• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good games for Christmas

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
get an action replay for GameCube so you can screw around in Melee. Orrrr...Wii Music<----fail
soooo, just pick something from a genre you like. If you do, youre probably gonna get a game you end up liking.
action replay so i can screw around in melee?

I was looking at sonic more, it actually looks pretty cool IMO...i've always liked that type of game like the mario/sonic adventure games.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Thanks for all the replies so far/in general guys...definitely some good suggestions. I've never played an online shooter before so maybe COD 5 would be cool, You can't speak with a headset like with PS3 and 360 though right?
Unfortunately no. Treyarch or Activision didn't get the Wii Speak code. The first 3rd Party game that will get the Honor of using Wii speak first will be The Conduit. Despite the absence Call of duty 5 is very fun. The Action gets REALLY heated up after you get the Flame thrower. Though the only problem is that the **** thing is unlocked at Level 65. The Level of Prestige.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you don't like what I've suggested thus far, really the best suggestions I can make are these:

- Metroid Prime
- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Sonic Mega Collection
- Sonic Gems Collection

In other words, go all-out Gamecube. Because Gamecube > PS2 >>> Wii. In my opinion, anyways.

I would suggest an AR, but if you just have a Wii and you've updated past a certain point (which I'm sure you have), it won't work.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
If you don't like what I've suggested thus far, really the best suggestions I can make are these:

- Metroid Prime
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Sonic Mega Collection
- Sonic Gems Collection

In other words, go all-out Gamecube. Because Gamecube > PS2 >>> Wii. In my opinion, anyways.

I would suggest an AR, but if you just have a Wii and you've updated past a certain point (which I'm sure you have), it won't work.
Metroid Prime or Prime 3. Prime 2's story is a bit... done-to-death. And hey, if your suggesting Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, ya might like the first one.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Metroid Prime or Prime 3. Prime 2's story is a bit... done-to-death. And hey, if your suggesting Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, ya might like the first one.
I tried the 1st one. The story was pretty good. I liked it overall but there was one problem I had with it.

The way the talked. Sonic's mouth was completly messed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifv-q225AbY

ignore the commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_HrQb4cPvg

There's also one scene in this one where he talks.

-:bowser:Bowser King

toon_marth

Smash Ace
I tried the 1st one. The story was pretty good. I liked it overall but there was one problem I had with it.

The way the talked. Sonic's mouth was completly messed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifv-q225AbY

ignore the commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_HrQb4cPvg

There's also one scene in this one where he talks.

-:bowser:Bowser King
Yeah the talking animation was pretty lame in the first one. And not much better in two. But hey, this wasn't originally for the gamecube, rather, it was first released on the Sega Dreamcast. But you probably knew that, right?

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman

- Metroid Prime
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Sonic Mega Collection
- Sonic Gems Collection

I dont think i've made any updates to my wii lol. I'll check out the metroid prime 3 game, i've already played sonic adventure 2 and am thinking about getting the Unleashed one

checking out the metroid prime 3 review from IGN. looks cool, kinda like halo. I've never been into those space type games as much as things like mario,kingdom hearts (lol), etc... but it does look good.

I think i have a good amount of idea's now

-GH3 and 4
-sonic unleashed
-metroid prime 3 (maybe)
-twilight princess
-mario galaxy
-god of war 1-2
-CastleVania Judgment (maybe)

lol ok thats a lot for now

Darkslash

Smash Master
checking out the metroid prime 3 review from IGN. looks cool, kinda like halo. I've never been into those space type games as much as things like mario,kingdom hearts (lol), etc... but it does look good.
Please, please for the sake of every one and to spare you from Firus(who would get on the scruff of your neck to take that back) DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT put Metroid in the same league as Halo. Its not good for Nintendo fans becuase some uneducated Xbox360 users will say that Metroid is a rip-off of halo. To spare your self do not say that..

Ahem..

-GH3 and 4
-sonic unleashed
-metroid prime 3 (maybe)
-twilight princess
-mario galaxy
-god of war 1-2
As i said before DO NOT get Guitar Hero 3 AND 4 its one or the other.
Sonic Unleashed for the Wii they say is an okay buy
Metroid Prime 3 if you don't have it you must buy now
Twilight Princess is a Wii must buy
Mario Galaxy is considered one of the best games this generation.Mr. Miyamoto disagrees.
GoW 1-2 are just button mashing fests with cool cinematic scenes to touch.
Judgement is a okay game.

Things if you don't have your list must get

Kingdom Hearts 2: I played 1 but 2 was just better so its a better idea to get 2 instead.
Shadow of the Collosus(sp?): One of the greatest games to grace any system in the 6th generation(PS2,GC,Xbox,dreamcast)
No more heroes: one of a few games that are rated M on the Wii and actually are good. Plus is 19.99 price tag is a REALLY small price to pay.
Call of duty: World at War Wii: A must have shooter. You'll be spending ALOT of time on this game.
Deadly Creatures: Looks like a good game. Hands on say its very enjoyable. Plus you get to beat the crap out of insects and then eat them, with out PETA coming onto your back.

Yea pretty much what you need this christmas. THEN there's 2009, which people say is the year of the Wii.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Kingdom Hearts 2: I played 1 but 2 was just better so its a better idea to get 2 instead.

Yea pretty much what you need this christmas. THEN there's 2009, which people say is the year of the Wii.
Don't forget about Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories, coming out Dec. 2 for PS2, I will say you should only consider this if you've ever been a fan of both KH and card style gaming, otherwise don't, though I sure will.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
As i said before DO NOT get Guitar Hero 3 AND 4 its one or the other.
Sonic Unleashed for the Wii they say is an okay buy
Metroid Prime 3 if you don't have it you must buy now
Twilight Princess is a Wii must buy
Mario Galaxy is considered one of the best games this generation.Mr. Miyamoto disagrees.
GoW 1-2 are just button mashing fests with cool cinematic scenes to touch.
Judgement is a okay game.

Things if you don't have your list must get

Shadow of the Collosus(sp?): One of the greatest games to grace any system in the 6th generation(PS2,GC,Xbox,dreamcast)
No more heroes: one of a few games that are rated M on the Wii and actually are good. Plus is 19.99 price tag is a REALLY small price to pay.
Call of duty: World at War Wii: A must have shooter. You'll be spending ALOT of time on this game.
Deadly Creatures: Looks like a good game. Hands on say its very enjoyable. Plus you get to beat the crap out of insects and then eat them, with out PETA coming onto your back.

-I don't see the problem with getting both GH's. Last year i got 1 and 2 at the same time and it was fun.
-Metroid prime looks pretty good but i've never been that into the space type games. I just prefer the "brighter" games the majority of the time if that makes any sense at all lol. My brother said he thinks they look like crap but my friend said they were alright. I looked at the review and it looks decent
-I started twilight princess tonight but my friend then took it back because he wanted to play again after seeing me play it haha. I don't mind cause i wasn't going to play it much right away anyway.
-Gotta find mario galaxy, i hid it somewhere awhile ago lol.
-I somewhat agree with the God of War games but they're still cool and take some strategy. I wish i did a harder level though, I'll do that when i start 2
-I've played KH1 and 2. 1 was great...got through it 1.5 times and stopped half way through the second time. The 2nd one was a lot of fun too but so many cut scenes and definitely worse IMO.
-lol i just started Shadow of Collosus too a few weeks ago and stopped when i remembered i still had God of War to play. I can't see me playing this unless i get really bored because i have the other games i think would be better.
-Gonna try to get COD definitely. Not so sure about the Deadly creatures

**** thats a lot of games :D. Nothing is really grabbing me like how it was when the new super smash game was about to come out but they still seem cool

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I guess it depends on what games you already have.

I'm actually looking forward to getting Guitar Hero III for the Wii...

Being in college I don't have much time to play around with video games. One of my suitemates has a Wii and we play Brawl often but that's about it. So during winter and summer breaks, that's when I do my gaming.

