• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HASLFest 4 (Melee/PM/WiiU) - 01/17/2015 - Huntsville, AL

moogle

Smash Ace

Tournament Threads:
http://smashboards.com/threads/377664/
http://facebook.com/events/593639074115850/

Number of Entrants:
Melee - 50
PM - 56
Wii U - 53

Challonge Brackets:
Melee - http://challonge.com/haslmelee17jan15
PM - http://challonge.com/haslpm17jan15
Wii U - http://challonge.com/haslsm4sh17jan15

YouTube Playlists:
Melee - http://bit.ly/haslfest4-melee
PM - http://bit.ly/haslfest4-pm
Wii U - http://bit.ly/haslfest4-wiiu

HASLFest 4 (Melee)
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Ninkendo64
$150.00
2nd
Zylo
$75.00
3rd
Zoma
$25.00
4th
RAM
5th
Spade
5th
Bob
7th
Reckoner
7th
Kirito
9th
Smoof
9th
Alex Hayden

HASLFest 4 (Project M)
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Reflex
$168.00
2nd
NinKenDo64
$84.00
3rd
Spade
$28.00
4th
ubik
5th
RAM
5th
Jake the Preacher
7th
Giga Chicken
7th
power
9th
snugz
9th
Kazuya

HASLFest 4 (Smash Wii U)
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Reflex
$159.00
2nd
Spade
$79.50
3rd
DanGR
$26.50
4th
PSGeorgeTHPS
5th
Mahgnittoc
5th
Paul
7th
Myk da Beast
7th
Will_
9th
Pudd
9th
TPSaki

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Great tournament, I had a blast :) HASL is definitely the best tournament experience I've seen in AL.

Where are all my other fox mains? ;(

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fantastic tournament. They just keep getting better and better!

Now as for my performance, I'll have to step it up for the next tournament and reclaim my title. I'm coming after you @ Keys1281 Keys1281 & @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder . I will make you switch to Wario next time.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Really happy with the turnout of this event, could have only been better with more time, more people, and pools tbh. Maybe free drinks

Shoutouts to
- @ Mahgnittoc Mahgnittoc for getting banned from stream, figuratively, for bringing the Bama special. Also for prioritizing a game Balloon over actual money.
- @ Keys1281 Keys1281 (Spade) for bringing in the work on all 3 games. Keep wanting to sleep on you as a player since I haven't personally seen results from you outside of the Auburn Brawl tournament years ago. But with how fast you're bringing in the experience and how far you progress in every bracket you're there to stay for...I have no doubt in my mind you're one of the states best players (from the higher half of the pool).
- @ Zylo Zylo For bringing the Tuscaloosa crew and taking names in Melee. Too bad Joot and Moogle weren't there though, sure you would have loved the experience and had more to prove about your placement on the PR.
- @ NinKenDo64 NinKenDo64 Nice seeing ya, I was pretty salt during the set and not really playing all too great because I was pretty hung up about losing my 3rd Consecutive tournament set to a Rosalina. Had no answers, or no progress and it was eating me up a lot. But GGs man, hope you get more time to try and enjoy Smash 4 a bit. You're clearly a great contender in the other games and feel you'd do great in S4. I'm sure I'll see ya around if you're done wrecking GA and wanting to stay in state for a few tournaments in the next few months.
- @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder Thanks for stopping by over the Con, really wanted to see how you'd do against the Huntsville gang. Not gonna lie I was hoping the scores would be a bit closer but it still seems that at the moment you're still a good leap ahead of us. Anything you'd recommend? I mean playing the game more is a big one, but is that all we have to do to make that gap shorter?
- @ GeorgeTHPS GeorgeTHPS and the PS crew, Next HASL if you guys all come down again. Huntsville vs PS crew battle needs to happen. Didn't know you guys rolled that deep and looking forward to playing you guys at the PS event.
- @ Will_ Will_ K so of course I've got a lot of feels for this one. GREAT playing with you again always nice seeing you and Paul do work at events despite really having time to practice. I'm sure I've had my fair share of events where I ultimately meet my demise since the states Brawl Phase. But letting you know now I've went 1-2 with big bad kong and crazy doctor for the last event of this year. Doing the homework, gonna blow him up so don't feel too bad about next months results. And this will all be done in a scrubs gear. Be ready

Lemmy, wherever you are shoutouts to you for being the new dream man. Challenging top players to MMs, studying guides and gameplay from others who also use your characters. You're doing what most players should be, and your results are getting better and better. Make sure no one sleeps on you during these events man, and I'm looking forward to the day you reach top 9 in results consecutively. Keep it up dood

ubik

Smash Rookie
Really well-run tournament! This was my first HASL, but it'll definitely not be the last. I had a great time playing PM with new people. Shoutouts to @ NinKenDo64 NinKenDo64 and @ RAM RAM to knocking me out with their respective mario bros. lol. Can't wait until next time!

