• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
The whole middle of this book was dragged on way to long for me.

Middle three hundred pages in a nut shell

Hermoine: Does your Scar hurt Harry?!
Harry: It's Fine Hermoine
Hermoine: You should have learned occlumency!!!!
Harry: No! I want to know where he is!

They copy and pasted that like 30 times
LMAO, ah, don't forget:

Ron: STFU, both of you!!!! :mad:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I finished this last night, so now I can come in here without fear! I must say, though that the
19 years later
thing was the
stupidest
possible ending ever. The chapter prior to that was awesome, the one before that was awesome, too.

But the afore mentioned chapter was SOOO cheezy. The
Potter Kids' names
were ********. Especially Draco's, now that I think of it.

I heard she wrote that part after she finished the first book-- anyone know if it's true?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yup, it's true. That's why it seems so queer compared to the rest of the series. Her writing and tendencies really developed a specific style over the years- that's why it seems so different.

I don't think it was too bad other than the names.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
"We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one.
Now Voldy's gone moldy, so let's have some fun" - Peeves

I enjoyed it. I read it 2 chaps a day in order to make it last. Very cool.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Yup, it's true. That's why it seems so queer compared to the rest of the series. Her writing and tendencies really developed a specific style over the years- that's why it seems so different.

I don't think it was too bad other than the names.
She reworked it pretty drastically, and of course she would rewrite it anyway for the 7th book. Any change of style has to do with
her emphasis on the change of the world and how everyone's happy and safe, which is the main point of the epilogue.
Rowling is a good writer; she's capable of altering her style to fit the mood.

Sir Nels the Slayer

Smash Cadet
Well, I just finished reading it. I thought it was great!

I would like to share some comments and theories.

I have a theory about the very hot room in the Department of Mysteries. It's the room that Harry tried to unlock with Sirius's key, but the key melted.

What if the room was filled with Fiend Fire?

I think it makes a lot more sense than something like the power of "Love". Why would that be kept at the Ministry? Fiend fire is very rare and powerful. It would make perfect sense for the Ministry to hide its existence.

I have a question, though..

What was up with that creepy baby/turd thing when Harry was talking with Dumbledore?

The only thing Dumbledore said about it was that they could not help it. I'm guessing it might be Voldemort.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I have a theory about the very hot room in the Department of Mysteries. It's the room that Harry tried to unlock with Sirius's key, but the key melted.

What if the room was filled with Fiend Fire?

I think it makes a lot more sense than something like the power of "Love". Why would that be kept at the Ministry? Fiend fire is very rare and powerful. It would make perfect sense for the Ministry to hide its existence.
I doubt it was fiend fire. Hermione mentioned it could be vanished with the proper spell so there would be no reason to trap it in there. Well, unless they were keeping it in stock for some dumb reason. I dont think we'll ever know what's in the Department of Mysteries. That's the whole point of it.

What was up with that creepy baby/turd thing when Harry was talking with Dumbledore?

The only thing Dumbledore said about it was that they could not help it. I'm guessing it might be Voldemort.
It was part of Voldemort's soul that died along with Harry when Harry "died".

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
Here are the Horcruxes, as I see them:

1. Slytherin's Ring (done)
2. Riddle's Diary (done)
3. Slytherin's Locket (Mundungus)
4. Hufflepuff's Cup (unknown location..)
5. Ravenclaw's Tiara (Room of Requirement)
6. Nagini (around LV, or in the Riddle House)
7. Harry Potter (BOING!)
..and of course, LV's soul is the final straw.
Heh, sorry to boast here, I can't believe I
correctly identified all the Horcruxes
XD I know, people have guessed the same. But VERY few of this exact combination. Ignoring the locations of course... :p

Anyway, I would like to point out some mishaps that could happen. In other words, I don't think
J.K. Rowling wrote the last parts of the final book too well

The Deathly Hallows... what if they are found? "All is well" certainly Nineteen Years Later, but after that someone's bound to find the Resurrection Stone in the Forbidden Forest (Voldemort and all his Death Eaters made a campfire there for crying out loud). Harry and friends have traveled plenty of times into that place, someone's bound to stumble upon it...Same for the Elder Wand, as long as it exists, Harry should be in danger. The Deathstick has gone on for centuries, its power fully intact, its masters left dead. Who's to say that Harry will take the Wand's power to the grave? ... Just a thought. You might of course not like this because JK isn't writing more Harry Potter books :p

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^ She's making a Potter encyclopedia.

Anybody else feel like a part of their childhood left them after they finished the 7th book?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I felt the last 4 months left me when I finished book 7. I hate books for the fact that there is always stuff you want to know, but don't want to know. Take my favorite novel, House of Leaves. The origin of the House is never revealed, but hinted at. I wanted to know direly where it came from, but no chance of that now.

