• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gringos in Peru 2014

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
How did Boom do in Peru? Who was his best character? His worst? What players did he do especially bad against? What match-ups did he do well in?

All these and more are questions that can be answered with DATA!

(I couldn't figure out how to do the spoiler thing but if someone tells me how I'll edit this post.)

Some interesting takeaways (does not include tournament matches):
  • Across all of Peru, Boom had an almost exactly 50% win record and was up by a cumulative 0.0 stocks!
  • Boom was actually dead even with Stradon, since Stradon racked up kills and wins with his Pika. In fact, in games that Stradon won, the margin of victory was larger than in games Boom won
  • Boom's Pika didn't ever do well :(
  • Excluding Ubb, Boom had a losing record against every single Pika
  • Excluding the one Mario game, Boom had a losing record against Marka and Gerson with every character he tried except DK!
  • Boom's Kirby only did well against Gohan and Foxes
  • Boom's characters did the reverse of the top 4 tier list: Fox did the best, then Falcon, then Kirby then Pika
  • The only ditto Boom did well in was Fox dittos
  • Overall conclusion: stick to Fox and Falcon, @SuPeRbOoM
There's a lot more that can be gleaned from the raw data, but below is a summary. If anyone wants the spreadsheet just PM me - everything updates automatically as you change around matchups, players, etc. Someone who knows more about statistics and covariance and stuff could draw some even more specific conclusions.

Average times for each stage and match-up coming tomorrow!

caneut

Smash Ace
How did Boom do in Peru? Who was his best character? His worst? What players did he do especially bad against? What match-ups did he do well in?

All these and more are questions that can be answered with DATA!

(I couldn't figure out how to do the spoiler thing but if someone tells me how I'll edit this post.)

Some interesting takeaways (does not include tournament matches):
  • Across all of Peru, Boom had an almost exactly 50% win record and was up by a cumulative 0.0 stocks!
  • Boom was actually dead even with Stradon, since Stradon racked up kills and wins with his Pika. In fact, in games that Stradon won, the margin of victory was larger than in games Boom won
  • Boom's Pika didn't ever do well :(
  • Excluding Ubb, Boom had a losing record against every single Pika
  • Excluding the one Mario game, Boom had a losing record against Marka and Gerson with every character he tried except DK!
  • Boom's characters did the reverse of the top 4 tier list: Fox did the best, then Falcon, then Kirby then Pika
  • The only ditto Boom did well in was Fox dittos
  • Overall conclusion: stick to Fox and Falcon, @SuPeRbOoM
There's a lot more that can be gleaned from the raw data, but below is a summary. If anyone wants the spreadsheet just PM me - everything updates automatically as you change around matchups, players, etc. Someone who knows more about statistics and covariance and stuff could draw some even more specific conclusions.

Average times for each stage and match-up coming tomorrow!

neat

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
pay more attention to him vs gerson pika friendlies

you should make a separate chart that excludes all the tornado kills (including tornado -> pika down b)

I counted 29 matches vs gerson.

The videos of friendlies arent all uploaded yet rofl

In tournament
Boom won 100% vs gerson
Boom won 66% vs largo (1 loss)
Boom won 20% vs marka (1 win with DK lol)

Other than that, only 1 person in pools took 1 game off of him.

Only 1 person in Peru can beat boom in tournament in hyrule.
On dreamland they wouldn't stand a chance lol

Last edited:

Olikus

Smash Champion
Watched the friendly matches. Daaaaaaaaayum Gerson too good. He moves so nice. If boom hadnt exploited the brokeness of hyrule with the camp of the history of smash, I think Gerson could have won the tourney.

