• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab cancelled dash attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I believe it varies the range of the grab in case the opponent was trying to pivot it or WD backwards to avoid a JC grab.

Can you explain the mechanics? I'm not sure how it works.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
usually useful w/ sheik and the like. you cancel your dash attack w/ z. commonly referred to as "boost grab." run, dash attack and then hit z immediately, kinda as if you were JC grabbing except Y is A.
gives more range than a dash/jc grab but has more ending lag. i don't use it. amusing w/ the Mario's though, since they make sounds, and if you delay it enough the sound for Fox/Falco's dash attack will come out too before you grab.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I thought most people would've been expecting a dash attack, especially at close range. I doubt many could react THAT quickly, unless they were already in the middle of trying to attack you.

As for Mech. they've basically already been explained. If you miss.

Haruhi: Take your punishment!

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Well yes then, it's just another variation of a grab. Just like JC and dash grab it has its application. Perhaps you want more range, or are pretty sure that it won't miss and just following up a combo. Or to trick people who like to CC your dash attacks.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Random History lesson:
It actually has a name, it's called grunt grabbing. It's one of the old terms that got dropped because of meta/lack of usefulness, etc etc.

Yes, the inputs are the exact same as boost/lunge grabbing for sheik/fox/any other character that uses it (i hear peachs use it to? Because they running grabs have the same frames as their standing grabs. Random trivia for anybody who cares)

It works because, as you should know, doc ALWAYS makes a sound when he does a dash attack. (Same concept that goes behind the edgeguarding trick that's probably been overlooked on this forum time and time again).

__
Use:

If you really want to use it against somebody that is CCing, i mean I guess you could. I realistically dont see why you wouldnt just JC grab (seeing as JC grab is faster and safer anyway).

Realistically, the only use for grunt grabbing is if somebody has a fast reaction and reacts to sound, with sound availible.

"Dogy, that's a pretty specific critera." Yeah, that's why it's not useful. For it to realistically work (as intended), your opponent has to shield/cc/do-something-that-keeps-then-inplace specifically because they hear "woo".

Think about it: if your opponent thinks you're going to dash attack but isnt THAT fast on reaction (or doesnt know that subtle of a detail), it doesnt matter if there's a sound or not, they're going to be in shield anyway. If they think you're going to grab, they're going to move and a sound is going to stop them. If they cant hear the **** tv to begin with, you cant use this at all. XD

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Tes I'v performed this before, Its easy to use on characters like Mario but not Sonic becuase he has a fast Dash attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom