• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Alright- 37 days left.

I think I should probably start re-reading the others now. I can probably read 1-3 in 5 days to a week- but 4, 5, and six will take longer. Plus, I plan on reading Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastical Beasts and where to Find Them.

Maybe I'll pick up one of those " What will happen in book 7" books too.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am on Book 4 so far. Book one took me a month thanks to finals. Book 2 about a week, and Book 3, 4 days. Book 4 seems a bit longer. So should I be able to make it for book 7?

Also, the YTMND spoiler was disproven before anyone posts it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Crimson, is this your first time reading the books, or are you just re-reading them like me.

If this is your first time- I envy you. I can only imagine what it must be like to read all seven books for the first time within 2 months or so without having to wait for the next one.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yea, it's my first time reading them. They were huge in elementary school but I was reading Hannibal, Silence of the Lambs, and other series at the time. Now that it's almost over, I figured it was worth reading since even my professors in college talk about it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Alright, just finished re-reading book one. Not much really intrigued me other than the Halloween chapter.

Why would Hermione lie to the teachers and say she was trying to tackle the troll herself rather than tell the truth:

Hermione was crying in the bathroom because she was upset about what Ron thought of her- the Harry and Ron felt sorry, and realized she didn't know about the troll, so they went to save her. What's wrong with that story?

Anyways, it's kind of interesting reading the beginning of book one, knowing that Book 7 is going to go into more detail of what happened that night.

I'll post my comments and questions as I re-read the rest of the books as well.

EDIT:

New Deathly Hallows Spoilers! They aren't that big, so don't be TOO afraid to highlight, some of you might have guessed it already anyways.

SPOILERS:
--> At Saturday's OOTP press conference in London, producer David Heyman was asked which character was referred to when they were advised by JKR not to cut it from the movie. Heyman responded with this:

"Jo reads each draft. She reads each screenplay, and she said, 'You know, I wouldn't do that if I were you. Or you can, but if you get to make a seventh film, you'll be tied in knots.'"

"Which character was it?" he was asked, but Heyman teased, "I thought you might ask that. I'm not going to say."

Luckily, however, MTV News caught up with director David Yates yesterday where he submitted.

"It was Kreacher, actually. We took Kreacher out, and Jo said, ‘Listen guys, you don’t have to put Kreacher back, but I’m just telling you, if you want to kind of keep a thread going for six and seven, you might want Kreacher to come back.’ She basically told us Kreacher plays a role in Seven, in a sense. She hinted. We thought about it for five seconds, and he came back"
.<---

My thoughts on the subject: (highlight)

I'm pretty sure Kreacher helped Regulus destroy the locket. House elves have to follow orders, and the potion Dumbledore drank only effects humans, IIRC. I know it seems weird, with Kreacher seeming so evil, but it's definetly plausible.

What do you guys think?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I have to bump this up. I'll take the infraction if I deserve it- Harry's not getting enough love.

Anyways, finished book 2 again- I don't really have too many impressions except for the diary as a horcrux.

First of all, why would Voldy leave the diary in Lucious Malfoy's possesion? If it was a horcrux, wouldn't he want it hidden and protected?

Second of all- I don't really understand the properties of horcruxes. Maybe more will be revealed in DH, but why could Tom Riddle come out of the diary when the real Voldemort was "hiding in the forests of Albania". I dunno, the diary just seemed like an interesting horcrux to me.

That's all for now, I'm on like pg. 100 of book 3, I think this one is probably my second favorite, next to OotP. I'll post more re-reading impressions when I'm done.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
This book has already leaked. On another forum there is one guy spoiling everything right now. I really hate him for that, cause now I know things I didn't want to know yet.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I have a question also:
Why do you guys think that Snape killed Dumbledore because he told him too???
Seems really weird..

Redragon

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Could somebody please what the deal was in book 4 when Harry and Voldemort's wands connected and they saw Harry's parents, cedric, and the caretaker?
In book one, Mr. Ollivander (the wand-maker) mentions to Harry that both his and Voldemort's wands contain a feather from the same phoenix. In book four, it's explained after their fight that when a wand is forced to fight against a related wand, one of the wands will force the other to spill out its last spells. Since Voldemort's last spells were the silver hand, the crucio curse, and the killing curses, those echoes popped out.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
This book has already leaked. On another forum there is one guy spoiling everything right now. I really hate him for that, cause now I know things I didn't want to know yet.
Uh... no it hasn't. Are you talking about the hacker "Gabriel" who "hacked Bloombury" and "obtained a digital manuscript"?

Gullible is written on the ceiling.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Alright, just finished re-reading book one. Not much really intrigued me other than the Halloween chapter.

