• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Release combo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I have been testing a few things for Sheik and I found that it is possible to grab release many characters into bouncing fish. I found that if you slow down the time in training that the stop cpu will always try to jump when they are able too. I was consistently hitting yoshi in his super armor frame of his double jump. So I have been looking for the jump indicator in my testing. I need someone to help me test the ones that look legit.
If someone would please help me test this I would love you long time. My skype name is saviorslegacy (exactly like it is here). feel free to message me if you are down.

I also have to run out for a bit so I will leave this unfinished for now. I should have everything that I can test by myself tested tonight.

Can always be air released.
grab release> bouncing fish

Air releases only over the edge.

grab release> bouncing fish is not a true combo

grab release> USmash tipper

Can only be air released at the edge.
Grab release> bouncing fish is not a true combo.

Grab release> bouncing fish is not a true combo

grab release> bouncing fish is not a true combo

Grab releasing into bouncing fish will connect to Luma if he is at Rosalina's side, but never Rosalina herself.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
Interesting. I'll have to try this out.

This may just fit the hole in my heart left from playing Sheik in Brawl and grab releasing bad Snake players who tried to recover to close to the stage.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Well, now it won't be frustrating for me to KO good Kirby players anymore. lol

Tristan_win

Not dead.
You know, I was hoping Sheik would have something like this again.

This could really help Sheik with her killing issues, even more so in Brawl due to BF not requiring Sheik to be grounded allow it to work in any settings. We should also look into force ground breaks and see if there any characters like ness in brawl were we could combo from grab break.

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What's the not-true-combo-ness of some of them? Do they release too far to reach in time with Bouncing Fish?

saviorslegacy

What about grab release to gravity grenade?
That wont happen.....
The grenade is to slow and they will recover from the grab release to quickly.

What's the not-true-combo-ness of some of them? Do they release too far to reach in time with Bouncing Fish?
There are a lot of different release animations. For example, Greninja's, Villager's and Mega Man's air release animation are unique only to them. Mega man's is so derpy I released him a couple times at the edge just for a chuckle.

I'm just going to say right now, that I feel like a good half of these are iffy. I do not have someone to test with right now, but when I do I'll sort out the information. If some of the above is wrong however, it is only a few frames short of being a true combo.

Also, if you release them from the edge it is looking like 90% is right around when you will get a kill on most of the cast. Untested with vectoring obviously.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you set a CPU to jump during training, it should be good enough for a tentative test.

saviorslegacy

If you set a CPU to jump during training, it should be good enough for a tentative test.
I was release them over the edge. If I screwed up or it wouldn't combo I would see the jump circle from the jumping animation of see them start a recovery move like with the villager. I kept eating dolphin slashes testing Marth. They only seem to respond fast enough if you lower the speed otherwise they don't react fast enough.

Last edited:

?.?

Smash Journeyman
This is genius and good to know about, but I'm pretty sure megaman can Up+b out of this, also this weekend sometime I might be able to help you test. I'll message you on skype then though as I have no true internet at home. D:

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Damn, this is really great to know. I can see why you have a reputation around here. I knew she had this kind of thing with a few characters, but didn't know it could lead into bouncing fish. Great find.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I just used this against a bowser jr on for glory, and he air released while on stage.

edit: I just used it against another bowser jr, and it still air released. But after doing it 3 times, he was able to jump out of it in time. I might have been too slow, but he has gotten out more than once now. I'm still testing it though.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.

grab release> USmash tipper
So a while ago a video was made showing some characters grab releases on Wario. In the video he demonstrate Sheik can Fair before he escapes so naturally I left a question asking why didn't he show usmash and he actually responded.

tristanwin
2 weeks ago

It's strange you would show Sheik grab release into fair but not usmash as that was guaranteed in brawl, did you just over look this or does it no longer work?
·

Hide replies

My Smash Corner

2 weeks ago

It no longer works. I literally tried every move with all the characters that can grab release Wario, with my friend mashing jump and air dodge. These are the only ones that will connect.
·

tristanwin

2 weeks ago

+My Smash Corner
That's really interesting, I don't know if you have the know how or ability to collect frame data but it would be a interesting note if we could compare Wario helplessly state directly from Smash4 to Brawls. Now that we know grab release are in the game its going to be lots of fun testing every character for force air/ground breaks and set ups from ledge.
·

My Smash Corner

2 weeks ago

+tristanwin
The best I can do is slow the game down in training mode. When I get a chance, I'll make a Wario grab release comparison video I guess.

Conclusion: I don't think training mode is a reliable means to test this.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I am sometimes missing up-b 3 on some characters the default Bouncing Fish hits on, and sometimes hitting it on characters the default cannot. Will try to do some human testing later.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
So I just stumbled upon something regarding this tech. If you grab them out of the air, some characters will air release regardless if they air release during a grounded grab. This is worth testing as well! I have been able to confirm this works on Peach if you grab her just before she lands on the ground =x

This needs extensive character based testing as well, however. It seems to work on Diddy Kong, but I'm not positive if he lands on the ground soon enough to block the Bouncing Fish.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

I have to stay on the ship and work all day. I can't test till Friday evening.

As I have said everything is iffy ATM. Once I get someone to help me out online then I will go through and update all of the information.

Also, if you are not holding the circle pad towards the opponent and spamming B then you are doing it wrong for a majority of the cast.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I am testing this with Ampharos this very moment, and we can't get anything to work. You can jump out.

Even fair on Wario, if the air dodge is frame perfect.

Edit: Yup, it's all a dud. Party's over folks.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...hmm..if Ampharos and thinkaman did the testing then it has to be true... WELL it still puts us at a position of advantage against Wario due to him having to air dodge to escape so we could do a empty short hop and punish his air dodge on landing. Sure he might still be able to escape if he chooses to jump instead or maybe even attack but he's putting himself at risk. I guess this be more useful once he reach a percentage where normal throws into aerials wont work. Also grab release gimmicks off ledge are still a good mix up and between forcing a air break or ground(they fall downwards forcing them to jump or recover) they are still going to give Sheik at the very least the same amount of cool down so...yeah.

Other then that I guess something like this could occasional work against the unaware.

...still sucks though...

edit: After doing a bit of research I notice thinkaman has also made a good number of detail threads.

Last edited:

Hoser

Smash Ace
I am testing this with Ampharos this very moment, and we can't get anything to work. You can jump out.

Even fair on Wario, if the air dodge is frame perfect.

Edit: Yup, it's all a dud. Party's over folks.
I've been doing my own testing in for glory, and had come to the same conclusion. However, if you don't spam it, people tend to not see it coming and will get hit by it at least once. It may not be a true combo, but it's a good mixup to have.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sheik down-b 3 is faster and works on more characters for this purpose, as a fast, powerful mixup.

The problem with all this is, holding someone still in a grab is about as telegraphed as it gets. Any player who has seen it before knows what you are planning. Sheik's normal throw and followup game is probably superior.

saviorslegacy

I get back from an all nighter at work and found out that someone done all of the testing for me. Thank you very kindly good sir.

Now if you excuse me I'm going to go break something or punch a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom