• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GotGames Nationwide Brawl Circuit- Online Ladder closed - State Qualifers begin soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
We will so do National Crew Battles if people are prepared to travel in crews by state. Melee and Brawl

Gords

Smash Champion
from my understanding of this thread,
to register on the ladder we will need to create an acount with gotgames before august 2 and then post somewhere on the site that we wish to participate.

Is this correct and if so where exactly on the gotgames site do we say we want to be involved or have they not created a thread for that yet? August 2 is when it starts isnt it?

forky

Smash Apprentice
CAO You know you have my undying support with w/e you need.

Just remember i am actually not careless, but opposed to online games. (It's not my net connection, which i assure you is excellent) but rather the concept. Smash is a game played IRL. I won't be participating in any online matches (unless nintendo magically fix the system) ...

I'll still help do anything else that involves organizing, hosting etc. And once the rounds start getting organized, i will more than happily organize a massive 2 day meet or whatever is needed to get tournament matches played IRL.

Incredible work as always man!

Mic_129

Smash Clone
BRoomer
Every round, each person will be assigned 1 opponent. They are to play a total of 4 games - 2 Basic Stages and 2 Counterpick Stages. These stages will be announced by CAOTIC the same time the opponents are announced. Basic and Coutnerpick stages are listed below. Stages with a (D) signifies the Dedede Rule.
Are you picking our counterpicks, or do we let you know first or what?

S.D

Smash Master
CAO You know you have my undying support with w/e you need.

Just remember i am actually not careless, but opposed to online games. (It's not my net connection, which i assure you is excellent) but rather the concept. Smash is a game played IRL. I won't be participating in any online matches (unless nintendo magically fix the system) ...

I'll still help do anything else that involves organizing, hosting etc. And once the rounds start getting organized, i will more than happily organize a massive 2 day meet or whatever is needed to get tournament matches played IRL.

Incredible work as always man!
I totally agree with you there Fork - don't know about all this online business.

But I think we should all give it a chance, especially after all the work Cao's done setting it up.

Worst comes to worst there's still the offline state finals which I'm sure you'll have a strong hand in either way :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Are you picking our counterpicks, or do we let you know first or what?
I'll be picking all of the stages for everyone to streamline the system.

Thanks Forky, I'll keep you posted ~ i have the same reservations about online too. I'm probably just as opposed to the concept as you are. But if it's able to expand our smash community in the long run, I'm more than willing to put in the work <3

forky

Smash Apprentice
I'll be picking all of the stages for everyone to streamline the system.

Thanks Forky, I'll keep you posted ~ i have the same reservations about online too. I'm probably just as opposed to the concept as you are. But if it's able to expand our smash community in the long run, I'm more than willing to put in the work <3
I've got the same stance. I'd rather put all the effort in sydney into making sure each round is played IRL, which shouldn't be too complex for the sydney smashers (travelling for meets
shouldn't be a chore anyway)

Let me know my man

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Get someone to make up offical flyers for this that can be spammed about at unis, tafes and games stores...could rack up attendance into the 1000's...

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
So it seems we may have someome from NSW, QLD and WA to host meets that coincide with GotGames rounds to make everyone's lives easier (lagless).

Something can probably be sorted for VIC and SA through their monthly tournaments, although my intention was to have rounds progressing bi-weekly. Stiff ****

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
However you decide it should be done, we'll all stand by.

The only thing I was worried about (And that I know you're well aware of) was, well, the 'fairness' of doing it this way. Having regular meets will discourage playing online, and as such, alienate those that live too far from their opponents -_-

Still, at least they have the option to compete at all. It's not a perfect system, but there's not alot any of us can do about it.

How is it progressing by the way? Any ETA's we should be looking out for as far as the season beginning goes?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Well, I made the Mobility rule, which means people who live outside the metro area (I'll construct boundaries) have priority in deciding how they want to play their opponent. Even people who live in the metro areas have priority to choose online rather than meeting up. Having a meetup only works if both opponents agree to it beforehand. It's the best solution I could come up with.

Starks is pretty happy with the revision, so it's been passed onto Hybrid (not to be mistaken with the Hybrid from SA). Hybrid is pretty busy at the moment, but it's likely he'll accept the revisions, based on how well the meeting went in Sydney.

ETA is still unknown, because GotGames is currently overhauling their website. Once it's complete they'll create a segment for Nintendo and Brawl, set up our ladder for us and away we go. I don't think websites take very long to set up, so that's a good sign.

Bjay

Smash Lord
What I want to know is, how the Dedede rule is going to be enforced.

Okay, that's fine Dedede is banned on Bridge of Eldin for example, however.

What if the person you vs picks Dedede, and a stage which is allowed for Dedede, but you happen to pick a stage that is Dedede banned, and you get the Dedede banned stage. What happens from there?
10 Warios.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
What I want to know is, how the Dedede rule is going to be enforced.

Okay, that's fine Dedede is banned on Bridge of Eldin for example, however.

What if the person you vs picks Dedede, and a stage which is allowed for Dedede, but you happen to pick a stage that is Dedede banned, and you get the Dedede banned stage. What happens from there?
I'd assume as long as you knew that they were using Dedede, and you chose the stage with that in mind, then it would be okay.

I'm guessing we have to know the opponent's character before the match?

shamous919

Smash Rookie
This is going to be AWESOME, I'm definitely in. just a question, who else from QLD is in for this? im going to be putting notices out to my mates, the uni's and the gamestores in Townsville. If any of you are from NQ let me know, we could meet up for a mini tourney (consider it a warm up)....

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Ignore the post from shamous919 thats me. this is my proper account. (admin can delete shamous919 if they want) anyway:

This is going to be AWESOME, I'm definitely in. just a question, who else from QLD is in for this? im going to be putting notices out to my mates, the uni's and the gamestores in Townsville. If any of you are from NQ let me know, we could meet up for a mini tourney (consider it a warm up)....

thats what i wanted to say in this account :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Nice account :)

Bjay - Dedede simply won't be allowed to play on the stages that are banned against him. For the season rounds, people are only allowed to play on the stages I announce prior to the rounds starting. As such, there will be no process for stage counterpicking at all.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea Cao...but at the same time... I'm cautious, dont think I've forgotten the joy you took in playing on pictochat when you were in Sydney ^_^

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
We need to sticky this i think... is there no date as of yet? id really like to have some kind of idea as to when we'll be gettin it on. ive been checking gotgame and they havnt got the ssb section up yet, so i imagine its going to be a long way away yes? where did you even hear about the tournament?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I didn't hear about it, I've set it up through them. Their current website is the old one btw, so like I said, there's still some wait time and I'm not sure how long it'll take

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Kool. so this tournament isnt being hosted by any reputable companies. its only going to be as big as we make it. that makes me sad....i've been thinking about how the smash community could get sponsered. my mum is the townsville operations manager for subway, im going to talk to her about how we would go about getting sponsorship, from subway AND otherplaces. so for example i could contact an electronics supplier, i.e. ebgames (im good friends with the staff and managers in townsville) and talk about sponsorship, also i could talk to queensland country credit union (im the it guy for them) about sponsorship (but they'll probly say no as they are tight arse tossers) but yeah, if myself or anyone else can get some decent sponsorship going we could pull in people accross the country and kick the competitive smash community into gear.

p.s. STICKY THIS THREAD

xeno

Smash Ace
****, I gotta prac melee + brawl now.
CAO, first, I applaud your initiative to do this. Everyone writes, few publish, everyone has ideas, few implement. This implementation sounds brilliant. I do have concern over D3.. I guess, just don't main him :S. This thread should be stickied like the Ice Climbers grab sticks.. btw I think the "use until 300 is fine", perfect.
(if I was the ICs, I'd use it until.. 310%, then pause.. then murder. ;) )
CIRCUIT FTW.
Oh, I read there are.. 4 stages? 2 counter picks meaning, each player chooses one? So you can tie with your opponent? Or do you pick the stages beforehand as "counter-picks", then play 2 neutrals then a third decider (pls explain).

