• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Bowser's voice changed?

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Perhaps it is more accurate to assert that Donkey Kong does not sound like "Donkey Kong" Donkey Kong. Or the easier example, Bowser does not sound like "Mario" Bowser.
Yes, I understand Smash Bros has its own set of conventions that are retained, however it seems odd to disregard the 'canonical' depictions of these characters. Such effort has been put into keeping true to characters such as those from the Fire Emblem series, it doesn't make sense to me not to do the same for the aforementioned two.

Well, it's not as though it matters too much, in the long run. I do wonder, however, if it was a deliberate choice (as opposed to convenience), what was the reasoning behind the choice.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
They should go with DK's N64/GCN era voice if they want more intimidating in my opinion. Though, I do love his current voice.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd like his normal, actual voice.

Bowser can talk. We've heard him talk many times. Why doesn't he talk in SSB, even when doing a taunt>

Hell, a taunt where he tilts his head back and shouts "MUAHAHAHAHAHA!" ala SM64 would be AMAZING.

But beyond that, his "godzilla noises" suck, and I mean that they sound like they're sampled at extremely bad sound quality.

Anything would be better than these...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bowser's sounds from Brawl could be placeholders.

This is reminding me of Ike's Eruption, which was shown with red flames first, but in the Robin trailer, they had been changed to blue. The games are in development, after all, so things are subject to change.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I REALLY hope they change that. His voice from 2007 on is amazing. Kenny James does a stellar job at conveying both sillyness and total bad***ery with his Bowser voice. A much better fit than the generic movie monster noises in Melee/Brawl, in my opinion.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Bowser's sounds from Brawl could be placeholders.

This is reminding me of Ike's Eruption, which was shown with red flames first, but in the Robin trailer, they had been changed to blue. The games are in development, after all, so things are subject to change.
Yeah, I definitely have considered this, especially given the fact that Sonic had recycled voice clips from Sonic Generations in the Smash 4 E3 demo.

I am still hoping Koopa, as well as the Kongs, have their voices from their most recent games.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I wish Bowser would get the voice that he has now too. Its so awesome, and if anything they can just edit it to sound more "monster-like" I suppose. As for DK, I guess he should stay with the ape noises since his current voice probably won't fit like the ape noises

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I wonder what made Sakurai decide that Bowser and DK would fit better within the Smash setting with their realistic monster and animal stock grunts. Diddy has it worse with all those generic monkey sounds that I swear I've heard millions of times through cartoons and movies.

I really just prefer the voice he has in the games. It's so goofy, yet sinister. Fits his character well.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Yeah, I definitely have considered this, especially given the fact that Sonic had recycled voice clips from Sonic Generations in the Smash 4 E3 demo.

I am still hoping Koopa, as well as the Kongs, have their voices from their most recent games.
Also, have you heard Fox's voice? I'm pretty sure it's his Ned Flanders voice from 64. "FIEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So I'm guessing he still sounds like he does in Melee and Brawl? That's unfortunate. But I'm happy with all of the other changes with Bowser. He looks like a much more fun character to use.

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
Many of Bowser's voice clips from Bowser's Inside Story sound like they would fit in extremely well with Smash considering they're mostly grunts with a few words thrown in there (I'd post a link to it but I don't have 10 posts yet!), specifically that "SHOWTIME" clip that was mentioned earlier in the thread. That would make a great clip for his stage entrance or transformation into Giga Bowser. Ideally I would want some of his voice clips to be similar to his previous ones in Smash, but voiced by Bowser's actual voice actor. Similarly, I'd also like DK to get his actual voice as well, but that's unrelated.

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
I really want Bowser to get his Kenny James voice for this game in the final release. It just would not be Bowser without the Bowser voice! In all seriousness, it would not be a deal breaker for me, but he really should get his Mario games voice. I'm hoping that the voices in the E3 demo build were just placeholders, because some voices just seemed to be ported directly from Brawl, whereas the new characters and a select few who got voice actor replacements(Pit, Sonic, Fox), and Kirby for some reason, had their voices at a seemingly higher and better moderated volume than the others.

It seems to be very apparent in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObwJHTr8CBU

Pit, Rosalina, and Greninja are just a whole lot more audible than Zelda, who seems to have just had all of her voice clips ported over from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So again, I hope the voices for many of the veterans were just placeholders for the demo.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do hope that Kenny James is Bowser's VA this time around. This is my main request for the voice acting of this game (the only other one I MIGHT ask for is possibly DK's voice, but Kenny James for Bowser is my #1 request for VA). If he does have his Godzilla-like sounds, I'd be OK, but I would truly love Bowser's voice if they decided on using Kenny James' voice.

ImSpidey2Smash

Smash Rookie
Even in the E3 build, Bowser's voice didn't change. But again, anything can change in development, so let's keep our fingers crossed for Kenny James.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Man, I'm not keeping up on the hacking scene, but if the Wii U proves moddable, I would totally change Bowser's voice if I had the ability. There's plenty to work with for Smash Bros. just in this collection.

Seriously, Kenny James has the best job in world.

Last edited:

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
Speaking of voices, :4link: should have either his "Sure is booooring around here..." or his "Well, excuuuuse me, princess!" voice. :troll: (Only joking, of course!)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Kenny James needs to come back. Immediately. Those Bowser grunt samples he has are nothing short of amazing,

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
In some of Japanese trailers, I think Bowser's voice is different from Brawl's.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Guys, I recently watched a video about ssb4 in japanese. If you listen closely, Bowser's voice sounds somewhat like the one BiS! Voiced Bowser confirmed for smash! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omeOylQYkuU#t=235
Uh, that's just one the grunts he normally does with his feral voice. You should at least make sure that something is actually confirmed before lulling people into thinking something else.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Uh, that's just one the grunts he normally does with his feral voice. You should at least make sure that something is actually confirmed before lulling people into thinking something else.
Sorry about that. Well at least we will know by friday! :3

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Bears repeating.

Seriously, if Jr. does indeed get his real voice (which I think is a distinct possibility) then Bowser's vocals will stick out so awkwardly compared to the rest of the Mario cast.
What makes you guys think he'll even get a voice instead of just evil chuckles?

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I don't mean speaking, I mean the noises he makes.
Wait? Are you referring to Bowser or Bowser Jr because I was talking about BJ. He should just chuckle instead of having an actual voice. If anything it would just be weird for Bowser to all of a sudden be able to talk in Smash.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wait? Are you referring to Bowser or Bowser Jr because I was talking about BJ. He should just chuckle instead of having an actual voice. If anything it would just be weird for Bowser to all of a sudden be able to talk in Smash.
I was referring to Jr. And even if he's not saying words, he'll have a voice. Neither of them absolutely need to speak, but I'd rather have Bowser say words than just sounding like Godzilla with a head cold.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I was referring to Jr. And even if he's not saying words, he'll have a voice. Neither of them absolutely need to speak, but I'd rather have Bowser say words than just sounding like Godzilla with a head cold.
Yeah idk about that. To me it just wouldn't feel right but I guess everyone has their own opinion. Maybe we should give DK his 64 voice as well. Think I'll start a thread for that :)

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Trust me, I want that from him and Diddy too. I'd even take his silly current voice.
Yeah, I really don't see why those are the only Mario related characters that don't speak.

Even Yoshi can speak.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah idk about that. To me it just wouldn't feel right but I guess everyone has their own opinion. Maybe we should give DK his 64 voice as well. Think I'll start a thread for that :)
DK was originally planned to have his 64 voice, according to his then VA, but Sakurai(iirc) turned it down for realism purposes.

Blame him :troll:

Top Bottom