DjTieske

Smash Rookie
This was the best HASL yet! Had a blast, and loved the way commentary was setup this time. Shame I wasn't able to stick around to see smash 4.

powergamer

Smash Apprentice
yo Nick Hanson was a great TO and HASL was really great, people from the AU crew will probably be back again in a month or two

@ Zylo Zylo i got you

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
The tournament was really hype and I can't wait for the next one! I enjoyed getting to commentate Smash 4 on the stream and playing friendlies with everyone.

HsvASL

Smash Cadet
Thank you to everyone who attended! The HASL staff had a great time hosting the event and we all hope you enjoyed the tournament. VODs are currently being clipped and will be available on our Twitch and YouTube.

We're already planning our next TWO tournaments. We'll have our next monthly on February 21st! Then in March we'll be partnering with ChargerCon and hosting our March monthly there! ChargerCon will also have SEVERAL other gaming events so it's going to be big!

February will feature 3 tournaments for three separate smash games. We'll be announcing which games and what formats very soon on our Facebook, Twitter, TourneyLocator and of course SmashBoards!

Also! The HASL ChargerCon event will be a 1.5 day event! We can't give too many details - but we will be doing stuff that Friday night and ALL DAY Saturday! So be on the look out for information on that as well.

Seriously - thanks again for your support! We really appreciate everything. We're going to be working as hard as we can to make our next event even better! Wait until you see the exclusive button for the next event!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
- @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder Thanks for stopping by over the Con, really wanted to see how you'd do against the Huntsville gang. Not gonna lie I was hoping the scores would be a bit closer but it still seems that at the moment you're still a good leap ahead of us. Anything you'd recommend? I mean playing the game more is a big one, but is that all we have to do to make that gap shorter?
I feel like people need to lab it up to minimize risk and maximize reward. Opponents were getting back to the stage pretty reliably; some characters need to ledgeguard rather than go offstage. Finding tools with enough active frames to cover multiple ledge options helps a lot. Stuff like that. Missed opportunities left and right.

It sounds simple on paper, but people should be doing more for this: The game is about dealing damage and not taking damage. Finding ways to make those two happen together reliably can vary greatly from character to character, but it is key to figure that out so that you don't lose to a lack of damage output even if you're outplaying them in neutral.

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Appreciate the info, I tried utilizing the ledge trap over off stage yesterday but had 0 luck whatsoever. I'm sure I need to learn how to trump as well but this is going to take a lot of work on my end.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Appreciate the info, I tried utilizing the ledge trap over off stage yesterday but had 0 luck whatsoever. I'm sure I need to learn how to trump as well but this is going to take a lot of work on my end.
Here's an example--

http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

Most ledge options are buffered so as to avoid trumping (it is impossible to trump someone who buffers a Ledge Jump/Attack/Roll), so you can generally get used to certain timings. Ledge Jump is usually vulnerable at about Frame 12 (right when the opponent's hands leave the edge), Ledge Attack is usually vulnerable at about Frame 22 (right before the attack comes out, period), and Ledge Climb is usually vulnerable at about Frame 32.

Marth's N-Air hits on Frame 5-6, then 15-21. Since there is a 9-frame gap between swings, you could probably use this to cover Jump/Attack or Attack/Climb, and in the event that you don't, you land and defend or punish a Ledge Roll.

It's little things like that that help you get reliable damage and ledge pressure.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Here's an example--

http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

Most ledge options are buffered so as to avoid trumping (it is impossible to trump someone who buffers a Ledge Jump/Attack/Roll), so you can generally get used to certain timings. Ledge Jump is usually vulnerable at about Frame 12 (right when the opponent's hands leave the edge), Ledge Attack is usually vulnerable at about Frame 22 (right before the attack comes out, period), and Ledge Climb is usually vulnerable at about Frame 32.

Marth's N-Air hits on Frame 5-6, then 15-21. Since there is a 9-frame gap between swings, you could probably use this to cover Jump/Attack or Attack/Climb, and in the event that you don't, you land and defend or punish a Ledge Roll.

It's little things like that that help you get reliable damage and ledge pressure.
Once again, thank you. Adding it to my gameplay, will hope to show SOME results by the next time we meet.

Russ needs to not be bad and start attending, and I'd like to fight Moogle in Smash 4 to get some more Sheik practice in. Character is dumb but feel can be beatable.

Top Bottom