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...I'm curious as to why an infinate chain grab is allowed past even the first few throws...300% seems pretty stupid

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Because it's very difficult to perform. 39 different characters with different weights and different percentages along with a stage that usually isn't flat.

Edit: I finally have 500 posts. Why the hell am i still a smash apprentice?

xeno

Smash Ace
Yeah...I'm curious as to why an infinate chain grab is allowed past even the first few throws...300% seems pretty stupid
Why shouldn't it be allowed past the first few throws? It's a combo that leads into itself, an infinite loop. Therefore, it's viable for a kill, so it should be allowed up until a kill is beyond a doubt obvious. I bet players will kill at earlier %s, but the first time someone survives a 200% throw with mad DI or a collision with a stage object.. 300% will make more sense to the IC player. I suggest mash-like-mad and scream at the other player hoping their concentration will break. After all, everyone ****s up.

xeno

Smash Ace
and this changes from you're usual play style how? :)
It doesn't. Someone actually called it the "Xeno mash" one time. Or maybe that was me, in response to repeated amazement that I break out of grabs. Berimbau once said I "**** my controller in order to recover".

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
It doesn't. Someone actually called it the "Xeno mash" one time. Or maybe that was me, in response to repeated amazement that I break out of grabs. Berimbau once said I "**** my controller in order to recover".
and do you know what's really funny about this, i thought your post was X's, similar name and avatar and all :laugh:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hzrd - I've talked to Hybrid and Starks about sponsorship and it's important that we as a competitive gaming community make major companies take notice of us before anything else can happen. If the activity we are running is self-sustaining, then we're on the right track.

Xeno - Thanks dude, this has the potential to be awesome.

About the 4 matches thing - Before a round starts I'm going to call out 4 stages where everyone is to play their matches. It just makes things simpler and less contentious when playing online. Yes, it means you can draw ~ you can end up with a result like 0-4, 1-3, 2-2, 3-1, or 4-0. I'll randomly pick 2 Starter Stages and 2 Counterpick stages, to make things as fair as possible for everyone.

When the State Qualifiers and Major Final run, they will be more traditional. I'd likely use a modified version of an SBR developed ruleset.

Kulla - I'll be making modifications here and there, mostly using discussions from the SBR to guide me.

xeno

Smash Ace
Maybe for the 2 neutral stages just do FD + Battlefield.. classic staples, symmetrical design.
Idk enough about Brawl to suggest Counterpick stages :S
Now.. Metaknight or Snake..

OH. Just a quick idea. I've never played Brawl online BUT in case of connection drop, I suggest the match be reset with AT LEAST the Stocks reset, and maybe every 50% damage reset as well (yup, just jab until it goes ova 50/100 :) ). There really need to be rules for this in case it happens, or some **** unplugs his Wii and says "lol, connection problem".
(random fact: there was a glitch in metal gear online that involved unplugging and replugging your net cable as you got off a ladder. the effect? invisibility! go try in Brawl while using Metaknights dimensional infinity cape of knight.)

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback CAO.

Well no matter how big this thing gets, if personal funds permit, im definately going to the brisbane tourney part of this....whether i qualify or not, i just wanna have some friendly matches and see who's repping for us.

my appreciation goes out to all who are organizing this.

Bjay

Smash Lord
There really need to be rules for this in case it happens, or some **** unplugs his Wii and says "lol, connection problem".
(random fact: there was a glitch in metal gear online that involved unplugging and replugging your net cable as you got off a ladder. the effect? invisibility! go try in Brawl while using Metaknights dimensional infinity cape of knight.)
It will say

Disconnected

Error: 84120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom