• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gippsland Smash

S.D

Smash Master
Welcome to the budding Gippsland Smash community.
Instigated by FMS Kenny with a quest to assist 'Falcon find Love', the local scene from the Latrobe Valley and beyond is up into the 20s.
Some four tournaments have been run to date and we are now looking to expand on this with the potential for regular meetups, bi-weeklys and possible tournaments in future.
Please post here if you're a smash player living in Gippsland and we can discuss potential meetups!
Feel free to contact me here or on 0411 752 966 for small get togethers and practice.

A little background on myself; I've been an active member of the smash community since 2007/08 and have been a tournament regular in various states of Australia ever since. I am a melee player with an interest in PM as well. I live in Traralgon and work in Morwell, so hit me up if you're in the area!

Most local players are members of this Facebook Group so join up if you're interested in playing.

Gippsland now has its own Youtube channel

Falcon Finds Love #3 - 10 Players :( -

Some crazy **** happened that unfortunately we missed on recordings.

Thought I was going to take game one in WF and choked hardcore.

S.D pit next level tho.

1. S.D :pit:
2. FMSKenny :ganondorf::marth:
3. Doozy :gw::ness2:

4. Red Leader Dolan :diddy::falcon:

6. Blake :zelda:

6. Everise :metaknight:

8. Makunda :sonic::bowser2::marth:

8. Juggers :ganondorf::snake:

10. ItzFungus :lucas::charizard::metaknight:

10. Noddy :mario2::lucario::samus2:

Last edited:

Alister

Smash Rookie
You are not prepared, the combat drop will come like a burning sun, ready to strike down those who defy... the wombat.

Splice

Smash Hero
I either live in Melbourne or Chandlers Creek (during holiday periods).

One of them is not Gippsland and the other is so deep in the bush that it's named after a dirty puddle. I'm closer to the Gippsland people when I'm in Melbourne than when I'm in Gippsland haha
If we ever do crews I'd like to rep Gippsland though

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
It has come to my attention that there is a pocket of smash activity in the Gippsland region.
A local smasher named Jason has run four tournaments with turnouts of 10-20 people to date
holy ****
where were these tournaments advertised?
smeshbordz?

Last edited:

Nido

ily Sebby
Jesus so much Link.

Oh hey there's another ness main in australia that's nice to know. I wanna come to gippsland and play him but it's so far away :(

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
what a fantastic tournament history and character diversity
if you can manage to grab some sort of town hall (end of june/early july, school and uni is off) who knows how big a gippsland tournament could get
be awesome for the two scenes to meet, and to some small extent merge

FMSKenny

Smash Rookie
I'll do some investigating once University finishes. I'm hoping by the end of the year we'll be able to have a "Best of Melbourne" vs "The Entirety of Gippsland" for Crews ;P

Splice

Smash Hero
id go to traralgon for a tournament if the date suits

Good to see that Gippslands view of Fox mirrors Melbournes.

Last edited:

Doozy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cattlelauncher
Jesus so much Link.

Oh hey there's another ness main in australia that's nice to know. I wanna come to gippsland and play him but it's so far away :(
I'm actually situated in Melbourne. I should probably come to tourneys and other meets.
Also, when you say "another" do you mean to say you were the only one you knew of?

Nido

ily Sebby
Yeah, I thought I was the only Ness main around.

So... I heard you like PK Fire, I like PK Fire. Are we best friends?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
we only learned about pk fire at BAM, so you're ahead in the project m metagame

Hampton Furton

Smash Rookie
I've attended one of Jason's tournaments (See Blake in FFL2).
I consider myself reasonably poor in skill, but aspiring to do better. Being from northern Melbourne fringe suburbs, making it to Gippsland can be an ask, but being friends with Jason means I'll make it when I can be ****ed/time permits.
I've really been playing p:m exclusively, though if the Gipps scene shifts to melee I may be persuaded to learn melee falcon.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
A lot of people seem to be starting with PM these days, which is awesome! I had never really expected PM mains to emerge without having first taken on Melee or Brawl.

Hughie

Smash Lad
Yeah, I thought I was the only Ness main around.

So... I heard you like PK Fire, I like PK Fire. Are we best friends?
Only reason you win is because of your Ness jank. I've played you enough too not let your jank overcome me

Last edited:

Hampton Furton

Smash Rookie
I certainly played a lot of smash 64, brawl and some melee, but never really took an interest in learning intermediate and advanced techs until p:m.
That said, haven't done a great job of learning most techs, but getting there.