Why would Hermione lie to the teachers and say she was trying to tackle the troll herself rather than tell the truth:

Hermione was crying in the bathroom because she was upset about what Ron thought of her- the Harry and Ron felt sorry, and realized she didn't know about the troll, so they went to save her. What's wrong with that story?

Anyways, it's kind of interesting reading the beginning of book one, knowing that Book 7 is going to go into more detail of what happened that night.
The students were out of bounds. She didn't want Harry and Ron to get into trouble.

It seems to me like you're certain there's something there. Did Rowling mention something about this in particular?

I agree with the Diary being very peculiar, especially how Malfoy got his hands on it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
The students were out of bounds. She didn't want Harry and Ron to get into trouble.

It seems to me like you're certain there's something there. Did Rowling mention something about this in particular?

I agree with the Diary being very peculiar, especially how Malfoy got his hands on it.
I don't think there's anything more than meets the eye about the Halloween night in book one, I just thought it was strange.

Either way, though, Harry and Ron are out of bounds to go and save Hermione, I don't see why the reason Hermione was there would make a difference

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It's because Harry and Ron went by themselves without getting a teacher. That's what would have gotten them in trouble

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'll probably be done Book 5 tomorrow and starting Book 6 Friday. My friends are hell-bent on spoiling book 7 by camping out on the 21st and yelling spoilers. Fortunately, all spoilers to date have been proven false. The
Snape dies killing Voldemort has been disproven as the article it came from was littered with misspellings of the names AND filled with American Slang. The Hermione is killed by Voldemort is even more ridiculous because it only appears in a summary of the book, not an actual page by page one.

People will always be *******s when it comes to stuff like this. The people that spoil stuff are usually the ones that had stuff spoiled for them, so they want revenge.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Precisely why I will be buying the book at Walgreens or Walmart.

I say
Longbottom is the one fortold of in the prophecy. (the one at the end of the 5th book) Why else would the author even say that both Neville and Harry fulfilled it? It seems like bad writing to introduce an idea as big as that just to disprove it in one page. That's all I really have to go on with my theory. It would be plain bad writing on Rowling's part.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Precisely why I will be buying the book at Walgreens or Walmart.

I say
Longbottom is the one fortold of in the prophecy. (the one at the end of the 5th book) Why else would the author even say that both Neville and Harry fulfilled it? It seems like bad writing to introduce an idea as big as that just to disprove it in one page. That's all I really have to go on with my theory. It would be plain bad writing on Rowling's part.
Response -->
I know for a fact that Jo said in an interview that the prophecy is definetly about Harry. Also, part of the prophecy said "marked by the dark lord as his equal". Harry has been, Neville hasn't. The prophecy is only as true as people make it. Harry and Voldemort still have free will, but the prophecy sort of tricks them into following it. (At least that's what Dumbledore says.)
<--

EDIT: Aight, I finished book 3 and started book four.

I don't have many complaints with Book three, and it all seemed pretty fluent and sensible. I still have one question though, and this is from a post I made earlier in the topic:

Me said:
What was up with Snapes actions at the end of PoA? Did he truly want Sirius dead, when he knew that he may be innocent? Would he be so irrational as to pretend Peter wasn't there, when he could be faithful to Voldy? Would he really want to get Harry expelled from Hogwarts, when he knows perfectly well that he's the only one who can kill Voldemort? All of this just because of a school-boy grudge?
I also have reason to believe that Snape heard the ENTIRE conversation between Lupin, Black, and the trio before walking in, which makes it even worse, because he would've heard Lupin and Blacks explanations- meaning he was very irrational in what he did.

Re-read that part of the book. Do you see where it says something like: "The door mysteriously swung open- unaided." ? Well, Lupin went over there to close it afterwards, and eyes it curiously, because he continues to tell the trio how the Shrieking Shack is NOT haunted, it was where he stayed as a werewolf. Well, if that WAS Snape, it makes me start to question his loyalty.

Also, from just the first chapter of Book 4, I am a little confused. I understand the second part of the chapter, with Peter, Voldy, Frank Bryce, and Bertha Jenkins, but what was up with the first part? I've read this book probably 5 times before, and I've never questioned it before- so maybe I've just forgotten something, but it seems peculiar to me.

It goes on about how all three Riddles were found dead- the two parents and Tom, the young boy. Naturally, Voldemort couldn't have died; so what's going on here? Frank, who was arrested at first, said the only person he saw was a suspicious looking tall boy with black hair, which also fits the discription of Voldemort.

Can somebody please clear this up for me?

