• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question because I'm new to SWF. I've mained allot of characters since I got smash. From Sonic, to Olimar, to Luigi, to Wolf and Finally to King Dedede. But I'm not sure if I've should use him. I use the classic controller (if that means anything) and I love grabs and aerials.
I hope someone can help me :)
uh sure, whats the question then.

I went through a couple of mains before i magically discovered DDD, so shoot

Doesnt matter what controller you use really. As long as your comfortable with the settings.

Interesting question:

Say your up against a MK. MK uses nado. If you utilt it and it breaks through, doesn't that mean that nado's priority is actually lower at the middle, or is that just utilt's strength and priority ****** it?

I've been thinking about tornados priority for a few days now..i think it has some type of medium priority. But obviously, Meta Knights hurt box is still exposed while the Mach Tornado animation is active. Utilt is just that good.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I thought that upon contact, uptilt has invincible frames. That could be why.
At any rate, the trouble I have with MK is that while he is weak in the air, its hard to get him successful where you want him, because if you are below him you are ****ed cause of upair.

Another theory problem I have is with his transcendent priority. Technically speaking that should be in our favor, because we could just hit him every time and exchange damage, us ending up on top because we deal more damage, and being a heavier character we live longer. The trouble is, his range and speed kind of mess this up.

MKs just a ball of trouble. They tried to give him weaknesses, but they don't really pan out very well.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I thought that upon contact, uptilt has invincible frames. That could be why.
At any rate, the trouble I have with MK is that while he is weak in the air, its hard to get him successful where you want him, because if you are below him you are ****ed cause of upair.

Another theory problem I have is with his transcendent priority. Technically speaking that should be in our favor, because we could just hit him every time and exchange damage, us ending up on top because we deal more damage, and being a heavier character we live longer. The trouble is, his range and speed kind of mess this up.

MKs just a ball of trouble. They tried to give him weaknesses, but they don't really pan out very well.

While its true DDD lives long because hes 300lbs, the same can just as easily be said for Meta-- because hes got one of the fastest coming out aerials in the game...Uair...its comes out at frame 2 right?

I also got a question about DDD's Utilt. Whats the hit box like on it? When does it have the most vertical ..or horizontal reach?

Is there a way to use it so i can get the most out of the invincibility frames?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Interesting question:

Say your up against a MK. MK uses nado. If you utilt it and it breaks through, doesn't that mean that nado's priority is actually lower at the middle, or is that just utilt's strength and priority ****** it?
*cough* >.>

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Interesting question:

I'm sorry in advance for those of you who are short-tempered, but "priority" is used too much in this first answer to a question, so beware.
This is an interesting question, I agree. D.E. is partly correct about up tilt being that good and Crashic is partly correct about up tilt having invincibility frames. But the invincibility frames come much earlier than when it goes through tornado. Not that many either, maybe around 2-3 frames...mainly at the dead beginning of the move. So it's just the priority of the move that shows.

Answer : The tornado's priority is not necessarily lower at the middle. I'm assuming it's lower at the top only because we can do moves that work against it there that we can't at the middle part, such as Inhale, or Down Air (only during the beginning frames of the tornado). It's just that up tilt has extreme priority as well, which is why it can outprioritize the middle and why it's "that good". But sometimes it doesn't work everytime, so that means both moves can trade with each other because they both have such great priority.
But I'm not sure if I should use him. I use the classic controller (if that means anything) and I love grabs and aerials.
I hope someone can help me :)
You should really use him...in the subpost "The Royal Guide/FAQ of King Dedede", the introduction and more can tell you why you should use him. This is found in the stickied thread --->"Grand United Royal Guide"
Just as D.E. said, it's whatever that is most comfortable for you and that it's easy for you to not make mistakes by using that controller. But in my opinion, it's better to use the Gamecube controller because it originates from Melee and the controls are much easier to use in situations.

I also got a question about DDD's Utilt. Whats the hit box like on it? When does it have the most vertical ..or horizontal reach?

Is there a way to use it so i can get the most out of the invincibility frames?
In general, the move should be used more when you are facing your opponent. I've actually done it once where I didn't face my opponent and the up tilt worked from behind, but that was at the exact edge of the back hitbox.
The hitbox extends above King Dedede about an inch and it's slightly disjointed at the top (which is good) and hits a tiny bit further above than the tip of his head. That's when it has the most vertical reach, a little bit more after the beginning frames. After the frames of the top, the hitbox goes more horiztonal, which is where you can get kills from it where your opponent is not above you. But I can consider it laggy when you have to wait for King Dedede's head to go downwards to get that hit to work. The range is not that long at all, so don't get your hopes up.
And sadly, it's very hard to get the most out of its invincibility frames because it comes so early in the move and it lasts for minimal frames. Don't lose your focus in trying to go for that because it's highly unlikely for it to work. Treat it like the luck of a Gordo
(but my luck is different for Gordos LoL.) ;)

edit: and yeah commander beef is mad cute taught me a lot of stuff with ddd
LOL! I'm assuming no homo over here. You tend to never say that when you're IM'ing me or posting here Junk.
A funny man, you are.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