Would be really cool if he met Marka in tourney. But oh well. Congratz to boom for being tactical. Lets hope hyrule gets banned in Peru as well xD

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I wonder how gohan would have done vs Boom in tournament also. His Pikachu was rather amazing as well.

also, people arguing about Hyrule and Dreamland again, my only reaction.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Back when I housed Boom and the Japanese at apex 2014, I noticed boom won like 90-95% of the matches vs moyashi. In tournament moyashi only lost like 2 out of 6. After playing moyashi i realized this was because moyashi was only playing full potential in tournament.
Fast forward to the week before peru when me and boom were talking to isai. Isai said that Gerson et al. would approach if they believed they were better players. So after the second match boom played with gerson I reminded boom about what isai said and what moyashi did (with a text on my phone so the translators couldnt overhear us lol). The strategy was to get the peruvians to underestimate boom during the tournament. Take those friendly matches with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Back when I housed Boom and the Japanese at apex 2014, I noticed boom won like 90-95% of the matches vs moyashi. In tournament moyashi only lost like 2 out of 6. After playing moyashi i realized this was because moyashi was only playing full potential in tournament.
Fast forward to the week before peru when me and boom were talking to isai. Isai said that Gerson et al. would approach if they believed they were better players. So after the second match boom played with gerson I reminded boom about what isai said and what moyashi did (with a text on my phone so the translators couldnt overhear us lol). The strategy was to get the peruvians to underestimate boom during the tournament. Take those friendly matches with a grain of salt.
Wait, doesn't everybody sandbag in friendlies? I've always imagined that the good players only try when something is on the line. Is that not the case?? :140:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Wait, doesn't everybody sandbag in friendlies? I've always imagined that the good players only try when something is on the line. Is that not the case?? :140:
Sadly for me that's not the case. People play for fun, and a lot of players have fun by winning. Therefore why would they sandbag?

Karajan, so the friendlies were mostly played before the tournament? Or were there a good bunch afterward as well?

Nixernator

Smash Ace
From what I can gather australia's online scene has basically died, so I only really practice offline against my melee/brawl friends and I can definitely attest to sandbagging.

there's not much fun 5 stocking people non stop and performing the same flowcharts, I usually play the whole cast and spend my time trying to perform or discover any cool tricks, combos, edgeguards or just movement options. I'm also pretty notorious for sandbagging in friendlies at brawl, and I'm PR'd (or was... ha! Brawl) in that, why bother trying when you don't need to?

KingKarma

Smash Rookie
From what I can gather australia's online scene has basically died, so I only really practice offline against my melee/brawl friends and I can definitely attest to sandbagging.
The Au 64 scene's declined but it's not dead, there are still some players who play near daily. If you want to play some of us add me on skype, 'tehgullz', and I'll add you to the Aus 64 skype group.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I'm definitely a part of that group and its just crashed for me? I would love to play, but I can't actually contact anyone through it

Edit; I asked AA and he told me it was dead

Last edited:

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Time data is ready!

Takeaways, or, "Who Would've Thought!"
  • Hyrule took 1.6x longer than DL
    • Ttournament matches are excluded which would obviously make this difference far more pronounced
  • The longest matchup (Kirby vs. Fox) took 2.2x longer than the shortest (Falcon dittos)
    • Someone who knows more about statistics than I do could account for the factor that stage choice played here
  • Campiest character: Kirby
  • Least campy character: Falcon
  • Gerson's friendlies only lasted 3:40. Friendlies are much more friendly than tournament matches

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Sadly for me that's not the case. People play for fun, and a lot of players have fun by winning. Therefore why would they sandbag?
I always imagined that people would play a little reckless in friendlies and then in tournament they would go super ultra try hard mode. Kind of like some DBZ thing where you take off the weighted training clothes when the match really matters or something.

I didn't know that there were "play to win" people in friendlies. I thought that mindset only existed in a tournament setting lol. Who cares whether or not you win a friendly? :090:

Edit: Cool data, Greg.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
You play friendlies to get better for tournies. Friendlies allows you to try new things with no consequences, therefore you know what works more and what doesn't work less, for tournies.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I didn't know that there were "play to win" people in friendlies. I thought that mindset only existed in a tournament setting lol. Who cares whether or not you win a friendly? :090:
Alot of people care about winning friendlies, mostly people on kaillera

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
its good to try new things in friendlies. that's how you expand your horizons. But I also have to practice playing with a "play to win" mentality in friendlies otherwise i end up doing dumb things/have bad spacing in seriouslies.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Top Bottom