• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

good enough for tournaments?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Hey! You don't have to be good to go to tournaments! Tournaments are how you get better, and you end up making a lot of friends who will help you improve.

You're in well enough shape to go to a tourney. =)

LLDL

Smash Hero
You guys are good enough. But you don't just practice and THEN go to tournaments. In this game, it is facing against humans that you normally don't play against that will gain you massive experience. So start going, and continue going to increase from your current level of skill.

keeper

Smash Champion
You're way better than I was before my first tournament. Just know that with you only playing your friends some people may set you guys off quite a bit with their style.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Your never too bad to go to tournaments. Its the fastest / best / funnest way to get better. Don't be nervous about going ever. Just go and have fun. Most of the smash community is pretty chill.

mAcKoZ

Smash Cadet
okok thanks guys haha
by the way can you guys suggest on any improvements for them?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
my advice would be to go to a tournament but just play friendlies all day for the first few times. it's a good way of gauging whether you think you are good enough. I personally still think I suck so I never enter tourneys. plus, if it's your first time playing, i don't think you should waste money joining because it's highly unlikely that you're gonna win =/. I know tourneys aren't about winning, but, at the same time, if you just wanna play for fun and just get a feel for the game, it's best to just pay the door fee and see what it's like.

scarletshinobi

Smash Cadet
There's never a point where "you are good enough for a tourney" Just go to one and experience it but dont go thinking you'll win. a First tourney is a must, and as long as you leave the tourney with the feeling that you learned something. Don't leave and be bummed out if people ***** you. and try to ask for advice from the players you play, or people that were watching. First tourney is always fun and exciting. =)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well, You guys are on your way to getting good but your game needs a lot of work, I saw several times one of you would try for a bair or something or other while something like a dair would have been FAR more efficient.

If you run into someone that plays fairly smart you'll probably get wrecked, cause from what I saw you cant adapt to well yet either. Dont try to go to your first tournament to win (Especially if its a big one) but go to them expecting to get better, thats what I've spent the last five tournaments doing. (Even though I DID get bracket gayed in the alst one lol)

To expand on what someone else says, if you get the oppurtunity to get trained by a better player, for however breif a time take it! Cause if their wrecking you then they obviously know something you dont and can help you.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
only thing i saw was that falco needs to work on edgeguards. a lot.

and trust me. Youre ready. Im worse than you guys and i still go to tournies. Its just fun. Doesn't matter that i suck. I get better each time.

Falcade

Smash Cadet
So I can be worse than these guys and still go to tournies? Would people frown upon me and beat me up for being a noob? I'd just want to play friendlies, but would people play with me since I'm a n@b? I'm more technical than the Falco in the video, but it doesn't mean I'm better :(

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
You both are loads better than me. I haven't been to a Melee tourney yet, and I probably won't get to any time soon. However, same thing as everyone else. Don't expect a win. You can shoot for it, but don't be disappointed if you get the "best" person in the house for the first match. Just pay attention to everyone else, and try to learn something. Asking questions can get you far.

BankaiPwn

Smash Cadet
So I can be worse than these guys and still go to tournies? Would people frown upon me and beat me up for being a noob? I'd just want to play friendlies, but would people play with me since I'm a n@b? I'm more technical than the Falco in the video, but it doesn't mean I'm better :(
doubt it. I've been playing casually for a couple months tops, (maybe once or twice a week, and even less recently) and I went to my first, got totally crushed, but learned a lot and got to play a lot. The overall smash community is a very friendly one, and I think it's because everyone was once in that position.

As it's been stated multiple times, going to tournaments is a great way to learn, especially if you can get in a lot of friendlies, IMO because it forces you to learn a bit more of how people play, and that in itself opens up a lot. For example, I can play against my friends over and over again, but after a while you become accustomed to their playing style, and if you've never gone to tournies before, you'll realize quickly that there are many other ways of playing, and from that your knowledge increases (bleh... been repeating myself forever, I tend to do that)

tl;dr... go to tournies and play friendlies if you can :)

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Put it this way: at my first tourney, Zhu was chill with me randomly deciding to throw M2 at him. I got 2x4ed (I also tried Marth, got owned).

They'll beat the snot out of you. They all will. I think that's called tough love. Even now, I still go 1-4 against the grand majority of players in my area. I think I'm lucky if I somehow pull 3-4.

keeper

Smash Champion
Well, You guys are on your way to getting good but your game needs a lot of work, I saw several times one of you would try for a bair or something or other while something like a dair would have been FAR more efficient.

If you run into someone that plays fairly smart you'll probably get wrecked, cause from what I saw you cant adapt to well yet either. Dont try to go to your first tournament to win (Especially if its a big one) but go to them expecting to get better, thats what I've spent the last five tournaments doing. (Even though I DID get bracket gayed in the alst one lol)

To expand on what someone else says, if you get the oppurtunity to get trained by a better player, for however breif a time take it! Cause if their wrecking you then they obviously know something you dont and can help you.
You played BC and Kaos, how did you get bracket gayed? It's not like you had to fight Shane then Otto or something.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea, send em to the tourney.

Just tell them not to get discouraged if they get ***** and for them to stay humble if they **** somebody.

There is always somebody out there who is better. just try to be the best that you can be(and then get better lol)

kafkametamorph

Smash Cadet
Smash people love other smash people, just go!
seriously. it's more fun that way. Plus you don't get better playing the same person over and over once you reach a certian point, you'll all improve at teh toruney, and end up learning tricks from eachother when you're playing again at home. I love going to toruney's, I even help have a few, and I was right around where you guys are when I first started going, IDK, I didn't watch a ton, but it seemed like you were playing against eachother and knew what to expect a little.

go to a tourney, play as much as you can, you'll love it! and you improve a ton after your first tournament.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
doubt it. I've been playing casually for a couple months tops, (maybe once or twice a week, and even less recently) and I went to my first, got totally crushed, but learned a lot and got to play a lot. The overall smash community is a very friendly one, and I think it's because everyone was once in that position.

As it's been stated multiple times, going to tournaments is a great way to learn, especially if you can get in a lot of friendlies, IMO because it forces you to learn a bit more of how people play, and that in itself opens up a lot. For example, I can play against my friends over and over again, but after a while you become accustomed to their playing style, and if you've never gone to tournies before, you'll realize quickly that there are many other ways of playing, and from that your knowledge increases (bleh... been repeating myself forever, I tend to do that)

tl;dr... go to tournies and play friendlies if you can :)
Im impressed Sam. You've only been playing for a while, and you already have the right mindset. =D

Top Bottom