• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Bowser's voice changed?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Please. If you don't like it, it's ok. But don't try to sell me the idea that it's "out of character", because that's just the interpretation that you want to make out of him. It's ok for him to remain that way in the Smash series while retaining his other voice in his source material. So don't tell me that they "half-arsed him" by retaining his current sounds, because Bowser sounding like a beast, especially in the midst of battle where instinct kicks in, is totally natural and expected since it reflects the kind of creature that he is.
Honestly, this is the only place where I've seen people argue that is not ok for a monster to sound like a monster, because "logic", right?
Which is why I said In my opinion, so don't jump down my throat Spartan style, because I'm not trying to "sell you" any ideas. To me, it does seem half-arsed that they went all the way to update him and leave his voice like Brawl's. If you like it, then that's lucky for you I guess. As I said, it's probably not changing anyway.

EDIT: Please explain to me how this doesn't sound like a monster (2:02-ish / 5:50-ish / 7:55-ish / 6:40-ish, although there are many other occasions)... Some of Bowser's roars and grunts in SM3DW are bone-chilling to epic proportions.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't understand why people think that Bowser's posture has anything to do with the way he "should" sound.
Might be because of that time in the forest, when a bear came running and growling at me. When it finally arrived at the place I was, it stood in it's hind-legs to look bigger and menacing, however it's threatening growls suddenly shifted to an exquisite british voice. We spent the rest of the afternoon having a pleasant chat discussing the conundrums of life.
Yep, an animal standing in it's hind-legs changes the way it sounds apparently.
Bowser isn't really an animal though, it's weird for him to just make grunts and mechanical dog noises when he's an intelligent being. People were expecting a change because they finally updated Bowser to his modern look, a lot of things were outdated with Bowser as he still looked and acted like he did back in 2001, and a lot has changed since, so with the update to his posture a voice change could likely have followed. Now it's going to feel like a weird blend of the old and the new.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
The modern Mario games, good as they are, aren't as captivating as the NES/SNES/N64 generations of Mario. To me the feral roars represent Bowser when he and his franchise were at their best, which is the point of Smash to begin with, right?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed with the cheap monster sounds coming back, after playing M&L: Bowser's Inside Story, the game were he develops the most as a character, i can't really think about anything else than him being "muted" in SSB4.
His new appearance screams to give him a voice.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Maybe they just haven't had the time to put his new voice in yet? Or if there was enough feedback asking to use it, they could very well change it before release.

Kinda funny how it seems like most of the DK players don't want them to use his voice from the recent games, while most of the Bowser players do want his new voice.

The modern Mario games, good as they are, aren't as captivating as the NES/SNES/N64 generations of Mario. To me the feral roars represent Bowser when he and his franchise were at their best, which is the point of Smash to begin with, right?
I'd argue the Galaxy games are very compelling, considering they're two of the highest rated games of all time and they sold like crazy.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd honestly argue that NSMBWii and U are better than every old 2D Mario (sans SMB3) as well when it comes to level design and focus, but that's another topic and I don't think it had anything to do with Bowser in Smash.

Also DK fan here, I like his newer voice better as well.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The whole "gritty realism" approach has had me wary since Man of Steel; so yes, I would absolutely prefer his actual voice, same with Donkey Kong.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
For me Old is always better than New so I'm sticking with Bowser's old voice as well as DK's, the same goes with their games as well, however, I'm not saying that the recent games aren't just as fun, either way, I look forward to playing as them both in ssbwii u/3-ds.

ImSpidey2Smash

Smash Rookie
This is something I've questioned since the game was announced. Has Bowser's voice changed? Because from what I can tell from the videos I saw, it either sounds like Kenny James or I just can't hear it at all. Does he retain the Brawl sounds? If so, is it likely to be a placeholder?

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
Its definately different... He sounds like he does in mario Kart

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Super Mario Galaxy > All Mario games. Mario right now feels at his best, and that should be represented, the roar Bowser makes when transforming into Meowser IS AMAZING.

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
I was at e3 and i played 20+ times... And i played as bowser like 4 times.... im certain its different

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I was at e3 and i played 20+ times... And i played as bowser like 4 times.... im certain its different
Is it possible that the E3 and Best Buy builds are different? Perhaps the latter build is older, thus having the Brawl voice.

Highly unlikely, but I'm hearing mixed things about Bowser's voice.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I sure hope you're right. His Mario Kart 8 / SM3DW voice would go really well with his updated look in my opinion. Perhaps the E3 version is different somehow.

grizby2

Smash Lord
i really like how bowser's true personality is finally being shown by bowser himself in game titles like in Mario&luigi series and the paper Mario series (not to mention the newer Mario parties as well). im not asking for full sentences , but I would like to hear him say stuff. he's now capable of doing simple 1 or 2 liners like Mario.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Kinda funny how it seems like most of the DK players don't want them to use his voice from the recent games, while most of the Bowser players do want his new voice.
Check the poll on this thread.

I've been hand-slapping everyone in the face all day, but I've already ran out of faces due to palm to the facepalmy worthy answers around here.

I'm not saying that Bowser is stupid or anything, but some here act as if he spends most of his time citing Shakespeare and Mark Twain instead of kidnapping princesses and fighting Mario. Have you even looked at him? He doesn't have draconic and monstrous features for nothing. Beasting-out is one of the things he does well; just look at his final battles in NSBW, 3D Land and 3D World where he unleashes a rampage and starts destroying everything around him.

Last edited:

ImSpidey2Smash

Smash Rookie
How is it different? :3

Update: Never mind, saw your previous post. I'm an idiot these days.

Last edited:

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
At least you weren't the guy who suggested the NSMB series, which are all uncreative and dull, is better than some of the finest works of art in the history of games. Yoshi's Island is still the best game of all time in my book.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
At least you weren't the guy who suggested the NSMB series, which are all uncreative and dull, is better than some of the finest works of art in the history of games. Yoshi's Island is still the best game of all time in my book.
Aesthetically bland, yes. But what does that have to do with level design?

It's not such an outrageous claim when the only 2D Mario that blends gameplay mechanics and platforming level design perfectly was Super Mario Bros 3. I realize SMB1 is a case study in game design and that 1-1 is notorious for its masterful level design, but it's mechanically outdated. (Mind you, I still play it regularly.) NSMBWii and U gives a new spin to SMB3's design and adds its own flavor to it. Granted, DS and NSMB2 fell short.

Super Mario World has its fan, but the level design is so divisive. It favors openness and exploration over the "toybox" design 2D Mario is pretty much known for, and thus lacks the "depth" (if you will) of all the others. Yoshi's Island does too, but I personally don't like it because of its pacing issues and the heavy collectathon influence, it's mechanically sound though.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Why the facepalm? Not everyone has to kiss Super Mario 64's rear, you know?
That's fine; but we're not gonna kiss Galaxy's rear either. Mario is my favorite fictional franchise of all time, in any medium, and the Galaxy games are the only ones I can say that I think are overrated. 3D Land and 3D World are great because they go back to classic style Mario mythos; and in fact the only thing 3D World did wrong was including Rosalina :p

But... there are a few things that they really should update in the new Smash game... like Bowser and DK's voices, and Marth speaking the language the game is in, and Mario getting rid of F.L.U.D.D. or at least getting the tornado as an alternate move. Bowser isn't very intimidating... I don't think he should be in Smash, either.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That's fine; but we're not gonna kiss Galaxy's rear either. Mario is my favorite fictional franchise of all time, in any medium, and the Galaxy games are the only ones I can say that I think are overrated. 3D Land and 3D World are great because they go back to classic style Mario mythos; and in fact the only thing 3D World did wrong was including Rosalina :p

But... there are a few things that they really should update in the new Smash game... like Bowser and DK's voices, and Marth speaking the language the game is in, and Mario getting rid of F.L.U.D.D. or at least getting the tornado as an alternate move. Bowser isn't very intimidating... I don't think he should be in Smash, either.
The Galaxy games aren't overrated, they deserve as much praise as they get, and Rosalina's awesome, why wouldn't they include her?
Eh...the first two NSMB were pretty good, Wii being the best on the New series, I haven't played NSMBU but I've heard good things about it.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The Galaxy games aren't overrated, they deserve as much praise as they get, and Rosalina's awesome, why wouldn't they include her?

Eh...the first two NSMB were pretty good, Wii being the best on the New series, I haven't played NSMBU but I've heard good things about it.
It's like you said, not everyone has to ride Mario 64, so then that means not everyone has to ride Mario Galaxy. I think 64 is far superior to Galaxy. Plus, Rosalina really is starting to feel forced at this point. Her day in the sun is over.

But at any rate, I'll stop now since I don't want a spam warning.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Why the facepalm? Not everyone has to kiss Super Mario 64's rear, you know?
Because saying super mario galaxy is better than all previous mario games is like saying donkey kong returns is better than all the other previous ones besides that. Not to mention you adding bowser's cat roar as the most epic thing ever.

I agree with all of that except that last sentence, Bowser should be in smash like every other main franchise character should and although I'm not a too big a fan of his cutrent roar and voice, it is better than some of the other one's he's had. Again, the 64 one is still my favorite and to me best one of his. He is supposed to be scary looking and evil afterall. I would'nt expect a fire breathing turtle like dragon monster to be very friendly.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Because saying super mario galaxy is better than all previous mario games is like saying donkey kong returns is better than all the other previous ones besides that. Not to mention you adding bowser's cat roar as the most epic thing ever.
To be fair, Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are the highest rated Mario games of all time. It's subjective.