In general, the move should be used more when you are facing your opponent. I've actually done it once where I didn't face my opponent and the up tilt worked from behind, but that was at the exact edge of the back hitbox.
The hitbox extends above King Dedede about an inch and it's slightly disjointed at the top (which is good) and hits a tiny bit further above than the tip of his head. That's when it has the most vertical reach, a little bit more after the beginning frames. After the frames of the top, the hitbox goes more horiztonal, which is where you can get kills from it where your opponent is not above you. But I can consider it laggy when you have to wait for King Dedede's head to go downwards to get that hit to work. The range is not that long at all, so don't get your hopes up.
And sadly, it's very hard to get the most out of its invincibility frames because it comes so early in the move and it lasts for minimal frames. Don't lose your focus in trying to go for that because it's highly unlikely for it to work. Treat it like the luck of a Gordo
(but my luck is different for Gordos LoL.) ;)

didnt know about using while hes facing forward, and i was curious about the horizontal range. I take its his head when he nods down is where that plays in

you know the animation during DDDs Utilt is called over shoot. Its where you exaggerate a body part of a character for xx amount of frames for the sake of expression. Or to over exaggerate it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/al_090831_2213.jpg

Normal head size

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/al_090831_22141.jpg

Utilt, back

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/al_090831_2214.jpg

Utilt, front

still a pretty loving big hit box

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
didnt know about using while hes facing forward, and i was curious about the horizontal range. I take its his head when he nods down is where that plays in

you know the animation during DDDs Utilt is called over shoot. Its where you exaggerate a body part of a character for xx amount of frames for the sake of expression. Or to over exaggerate it.

still a pretty loving big hit box
That is way too interesting for me to stress! :)
Yes that's correct about "I take its his when he nods down is where that plays in".
And the third image is exactly where the vertical-most hitbox appears and where it is slightly disjointed.
Thanks for the information, in which I will eventually add that to the original page along with the other questions and quotes when I have the time.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
my d3 is horrible,give advice please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMN-sD7-4RY.
Heh, this was funny in how this was the exact same video that Gates posted in the social thread.
I don't think you'll need that much advice AC, your King Dedede is just good enough lol. You seem to know the things needed, such as for the Meta Knight matchup in which you should never approach. And also, you handled tornado spamming nicely, but it can be easy for any experienced player to handle since they keep using it consistently and it'll become more predictable.

Just a couple things to point out that you shouldn't do :
4:53 - 5:05 : As said in the previous critique, don't overuse a single move in which you will really get punished for, meaning your Inhale in this case. I'm sure it was just a simple mistake, but I don't recommend trying that again even though you got him with it more times than not. LoL
4:31 - 4:33 : Never do a falling down air to the floor unless if you're timing it correctly in which you know you'll deal the knockback frame.
Not much else to cover, good stuff. 5/5

Hopefully everybody was satisfied with the answers I gave them on the previous page... otherwise I'm doing all this for nothing :(.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Bah... I don't need bullet points, there's no need to number the video because there's only one anyways, and my rating is easier lol.
I'm following the more important part of your format, so I thought you'd be happy.

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
Do you normally have tap jump on or off? It's easier to use utilt with it off but easier to short hop (for me) with it on. Which one seems more important to be able to use?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
guys wat does jv mean???

JV n-stock is when one player wins with 1-4 stock remaining and has 0% of that stock.

n = the number of stocks you have

So for example if I 2 stocked somebody while I have 0%... we would call that a JV 1-stock win.

JV 1-stock = won while having 0 stocks (AKA: Impossible to my knowledge)
JV 2-stock = 1 stock, 0%
JV 3-stock = 2 stocks, 0%
JV 4-stock = 3 stocks, 0%

Jupz

Smash Master
Beef I think Gates was joking lol :p

Also duckypwns I can see you're just beginning the game, you'll need to practice more before asking for your next critique :) Read the guide for some good info.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I don't blame you for anything on this because Mew2King plays against computers all the time. But computers are not caught up with the current metagame, and they never will be. But if you want a critique, post up a video with you playing against somebody off of wi-fi or ask somebody on this website to play you please, and I'll be more than happy to critique you.

duckypwns

Smash Cadet
I don't blame you for anything on this because Mew2King plays against computers all the time. But computers are not caught up with the current metagame, and they never will be. But if you want a critique, post up a video with you playing against somebody off of wi-fi or ask somebody on this website to play you please, and I'll be more than happy to critique you.
I fought a computer character because my wi-fi sucks and I have like 2 good friends which are always busy... X_X

And I have been brawling for about a year now. I just don't have much experience as Dedede.

I usually play as Diddy, Marth, Ganon and a few others.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
you'll only advance in your skills with D3 if you keep practicing with him. just as we all do further our games with him.

Ganon happens to be my secondary D: <3 ganon

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I fought a computer character because my wi-fi sucks and I have like 2 good friends which are always busy... X_X

And I have been brawling for about a year now. I just don't have much experience as Dedede.

I usually play as Diddy, Marth, Ganon and a few others.
Alright well I can tell you that you need to do more reading of the threads here and not just playing with King Dedede. It seems as though that you're not aware of his Chaingrab, so I strongly suggest reading through the "Grand United Royal Guide of King Dedede", and/or the Question History in this thread, if you ever expect to get the experience that you need with King Dedede. You'll be astounded by the amount of information you'll learn from them. And during your discoveries about this character, I'm sure that one of your local pals will play you by then. When you get the experience that you need by doing this, I'll critique your new video and tell you what you should work on from there. Sounds good right?

Tekk

Smash Lord
Ganon sucks. MK's my secondary :p
TIERS ***** !!!!!!¡¡¡!¡¡¡!!!88èè!!!!

...I don't have any secondaries anymore, and I can't play brawl atm anyways lol (my peritel cable is broken)

So yeah Duckypwns: Learn the bases, then play with one of us, we'll be able to critique your dedede better than a video against a CPU lol, good luck on training with teh king !

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
TBH, I stick with one character. That way you know what to do instead of just playing different playstyles that may **** you up in the end.

Top Bottom