• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Bowser's voice changed?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So what do you think about Bowser's "Godzilla sounds" in SSB?
Do you think he will have his normal voice this time?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Normal voice for the win.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He sounds like a robot in Brawl. Would definitely prefer his actual voice, the Brawl sounds wouldn't fit with his new model either.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
He should have his normal voice that he has in the Mario games. It doesn't really make sense for him not to have it. It was just a little awkward in Brawl. His original voice fits him just fine.

Give him the Godzilla voice for Giga Bowser though. That works fine in that form.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Bowser looks more like he did in the Mario games this time, so if rather he have his normal voice from the games.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I really didn't mind the roar sounds from Brawl that much. Monstrous roars, growls and bellowing, evil laughter were the only sounds to come from Bowser's stuffhole until...hell, Mario Sunshine, I think? And even there he only actually spoke about three voice-acted lines of dialogue. I'd personally prefer if he just roared again, though I'd be fine with either option. I'm just happy he's in the game.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I want Bowser's original voice! I mean...I want him to shout SHOWTIME! when you pick him on the character select screen, and maybe shout MARIO! when he wins againist Mario on the Results screen.

Bowser's voice really hasn't been nailed down until recently, and I'm glad they kept the roars until now. I would have hated Bowser's Sunshine voice to be in the game. But now, Bowser voice seems to match his personality and style. It's time to add it. I don't think they should go hog wild, but grunts and laughs would feel appropriate. Especially his laugh, which is actually a big part of his character, and has been since 64.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I was doing a little research about Bowser's voice and find out this is that Kenny James is the man that voices Bowser, great job he does btw.
This is the list of games in wich he voiced Bowser:

With that big list i think we will gonna get Bowser voiced in SSB4.

Shök

Smash Champion
I loved Bowser's voice from Inside Story. Something along the lines of that would be good.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
The generic Godzilla sound effects are just awful and definitely ruin the character for me. It is not even close to being an accurate representation of him, and I feel no different towards Donkey and Diddy's real-ass primate noises. He should be given his real voice.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I'm all for him having his normal voice. His animal noises never really bothered me at alll, but now that people have brought it up I see no problem with him having his normal voice.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If Bowser still has those boring roars as his only dialogue, yet all this trouble was taken to update his appearance and moves, I'll just wonder if Sakurai just got real lazy with the sound mixing. DK and Diddy need their correct voices as well. Say what you will about Takashi Nagasako's DK, but at least it has personality to it. DK making all these silly faces, but having "RAWR" as his only dialogue would clash really badly.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
What do you mean by Godzilla roar? I don't recall Bowser having any Godzilla sounding roars in any mario game at all, are you talking about this roar? he's had that one since mario kart 64 and most of the gamecube nintendo games, if you ask me, I actually prefer that one more than his current voices, it makes him sound more evil and monstrous. To me, this IS his normal voice. Although I'll admit his dialogue voice from Bowser's Inside Story was pretty cool too.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Thankfully, it looks like DK and Diddy are keeping their monkey noises, rather than Scooby Kong or a mouse. But I don't remember hearing Bowser's voice in the new Direct at all. Was it confirmed that he's keeping generic Godzilla roars as well?

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Thankfully, it looks like DK and Diddy are keeping their monkey noises, rather than Scooby Kong or a mouse. But I don't remember hearing Bowser's voice in the new Direct at all. Was it confirmed that he's keeping generic Godzilla roars as well?
Godzilla roaring is one thing, I actually like his Melee voice. But the wierd synthetic crap from Brawl just sounded silly.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If you'd like to consider yourself a DK fan, you should want the weird realistic voices to burn in hell.

Juken

Smash Ace
I never played Bowser's inside story, but it sounds really good, so I'm all for it. It always kind of annoyed me how characters who have had voices just use grunts. Like, Marth speaks full japanese sentences, but Dedede just makes some strange grunts that sound nothing like his voices that he's had (although the only one I know of is kirby right back at ya).

