• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
This man better have his SFIII Second Impact/Third Strike themes in this game or I'm going to be disappointed. They fit that new Suzaku Castle stage way too well to not be in it.

I'm an avid fighting game player (been playing since Super Street Fighter II on SNES) so I got the feeling Ryu's most likely going to be the most complicated character to learn if they do this like I think they're going to. Just putting him into Smash won't be enough; it won't do him justice as the definitive fighting game character. Just from the leak video I saw a combo that looked like two normal crouching attacks leading into his Tatsumaki kick, so that makes me think he's going to have unique fighting mechanics to him. It looks like Project M Lucario's combo system with some altered stuff. As SF has emphasis on extended normal attacks that create combos, I see him gaining a standard A combo attack, but not only having the ability to cancel into his B moves on hit, but also be able to do a crouching combo attack from his downtilt+A, like the leak video showed.

So that input could be something like, downtilt+A,A then side+B during the second hit for the Tatsu, just like SF. It'll be a bit like the magic series in Marvel Vs Capcom, Darkstalkers or Street Fighter X Tekken when if you press downtiltA,A,A, he will do his crouching light kick, medium kick, then sweep kick/crouching fierce punch attacks for a full slip knockdown/launcher.

Also, I bet money he's gonna have a super meter system (Little Mac basically gives the concept away). I'm thinking since A+B would overlap with the shortcut Smash commands... and considering he's a true fighting game character trying to balance his normal arts and the easy accessibility and wackiness of Smash, he'll have a Two-section (or maybe 4 to properly represent SFIV) super meter. He builds meter by attacking and when he builds a stock then he's able to use one EX special move. If you fill it up to MAX, then you can unleash his signature Shinku Hadouken super move.

B: Hadouken
Side B: Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku
Up B: Shoryuken
Down B: Focus Attack (Can't be done in mid-air. Hold B to charge, can shield roll out of the charging pose. Full charge attack is instant shield break/dizzy)

...and to do EX moves you have to do traditional inputs from Street Fighter to activate them.

QCF+B (Down, Side+B in quick motion): Shakunetsu Hadouken
DP+B (Side, Down, DiagonalSide+B in quick motion): EX Shoryuken
Down,Down+B: Shinku Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku (I could see QCB+B working as well if they add a timing window buffer, but I think it would just be easier to do it like this since you turn away from your target in Smash when you press Back and that could be too much of a hassle to execute properly.)

Then for his super.

QCF+A+B: Shinku Hadouken (Similar to his SF incarnation, it's the 5-hit, bigger fireball version rather than then MvC Laserbeam. Have it override the standard Smash command once he has full meter [similarly, this could work for his EX moves, too. As long as he doesn't have EX meter, he can still use the A+B smash command, but once he builds a bar, pressing A+B will do Shakunetsu Hadouken, Side+A+B will do Shinku Tatsumaki, and Up+A+B would do EX Shoryuken].)

Final Smash: Shin Shoryuken (Smash Ball only, activated only with B like always, probably will only catch one opponent, be very limited in range (if not pointblank), but do Marth/Lucina Critical Hit levels of damage & hitback, possibly a OHKO [Star KO] or very much KO on very low %.)

That way, he still has the simple inputs for normal smash users to use, but if you want to maximize your use of Ryu you have to do what Street Fighter (and other fighting game) players do in their native series and learn advanced movements and inputs in order to fully utilize his potential. Fits his characterization and hell, his genre perfectly, while still keeping him Smash friendly.
I WANT JAZZY NYC!!!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ken model is definitely not directly ripped from SFIV; I have played this game a lot to say that for sure.. =P.. but, it IS though a slightly refined version; you can say by his face (eyebrows, principally) and the tissue of his gi being much thinner; I actually think he's an AT.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Ken model is definitely not directly ripped from SFIV; I have played this game a lot to say that for sure.. =P.. but, it IS though a slightly refined version; you can say by his face (eyebrows, principally) and the tissue being much thinner; I actually think he's an AT.
I'd love for this to be right, but then I remembered that the Mega Man characters got brand new models. Let's hope.

@ Iblistech Iblistech
Unfortunately it seems that they'll be directly after Mewtwo and Lucas. So it'll still look like a mess.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Ryu is looking mighty fine, I'm looking forward to using him once he releases and I'm desperately hoping for tracks from 3rd Strike.

Congrats Ryu supporters!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'd love for this to be right, but then I remembered that the Mega Man characters got brand new models. Let's hope.

@ Iblistech Iblistech
Unfortunately it seems that they'll be directly after Mewtwo and Lucas. So it'll still look like a mess.
But Mega Man got completely new models for Trophies 'cause he was never in a 3D game before (well, he was in Cannon Spike.. but was only Mega Man himself; and while Roll was in TvC, her model wouldn't fit with the others, I guess) :p

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
But Mega Man got completely new models for Trophies 'cause he was never in a 3D game before (well, he was in Cannon Spike.. but was only Mega Man himself; and while Roll was in TvC, her model wouldn't fit with the others, I guess) :p
Fair point. I guess we'll see tomorrow. :b:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'm glad im not the only person who prefers 3rd strike/2nd impact/new generation music. Everything caters to SF2 too much(other than his design,final smash and maybe his stage).

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
For me, Smash4 already turned in my utopic crossover; Since I was a kid and I got completely crazy with the idea of Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK, I always drew and imagined concepts of characters I loved like Mario, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Ryu all in the same game!;.. I'm a happy child right now! =)
~of course can be better (and I wish other characters too), but in terms of impact on the industry story, there's no other crossover that can beat it; I'm sure!

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Words can't describe just how happy I am right now. Seriously, Ryu's Smash Bros model, how Suzaku Castle looks as a Smash Bros stage, the Ryu's theme remix, and everything else about him is just so amazing! Seeing all of this is making me look forward to seeing his reveal trailer tomorrow (which we can all agree will very likely happen)!

My reaction to today's Ryu leak in a nutshell:

Last edited:

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
Didn't put this in my initial LONG post, and considering its the 'older' Ryu, it probably won't fit as well, but don't forget about his Alpha 3 theme either. Its different, but it ain't no slouch either.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Ahhh so much hype. Anyway, I'm expecting Namco and Sega will start pushing for a second rep soon. Can we say Tekken in Smash? ;3

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ahhh so much hype. Anyway, I'm expecting Namco and Sega will start pushing for a second rep soon. Can we say Tekken in Smash? ;3
Heihachi and Akira are Mii costumes; I dunno.. maybe was the way they found to represent their franchises; I wouldn't mind to have Virtua Fighter and Tekken on Smash, though.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Congrats Ryu fans & supporters. He's looking pretty amazing.

The first time I heard that Ryu sound file leak, I was like "No way!? Ryu might be in Smash!?" I was surprised but in a good way. He's a character that I never really thought about until it hit me I guess. And I do think he'll be a pretty fun fighter. Can't wait!

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I had
Congrats Ryu fans & supporters. He's looking pretty amazing.

The first time I heard that Ryu sound file leak, I was like "No way!? Ryu might be in Smash!?" I was surprised but in a good way. He's a character that I never really thought about until it hit me I guess. And I do think he'll be a pretty fun fighter. Can't wait!
the same disbelief in my mind, but in my heart I wanted to believe!

D

Deleted member

Is Guile's theme confirmed? Its literally half the reason I'm hyped for Ryu.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
TBH, given Sakurai's drive to include female characters, I'm surprised we didn't get Chun Li instead, but there's nothing wrong with Ryu.

Now they just need to release a SF game on the Wii U, right?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Is Guile's theme confirmed? Its literally half the reason I'm hyped for Ryu.
Sadly, no, (and seems that it's actually deconfirmed), we have 6 songs for Suzaku Castle: being remixes from Ryu and Ken themes from SFII, as well the CPS1 originas, and their critical variations.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
TBH, given Sakurai's drive to include female characters, I'm surprised we didn't get Chun Li instead, but there's nothing wrong with Ryu.

Now they just need to release a SF game on the Wii U, right?
Having Chunners instead of Ryu would be as going with Amy instead of Sonic. XD.. but I'm sure Capcom has something in the works; at least a new crossover!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Whats the stage called that is street fighter based?
In game is actually called only "japan", but the name is Suzaku Castle; specifically the sunset variation of the first SFII (something I always wanted to have recreated in SFIV, btw!)

D

Deleted member

Guiles theme is not happening, sorry. :(
R.I.P. the dream. I'll just stick to playing with him for a few days and see if he clicks with me. Those alternate colors are looking real good, but the lack of a Ken or Evil Ryu color upsets me. Its good enough that we got SF in Smash in the first place, but Sakurai couldn't just make my day, could he.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Hopefully we get more stages than just 64 Dreamland and Ryu's stage is on the 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom