• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

good player fund

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I think its a better idea if players pay for "good players" from their own regions to travel. But like if I were a mid level player who had a decent shot at top 3 at a 60man tourney I sure as hell wouldnt pay to have a play come and potential take my spot in bracket/beat me/take all the moneys and leave.

counter intuitive to me.

I could see Cali having the jeff fund and sending him places as opposed to them paying PP to come to them.

LLDL

Smash Hero
ROFL, waffles got like 200 i think for people to buy him a new hard drive to record videos. He used a similar "donate so I can buy a hard drive to upload videos for YOU guys". I'm sure there are more peepee fans that people who care about the quality of his smash videos, so of course they're going to give in.

NJPlayerFinder

Smash Apprentice
(This is JFox)

that's never gonna work, smashers are too cheap or to broke for that sort of thing.

Scar and I used to discuss strategy about how to bring OOS players to create a big tourneys back when brawl was kickin melee's butt.

what u gotta do is throw a tourney and promise a big OOS bonus if u want people to come. Thats how ROM 1 was born. I said "if anyone can place top 3 outside of the tristate area, they will win $100 on top of the payout" than a few people were interested. All of a sudden here comes mango, and that was the first time mango had ever visited EC since pound3, so than everyone wanted to come cuz hype started.

Money brings pros, and pros bring fanboys. The more fanboys, the more the pot grows. The bigger the pot, the more pros wanna get in on the money, and all of a sudden u have a major tourney.

How to raise a sufficient OOS bonus is usually the hard part. Sure u can ask players to donate, but that only goes so far. Best way we came up with was to do what midwest used to do. Hold local tourneys, and hold some of the pot $ aside each time (tell people of course), and than use it for the OOS bonus once u have a lot saved up.

Think about it

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Regional tournaments ARE the good player fund. 90 percent of the people in tournament know they aren't going to win so we are pretty much already giving our money to pros. I always thought that good players use the money they win from regionals to get to nationals. If they spend it on other stuff that's really not anyone else's problem.

*agrees with everything Jfox said*

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Regional tournaments ARE the good player fund. 90 percent of the people in tournament know they aren't going to win so we are pretty much already giving our money to pros. I always thought that good players use the money they win from regionals to get to nationals. If they spend it on other stuff that's really not anyone else's problem.

*agrees with everything Jfox said*
You're basically saying give "bad" players no shot at doing anything and just give there money to "good" people where they won't likely even win and will use the money for things like food or a new ipod? Cause that's what you're saying. Give money away to players. How stupid.

Why should people work a real job to go to play and have fun at tourneys when pros get free money from scrubs who work jobs to get that money?
^
Basically what you're saying. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
You're basically saying give "bad" players no shot at doing anything and just give there money to "good" people where they won't likely even win and will use the money for things like food or a new ipod? Cause that's what you're saying. Give money away to players. How stupid.

Why should people work a real job to go to play and have fun at tourneys when pros get free money from scrubs who work jobs to get that money?
^
Basically what you're saying. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
^^if you're not helping out, i dont see why you should be complaining at all...(other than the fact thats its the internet)

but yea...

it was just something we thought was a cool idea to see players travel to places they usually havent and build hype i guess

and so far we dont have anything to show for it really

only $27.41

but i mean we'll see

i mean out of like 3,000 people we figured like 25 to 50cents wouldnt be much thats why we asked to begin with

hopefully people are willing to

but if anyone doesn't want to help the cause

its best if you just dont

its that simple

complaining about how dumb this is, doesnt help you or us

its just a waste of time pretty much

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I didn't have the intention of creating a flame thread or anything. I really thought that it was an interesting take on tourney participation. this was in no way a petition to not have this happen or something, it just got me thinking of ideas (inspired by this one) and I wanted to see if others would spark something for me to think about. I talked with someone on AIM about it and it did, hence my idea in my above post. I'm certainly not hating and you're smart so I dun think that you were'nt expecting someone to start drinking haterade but just for the record.......Im not hatin, just wanted feedback

sry if it seemed like i tried to make an army of haters

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
I didn't have the intention of creating a flame thread or anything. I really thought that it was an interesting take on tourney participation. this was in no way a petition to not have this happen or something, it just got me thinking of ideas (inspired by this one) and I wanted to see if others would spark something for me to think about. I talked with someone on AIM about it and it did, hence my idea in my above post. I'm certainly not hating and you're smart so I dun think that you were'nt expecting someon to start drinking haterade but just for the record.......Im not hatin, just wanted feedback, of course theres haterade to be consumed but some constructive talk has come of this(well at least it has my way thru aim etc.)

sry if it seemed like i tried to make an army of haters
no worries swift, you didnt do anything wrong at all LOL

i was just thinking, we've never played friendlies man

next time, we got this!!!!!!

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Some Youtube comment post made a good point - what happens if you donate and there ends up not being enough money? Would you get a refund?

Other then technical stuff, I'm all for this. If people want to donate money, then why shouldn't they have a means to do it. $5 to some people is not a lot of money and it certainly can add up and mean a lot to a player.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
Some Youtube comment post made a good point - what happens if you donate and there ends up not being enough money? Would you get a refund?

Other then technical stuff, I'm all for this. If people want to donate money, then why shouldn't they have a means to do it. $5 to some people is not a lot of money and it certainly can add up and mean a lot to a player.
we'll prolly either

-we will prolly put it on hold for a another time

or

-refund everyone back

depending on the situation i guess

and say pp wins the tournament

all of his winnings will go back in the paypal so we can do again for another player or we mite try to pay everyone back with it, who knows...

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Ok. I'm a good Wolf. I regularly place top 10. Fund me for a flight to tourney play 5 and pay my venue fee/singles/doubles?

PM me if you want to give me money. I also require food money so please be generous. :)

I will gladly actually train a lot, if people donate to me. I'm in need.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
If you guys wanna help me I can definitely fly people out for saffron or even teh last rom idc :)

Top Bottom