Here's some chars who's voices bothered me:
Bowser: The generic beat grunts, as already said in this thread. But I do want to mention that I love how Project M devs slipped his Mario Kart 64 roar into his down taunt.
Mewtwo: His grunts were fitting, but I wish he spoke a bit like he did in the movie. Also like what the Project M did slipping his pokemon roar into the side taunts.
Donkey Kong: DK 64 voice and grunts would've been nice. Or his voice from that DK country show where he sang all the time.
Diddy Kong: His MK Wii sounds) I kind of liked his brawl grunts, but they weren't really accurate I guess. His Diddy Kong racing voice seems a little too silly.
King Dedede, as I stated above.
Ike: I don't even get Ike. He sounds creepy in brawl, and not much like hisfire emblem voice. He also spoke english when all the other FE chars spoke japanese?
Sonic: I love his "You're too slow!" quote, but god the rest of his lines kinda suck, especially when he says "we should do this again sometime!" I'd prefer his voice by Jason Griffith from (Sonic 2006) and (Sonic Unleashed).
Pit: His voice in brawl sounds so weird, can't quite put my finger on it. I like his Uprising voice way more though, I even use a mod for that voice in Project M
Wolf: I actually don't have a problem with his voice, lol. Just wanted to mention that I love his voice in comparison to his Star Fox 64 voice...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If you'd like to consider yourself a DK fan, you should want the weird realistic voices to burn in hell.
I consider it a case of the Lesser of Two Evils. I'd prefer his Grant Kirkhope voice from DK64 or the funny ape noises from Mario Kart 64, but since the only options are gorilla noises and Scooby Kong, I'll gladly take the gorilla noises. Keep Takashi Nagasako the hell away from Smash, unless he's voicing Melee Ganondorf.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I consider it a case of the Lesser of Two Evils. I'd prefer his Grant Kirkhope voice from DK64 or the funny ape noises from Mario Kart 64, but since the only options are gorilla noises and Scooby Kong, I'll gladly take the gorilla noises. Keep Takashi Nagasako the hell away from Smash, unless he's voicing Melee Ganondorf.
Scooby Kong's the best DK voice.
YAHEEE!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Scooby Kong's the best DK voice.
YAHEEE!
You're making me cry now that his masterful rendition of a cartoon dog in the body of a cartoon gorilla will never appear in this Smash game. Oh, the humanity! DK is ruined!

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You're making me cry now that his masterful rendition of a cartoon dog in the body of a cartoon gorilla will never appear in this Smash game. Oh, the humanity! DK is ruined!
Actually...yes...the realistic voice ruins him. I want to play with the same DK I played with on Tropical Freeze and Returns, not some generic gorilla. I guess K.Rool should get some ugly alligator sounds instead of his GROOOHs from the actual DKC games.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Actually...yes...the realistic voice ruins him. I want to play with the same DK I played with on Tropical Freeze and Returns, not some generic gorilla. I guess K.Rool should get some ugly alligator sounds instead of his GROOOHs from the actual DKC games.
I'd...actually really enjoy that.

Some of the earlier sounds in there even bear resemblance to his "BURP!" sound effect.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If you're a real DK fan, you'd appreciate the original ape grunts from the original dkc games and the ungh and grooohs from k. rool, without those games, there'd be no dkcr or tropical freeze.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
If you're a real DK fan, you'd appreciate the original ape grunts from the original dkc games and the ungh and grooohs from k. rool, without those games, there'd be no dkcr or tropical freeze.
Oh geez dont pull that crap. Doesnt mean we have to want those voices to persist forever. It would be like saying we arent fans if we dont want yoshi to only have super mario world noises coming out of him instead of his established voice we have now.

Im a fan of all these characters, and bowser most of all. Id like it for them to at least convey some sort of feeling within this game through their voices especially the ones we are most familiar with as of now (pits getting his new voice so why not?). The monster sfx are limited to a degree, they can only do so much.

Top Bottom