My friend also bought me Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for my birthday and I've started it so far, but since I'm going back to college tomorrow, I'll have to wait til Xmas time to play. So I guess it'll be sort of like an Xmas present.

And that's about it for Xmas. I might get the new Tales game for Xmas or I might save it for next summer when I have much more time to play.

Deception

Smash Ace
I dont think i've made any updates to my wii lol. I'll check out the metroid prime 3 game, i've already played sonic adventure 2 and am thinking about getting the Unleashed one

I think i have a good amount of idea's now

-GH3 and 4
-sonic unleashed
-metroid prime 3 (maybe)
-twilight princess
-mario galaxy
-god of war 1-2

lol ok thats a lot for now
-Get 4 only, buying 3 with it is too expensive
- If you can stand going through the boring werewolf parts, its a good Sonic game, but maybe better as a rental
- definite yes
- buy it, Zelda fans are stupid nowadays, so don't let them convince you its horrible
-best Mario platformer ever
-no clue, never played them
-I think Judgment is cool, but not everyone would agree. Its slightly less deep fighter than Brawl, but lots of fun, and it has a better online than brawl. And if you love Castlevania, definitely check this out.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
I guess it depends on what games you already have.

I'm actually looking forward to getting Guitar Hero III for the Wii...

Being in college I don't have much time to play around with video games. One of my suitemates has a Wii and we play Brawl often but that's about it. So during winter and summer breaks, that's when I do my gaming.

My friend also bought me Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for my birthday and I've started it so far, but since I'm going back to college tomorrow, I'll have to wait til Xmas time to play. So I guess it'll be sort of like an Xmas present.

And that's about it for Xmas. I might get the new Tales game for Xmas or I might save it for next summer when I have much more time to play.
It's the same for me. With the classes i have and my schedule in general the only time i'll sit down and really play a game is when theres extended time off like thanksgiving, Christmas, spring, and summer break. The only exception is melee often since my brother has been home from college so we usually play at least a little bit most days.

-Get 4 only, buying 3 with it is too expensive
- If you can stand going through the boring werewolf parts, its a good Sonic game, but maybe better as a rental
- definite yes
- buy it, Zelda fans are stupid nowadays, so don't let them convince you its horrible
-best Mario platformer ever
-no clue, never played them
-I think Judgment is cool, but not everyone would agree. Its slightly less deep fighter than Brawl, but lots of fun, and it has a better online than brawl. And if you love Castlevania, definitely check this out.
wait so is that judgment game a fighting game? I thought it was mainly a story mode type game but the way you mentioned it seems like a fighting game with online options and also when i saw the review it basically just showed fighting scenes

as far as God of War i suggest you play if you at all like RPG's. I've never been that much into them but its a great game and i hear 2 is even better

like i said i unfortunately can't find Mario Galaxy anywhere :(, My friend is gonna let me borrow twilight princess. You may be right about sonic, the problem with me getting rentals is that i never usually sit down and play a 1 player game for hours so i couldn't just rent it for a week even if it was over the summer or xmas break, I wouldn't finish. To be honest a lot of these games i'm going to get will probably take me a long time to finish since i have a lot of work to do generally so I think all of these will keep me entertained for a long time considering i'm generally never bored in the first place lol :D

My brother just brought up how we should get World at War for the wii, so us playing some co-op thing or going online should be pretty cool too

Darkslash

Smash Master
My brother just brought up how we should get World at War for the wii, so us playing some co-op thing or going online should be pretty cool too
Unfortunately the Wii version of World at War does not have Spilt screen co-op. Instead it has squadmate mode, or as Ign calls it, Yoda mode OR as Activison calls it "Girl Friend mode" So its just another crosshair on the screen but it may be nostalgic for some players becuase of Jet Force Gemini who had a similar mode.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately the Wii version of World at War does not have Spilt screen co-op. Instead it has squadmate mode, or as Ign calls it, Yoda mode OR as Activison calls it "Girl Friend mode" So its just another crosshair on the screen but it may be nostalgic for some players becuase of Jet Force Gemini who had a similar mode.
wow that sucks. so is it it like that for the "story mode" co-op and playing online together? It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the story mode since thats how were used to playing 2 player arcade games at the boardwalk lol

Is there a 2-4 player mode when theres a split screen and you can play eachother?

The reviews seem to think using the wii controller sucks, are there any other options other than the nun chuck/zapper set up?

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
OP, heres some titles i asking for that maybe you would like,
Sonic Unleased
Animal Crossing City Folk (finally played an animal corssing game and found it very addicting)
Guitar Hero World Tour
Call of Duty World at War
Sonic The Darkhood Chronicles
(as you can tell i only have a wii of the currant gen consoles)

Darkslash

Smash Master
wow that sucks. so is it it like that for the "story mode" co-op and playing online together? It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the story mode since thats how were used to playing 2 player arcade games at the boardwalk lol

Is there a 2-4 player mode when theres a split screen and you can play eachother?

The reviews seem to think using the wii controller sucks, are there any other options other than the nun chuck/zapper set up?
Its only Single Player. Online is only Death Match and Hardcore TDM. No split Screen either.

IF you plan to go online make sure some one else isn't using internet or your Wi-Fi is good. My game crashed because it lagged so much and it was going back and forth for a a good 3 minutes on-line, then played single and crashed.

2-4 player mode would crash the game unfortunately.

The Wii control is above average but unless you're a super Wii FPS expert you won't really notice any thing.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
OP, heres some titles i asking for that maybe you would like,
Sonic Unleased
Animal Crossing City Folk (finally played an animal corssing game and found it very addicting)
Guitar Hero World Tour
Call of Duty World at War
Sonic The Darkhood Chronicles
(as you can tell i only have a wii of the currant gen consoles)
similar to what i'm asking for except i don't think i'd like animal crossing. Might not get sonic either

Its only Single Player. Online is only Death Match and Hardcore TDM. No split Screen either.

IF you plan to go online make sure some one else isn't using internet or your Wi-Fi is good. My game crashed because it lagged so much and it was going back and forth for a a good 3 minutes on-line, then played single and crashed.

2-4 player mode would crash the game unfortunately.

The Wii control is above average but unless you're a super Wii FPS expert you won't really notice any thing.
wait a minute so your saying that the online is only for 1 player at a time?? wow that blows. Whats Hardcore TDM?

so the only way to play with 2 people is in the "story mode" co op? other than that the only things you can do in the game is 1 player "story mode" and 1 player online right?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'll be getting animal crossing city folk for my little bro. =P Course, i'll be playing it too. haha.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't get guitar hero. I remember the first time I played it was so unbelievably awesome I thought I'd play forever. I played like 5 more times and I was thinking "Is this It? Did I just spend $90 on a game where I hit dots?" After exploring the game for 20 more minutes I found out that was it, no story, cool modes, nothing.

Recommended:
DS (DS beats Wii any day)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3 (If you get motion sickness easily then no)
Okami
Boom Blox
Animal Crossing
Get World of Goo on Wiiware. Now

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't get guitar hero. I remember the first time I played it was so unbelievably awesome I thought I'd play forever. I played like 5 more times and I was thinking "Is this It? Did I just spend $90 on a game where I hit dots?" After exploring the game for 20 more minutes I found out that was it, no story, cool modes, nothing.

Recommended:
DS (DS beats Wii any day)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3 (If you get motion sickness easily then no)
Okami
Boom Blox
Animal Crossing
Get World of Goo on Wiiware. Now
Just saw this now. I think it's just you with GH, it can get boring but it's still really big.

I have a DS and most of those games I already talked about

Also my brother just decided to buy World at War for the wii so thats out too lol. I have only played the co op mode so far as the back up guy so i can't say much but its not bad. Online looks fun

Darkslash

Smash Master
similar to what i'm asking for except i don't think i'd like animal crossing. Might not get sonic either

wait a minute so your saying that the online is only for 1 player at a time?? wow that blows. Whats Hardcore TDM?
There's just no co-op online, that's all. Hardcore Team Death Match, is as close as you can get to real life. Bullets can do 1 kills to the chest and no Heads up Display.

Top Bottom