• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GimR: The Case For Legalizing "Custom Miis"

While #MiiWiik has passed here on Smashboards, a lot of discussion is still happening regarding how Miis should be treated in Smash 4's ruleset. It has been suggested that they should be banned or be made altogether legal, and a majority of discussions and polls have agreed that the 1-1-1-1 option currently used is not the best. GimR, owner of VGBootcamp, has created a video breaking down his own personal reasoning on why people should #FriiTheMiis. Give it a watch!

Agree or disagree with the video? Tell us in the comments below! To learn more about Miis check out our articles by Mii experts on Brawler, Gunner, and Swordfighter.

Comments

I've always been in favor of the use of Miis with alternative specials, but in my opinion in the competitive scene, to work properly, there would have to be imposed 2 rules before starting the matches: specify the weight and type of combination (1221 etc), so that the opponent has a notion on what he's dealing with allowing to plan the match up beforehand, otherwise the Mii player actually will start the match at advantage because of their unknown moveset. And in that sense it would apply even to Palutena too since the game brought with alternative specials already which means she is special and had extra work. Also she only breakes one only rule from Gimr's statement. This would only further enrich the meta game by adding new match ups.
My solution to the weight class is default, max high, and max short IF adjustments to weight class were allowed. Then again the masses will cry out foul play. But that is also apart of the game. It was stated that the height of Mii's in Mii Maker would change their weight class in Smash.

Hole in argument:
1) Are custom moves banned because they are simply customized versions of moves?

Well, we ought to ask ourselves, why are custom moves not allowed?
What are the arguments?
a) perceived logistical problems.
b) 'players must work hard to unlock them all!'
c) some moves are seen as overpowered
d) 'spammable'
e) top level players expressed distaste at them, and people followed (despite obvious biases)

If we do ban customized moves arbitrarily, is it customized moves which people have problems with or customized character fighters?

Custom Mii Fighters should be legal, and that is because the main arguments against Custom moves in general are empty and flawed.

a) logistical problems can be easily prevented by simply one person with a 3ds, thanks to the custom moveset project.
b) players only need to unlock the custom moves they are going to use in order to practice using custom moves. You only might want your main's custom moves and possibly your secondary's. Moreover, what EVO 2015 demonstrated too well is you don't need any custom moves to participate when they are legal.
-- Difficulty at obtaining them is an argument which would apply much better towards the DLC stages and characters being banned, but we clearly don't care about that.
c) being overpowered is why we ban Sheik right? No? ok. This argument is pretty much the embodiment of cowardice.
d) spammable (ie. brain dead) has never been a criteria for banning. Very few custom moves are spammable in the first place.
e) Top level players--- the goal is winning. In this sense, they already have everything they want. If they can just keep everything the same, they can be in their top positions for the whole game's life. We should not see such biased people as leaders, and we should not trust their word/authority on controversial debates.
I just had to quote all this because there was no better way I could have said this. Very good job!

I like what you said about Sheik and the Top Players parts...

If being upset about a move being overpowered or something, we would or should have banned Sheik and anyone else that would be considered "too good" or overpowered.

As with the top players, like ZeRo and others, like you said:
All they want is to be in top positions throughout the whole life of the game. Anything that gets in their way is seen as a threat and they will be sure to try their best to stomp it out.

So for me, I too want all custom moves for all characters to be legal.

Edit:
Oh and about the difficulty at obtaining them...
Even if there was no better way to do it, I'm surprised no one had suggested to use cheat codes from a cheat device to obtain all the custom moves for all characters on a tournaments Wii U.

Last edited:
Do ya'll think it would be smart for someone to link this discussion to a TO or someone with status to link or talk about the dilemma with TO's? The conversation we are having here is full of great ideas and notes of concern, but I feel it may be better if we received feedback from any TO or someone they will consider listening to. If someone could go about this, that would be great but we cannot be rash with it and take an agressive/hateful stance.

