• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
A random question. Is Wario's down air a spike or meteor? I never really play him, but I was messing around with him a little bit and loved basically cannonballing my enemies into oblivion

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I did not know Wario's dair was like Falcon knee or Peach bomber and had a taunt ability to it. Gonna have to see what that is. I don't see me using it in a match though.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I can not tell you how many times I've confused my opponent into thinking I was using fart when doing this. Abate thought about playing wario because of the shenanigans I was objecting him too lol.

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
guys, what are some good ways to approach? I usually find myself doing a side b then double jumping and doing either a falling nair or a down air or a neutral b.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Full hop fair -> stuff

Can fall down with a bite, another fair etc.

Also empty hop grab

Turazrok

Smash Master
Yeah but if you are doing that you can mix in b-reverse bite, so it's also pretty solid.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Jumping in with fair and nair are best options. You can then mix that up with bite and dair. Some characters are better are dealing with you in the air so you can mix in careful ground spacing with dtilts, grab whiff punish with a DACUS if they give that to you. As you said sometimes throwing out SB into jump has it's use. Spacing with bairs is solid at precents it will lead into an edgeguard.

Yung Smothers

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThineMajorTom
3DS FC
5172-1445-0178
Full hop fair -> stuff

Can fall down with a bite, another fair etc.

Also empty hop grab
It's hard for me to combo with wario aside from stuff like fullhopfair into neutralb, or just down throwing and then side-b'ing them off the stage. I feel like combo potential is really hard with Wario, but maybe it's just the fact that i've only been playing for a month

Turazrok

Smash Master
It's hard for me to combo with wario aside from stuff like fullhopfair into neutralb, or just down throwing and then side-b'ing them off the stage. I feel like combo potential is really hard with Wario, but maybe it's just the fact that i've only been playing for a month
Yeah it's probably that.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Indeed. I suggest watching Strong Bad videos to get an idea of what Wario's punish game can look like. Wario combo like no other he ain't Pit or Mario but can get strong punishes none the less.

Yung Smothers

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThineMajorTom
3DS FC
5172-1445-0178
Indeed. I suggest watching Strong Bad videos to get an idea of what Wario's punish game can look like. Wario combo like no other he ain't Pit or Mario but can get strong punishes none the less.
I still play a pretty good Wario, it's just that it's extremely hard for me to get more than like 3-4 hits in a row. The Wario Side B is the move of the gods. By the by, thanks for the recommendations, and my Wario can only grow through this process.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
His upthrow is good already. I would much rather keep it than have a piledriver.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
what about a RAR bair? Some random wario in my state was telling me about that but it seems hella predictable.
The rar jump makes your opponent into thinking you're going to use bair. I would assume the same thing since I personally like using rar bairs to push away CC heavy characters at lower percents. Once they see that, they will start blocking your attempts in advance, which is where bite comes in.

Kaboom_

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoKaboom
3DS FC
3926-5807-0971
I can't seem to b reverse bite. I just drift backwards while still biting forwards. I'm assuming its a normal 3 frame window to reverse the control stick?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Can someone please post an image of the grab box for bite. I'm very interested in seeing it's actual size, especially how big it is behind him.

Angry Squirrel

Smash Rookie
What up Waaahrriors, lookin' at Smashboards again after a local PM tournament. I did better than I thought! 4th place. Beat my friend's shiek for that place in losers, it was so tight - CP warioware and win, then again on Lylat. Also got to play a Wario ditto on WW of all places. Heh! Just a small town tourney though, only really people from local university of any note. Still a long way to go! Some great info in this board!

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I somehow forgot about the moveset data thread, thanks ORlLy. Goodness both of those grab boxes are janky, explains a lot of nonsensical moments when people teleport from behind wario to his mouth.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Aren't those outdated though? That thread is from 2.5 and in 2.6 his bite box got buffed to be bigger.

Angry Squirrel

Smash Rookie
I dunno, but either way we can find out the true size once that debug mode of 3.5 is out. I don't think I saw any vectors on the hitboxes though, that's the only catch. (I looked at ORLy's moveset images for a time before realizing the lines were the default angle vectors, hahaha)

ECTO

Smash Rookie
I love to analyse and look at character design a lot, and I have to say, props to Strong Bad! Wario is one of the coolest designed characters, with lots of strengths and but with also lots of drawbacks. I read that you could cancel his Side-B in earlier versions? I glad they removed that, I like risk and reward, nobody should be completely safe.

I find Wario is the perfect model of what a character in PM should be. I don't want to bash on specific characters, but some of the cast seem to have certain skill sets simply because they had them in previous games, which makes me turn my head a bit, design wise. I love the re-haul of Wario's playstyle.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
So I noticed a bizarre but minor bug on DL64. I shoulder bashed off the left ledge and I got caught slightly below the ledge in the SB animation for like half a second and then the move would continue as normal from that spot. This happened to me twice.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Idk from my own testing, and my observations of other players, I'm fairly confident in my assumption that bite, aerial and grounded, has grab boxes unfit for the move. So I hope its addressed before the release of 3.5, because it's honestly the one thing in his kit that seriously needs adjusting.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Unfit in the sense that it doesn't match at all with whats going on in the animation. There should be absolutely no reason for him to able to grab from behind with bite, especially since wario has soooo much aerial mobility. A little disjoint in front is acceptable. Wario's mouth gets pretty big, so there can be some wiggle room with the placement with of the grab box.

What I would do to the move? I'd just keep the grab boxes more centered in his mouth. That would pretty much clean up any issues with the move. Though if I had my way about it, I would also implement the option to do multiple pummel bites, just to give the player another option from bite....and plus I really miss being able to just eat the shiz out of people for a good percent lol.

Last edited:

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
Unfit in the sense that it doesn't match at all with whats going on in the animation. There should be absolutely no reason for him to able to grab from behind with bite, especially since wario has soooo much aerial mobility. A little disjoint in front is acceptable. Wario's mouth gets pretty big, so there can be some wiggle room with the placement with of the grab box.

What I would do to the move? I'd just keep the grab boxes more centered in his mouth. That would pretty much clean up any issues with the move. Though if I had my way about it, I would also implement the option to do multiple pummel bites, just to give the player another option from bite....and plus I really miss being able to just eat the shiz out of people for a good percent lol.
I miss a lot with bite because I keep spacing it thinking his teeth will grab, but you basically have to be inside someone to bite them.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
The weird thing is that I don't think it's disjointed too much in front of him, at least with the aerial version. So it's understandable that it happens like that.

Top Bottom