• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Tier !@!@!

okami473

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see what people (most likey better than me) would come up with for a teir of who has the best grab game. Include resons like juggling, range, knockback, setups and whatever else you could possibly think of.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Best grab in general is shieks since she can follow it up so well but you've got to consider

Marth's grab is fast and has godly range.

Mewtwo's grab is one of his main kill moves since he relies on the upthrow in most matches.

There really isn't a grab tier list as they have their diffferent reasons.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I would say that Ice Climbers would have to be god tier.... for reasons that I most likely don't have to explain.

Marth and Sheik are definetly up there, because of range, and because their grabs are so easy to follow up. DK's cargo is an extremely important part of his game, and like thebluedeath said, Mewtwo's grabs are some of his main killers.

And... Bowser. Because he's Bowser.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Marth for the range and no lag, and he has so many combos and chaingrabs afterwards.....
Marth has the best all around grab for sure!!!

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Marth has a chaingrab for spacies and thats it REDRAGON.

He can't chaingrab another marth if they Di Down...and he has no real combos from it like sheik does.

His dual f-throws wouldn't be considered a grab chain, fox can nearly do the same thing with his f-throw.

Binx

Smash Master
IC, Shiek, Marth, Fox, Falco for ease of getting grabs, peach, falcon for tech chasing, I think a large portion of the tier list has evolved from characters grab games as well as aerial mobility, for a good idea of who grabs the best look at the tier list, its only slightly out of order.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I would say that Ice Climbers would have to be god tier.... for reasons that I most likely don't have to explain.

Marth and Sheik are definetly up there, because of range, and because their grabs are so easy to follow up. DK's cargo is an extremely important part of his game, and like thebluedeath said, Mewtwo's grabs are some of his main killers.

And... Bowser. Because he's Bowser.
**** straight son

This guy knows his stuff Bowser for god tier! lol

tshahi10

Smash Ace
I'd go with
IC(infinite,plus combos)
sheik(broken chain grab)
marth(range,speed,versatility)
Fox
peach

Suicide kirby
suicide dk

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Actually, thebluedeath, Marth can chaingrab Peach, and Marth with his f-throw, Jigglypuff with his f-throw to smash, chain grab Fox/Falco with up throw. Can combo TONS of players with up throw to uptilt.
Also he has the longest grab(except for samus, Link/Y. link) But most know that.
I say overall marth has the best grab game.

metroid1117

Smash Master
LOL, Marth definitely has great grab range.

Obviously, IC's are god tier.

Between Sheik and Marth, I'd go with Marth. Sheik has the horrid DThrow chainthrow, but Marth has so many setups he can do with FThrow and can chainthrow space animals from 0% - death. DThrow can also provide for tech-chasing fun against space animals at the edge along with edgeguards. Sheik is next after Marth

I'd say that DK is next; his cargoing can lead to death for fastfallers (as Captain Jack has proved more than enough times) and is more destructive than even Fox's annoying UThrow -> UAir and all the other stuff he can do with his throws. Even between Mewtwo and Fox, I'd say that Mewtwo's UThrow and BThrow beat out Fox's throws. Also, Mewtwo's DThrow is a great setup for tilt attacks and techchasing.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Marth's f-throw chaingrab isn't going to work if they know how to di redragon, his only true chaingrabs are for fox and falco.\

F-throw to f-smash isn't as much combos as sheik can do that are surefire.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
ICs > Sheik > Marth > DK > Falcon > Fox

ICs chainthrows ****.
Sheik's grab game is quick and painful.
Marth has superior rangey and setups, and it's pretty quick.
DK can cargo to UAir combo almost all, especially spacies.
Falcon's tech chasing is the ****.
Fox has UThrow to UAir. 'Nuff said.

Smash Master
Samus has Extender. Samus for god tier.

Seriously:

God:
IC's

Top:
Sheik-Dthrow caingrabs half the cast. Decent grab range
Mewtwo- Uthrow/Bthrow kill. Dthrow chaingrabs
Marth-Brokenly long arms
DK-Cargo provides opportunity for combos and edgeguarding

High:
Peach-Fthrow is a killer. Uthrow chains the spacies. Dthrow chaingrabs?? (I don't know)
Ganondorf-many uber changrabs. Can 20-death spacies
Fox-Uthrow to Uair to sadistic, abusive combos
Captain Falcon-Can chaingrab with Uthrow and Dthrow as well
G+W-Opponent doesn't know which way he/she is being thrown; can't DI properly

Mid:
Ness-Bthrow Kills. Uthrow to combos.
Luigi-similar grab game as Mario, but better wavedash to contain DI
Mario-Dthrow/Uthrow chaingrabs. Bthrow has good knockback.
Dr. Mario-similar grab game as Mario
Jigglypuff-Uthrow to rest on spacies. Uthrow sends opponent pretty high for juggling.