(And I personally think DKCR is the better than all DKC games before. *shrugs*)

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

I agree with all of that except that last sentence, Bowser should be in smash like every other main franchise character should and although I'm not a too big a fan of his cutrent roar and voice, it is better than some of the other one's he's had. Again, the 64 one is still my favorite and to me best one of his. He is supposed to be scary looking and evil afterall. I would'nt expect a fire breathing turtle like dragon monster to be very friendly.
DKCR's at the same level, and DKC Tropical Freeze is miles ahead.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
It's like you said, not everyone has to ride Mario 64, so then that means not everyone has to ride Mario Galaxy. I think 64 is far superior to Galaxy. Plus, Rosalina really is starting to feel forced at this point. Her day in the sun is over.
I think Galaxy/Galaxy 2 is far, far superior to 64. It's really subjective. Do you like a more linear gameplay or a bit more open one? And I still think that Rosalina has potential. She is way more interesting than Daisy, who is just your tomboy foil of Peach, and Peach herself is just soo underdeveloped. To make Peach a really likeable character to me, she needs more development. She alwasy comes of as that ditzy damsel-in-distress in the NSMB games. She is said to be smart, but she may show it more often outside of the Paper Mario games (Excluding that Sticker Star catastrophe)! Rosalina? Already has a unique and developed character, thus she's more likeable. And I like her motherly and calm style. And she's hot.

Umm, on topic, I'd really like a new voice. Everyone saying "lol Bowser without his realistic roars sounds silly":
His current voice doesn't sound silly, it is fantastic voice acting by itself, but especially fantastic compared to Sunshines state. It isn't "very friendly" LOL, it sounds menacing. IMO those roars are silly as they dont. fit. at. all. They sound like a dog. Woof. Woof. He already got a new, more fitting design in SSB4, but with this design, a new voice may gladly come. I'm actually not a fan that Giga Bowser is returning, too.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Just how old are most of these gamers on here anyway?
That's a silly thing to say, if not downright immature and childish, as if our opinion are invalidated because of our age.

I am an advocate of classic games, but it is perfectly reasonable for some to prefer a newer game if they think it's better. This has nothing to do with age. Your mentality that older games are better than newer games without any basis on the other hand is very dismissive, and as someone who likes to study game design of any kind I find it very bothersome and annoying. What makes this even more ridiculous is the fact that Nintendo still applies the old school game design that you love today in contrast to other modern developers. Hell, that's the main thing they get criticized for today.

For the record, I think Super Metroid is the best game of all time (not my favorite), with the only other one that I'd say could compete with it is Resident Evil 4. My favorite game is from 2001, and my second favorite is from 2012. My favorite game series originated on the Gameboy, with the second originated during the Gamecube/GBA days. I don't judge games based on their release date, nor do I judge them based on the time I played them. No, I judge them based on their design.

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Coming from you two, it's no surprise.

No offense, but it kinda feels like you are nostalgia filtered.
"Old games are better, anyone not thinking this is a child lol and that is soo bad".
Seriously, be open for new things! And nothing has to do with age. IMO age is a bad argument in this case.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
**** **** ****, I accidentally hit no. I misread the question as " Do you want Bowser to keep his godzilla voice instead of his normal sounds?".
Coming from you two, it's no surprise.

Age has nothing to do with this. It's not like there's a barrier blocking the old games from the newer gamers.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Age has nothing to do with this. It's not like there's a barrier blocking the old games from the newer gamers.
I agree.
I'm 27, I grew up playing Mario games on the NES, SNES, and N64. I love Super Mario games, Super Mario Bros. all the way through Super Mario 3D World, so much that I've downloaded the classics on Virtual Console despite owning the cartridges.
I love each game for different reasons and I believe each one has something great to offer. I would be very hesitant to rate them from best to worst. But my favorite one overall? Super Mario Galaxy, simply because I enjoy it the most, for now.
Game preference is subjective. To me, defining the best game in a series is like choosing the best shade of red. It doesn't make much sense.

I'd prefer that Bowser (and DK) have his current canon voice in Smash Bros. for the same reasons I'd rather hear Charles Martinee as Mario than hearing generic man sound effects. It would be jarring and strange if Smash Bros were the only series where Mario didn't have his usual voice actor.
Granted, it's not as big a deal with Bowser as it would be with Mario. But it is kind of annoying to me.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
He doesn't have his Bowser's Inside Story Voice.
Opportunity = WASTED

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
So, Bowser doesn't sound like Bowser, and DK doesn't sound like DK.

Makes sense.

Top Bottom