• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guns are f******broken.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Sixteen in the clip and one in the hole
Nate Dogg is about to make some bodies turn cold
Now they droppin' and yellin'
It's a tad bit late
Nate Dogg and Warren G had to regulate
without guns we wouldnt have this quote. or the song.

Thats the best arguement I have for guns, lol.

UncleSam

Smash Master
yea but without swords we wouldn't have everyone's favorite item in brawl, teh beam sword! 100k at 1tz aw3s0mn3ss!

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Then we make lightsabers. Owned.

Edit: Wow, I'm really stupid. Double post.
You don't add "owned" to your own post and hope people think it's legit lmao

Why would you choose an example from a universe where there's a gun that can kill a planet

UncleSam

Smash Master

Why would you choose an example from a universe where there's a gun that can kill a planet
you mean laser beam right?
moar egyption layzer b3ams

Dual Kirby

Smash Apprentice
yea but without swords we wouldn't have everyone's favorite item in brawl, teh beam sword! 100k at 1tz aw3s0mn3ss!
i agree....but when are we gonna get past guns and swords and start using gunblades?

|RK|

Smash Marketer

But everyone thinks it's legit, lol.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Yeah, myths about swords fighters are that. myths

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I want all of you to learn what an exhibition shooter is.

People can do crazy **** with guns, the amount of practice and what not is way bigger than that of a sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5uHt4AwYb4

Tom Knapp is insane.
Very similar things can be done with swords. But hitting someone with a gun requires nothing more than accuracy. Killing someone with a sword still takes more than just accuracy. You need to be able to close the distance and make the blow while still avoiding their responses.There's no benefit to maintaining spacing and finding good openings with a gun.

Oh, I wasn't talking about rapiers. Yes, a rapier duel is pretty cool duel, i meant like, medieval era. Rapiers weren't used too often in battles, and when they were there weren't really individual duals going on. I think fencing is cool, I took a class in it once a really long time ago, I've always wanted to do it again.

In medieval era, before Rapiers existed, swords pretty much became lumps, which created heavier armor, which was then discarded due to gunpowder, and because of the lack of armor swords became narrower and thinner, which wasn't what I was talking about since honestly when most people think sword they think longsword or something similar. In medieval times, a "soldier" was pretty much just given an area to fight. His orders where pretty much "hold", "charge", "take prisoners", "take no prisoners" (which rarely happened since prisoners would be ransomed for money and every soldier wanted money), and "retreat".
Fair enough, but most people thinking of swords will think of rapiers and the like. Later weapons of higher quality steel and better balance.

Not to mention a soldier's weaponry has never been good anyway.

BMunich16

Smash Apprentice
Ten bucks says you have never fired a gun or picked up a sword in your life, shooting a gun is not that easy. Without guns how would people protect themselves? If a trained swordsman attacked people they would be helpless but a gun against a gun, people have a chance. Guns all though most people refuse to believe this, save lives

UncleSam

Smash Master
Ten bucks says you have never fired a gun or picked up a sword in your life, shooting a gun is not that easy. Without guns how would people protect themselves? If a trained swordsman attacked people they would be helpless but a gun against a gun, people have a chance. Guns all though most people refuse to believe this, save lives
I've done both

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
What would save even MORE lives is not trying to kill each other in the first place.

Alternatively, you could sort your problems out the manly way, with your fists. Follow the laws of nature there, the strong survive and the weak perish. Thus, the natural order is maintained. Nature aint a communist believe that.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Quoted for ignorance.

You need more practice for a gun? Are you kidding? It takes tons of practice just to be able to wield a sword intelligently--much less to be able to do crazy things with it. And who cares what crazy things you can do with a gun? The point remains the same. A 500 lb. guy who has never exercised a day in his life can still point a bullet at your head and kill you. Game over. No extra lives.
Swords are more physically demanding, that doesn't mean they require more skill or practice.

Dont call me ignorant and back your point up with ****ty logic. Guns are better than swords, that doesn't mean they take less skill, it means they're more effective at their ****ing job.

@Uncle Same-Holy crap get out of my head I was about to show that video as well.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Swords are more physically demanding, that doesn't mean they require more skill or practice.

Dont call me ignorant and back your point up with ****ty logic. Guns are better than swords, that doesn't mean they take less skill, it means they're more effective at their ****ing job.

@Uncle Same-Holy crap get out of my head I was about to show that video as well.

wait which one? the fastest gun? yeah that one is awesome. It looks more like a turret than a gun

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Also I forgot to mention that in war skill with a sword was not the deciding factor. If you really believe people turned away armies bigger than them solely with skill you've been watching too much 300 or some anime I dont care about.

War is about strategy, and how well you pull it off. The spartans nailed this AND skill. You think the Koreans repelled the Japanese in the battle of Haengju who outnumbered them 10 to 1 with bloody swords? Hell ****ing no, they pulled out 40 Hwachas, watched as exploding arrows rained down on their enemy, and laughed.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I hear Life+ is coming out soon. We've got some good gene-hackers working on it right now.