EDIT2: I guess that was just Voldemorts dad. His name was Tom as well, and Voldemort must have been the suspicious looking boy who killed them. Still though, doesn't it seem weird that Voldemort's dad was still living with his parents at 40 some years old? That strikes me as quite odd.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Did he really?

You could have at least responded to some of the things that have been previously posted. :(

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Hensin a-go-go!
Response -->
I know for a fact that Jo said in an interview that the prophecy is definetly about Harry. Also, part of the prophecy said "marked by the dark lord as his equal". Harry has been, Neville hasn't. The prophecy is only as true as people make it. Harry and Voldemort still have free will, but the prophecy sort of tricks them into following it. (At least that's what Dumbledore says.)
<--
Ha! I am right, and I know it. Just you wait. This prophecy thing will by like one of those Scooby Doo episodes where the evidence comes out at the last second. :p

I also have reason to believe that Snape heard the ENTIRE conversation between Lupin, Black, and the trio before walking in, which makes it even worse, because he would've heard Lupin and Blacks explanations- meaning he was very irrational in what he did.

Re-read that part of the book. Do you see where it says something like: "The door mysteriously swung open- unaided." ? Well, Lupin went over there to close it afterwards, and eyes it curiously, because he continues to tell the trio how the Shrieking Shack is NOT haunted, it was where he stayed as a werewolf. Well, if that WAS Snape, it makes me start to question his loyalty.
There isn't any reason/evidence which leads us to believe Snape heard the whole conversation before the door swung open. (when he entered the room)

The part where Snape heard was all just a bunch of jibberish which talked about Lupin and Serius's school boy days and had nothing to do with Voldemort at all. So Snape never heard anything important.

Snape believed that Lupin was helping Serius Black into the castle.

Also, from just the first chapter of Book 4, I am a little confused. I understand the second part of the chapter, with Peter, Voldy, Frank Bryce, and Bertha Jenkins, but what was up with the first part? I've read this book probably 5 times before, and I've never questioned it before- so maybe I've just forgotten something, but it seems peculiar to me.

It goes on about how all three Riddles were found dead- the two parents and Tom, the young boy. Naturally, Voldemort couldn't have died; so what's going on here? Frank, who was arrested at first, said the only person he saw was a suspicious looking tall boy with black hair, which also fits the discription of Voldemort.

Can somebody please clear this up for me?
I didn't quite understand this myself until the 6th book came along. Voldemort's dad was named Tom as well, a muggle. When he found out that he had married a witch, he ran off and married another woman. I'm not sure if he named his own son Tom Jr, but that should explain things. Both of his sons were also named Tom like himself. (Sorry, I dont have the book at hand to explain in more detail)

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
No, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up. Actually though, since nobody was responding I figured it out on my own and edited the previous post. I swear it! Check the edit time!

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
EDIT2: I guess that was just Voldemorts dad. His name was Tom as well, and Voldemort must have been the suspicious looking boy who killed them. Still though, doesn't it seem weird that Voldemort's dad was still living with his parents at 40 some years old? That strikes me as quite odd.
You mean this edit where you thought Voldemort's dad lived with his parents? >_> ROFLS

Tom Senior, Voldemort's dad, was the parent. The "Tom" was his son, Tom Jr.
So there are two Tom Jr.'s. THe one who died and the mad wizard.

Never mind my typo. There was never an edit here, Mr.GAW.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
WTF? Sorry then, I don't understand. You're telling me Voldemort had children?

EDIT: Oh, okay. I was a bit confused there.

But I think it just as odd that Voldemort had a brother that was never mentioned as it would be odd that Voldemort's dad was living with his parents.

Unless it DID say Voldemort had a brother (or half-brother, rather) somewhere, in which case, sorry for doubting you.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Voldemort was named after his father. His father, a muggle, had a second child whom he named Tom as he had abandoned Voldemort.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
I didn't quite understand this myself until the 6th book came along. Voldemort's dad was named Tom as well, a muggle. When he found out that he had married a witch, he ran off and married another woman. I'm not sure if he named his own son Tom Jr, but that should explain things. Both of his sons were also named Tom like himself. (Sorry, I dont have the book at hand to explain in more detail)
Almost there. :) Tom Riddle Sr. abandoned Merope Gaunt (Lord Voldemort's Mother) while Merope was still pregnant, thus it was Merope who named her son "Tom Riddle" like the boy's father before him.

Both of his sons...
This is where you lost me... because this never happened :p Tom Riddle Sr. had only ONE son, and that was Tom Marvolo Riddle (Jr.), a.k.a. Lord Voldemort. Tom Riddle Sr.'s father (Voldemort's grandfather) has an unknown name... he only makes an appearance in the flashback at the beginning of the Goblet of Fire, in the scene where Voldemort's Father and his grandparents are sitting dead "in their dinner things" within the Riddle House. . .

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^ That's what I thought, but it does sound a little ridiculous that Voldemort's dad still lived with his parents.

EDIT: I understand CK's and Commons explanations now, but don't you think it odd that it was never mentioned in the books that Voldemort had a brother?

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Voldemort doesn't have a brother...

In the opening of book four, it explains how Mr. and Mrs. Riddle (Voldemort's grandparents) and their son, Tom (Voldemort's father) were found dead in their house.

Voldemort's real name is Tom Marvolo Riddle. Tom, for his father (who he killed), and Marvolo for Merope's (Voldemort's mother) father.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Oh bugger, I'm wrong. I just looked it up, and in the death scene (or whatever you call it) it said that Tom, the muggle, was grown up, and his parents were elderly. Oops.

Coulda sworn he remarried... Meh. >_>

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Well, he did remarry, he just didn't have kids.

But why was Voldemorts dad still living with his parents? Eh? EH? Because I could've SWORN he did get remarried, and if not, WHY would he go back to living with his parents.

Thanks for clarifying things there, Osco.

mask man

Smash Cadet
If Harry or his scar is a Horcrux, I'm going to put my fist through a wall. Seriously, I hate that **** and think it's a terrible idea. I realize that JKR may want to force Harry to make a sacrifice, but it's possible for Harry to sacrifice himself without making him one. It doesn't make sense for Voldemort to do do it on purpose, and I don't buy that some incredibly rare bit of super secret dark magic could be done on accident. Whateva~

well,harry could make a horcrux and then sacrafice himself,
i doubt he would do such dark magic though.
also i belive that...you all might flip on this...dumbldore is alive.
i have many clues to this,(i didnt need any help from websites and such ^^) and im not telling lol.im sure that R.A.B. is blacks brother,but i was thinking it might be made by JKR that obv so if its diffrent all the fans would be "ZOMG I CANT BELIVE IT!!!"
but i would like to see blacks brother ending up as R.A.B. cuss it would possably lead to another black family member that isnt a total **** head.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Well, he did remarry, he just didn't have kids.

But why was Voldemorts dad still living with his parents? Eh? EH? Because I could've SWORN he did get remarried, and if not, WHY would he go back to living with his parents.

Thanks for clarifying things there, Osco.
Been a while, but I'm pretty sure they said he moved back because of his divorce or something of that sort.

And no, I haven't read this thread

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
also i belive that...you all might flip on this...dumbldore is alive.
i have many clues to this,(i didnt need any help from websites and such ^^) and im not telling lol.im sure that R.A.B. is blacks brother,but i was thinking it might be made by JKR that obv so if its diffrent all the fans would be "ZOMG I CANT BELIVE IT!!!"
but i would like to see blacks brother ending up as R.A.B. cuss it would possably lead to another black family member that isnt a total **** head.
Harry could make a Horcrux and sacriface himself? That hardly makes sense, considering the hypothesis that Harry is a Horcrux.

About Dumblefore, J.K. Rowling herself said in one of her interviews in NYC that Dumbledore is in fact dead. If she says Dumbledore's dead, then there is no further argument, debate, or dispute. Dumbledore is dead.

And I'm also positive on the identity of R.A.B. being Regulus Black. It would make sense that he stole the Horcrux in the Cave (with an accomplice, since two people were needed as stated by Dumbledore), and stashed it away until he can destory it. .. so I'm also very sure that the "heavy locket none of them could open" mentioned in book five is the Horcrux'D locket that Regulus brought home. Why am I sure of this? Because J.K. Rowling said herself that a CAREFUL reader should by now have found at least ONE of the Horcruxes.

..and whoever first noticed this obviously must've been reading meticulously :p, because if indeed this heavy locket is the Horcrux, then it was very well hidden by J.K., just the thing she'd do IMO ;)

Because Voldemort's dad was scared that he got magically seduced by Merope (love potion). He's a Muggle, so obviously magic is something very foreign to him, scaring him into running away to his parents place. As far as the story goes, Tom Riddle Sr. never owned his own place, he always lived with his parents until the time when Merope hoodwinked the poor man. :p

Understand now?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Tom Riddle Sr. lives with his parents 17 years after getting divorced... pathetic. He was wealthy too. It said so in the book.
I sure hope Harry isn't a horcrux. Sure, it makes sense since they're linked together through the scar in ways that just shouldn't be, but that would just plain suck. Heh, Harry making a horcrux. That'd be cool.

