• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
"stop playing such a gimmicky character"
That means your play group sucks at smash. My play group used to do this, but I know how to play every character well - so it wouldn't change a thing if I switched or stayed. The more you play the character, the more your play group will learn to play around them. If they aren't improving, then they just aren't trying to better themselves or are at such a low level that you can't do anything for them.
"Side B is so broken if He didn't have it he'd be terrible".
If any character didn't have their signature move, they would be terrible.
They then accuse me of SPAMMING his shoulder when I'm just using it either as movement (to maybe get a tomahawk out with his Bite) or using it when It's guaranteed (i.e. edgeguarding).
Spamming should give the non-spammer an advantage as they can now reliably predict what you are going to do. If they don't know how to deal with it, introduce them to shoulder buttons or perhaps any aerial attack. The hitbox on Wario's SB does not cover his head except at max distance.
It upsets me that people would accuse everyone's favorite fat plumber of being gimmicky.
Wario isn't a plumber.

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Wario isn't a plumber.
But he looks like one therefore he is one right? :B

I didn't know what else to categorize him as.

Treasure Hunter? Golden God? Giver of the Cold Shoulder? Lord and Saviour?

Dunno. Either way he's a boss.

EDIT: Also, completely off topic, which shirt should I get made? I want one.

http://imgur.com/a/G6ho1

Last edited:

Turazrok

Smash Master
There is a handy dandy matchup thread.

Though to be fair nobody uses it, board is kinda dead.

I blame it on ORLY playing link.

Last edited:

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
Side b is... broken? Someone should've told me, I seem to get beat by every single thing that touches me during it. Wario is hardly gimmicky compared to how some of the characters can be (lookin' at you, fsmarth)

Turazrok

Smash Master
I'm really tired of people misusing the word gimmick in the discussion between P:M and melee.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Well at max distance the hitbox is pretty decent in size, and is a little more active than the animation suggests...but to say it's broken, well that's just plain scrubby lol. I'd admit to it being kinda janky, but it's not that bad.

Also I'm quite taken with the second shirt choice :love:

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wario's SideB is like, an okay move. Anytime I hear someone say it's broken I Just laugh.

0RLY

We postin Wario swag now? http://i.imgur.com/nDpDf2y.jpg

@ Cuban Pete Cuban Pete I'm quite fond of the 2nd Wario shirt.

Vs. MK I have to switch chars. I am currently using Samus for the MU because MK has no way of destroying projectiles except with dash attack. This forces MK to jump, and MK is much slower in the air than on the ground, which makes his usual aggressive play much more easier to deal with. Link could work too, but Samus feels safer and easier. Once I play the matchup enough, I'll be able to explain in more detail.

Vs. Sonic The moment you see a spindash though, SB right into it. You will win every time and force Sonic mains to stop spinning. Preemptive nairs should stuff most other approaches. Sonic is still fast though, so you can't miss a single beat. You are also pretty easy combo food for Sonic while Sonic isn't too easy to combo due to his spring escapes. So I play as safely as possible, turning Wario into a brick wall.

I use Link very rarely. Only if there's money involved and if I can't figure out a way to play around their stuff with Wario. Link allows me to play the match at my pace without being too tech skill heavy. I think Link is an excellent secondary for Wario.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Just realized my CRT has a vcr.
Time to test it out.
#VHS

EDIT:
After recording Wario + Falcon on Green Hill Zone with my favorite song I have determined that there isn't much difference in tape speed quality.
At least as far as I care. Really hard to tell the diff between SP vs LP. SLP is just a bit fuzzy.
Now to figure out how to transfer VHS records to my computer. : P

Last edited:

Turazrok

Smash Master
Man someone on reddit posted this "Give Wario a mechanic similar to Kirby's UpB + Side, except for Wario you do his DownB and then mash the stick to the side - instead of farting, he opens his mouth as if to Bite but instead BURPS, having the same effect in every way as Waft except horizontally. Just as with the fart, it sends you the opposite direction of the blast." as a joke.... but man I would have way too much fun with this lol

I can only dream ;_;7

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
Man someone on reddit posted this "Give Wario a mechanic similar to Kirby's UpB + Side, except for Wario you do his DownB and then mash the stick to the side - instead of farting, he opens his mouth as if to Bite but instead BURPS, having the same effect in every way as Waft except horizontally. Just as with the fart, it sends you the opposite direction of the blast." as a joke.... but man I would have way too much fun with this lol

I can only dream ;_;7
This would actually be really cool. I have immense trouble with horizontal recovery so.... PMBR pls?

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
Im getting into PM after a decade long run at Melee and Wario is a character that I have meshed with quite well in my practice sessions as of late.
I havent had much time to look up vids or basic guides but one thing I have been wanting to understand is the mechanic behind Warios F-Tilt.
It seems that sometimes there is longer start up vs. some interactions with the move.
Does anyone have the information about the tilt so it can be used more effectively?

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
I havent had much time to look up vids or basic guides but one thing I have been wanting to understand is the mechanic behind Warios F-Tilt.
It seems that sometimes there is longer start up vs. some interactions with the move.
Does anyone have the information about the tilt so it can be used more effectively?
You can hold down A to charge it up.
It can also be directed High Middle and Low. Like Falcons FTilt. I'm not exactly sure if the Low shield stabs.

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Initially I thought it was a double-tap method.
Can't wait to get home and get some practice in.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Hold the :GCA: button down, and he'll wind up for longer, but also doing more damage relative to the duration of the wind up. If you hold it for the max duration, it does 16%. As opposed to the 14% percent it does normally.

Edit - Damn it, got ninja'd hard lol

Last edited:

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Yeah while we're on the topic of the wind up I primarily use it to edgeguard blatant ledge get ups. That and spot dodges.

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
How do I deal with Samus's crouch cancelling ability? Without extensive testing me and my practice buddy learned that she can crouch cancel (I mean entirely cancel the knockback on the move) just about all of wario's moveset upwards of 110%. Feels impossible to get past unless I get a short hop shoulder bash when she's attempting to CC some kind of approach.

0RLY

Bite to beat shields, CC, & spot dodge. I can play games using pretty much just Bite and Nair.

Angled ftilt I pretty much only use to poke underneath the ledge. This is rare, since Wario's nair is usually better at nailing recoveries. For example, G&W is a good target for ftilt since his up-b will beat your nair.

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
Bite to beat shields, CC, & spot dodge. I can play games using pretty much just Bite and Nair.

Angled ftilt I pretty much only use to poke underneath the ledge. This is rare, since Wario's nair is usually better at nailing recoveries. For example, G&W is a good target for ftilt since his up-b will beat your nair.
I always forget to use bite... Gotta start implementing that.

When I know my opponent won't be able to/just won't sweetspot the ledge, I dair half on the ledge half not so that they get punished by the spike but I land on the stage guaranteed. It's one of those things I'm sure everyone knows, but is actually really useful for early kills, especially against Roy and Marth players.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Tink?

Warioware is an amazing stage and I wish people would stop banning it against me.

The music is top tier.

Last edited:

0RLY

I have yet to be so fortunate against wolf, but yes. Whenever I'm not nairing the spacies, dair will also do the trick. It's riskier not because of the potential SD, but because of the adjustment in angles can mess with your timing. I would rather hit them with a nair while they charge their up-bs no matter how far away they are, then just fart+recover. Camp for 30 seconds, then do it again.

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
I have yet to be so fortunate against wolf, but yes. Whenever I'm not nairing the spacies, dair will also do the trick. It's riskier not because of the potential SD, but because of the adjustment in angles can mess with your timing. I would rather hit them with a nair while they charge their up-bs no matter how far away they are, then just fart+recover. Camp for 30 seconds, then do it again.
Am I the only one that has trouble recovering with fart at max level fartage? I feel like I hang too long and then fall too far.

0RLY

Max fart and medium fart aren't very different in terms of height gain. Max fart is only good in very specific locations relative to the ledge to sweetspot the ledge due to that super long hang time. If I were you, I would used medium farts as often as possible to avoid having to use the full fart.

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
Max fart and medium fart aren't very different in terms of height gain. Max fart is only good in very specific locations relative to the ledge to sweetspot the ledge due to that super long hang time. If I were you, I would used medium farts as often as possible to avoid having to use the full fart.
I often use medium fart for Uair juggle kills (once they get high enough a sweetspot kills really early) but sometimes full fart is really good kills.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I often use medium fart for Uair juggle kills (once they get high enough a sweetspot kills really early) but sometimes full fart is really good kills.
Does that work well? Using fart to elevate yourself to get a attack in.

0RLY

Mario is really versatile. However, a lot of Mario players unknowingly play on auto pilot. This makes them very predictable. Many will just do aerial into jab into grab/dsmash in neutral. As long as you know what they're going to do, you should have the advantage. If you shield an aerial, you're probably going to want to wait for the inevitable jab before following through with a sidestep or roll or up-b.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Hype for 3.5. I bet Wario gets the good end of the stick in it. I don't see him recovery getting changed and he has great edgeguard tools so worse recovery shall be great for us.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Hype for 3.5. I bet Wario gets the good end of the stick in it. I don't see him recovery getting changed and he has great edgeguard tools so worse recovery shall be great for us.
No way they'll ever nerf fart. Projectile kills are too useful to take a him imho.
I doubt UpB would get nerfed unless they increased the damage.

why is mario such a pain in the *** and how do I make him less of a pain in the ***?
Projectile + Cape == **** on Wario's neutral game

Can't mindlessly side B into them because of the cape. Especially when SideB recovering.

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
Don't typically post over here, but I'm pretty sure they were referring to Wario when they were talking about characters that got nerfed too hard. I think he's only going to get better in this game (maybe getting that old aerial side b back?)

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Everything that got nerfed about wario was completely understandable, so I don't exactly see him getting anything else. They might take away his cancel out of side b, but that's probably the only change he's getting.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I like Wario's design is fantastic as is. He really did not need a fart that killed at 30% or another safe option from Shoulder bash. Wario is a design other characters should aspire to.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
His design is pretty tight, imo there are a couple things janky in his design, but that's just me nitpicking. He's definitely one of the more reasonable characters in this game.

Top Bottom