• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has the media ever been liberal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
The question is:

Have mainstream media news sources even been anything but conservative?

I argue no.

Something different for this one--I typed up a paper for this (not for you guys, but for a class I took a while back). So, if the attachment works, click on it and read away. If not, I can paste the whole thing here.

Happy debating. :)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Uhh what? The media is often considered liberal ("the liberal media"). Take the election with Obama. You would be really hard pressed to find much of the media not praising him as the next messiah, whereas McCain got a lot of flak and was vilified as being old and decrepit (both very, very accurate).

Point is the media is very liberal in the political spectrum sense. Most journalists are known democrats/left-wingers, whereas CNN and FauxNews usually have a greater concentration of Neo-Conservatives, who I would barely consider conservative.

D

Deleted member

Obama is just an excellent public speaker and was the obvious choice for everyone. I wouldn't classify the media as liberal just because he was the clear choice last November.

Although, I'd be willing to say, quite naively of course, that print media is a lot more liberal than the conservative counterpart. I don't really feel American conservatives read a whole lot. I think moving pictures and colourful diagrams are more their thing, which is why the myriad of local cable stations in America are more in tune to their demographic.

For the most part, though, media tries to be objective.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Obama is just an excellent public speaker and was the obvious choice for everyone. I wouldn't classify the media as liberal just because he was the clear choice last November.

Although, I'd be willing to say, quite naively of course, that print media is a lot more liberal than the conservative counterpart. I don't really feel American conservatives read a whole lot. I think moving pictures and colourful diagrams are more their thing, which is why the myriad of local cable stations in America are more in tune to their demographic.

For the most part, though, media tries to be objective.
And Canada is nothing but polar bears and moose. See, I can generalize ignorantly too.

D

Deleted member

So sue me. Even your own news networks are broadcasting video clips of the outliers who cry out "Heil Hitler" to a Israeli Jew defending health care reform. These morons are constantly permeating the North American border, and paint an incredibly bad picture of the United States. And guess what? They're undeniably conservative. Misinformation is just simply rampant.

Do you know how many video clips of "so what does health care reform really MEAN?!" I have to sift through before I get to actual town hall debates, interviews, speeches, etc? It just does not end. I already know what it means, but apparently a lot of people in the States came to the program a little late in the game. "Previously on: HEALTH CARE REFORM...FOR ALL YOU STUBBORN IDIOTS WHO AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION..."

My family is in the print industry - both of my parents work for my city's newspaper. I know firsthand which major U.S. city newspapers (and I haven't even read them) are liberal, and I know which are conservative. Political cartoons, editorials, opinion pieces, essays, long-winded rants - you get these in troves in magazines and newspapers. These tend to be liberal. Conservative political cartoons? Are you kidding me? Conservative satire that isn't Stephen Colbert? Are you kidding me?

There are way more liberal papers than there are conservative.

Funnily enough, there are probably more moose and polar bears living in Canada than there are people. But who knows.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I believe that the media overall is roughly neutral, but much of the conservative media has such a ridiculous viewpoint (Fox News, Wall Street Journal Editorial Page [WSJ is my second favorite paper, but the editorial page sucks], anything with Fox in the title, New York Post, Chicago Sun Times, anything owned by Rupert Murdock) on much of their stuff (like that because the constitutuion doesn't specifically talk about creating a health care plan means the federal government can't do anything about it, in short, anything the founding fathers couldn't predict isn't allowed, sorry electronics), like Obama being Hitler, democrats hating America (Ann Coulter said she her biggest regret was that Timothy McVain didn't go to the NYTimes building), evolution being a farce, that the moderate liberal media is taken much more seriously.

The most respectable form of conservative media I find is the WSJ, and yet, its editorial page is so ridiculous compared to the rest of the paper that you find that the party is just appealing to a tiny segment and a decent part of the country.

Meanwhile, there are extreme liberal groups all over but there are much more resptectable moderate sources. The New York Times is almost neutral, with a slight liberal bias, and it is one of the best newspapers out there.

And Delorted1, your saying that because they don't have cartoons is pretty false, political cartoons from both sides are used effectively and are pretty well dispersed. However, justy because they don't have satire program doesn't mean they don't have their own method. Stuff like Crossfire was canceled because of it being too offensive, so yes, Republican satire generally doesn't work. However, imagine a democratic talk show radio host like Rush Limbaugh. That is something democrats could not succeed at.

Just because Rupert Murdock has made his papers appeal to a base of people who are insanely conservative doesn't mean there is a large majority of democratic papers. Its just besides the WSJ, the other papers have lost or didn't have a large readership because they alienated everyone but their base.

When someone like Sarah Palin can be believed by her base for saying a president wants to kill her child with down syndrome, it shows you how misinformed much of the population is that supports her. Stephen Colberts persona is hilarious because in many ways, it is accurate of the religious right, and they have alienated the rest of the party.

Reagan was famous for saying that he never left the democratic party, its values switched so he left them. The same is true with many republicans, who viewed themselves as moderate republicans. My neighbor used to be fairly influential in the Republican party, even knowing Carl Rove on a first hand basis at one point and being considered a fairly influential man in the party. In last 3 years, however, he left the party with almost the exact same quote as Reagan, he didn't leave, the party left him. It went for the extremes and lost a decent part of its base as a result.

EDIT: When Rush Limbaugh, a man who preaches ideological idiocy, was viewed by many as the unoffical leader of the Republican party, somethings wrong. When most of the people running for the nominee this year said they didn't believe in evolution, somethings wrong. When you have the party agree with people like Ann Coulter who supports the killing of liberals and the disenfranchising of women, somethings wrong. The moral majority that Reagan created has become the immoral minority, because it left its values.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
There is no liberal media, except for what you might find on PBS or the internet.

Those who run the media are rich, and it serves heavily in their favor to promote a republican agenda. The idea of a libearl press was never even heard of until Fox News came about.

http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Corporate_Media/Conservative_Media_WLM.html

One reason that many people including some liberals, believe the myth of the liberal media is that they do not know how extensive and influential the conservative media is. It is not simply that when you add up the circulation/penetration of the Fox News Channel, the Wall Street Journal editorial page, the New York Post, Washington Times, Weekly Standard, National Review, American Spectator, Human Events, wvvw.andrewsullivan.com, the Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh, the entire universe of talk radio, and most of the punditocracy, you've got a fair share of the media. The ability of these deeply biased and frequently untrustworthy outlets to shape the universe of the so-called "liberal media" gives them a degree of power and influence that exceeds their already considerable circulations.

D

Deleted member

illinialex, Rush Limbaugh's talk show does not require any reading. :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I don't really feel American conservatives read a whole lot. I think moving pictures and colourful diagrams are more their thing, which is why the myriad of local cable stations in America are more in tune to their demographic.
Really? I just have to ask: what is your problem? Why do you resort to insults instead of just focusing on the discussion at hand? I have seen people in the Debate Hall take political jabs here and there, but you have been on a roll. We are here discussing whether the media has ever been Liberal... and your response is "conservatives don't read; they prefer pretty pictures"? You just make yourself look dumber and dumber, and it has nothing to do with your political standing, nationality, race, etc. You just say stupid things over and over.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
The media always has a political party behind it everywhere across the world....it is mostly right wing but a few a liberal or neutral but they generally don't do as well as they tend to be (but aren't always) sensationalist..

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Of course there has been liberal media before. It's one thing if you want to argue that CNN isn't liberal, but to say that media has never been liberal is a stretch. There is media surrounding every party, liberal and conservative; if a party had no media influence whatsoever, it wouldn't have enough support to even be included on the ballot!

And what about commercials? Commercials are media as well, and we all know those are biased!

Now, if you were to narrow down the topic to, say, have major news sources ever been liberal, that would make for a more interesting debate.

Aesir

Smash Master
Of course there has been liberal media before. It's one thing if you want to argue that CNN isn't liberal, but to say that media has never been liberal is a stretch. There is media surrounding every party, liberal and conservative; if a party had no media influence whatsoever, it wouldn't have enough support to even be included on the ballot!
While I do see your point, you're kind of wrong here.

Mainstream media isn't very liberal, over looking the usual corporate bias the mainstream news media is actually either conservative or moderate. Any sort of liberal news isn't very main stream.

As far as having support to be on the ballot that's not really true either. Your level of support doesn't really play a big role of whether or not you're on the ballot. It just matters how many volunteers you can get across all 50 states trying to get signatures so you'll be placed on the ballot. (which even if you have signatures is usually met with legal opposition, because our good ol friends from the Democratic party and Republican party make the rules. )

And what about commercials? Commercials are media as well, and we all know those are biased!

Now, if you were to narrow down the topic to, say, have major news sources ever been liberal, that would make for a more interesting debate.
The problem here is there was a time when a stations political affiliation didn't effect the news, because believe it or not news stations use to report the news, real news not the pathetic excuse we have today.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Mainstream media isn't very liberal, over looking the usual corporate bias the mainstream news media is actually either conservative or moderate. Any sort of liberal news isn't very main stream.
That's kind of what I meant by narrowing the topic. The topic asks whether "media has ever been liberal" not whether mainstream news sources have ever been liberal.

As far as having support to be on the ballot that's not really true either. Your level of support doesn't really play a big role of whether or not you're on the ballot. It just matters how many volunteers you can get across all 50 states trying to get signatures so you'll be placed on the ballot. (which even if you have signatures is usually met with legal opposition, because our good ol friends from the Democratic party and Republican party make the rules. )
Right, the signatures is what I meant by support, and I would think it would be rather difficult to get enough volunteers without any sort of media influence at all.

The problem here is there was a time when a stations political affiliation didn't effect the news, because believe it or not news stations use to report the news, real news not the pathetic excuse we have today.
Yeah... R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
That's kind of what I meant by narrowing the topic. The topic asks whether "media has ever been liberal" not whether mainstream news sources have ever been liberal.
Speaking of which, I feel your last sentence more captures the essence of this post...I may even edit the OP to reflect this...

Aesir

Smash Master
Right, the signatures is what I meant by support, and I would think it would be rather difficult to get enough volunteers without any sort of media influence at all.
Signatures are not an accurate level of support though, because those signatures are not people who are going to be voting for you they're just a representation that people will allow you on the ballot.

Bob Barr barely got any media coverage and he was on 32 state ballots and a write in in various others.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Signatures are not an accurate level of support though, because those signatures are not people who are going to be voting for you they're just a representation that people will allow you on the ballot.

Bob Barr barely got any media coverage and he was on 32 state ballots and a write in in various others.
Regardless of how the system works, I find it hard to believe that he had absolutely no ads whatsoever. Just to achieve the amount of recognition to get those signatures pretty much requires media support in some way, shape, or form, regardless of how big or small the coverage is.

Even if he somehow managed to get on 32 state ballots with absololutely no media support whatsoever, we all know that democratic candidates have had media* support before, which is what I'm trying to get at.

* By media, I mean media in any form (such as commercials), not just mainstream news sources.

Aesir

Smash Master
Regardless of how the system works, I find it hard to believe that he had absolutely no ads whatsoever. Just to achieve the amount of recognition to get those signatures pretty much requires media support in some way, shape, or form, regardless of how big or small the coverage is.

Even if he somehow managed to get on 32 state ballots with absololutely no media support whatsoever, we all know that democratic candidates have had media* support before, which is what I'm trying to get at.

* By media, I mean media in any form (such as commercials), not just mainstream news sources.
I have no idea what I was trying to get at here to be quite honest. I must have been pretty tired, or under the influence of some recreational substance.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I have no idea what I was trying to get at here to be quite honest. I must have been pretty tired, or under the influence of some recreational substance.
Lol, ok :)

kazoo, I think a change to the OP would help the debate, in my humble opinion. ;)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
An example of how conservative the press is.

When Ronald Regan died, we not only got 3 weeks of straight coverage, but we also got uninterpreted live coverage of his nearly every second of his funeral. The last Kennedy did not receive the same treatment.

Aesir

Smash Master
An example of how conservative the press is.

When Ronald Regan died, we not only got 3 weeks of straight coverage, but we also got uninterpreted live coverage of his nearly every second of his funeral. The last Kennedy did not receive the same treatment.
Well you also have to realize Regan was president, then again Kennedy might as well have been president he was a senator for god knows how long.

It's funny Fox News is often times considered bias but if you watch them on election night they have EVERY candidates percentages up. As opposed to CNN, MSNBC and all the other news networks who only show the main two political parties.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If it wasn't the last Kennedy brother, then I would not expect the same treatment of as Regan.

Also, you have to remember that the libertarians make up a large portion of the Fox News audience. News companies are companies, and cater towards their market. Fox News goes after the farthest reach of conservatives, CNN tries to go after the center conservatives, while MSNBC is left with the liberal market.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Libertarians make up a large audience for Fox? Im going to have to ask for something to back that up, because I dont know any Libertarian's (and being one I tend to associate with them) who take Fox seriously (though that doesnt necessary apply to all their content, I find a great portion of it to be just plain dumb, and that is my opinion as a Libertarian. Granted this is only anecdotal evidence.

Fox certainly looks to cater to conservatives, but Libertarians, I dont really see it. CNN certainly does cater to a more moderate audience as well, and I agree that MSNBC is certainly catering to liberals.

Still, dont lump Libertarians in with your typical conservatives these days.

RDK

Smash Hero
If it wasn't the last Kennedy brother, then I would not expect the same treatment of as Regan.

Also, you have to remember that the libertarians make up a large portion of the Fox News audience. News companies are companies, and cater towards their market. Fox News goes after the farthest reach of conservatives, CNN tries to go after the center conservatives, while MSNBC is left with the liberal market.
Libertarians make up a large audience for Fox? Im going to have to ask for something to back that up, because I dont know any Libertarian's (and being one I tend to associate with them) who take Fox seriously (though that doesnt necessary apply to all their content, I find a great portion of it to be just plain dumb, and that is my opinion as a Libertarian. Granted this is only anecdotal evidence.

Fox certainly looks to cater to conservatives, but Libertarians, I dont really see it. CNN certainly does cater to a more moderate audience as well, and I agree that MSNBC is certainly catering to liberals.

Still, dont lump Libertarians in with your typical conservatives these days.
No libertarians I know watch Fox News. And not everybody who says they're libertarian is one (I'm looking at you, Glenn Beck. Go die in a hole).

I agree that Fox is far right and MSNBC is far left, but I think CNN is more middle than you're giving them credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom