• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GwJumpan's [Near Useless] AT's

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
ATs: J-Hopping

I didn't hear about this anywhere, but when you're being launched and you know you won't be killed, you can press the jump button and use your Dair and get sort of a lofty type move. It's situational, but it helped me out in a few matches. I was playing a Snake and he went up for a Uair after launching me up and I dodged it and hit the Dair for a free 12%. But other than that, it's really good for mindgames.

Thoughts?

Links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNw3m5lMtOw

I am officially dubbing this J-Hopping

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
like, you know how when you do an attack when you're being hit with upward momentum? Like, if you jump then do a dair while still in the momentum, you'll do sort of a hovering dair. Sort of like Kirby, DDD, Jiggs. Again, it's very situational, but it works to punish predictable players who tend to follow you up after an attack. It gives you some extra spacing in there.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yea, basically that. You guys should try it out and tell me if I'm describing it right.

Directions:
Get hit with sufficient vertical momentum that you won't die
Jump then immediately Dair
???
Profit

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Only if ??? stands for selling my jelly beans to Santa's Elves.

Yeah I tried it out already by the way it seems like something that is worth trying on some situations. It can't hurt and it sure seems like a good thing to do against people who like to Follow up with U-airs.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Eh, actually it can hurt. I tried doing this a few months after the game came out, and it worked sometimes, but most of the time I was getting punished in the lag so I stopped. I mostly use fair after getting hit now because it's the quickest way to end the hit lag.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, the point isn't to end the lag, the point is to get out of the way of predictable follow-ups.

Sudai

Stuff here
You could do that by just double jumping or air dodging...something that puts you in a better position to punish or manuver away. This tech is almost as useless as the Angry Stomp.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yea, I'm not really saying it to use it a lot, but I've used it as a mindgame in matches, and using it occasionally does throw them off if they don't know what it is.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's different..This way is faster and the dair hits at a different time. That, and they're used in two different scenarios.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I was thinking more of like Near KO situations, like jumping out of the vulnerability and canceling with a Dair.

Whenever What I'm seeing though is coming out of the hitstun with a jump, but still at the point where you don't have the momentum altering effects yet.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
The floatiness is just a result of the games physics. Normal momentum-changing moves like dair and bair don't alter momentum when you are being knocked back by an attack. As a result, they get wierd lofty motions. I find this useful with bair (on occasion) This "AT" is the best way to find out how punishable ROBs dair really is.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well yea, we know why it happens as most AT's are a result of Brawl's physics. I'm just saying that throwing it out occasionally isn't a bad idea and can save your hide sometimes.

icedragon-

Smash Rookie
I'm getting a mental image but I feel it's sort of off. Please provide a video if you can.

Top Bottom