT.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
No idea if this was possible in Brawl, I didn't use Ness too much.

Ness ledge trick

I know Pk fire canceling at the ledge was possible, but were you able to stop it into PKT? Either way, the interesting part is when you hit the ledge at a bit of a diagonal angle, it shoots you straight up, and as you can see this has some edge guard potential. This only works on FD, and any Omega stage it seems, although if you're fast it's possible on Yoshi's Island by holding down to ignore the ledge grab.

PK Fire Ledge Cancel->PKT2 into the ledge

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
you can pretty much do the same without the pk-fire cancel, as long so you don't ledge cancel the up-b
Actually PKT would bboost, taking you away from the ledge. It is possible to run off then activate PKT, but I'm not sure if you'd be at the right position, or if you'd grab the ledge then. Either way, I feel the PKF cancel helps set this up real well, and is a seemingly reliable way to position yourself in the necessary way.

I don't believe it's possible off the right ledge, but that may just be me.

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
Actually PKT would bboost, taking you away from the ledge. It is possible to run off then activate PKT, but I'm not sure if you'd be at the right position, or if you'd grab the ledge then. Either way, I feel the PKF cancel helps set this up real well, and is a seemingly reliable way to position yourself in the necessary way.

I don't believe it's possible off the right ledge, but that may just be me.
"as long so you don't ledge cancel the up-b" ledge cancling the pk fire prevents the possibility of ledge cancling the up-b, since you do the up-b input after the pkf input

alternatively you just use the up-b at the same time frame without cancling the pk fire by just running of the ledge, you input the up-b at the exact time, when it won't ledge cancel it anymore, so it ends up at the same timeframe it would with using the pk-fire cancel

i mean, if you like ness shouting pk-fire, then use the cancel,but it is way easier to just run off without cancling up-b

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
note: be careful with the timing if you upb without fire cancelling because if you ledge boost the upb (when you upb as you go off the ledge, you gain horizontal momentum) you will run into pk thunder faster and the angle sends you under the stage unlike brawl

Top Bottom