And I read somewhere that Voldemort was never able to obtain a total of seven horcruxes at a single, given time. Apparently, if Nagimi, the snake, really is the last of the Horcruxes then the destruction of the Diary in Year 2 should indicate that a perfect seven was never obtained since Voldemort was given a body sometime between Year 3 and 4. That means there have only been six most at a given time.
Edit: Taking this into consideration, it seems impossible for Harry to be a horcrux then. Well, unless Voldemort mistakenly makes Harry the 7th Horcrux, and Nagimi was the 8th or something stupid like that.

And where did you get that Rowling confirmed Dumbledore was dead, Leviatan? It seems like a fake article to me or else more people would have heard about it.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Common, I've heard of it too. It was in an interview. Googling it will find it.

I don't see how Harry could be a horcruxe. Voldermort is constantly trying to kill him, so why would he put his soul into something he's trying to destroy?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I read it. :(
Dumbledore dead? Well I sure hope Rowling is lieing through her teeth because I've always liked Dumbledore. (He's fictional. I simply must remember that.)
One audience member greeted Jo by yelling "Don't kill Harry," to which Jo responded: "Oh, no pressure then."
I hope this is her way of saying he's dead and she enjoyed killing him off. I never liked him as a character much.

Oh, and Ron, Hermione, Snape, and Umbridge too. and Dudley
Edit: Hmm. Do I even enjoy reading these books?

mask man

Smash Cadet
hmmmm
but with all the clues in book 6 that dumbledore wasnt killed.
how could he be dead then,unless he was killed by something other then the
fake
avada kadavra.theres also stuff going on about him possably being revived,i dont realy belive it much.either he dies,he was already dead,or he will still be alive.
JKR could have planned for dombledore to not die and keep the clues before she could edit it,

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
1. Yeah, Dumbly is dead.

2. I TRULY don't believe Harry is a horcrux, for three reasons:
a. It would've had to be an accident, and it would've had to be done WITH the AK, since it immediatley rebounded and "destroyed" him.
b. All of the horcruxes that we have seen so far appear undamaged, like normal objects, nothing strange about them until they have been destroyed. Harry's scar would make him a very abnormal horcrux.
c. Jo isn't a stupid *****.

3. Question time:

When Voldemort was destroyed that Halloween night, was a seventh of Voldy's soul immediatly drawn out of a horcrux, but he still needed a body, or was he living, like, without a soul, or something? I'm basically asking when a horcrux was used, right when he was destroyed? Or in GoF, when he was given a body?

4. I'm quite certain that Kreacher was the one that helped Regulus get the locket. My reason is quite a few post up, but on this page. It's in spoiler tags.

Because Voldemort's dad was scared that he got magically seduced by Merope (love potion). He's a Muggle, so obviously magic is something very foreign to him, scaring him into running away to his parents place. As far as the story goes, Tom Riddle Sr. never owned his own place, he always lived with his parents until the time when Merope hoodwinked the poor man.
Are you saying that Voldemort's dad never re-married? I thought that AFTER Merope, he found another woman and got married, but didn't have a kid. Why would he have gone from his happy normal muggle mariage to living with his parents?

6. That's all, I'll bring any more questions once I finish GoF again, but that'll probably be tom. or thursday.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
Why would he have gone from his happy normal muggle mariage to living with his parents?
Alright, I admit having lost the 6th HP book : /, so I can't attest to the possible fact that Tom Riddle Sr. remarried the Muggle girl he liked before Merope. But rest assure that he had no children before or after Merope, and that he ALWAYS lived with his parents (the Riddle House) until Merope magicked him.

When Voldemort was destroyed that Halloween night, was a seventh of Voldy's soul immediatly drawn out of a horcrux, but he still needed a body, or was he living, like, without a soul, or something? I'm basically asking when a horcrux was used, right when he was destroyed? Or in GoF, when he was given a body?

Well, we still don't know the full details of what exactly happened that night; once again, rest assure that we WILL learn the full story in the Deathly Hallows. Yes, there is something vague about how Voldemort managed to survive his own Avada Kedavra curse, meaning we still don't know the full properties of the Horcrux. It is very possible that, indeed, a seventh of Voldemort's soul was withdrawn from a Horcrux to keep him alive (but without a body). Therefore, we can further conclude that it is possible that ONE of the Horcruxes Harry will find in his quest to destory Voldemort ... might contain no soul at all, making it a perfectly normal object.

To address your second question, no one in the Harry Potter world can exist without a soul. Without a soul, a person ceases to exist. This is definitely something Dumbledore addressed in one of his discussions with Harry (sorry for no specific reference).

Voldemort's Horcrux(es) DEFINITELY activated BEFORE Voldemort made the potion that would restore him to his old body.

Top Bottom