Low:
Link: good range. Leads to juggles. Punishes predicted techs. Punished if missed.
Y. Link-same as Link, but shorter
Samus-Longest grab range in the game. Punished if missed.
Pichu-crap for grab range, Bthrow leads to edgeguard, Uthrow chaingrab spacies
Pikachu-same as Pichu, but less grab range
Zelda-Uthrow leads to comboing at times. Bthrow is mildly potent

Bottom:
Roy-Uthrow chaingrab spacies/ lead to slight juggling
Yoshi-grab range long, but slow, punished if missed.
Kirby-Suicide, but Bthrow and Fthrow can be escaped during animation.
Bowser-Can't do anything productive except be cute and techchase Fthrow (sort of)
Falco-Lasers give grabs heavy end lag. Fthrow can lead to edgeguard perhaps.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
No, marth cannot chainthrow anyone but fox and falco, otherwise its di-ed out of.
thebluedeath are you talking about at lower %???
Cause i see Ken chainbrabing peach players, and Marth players(Azen) with the f-throw when they are under 15%, then he ends with a f-smash or something....
So yeah, my question is: Can they Di away when they have less then 20%???

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth can cg floaties at VERY low percents. Think 0 to like 8 or 9 percent. That hardly even qaulifies as a true CG IMO. Marth can nail grabs better then anyone, except for maybe Fox. They are tied in that department IMO. Marth doesn't have guarunteed kills off of his grabs though, except for space animals. That hurts his grab game.

Marth defintily does not have the best grab game.

REDragon: Marth definitley has lag after a grab. The frames of a grab are 30 frames altogether. Half a second. That's plenty of lag.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
thebluedeath are you talking about at lower %???
Cause i see Ken chainbrabing peach players, and Marth players(Azen) with the f-throw when they are under 15%, then he ends with a f-smash or something....
So yeah, my question is: Can they Di away when they have less then 20%???
Marth and Peach can DI down after 7% to spot dodge or roll and the F-smash doesn't work at any percent. They can't DI away at lower percents, but they can DI down and reach the ground before you get there.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Marth can cg floaties at VERY low percents. Think 0 to like 8 or 9 percent. That hardly even qaulifies as a true CG IMO. Marth can nail grabs better then anyone, except for maybe Fox. They are tied in that department IMO. Marth doesn't have guarunteed kills off of his grabs though, except for space animals. That hurts his grab game.

Marth defintily does not have the best grab game.

REDragon: Marth definitley has lag after a grab. The frames of a grab are 30 frames altogether. Half a second. That's plenty of lag.
Imho Marth has the best because of the up-throw to u-tilt or chaingrab, and his f-throw to f-smash.
I was talking more like the lag of Samus or Link, cause they have the longest ggrab but the lag kills it.
Btw Emblem Lord, do you have any recent videos of yourselve??? I checked Youtube recently and i think you are better then those videos lol.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. Yes, I'm proud to say that I have definitely gotten better then my vids show. But no there are no very recent vids of me. I'll try to get some up soon though.

On topic: Marth has a good grab game. But some characters have better grab games then him IMO.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
lol. Yes, I'm proud to say that I have definitely gotten better then my vids show. But no there are no very recent vids of me. I'll try to get some up soon though.

On topic: Marth has a good grab game. But some characters have better grab games then him IMO.
Sorry to get off topic, but Emblem just pm me some videos, i would love to see them!

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
honestly anyone who doesnt say Ice Climbers have the best is severely confused or mentally challenged. Or has never seen ChuDat play.

I think 1048576 has a very accurate list, except pikachu and pichu should be switched. Pikachu's grab range is better isn't it?

oh and roy, roy's grabs are **** good if you can do them right. I think he'd be middle. That's just my opinion though.

quak

Smash Champion
i would say
1. IC's (infinates)
2. Marth(range/setups)
3. Sheik (cg's/setups)
4. Mewtwo (cause he's a beast)

EDIT: Falco is DEFINATLY not bottom

Cups

Smash Ace
I think Falcon should be a little higher, but I am biased. Anyway, his grabs are a very good source of comboing and you can up throw to knee space animals, other Falcons, Marths, Shieks, sometimes Link. And Dthrow to knee is pivotal against floaties like Peach, Jiggs, and the Mario bros and clone. I guess the grab isn't all that great damage and knockback wise, but still a force to play as and against. Arguably what determines pretty good Falcons from great ones.