Splice

Smash Hero
Only reason you win is because of your Ness jank. I've played you enough too not let your jank overcome me
Nah, it's because Melee players have no idea at all how to abuse SDI in the Brawl engine. I'm rusty on my SDI too, with Mewtwo at least you can hit Ness if he tries anything other than grab and I can just UpB away if I think he is going for grab.
Granted, Fox/Falco/DK probably have a ridiculous time actually trying to SDI out of PK Fire so fair enough for them.

lol "Gippsland"

You Aussie's are so silly.
haha get 420n0sk0peBANNED you cheeky scrub

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Would love to enter a Gippland tournament. My best game is Brawl, but hey, Brawl is for noobs; it takes no skill at all.
But Melee would be fun, and I'd love to try out Project M for the first time. Though I'm not fussed with the game choice, as long as it isn't SSB1.

S.D

Smash Master
I started getting out of PK fire after a while, it's not that hard to mash both sticks up or left.
I think it's more the fact it explodes on shield now that makes it irritating.

Last edited:

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
I started getting out of PK fire after a while, it's not that hard to mash both sticks up or left.
I think it's more the fact it explodes on shield now that makes it irritating.
Yup, one of my friends who is a complete noob just goes ness and spams PK fire in P:M. Nearly breaks shield half the time and the other he just reads my DI because I told him about it and punishes. Jankiest Jank TM

Splice

Smash Hero
I went to the P:M Ness thread to see if there are frames between the fire where you can just roll out (pretty sure there are anyway).
There isn't even frame data for his SideB there, zzz

More data pls

Still tho PK Fire is average if you can identify whether to SDI up or away fast enough. Ness is not gr8, but if you hit him before UpB it keeps going, plus it moves a fair bit faster than in Melee, so make sure you are very aware of how much time you have and that the move you hit with can kill or at least knock him very far back so you can edgeguard.

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
I went to the P:M Ness thread to see if there are frames between the fire where you can just roll out (pretty sure there are anyway).
There isn't even frame data for his SideB there, zzz

More data pls

Still tho PK Fire is average if you can identify whether to SDI up or away fast enough. Ness is not gr8, but if you hit him before UpB it keeps going, plus it moves a fair bit faster than in Melee, so make sure you are very aware of how much time you have and that the move you hit with can kill or at least knock him very far back so you can edgeguard.
Hmm, I tend to end up SDIing backwards and jumping out/wavedashing out. Edgeguarding is easy, he barely uses thunder, uses magnet to stall.

I'm pretty sure when PK fire activates on shield you can roll away from it without being hit.
Didn't realise that, thanks. The problem with that become once I'm hit if I'm still shielding/haven't rolled away or if he reads it and jumps > PK fire.

Splice

Smash Hero
Brawl had it right that you could reflect the PK fire even after activation. That's something I do miss.
Well the intention of P:M is partly to make all characters viable. Having PK Fire actually be a half-decent move isn't really a bad thing.
We've already figured out that if you know what you're doing you never have to get locked down by PK-Fire, and considering he usually jumps to use it that's not always difficult at all, so there's not really a problem.

If you played Melee before P:M, than what you should miss is the hurtbox on Mewtwo's Tail.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Nothing against those who use Ness or the character himself, but his PK fire is bulls**t. Nuff said.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
PK fire can be reflected after activation, especially with a crouch cancelled perfect shield

The easy way to get out is to crouch cancel and then buffer a roll with the C-Stick so you don't get hit, but you have to mix up where your roll.

SDI is so hard if you're not some super duper floaty character, I couldn't SDI out with Lucas or squirtle and I was mashing crazy

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
PK fire can be reflected after activation, especially with a crouch cancelled perfect shield

The easy way to get out is to crouch cancel and then buffer a roll with the C-Stick so you don't get hit, but you have to mix up where your roll.

SDI is so hard if you're not some super duper floaty character, I couldn't SDI out with Lucas or squirtle and I was mashing crazy
Thanks a bunch for letting us know. I play Lucas a lot and I know how it feels xD

Are we getting off topic from 'Gippsland Smash?'

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Thanks a bunch for letting us know. I play Lucas a lot and I know how it feels xD

Are we getting off topic from 'Gippsland Smash?'
I think so, but all this talk about PK fire is making me think of Ness and Lucas repeatadly saying "PK fire! PK fire!"
Ugh, make it stop. :dizzy:

Top Bottom