As for the Deathly Hallows locations, power, etc. Rowling will no doubt address them in the encyclopedia.

With that said, I don't want to even think of it until it's confirmed that she started writing it.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^^^ She's making a Potter encyclopedia.

Anybody else feel like a part of their childhood left them after they finished the 7th book?

I never realized how long ago it was when I read the first book. 6th grade. Holy crap.

I'm starting my sophomore year of college this month, and I just finished the series last month.

I only read the first book once... I should read it again.

Ronike

Smash Ace
The Deathly Hallows... what if they are found? "All is well" certainly Nineteen Years Later, but after that someone's bound to find the Resurrection Stone in the Forbidden Forest (Voldemort and all his Death Eaters made a campfire there for crying out loud). Harry and friends have traveled plenty of times into that place, someone's bound to stumble upon it...Same for the Elder Wand, as long as it exists, Harry should be in danger. The Deathstick has gone on for centuries, its power fully intact, its masters left dead. Who's to say that Harry will take the Wand's power to the grave? ... Just a thought. You might of course not like this because JK isn't writing more Harry Potter books :p
About the Resurrection Stone, its just a cracked stone on a ring? I think. If its still on the ring, there is a slightly higher chance that it will be discovered, but either way, its just a rock... the only people I could see ever possibly finding it are death eaters (all dead or imprisoned or worse) or Harry, since they would be the only people to know where to look and what they would be looking for. The perevell seal was barely noticable according to Harry.

And the Elder Wand, Harry is the most accomplished Duelist of his generation, having outdueled most of the death eaters and Voldemort (albeit thru luck and technicalities rather than skill), I imagine only the greatly foolish would challenge the one who defeated the dark lord. Even then, they'd likely lose as Harry's skills have likely only grown over the years.

Yay for overanalization!

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Mr. Gaw- that was really funny. I haven't read it all, but what I have read has made me laugh hard :)

I thought this was the best

Them talking about how Kreacher changes after harry gives him the locket "And in Whoville that day, Kreacher's heart grew three sizes. And he said, "Yes master, I will find the nasty, tricksy Mundungus and drag him here by the hair!"

I never realized how some of the things in this book kinda go with the lord of the rings. Having to throw horcuxes into mount doom, lmao.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
my child hood has also left me......all those 14 years.

random, but i heard the potter actor got laid by two blondes lol

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone else really disconcerted that Harry DIDN'T kill Voldemort? Harry could never be killed by the Killing Curse because he was the true master of the Elder Wand, and a wand can't attack it's owner. The first time, it just simply killed the Horcrux part of him and the second, it rebounded. Harry, just casting a disarm spell, couldn't have kill Voldemort, but the wand did it or at the very least, Voldemort killed himself. Kinda disappointing now that I think of it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Eh, well Harry's a weak little wizard. He would never have been able to kill him without Dumbledore and insane luck.

I feel sorta bad for Voldy, I mean, he had it all planned out, but luck certainly didn't go his way. :(

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
It wasn't luck. It was love.
>_>

I did like how Voldemort died. Let's all face it, Harry is a scrawny, little, tallentless wizard (compared to Voldie). This was the only way Rowling could have finished the books without making Harry do something completely unbelievable. And in the final scene it really showed how great Harry was as a person and not just as a wizard.

That spoof you posted was great, GAW. plot holes lol

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I like how in the beginning of the series, J.K built Harry to start to look like a great wizard, and like he had a natural prowess for magic, and as things progressed, we find out that he's basically a scrub, but has alot of technicalities going for him. He did some things, but I like that he wasn't an epic archetypal hero.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Agian, what Common said, what really killed Voldemort was love. Harry understood love, and Voldie didn't, so that was his eventual downfall. If Voldemort listened to Dumbledore, he could have taken over the whole world. Kinda scary to think about.

If you haven't read the spoof, do yourself a favor and read it. It is really good.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
He fixed the link.
If Voldemort listened to Dumbledore, he could have taken over the whole world. Kinda scary to think about.
If he had listened to Dumbledore he wouldn't have even tried to take over the world in the first place. :p If you mean Voldemort should have listened to Dumbledore and acknowledge that Harry had some powers he didn't then that would have been completely out of character for him. He had too much pride in himself to admit that. He blamed it all on luck.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
lol, I just watched "Lost In Space" and Gary Oldman(Sirius) plays Dr. Zachary Smith.
Gary Oldman and Alan Rickman are my favorite actors.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
The final battle was really anticlimactic IMHO. I really wanted at LEAST a whole chapter dedicated to Voldemort and Harry fighting instead of...that. I mean the entire fight was over in a page! And to add to it, JKR didn't even do that right. The way it should have been was that Harry defeats Voldemort in the same way and THEN explains how the hell he did it. Because the way it was, I was really expecting something unexpected to happen, NOT that everything happens just as Harry says it would and then the book ends...

Top Bottom