Also, am I an idiot for assuming Roy and Marth's grabs are exactly the same? I have never noticed any difference while playing as or against.

Smash Master
Marth has better grab range, I think. Also, Pikachu has less grab range than Pichu I believe, although they both suck. I know there are some problems with my list. I typed the thing up in like five minutes. I totally forgot about grab to knee with Falcon :)

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
i would say
1. IC's (infinates)
2. Marth(range/setups)
3. Sheik (cg's/setups)
4. Mewtwo (cause he's a beast)

EDIT: Falco is DEFINATLY not bottom
Yeah that post earlier that said Falco was bottom, is a joke. Also he put Roy in the bottom too. What a nerd... lol jk
I say Quak got it about right ^^^

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^You're welcome?^^

I just saw grab tier and was waiting for people to complain about Marth's grab range and *insert false grab combo here*.

everlasting yay

Smash Ace
lol mario.

IC, Marth, Sheik, Mewtwo, Fox&Falcon. In that order.

And people, stop basing this thread around chain grabbing. The title says GRAB GAME, that includes setups, ect...which Marth...basically has 5873495783959358 of. For anyone to say Marth isn't only second to IC is...:(

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
man some of you guys have stupid reasons. Mewtwo... wow hes got a decent grab game, but with good DI the kills throws aren't great and the d-throw combos are alright at best.
and yes chaingrabbing while play a key part is determining who has the best grabs

my opinion.

ICs (just dope)
Sheik ( no brainer, automatic combos)
Marth (hes got nifty tricks)
Falcon (just awesome. most important part of his game, starts up crazy combos, plus his techchase game is nasty)
Fox ( uthrow uair is all he needs for it to be **** but uthrow usmash and utilt works well on falco/fox + throws set up for shinespikes)
Doc and Mario (very good chainthrows and combos)
Ganon (same reason as marios)
Peach (chains, kill throw, u throw/ dthrow combos)
Roy (good setups, decent chains and some nice techchasing)
DK (nice combos)
Mewtwo (killthrows and dthrow)
Luigi (nice combos)
Ness (kill throw and juggles)

approximate order, didnt put a lot of thought into the order after top 5 though so stuff could be moved around a bit

eh i dont really care about the rest unless i forgot one. but ill say some crappy ones.

falco (wack combos if they di right, almost always have options better than grabbing, )
Jigglypuff (once the fastfallers learn how to di, i hate her throw game)
Yoshi ( i dont even play yoshi but it looks like it sucks)
Kirby (same reason as yoshi, and the kirbycide **** sucks)
Samus, link, young link (well they arent actually that bad, actually they have pretty dope combos but are so situational cuz of how punishable they are with sidesteps so i dont like em)

eh i dont care about the rest

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Everlasting yay said not to base it on chaingrabs and stryk9 says different in the very next post lol...

This thread got alot of responses..I thought it would die out quickly.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Samus grab if she has the exterder is pretty good.
Also if you grabd them, up throw is good for Fast fallers, and down throw is great for floatys. So Samus has good options when she grabs someone, the problem is, if she misses she is dead. lol.
Thats why her grab sucks, a miss will result in a up-smash=death.
Also people underestimate Roy's grab. It has GREAT range and leads to he f-smash sometimes and can chaingrag spaces.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
Samus grab if she has the exterder is pretty good.
Also if you grabd them, up throw is good for Fast fallers, and down throw is great for floatys. So Samus has good options when she grabs someone, the problem is, if she misses she is dead. lol.
Thats why her grab sucks, a miss will result in a up-smash=death.
Also people underestimate Roy's grab. It has GREAT range and leads to he f-smash sometimes and can chaingrag spaces.
Wait, can roy chain grab spaces? i always thought his uthrow had a tilted trajectory. it is close to marth, with one grab doing 1% more

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know you can CG Spaces at least till 30 or 40ish, something around there, then your grabs lead to tilt to f-smash. Alot of time you will have to chase them spacey down, but you can still grab them with out them escaping the tumbling.

Top Bottom