• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Omfg for the longest time i had a problem b reversing warios bite consistently and I figured out how to make it work. If you do the timing like a b reverse laser from falco or fox in melee it works all the time. I was trying to do it like a brawl character b reverse. Im pissed it took me this long to figure that out though lol

Agi

Smash Lord
Yep, haha. I'm not sure why it works like that, it's super weird to transition from one method to the other. Glad you figured it out though!

Agi

Smash Lord
What's catching you off guard? There's a lot to the MU.

Generally I try to stay about two Warios away from Peach, far enough away that she can't really threaten but close enough to punish whatever she might throw out, or any turnip pulling she might do. Edgeguarding can be a pain, but BAir gets the job done, eventually. You'll want to get the timing down to roll onto the stage or she'll just knock you off with that parasol. Keep your shield up when in doubt vs. her aerials, float canceled aerial into DSmash can be a killer.

Apart from that, work on your item game, start recovering with her turnips by AGTing them so she loses that option, they move slowly enough. Weak setup attacks like UAir are great for a meaty followup. She dies super early to waft, floaty that she is, and her mobility cannot compare to ours. If there's specific things nagging at you, bring em up.

Here's a set of mine vs. the Peach that was giving me a major headache a few months back, he's more or less switched off the character entirely against me now.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
How can you punish float cancel nair? It's super hard to out space or punish and it has 4 frames of lag. Combine that with a fast jab and stronger cc options and you have a conundrum.

Agi

Smash Lord
I treat it like spacie shield pressure and buffer roll, or angle my shield to eat the DSmash our Peach (always...) follows up with, then punish with whatever OoS option the situation allows for.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes when I use the fart, the fart sound sound doesn't play and Wario flashes white. It seems to happen when Wario is coming out of hitstun. Does anyone know why this happens?

Child Star

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I use the fart, the fart sound sound doesn't play and Wario flashes white. It seems to happen when Wario is coming out of hitstun. Does anyone know why this happens?
You probably ate really spicy that the night before, farts stored under thai are much hotter than normal onces creating a "white heat effect" that plays a sound under the just noticeable threshold and something something something science. Hope this helps!

GeZ

Smash Lord
Someone told me Wario was a really Melee-esque character in P:M, and lo and behold, they were super right, so I'm picking this character up. Already did pretty well with them at my locals today. Just a few questions though, what is Ftilt good for, and what situations should I be looking to Nair instead of Fair, or vice versa? Also is using waft to recover just a situation by situation thing you have to judge, or should it be saved for attacking the majority of the time?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah he's melee high tier status with pm jank thrown in, but to answer your question ftilt is kind of overshadowed by fsmash, which is sad because I love ftilt. Generally it's good to throw it in your spacing game every now and again because you can angle it, as well as delay it to get some extra damage/kb and mess with people's timing, but keep it's usage limited, it's hitbox isn't that great and it has decent commitment to it.

Nair is an amazing move, frame 4, connecting both hits yeilds 15%, has a pretty decent hitbox and it has one of the most cancerous angles on a move ever. You should normally use in out of shield situations, pressuring shields, and edge guard situations. Fair is pretty much how you setup your aerial stings and filler in strings. Cause of how fast it is and how you can drift while using it. It's pretty decent in spacing, but it's hitbox doesn't actually cover most of his foot, so you'll have to use it's speed and wario's drift to get the best out of it.

You get a half charge waft at about 30 seconds, and full charge at about a minute, so honestly you don't have to be too sparing in it's usage. Wario doesn't suffer in the slightest in the fear of killing his opponent, so choosing to use it to recover sometimes is something you definitely need to consider.

Last edited:

moremichaelnow

Smash Rookie
Nair is an amazing move, frame 3, connecting both hits yeilds 15%, has a pretty decent hitbox and it has one of the most cancerous angles on a move ever. You should normally use in out of shield situations, pressuring shields, and edge guard situations. Fair is pretty much how you setup your aerial stings and filler in strings. Cause of how fast it is and how you can drift while using it. It's pretty decent in spacing, but it's hitbox doesn't actually cover most of his foot, so you'll have to use it's speed and wario's drift to get the best out of it,
This. I've been watching tourney matches a ton lately and I can't help but be dumbfounded when people rarely Nair. It's the ****; OoS Nair can cross-up and fade away, Dtilt>Nair (or buffer roll after Dtilt if unsafe), It's probably his best move off-stage too, imo.

Fair is a superb move, I try to squeeze it in between bigger hits. Bad Mario's Ken-ish combo is so satisfying.
Do you think the hitboxes should match the animation? You could probably fit another hitbox (like one on his finger in Dtilt) on his elf shoes.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
This. I've been watching tourney matches a ton lately and I can't help but be dumbfounded when people rarely Nair. It's the ****; OoS Nair can cross-up and fade away, Dtilt>Nair (or buffer roll after Dtilt if unsafe), It's probably his best move off-stage too, imo.

Fair is a superb move, I try to squeeze it in between bigger hits. Bad Mario's Ken-ish combo is so satisfying.
Do you think the hitboxes should match the animation? You could probably fit another hitbox (like one on his finger in Dtilt) on his elf shoes.
I don't know if Fair needs a better hitbox. with how good Wario's aerial mobility is, Fair works fine as a spacing tool, poke, combo tool.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
It certainly doesn't need a better hitbox. Like GeZ said, wario's aerial mobility is good, the best in the game actually, so he doesn't need good hitboxes on his aerials. Remember that interpolation, the dragging of hitboxes, is a thing, and with a character like wario, it's very effective. I even think that the bair hitbox buff was kinda unwarranted, but that's another can of worms I'd rather not open.

TricksterNo1

Smash Rookie
Can I get some help on starting strings and combos. I usually just come in with a full hopped fair or Dtilt. I can usually keep it going when I get a combo but I have trouble starting them. Also how do you guys land your dairs? I'm having trouble finding ways to incorporate them into my play.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Can I get some help on starting strings and combos. I usually just come in with a full hopped fair or Dtilt. I can usually keep it going when I get a combo but I have trouble starting them. Also how do you guys land your dairs? I'm having trouble finding ways to incorporate them into my play.
Don't full hop in the neutral unless you want to get bopped :v
Dair is an aight combo starter, but can be kinda risky because it's high commitment. Fair, Dtilt, Nair, Uair, Utilt, can all be good combo starters. It's more just knowing how to operate the character and find openings. Wario has really good aerial mobility, so try using short hopped aerials more. Stuff like Fair poke > fadeaway, or crossup Nair.

TricksterNo1

Smash Rookie
A few more questions.

1. How are you guys handling nuetral? Just weaving in and out with fairs and nairs?

2. What kind of options does Wario have in the way of movement? I understand his wavedash isn't great, but does he have any cool or useful movement capabilities that can trick people up?

3.Dairs. how and when to use them. I get beat by shield with it a lot and even when I hit it (rare occasion) what kind of followups can I get?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:

Child Star

Smash Ace
Using platforms with side b gives you more leverage on their recovery and usually connecting side b off stage is pretty mucj a stock for them. Youll probably just use warios air movement to generate any unique trickiness.

As far as dair goes you need to be mixing in raw bite if they are over commiting to shield when you jump. If you notice that they are trying to attack you can dair and combo from bite out of it. The people i play dont tend to lock down an choose to move out of the way of the dair/bite.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this goes here, but...
I have a good idea for a new Wario down special move. I love the character and I don't think that the Waft represents him well. Here's my idea:
This would be easy to create, easy to animate, but still unique.
Laugh it Off!
In Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3, when Wario catches on fire, he burns down, rises from the ashes, and simply laughs like nothing happened.
In Project M, Wario would laugh for about as long as his laugh taunt's voice clip, with a fair amount of lag, similar to that of a counter. However, when attacked during the active frames, Wario will take no damage, but will take reversed stun. Here's what I mean:
Weak stun becomes launch
Medium stun becomes heavy stun
Heavy stun becomes medium stun
Launch becomes weak stun
When used incorrectly(spammed), an opponent can simply jab Wario and get a free smash attack.
Used correctly, Wario can laugh off a smash attack and follow up with, say, a shoulder barge.
This will give him a valuable, situational option against projectiles without giving him the ability to charge through them and down-air into Waft. I'm not sure if this is an unbalanced idea, but it surely seems more useful than the Waft.
Thoughts?

A few more questions.

3.Dairs. how and when to use them. I get beat by shield with it a lot and even when I hit it (rare occasion) what kind of followups can I get?

Thanks for all the help guys!
I use it as a punish option for a readable attack. As for followups, you can follow up with an up special(perfectly safe if landed), a waft, any aerial, and probably an aerial shoulder barge.
As for movement, the most obvious thing is Wario's insane aerial movement. You can easily provoke an opponent with that kind of speed. As for neutral, I generally tend to use fairs a ton because they have very little lag when L-cancelled -- definitely not enough for an opponent to shield grab you. Shoulder barge is another good option, but it's also very risky. I tend to use it and jump over opponents instead to put me in a good position for any aerial.

Last edited:

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, adding another counter like move to the game doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Child Star

Smash Ace
Youd take a down b that kills your loved ones over fart? Gl buddy sometimes i fart accidentally while trying to ff bite

Last edited:

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
If they replace his down-B, they'd most likely do it with an attack that works almost exactly the same as the Waft. Perhaps it could be the Wario Blast, like some people have suggested.

But before they do that, the PMDT should focus on redoing his animations.

Last edited:

Anime

Smash Journeyman
So I'm not saying this should be put in, or would even be good, but what if Wario got more floaty the longer he charged his fart. You know, from the pent up gas?

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
That'll just add more emphasis to an attack that already should have no emphasis at all. Besides, it could mess up how he plays. It sounds great for Brawl Minus though.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Ayy I wanna main wario. How do I wah?

Last edited:
Top Bottom