Though seriously, very good blog here. In terms of combat it always comes down to how you use what you have. A gunfight is not fought the same way a swordfight is. Cover's essential, distance and good aim is decisive. There's just as much effort put into a gun battle as there is any other battle - provided the combatants are well prepared. When it comes to random muggings or hit-and-runs, guns are horribly unbalanced.

Maybe we should have more dark narrow corridors so knife-fighters stand a better chance.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I hear Life+ is coming out soon. We've got some good gene-hackers working on it right now.

Though seriously, very good blog here. In terms of combat it always comes down to how you use what you have. A gunfight is not fought the same way a swordfight is. Cover's essential, distance and good aim is decisive. There's just as much effort put into a gun battle as there is any other battle - provided the combatants are well prepared. When it comes to random muggings or hit-and-runs, guns are horribly unbalanced.

Maybe we should have more dark narrow corridors so knife-fighters stand a better chance.
Knife fighters definitely need a good counterpick. Knives are pretty much garbage tier. They're pretty much tied with bare hands.

Geist

Smash Master
To counter the argument of this thread, I remind everyone how many JRPG characters can block bullets with swords. I suggest everyone learns how to do this because it's obviously the next step in the war metagame.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Guns = Brawl

Swords = Melee
How does this make any sense?

Melee is better than Brawl and takes more skill. Guns are better than swords and take more skill to use really well, technically any dumb *** can kill you with one but I have no formal training with my tanto and I'm sure I could easily take any un armed fool down with one. I mean I did with a butter knife before, tanto's gotta be even more effective.

UncleSam

Smash Master
To counter the argument of this thread, I remind everyone how many JRPG characters can block bullets with swords. I suggest everyone learns how to do this because it's obviously the next step in the war metagame.
Oh of course, well be taking a step back and two steps forward

Proverbs

Smash Lord

Hahah, I added owned for fun. Not supposed to be taken seriously <.<;;

And Star Wars is a work of fiction --; There's no gun that could destroy the world.

Halaster

Smash Ace
What would save even MORE lives is not trying to kill each other in the first place.

I like this option, unfortunately a significant population of the human race seems to prefer profits and power instead, or, even more unfortunately, see no other alternative in order to survive and provide for themselves any sort of "decent living" whatever they may think that is (and perhaps, given society, they may have no other alternative at that moment).

Alternatively, you could sort your problems out the manly way, with your fists. Follow the laws of nature there, the strong survive and the weak perish. Thus, the natural order is maintained. Nature aint a communist believe that.
Unfortunately nature ain't... But according to the laws of nature as you just described them wouldn't it be only logical that the "strong" are those who are prepared to take advantage of the tools that give a decisive edge? Man lives by his ingenuity and his tools. It is natural that those with the strength of modern weaponry would win against those weaker weapons of a bygone age...

As much as I would like to say I'd be honorable, I'd rather have a decisive edge so that I'd get what I wanted to happen, especially if lives are on the line. Screw honor when a human life is involved, unfortunately this does lead to the conflict because the other guy is alive too... which sometimes seems to be forgotten.

(Deleted section almost immediately after posting...)

I'm such a cynic... and a radical... I apologize, my rant is now over.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=1148]

I swear, if the next update in human evolution doesn't give us the ability to dodge bullets, or at least let us absorb more bullets like we SHOULD HAVE DONE A LONG TIME AGO, I'm never getting reincarnated on earth again. F*ck it. If real life is going to be this broken, hopefully the planet of samurai fire-breathing penguins in the 9001th dimension will be more balanced.
Eh, Guns are just a part of every day life, now. In time, humans might actually evolve to withstand such horrible damage done to them. I mean, it's classic darwinism. The strong will survive, the weak will die.

And guns can be used honorably, too. Duels were a big thing back in the day.

*Slaps with a glove*
Pistols at dawn.
*At dawn*
TAKE TWENTY STEPS.
TURN.
SHOOT.

Pure skillz.

In other news, Hol Horse had a gun and he sucked pretty bad lol.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
i was gonna say that ._.

but seriously, would it be mathematically possible? the fastest a human can react to something is .10 seconds so do the math

Speeds fluctuate and depend upon several factors.

Gravity makes a projectile fall toward the earth while in flight. The projectile's size, shape, and the air density affect the speed by which it travels. Air resistance slows the speed of a bullet and reduces the distance by which it travels.

The velocity of a bullet is given in feet per second (fps) in the United States. The 0.22 rimfire cartridge, which has a very small powder charge, sends its bullets on their way at between 370 m/s and 460 m/s. Cartridges in rifles -- centerfire cartridges -- propel their bullets at a much faster rate. The 0.220 Swift, which drives a very small bullet at over 1220 m/s, is the cartridge with the highest velocity.

Shotgun pellets vary very little in velocity. The slowest speed at 335 m/s, while the fastest travel at close to 427 m/s.

i dont know/cant find the speed of the fastest sword swing speed, however i do know it is in the hundreds of mph range.

so if a bullet travels at 427 miles a second at its fastest then one would have to anticipate the firing of the gun and the bullets trajectory then move the sword into proper position before/as the gun is fired, the AS part oof that statement may not work.

In short, reaction to a bullet is impossible and to block one you must anticipate it and predict it.

Top Bottom