Edit #1: Ouch, Tantalus's response hurts. I guess it's another case of the "either or" fallacy. Either "you're with America or the terrorist", sounds To me like an ultimatum was issued.

Edit #2: For reference, in one of the previous articles regarding Mii fighters, it was stated loosely that smashers who actually play Mii's would rather be given the choice to use them to their full potential or ban them altogther.

Last edited:
Quick question to fellow smashers, do you guys/gals believe that since the popular opinion is expressed by many smashers, top players, and those that support the opposite get bashed is the reason that changes to the rule-set are unlikely even with evidence stacked on both sides (flawed or one-sided)?
Who cares? I just wanna play like I usually do.

Completely random, always experimenting, not much care about how the battle goes. I just wanna have a good time. I think that's what this game is supposed to be. Not some super, over-the-top, spasticly hyped game. Salty? Stop ruining my game. Racist names? Get outta here. Just go. Don't talk what you can't give...

If we were to include Palutena in this discussion, Gimir's last point regarding "only using characters allowed with customs turned off," would invalidate Palutena to her default specials but alas that is not what this thread is for and would cause an uproar not worth fighting for.
It's just my wishful thinking wanting to get this out since Gimir's video is posted here instead of making a separate thread for the minute subject and I feel that Gimir's point regarding Sakurai giving Mii fighters "special moves" rather than customs as defined by Gimir in the above video could also be applied to Palutena's case.
I'm honestly surprised that this is really the only meaningful mention of Palutena thus far, as there's one very large issue concerning this exact character.

See, Gimr specifically specified that he felt alleged custom moves had to fit within 2 of the 3 criteria, not all of them. As Palutena still gets around points #1 and #2, that'd mean that her alternate specials are also not truly custom moves. Was this intentional, meaning that he also does not consider Palutena's other specials as customs? Did he flat-out not know about the way hers work? It's honestly pretty hard to tell; he managed to go through the entire video without bringing her up at all (I was waiting literally the entire time too, lol), but at the same time specifying that only 2 points needed to be met was very specific and wouldn't make sense to put in if he wasn't aware.

Personally, I think Mii fighters should be legal. Ideally we'd be able to give them full freedom, but with tournament time pressure locking Mii players into a single moveset strikes me as far from unreasonable (prefereably one chosen by the player at the start of the tourney, though limiting by move viability would also work. Undecided on sizes, currently leaning towards a similar viewpoint as with moves). Regardless, this is a rather gaping hole in his argument as it is now and no matter why he didn't bring Palutena up its something that he'll likely have to go into detail on later.

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised that this is really the only meaningful mention of Palutena thus far, as there's one very large issue concerning this exact character.

See, Gimr specifically specified that he felt alleged custom moves had to fit within 2 of the 3 criteria, not all of them. As Palutena still gets around points #1 and #2, that'd mean that her alternate specials are also not truly custom moves. Was this intentional, meaning that he also does not consider Palutena's other specials as customs? Did he flat-out not know about the way hers work? It's honestly pretty hard to tell; he managed to go through the entire video without bringing her up at all (I was waiting literally the entire time too, lol), but at the same time specifying that only 2 points needed to be met was very specific and wouldn't make sense to put in if he wasn't aware.

Personally, I think Mii fighters should be legal. Ideally we'd be able to give them full freedom, but with tournament time pressure locking Mii players into a single moveset strikes me as far from unreasonable (prefereably one chosen by the player at the start of the tourney, though limiting by move viability would also work. Undecided on sizes, currently leaning towards a similar viewpoint as with moves). Regardless, this is a rather gaping hole in his argument as it is now and no matter why he didn't bring Palutena up its something that he'll likely have to go into detail on later.
Uh, he said on Twitter and in the YT comments that he does think Palutena should have her customs.

Uh, he said on Twitter and in the YT comments that he does think Palutena should have her customs.
...Oh... Well, derp. I don't really check either of those, thanks for informing me. I feel like there's gonna be issues held with that all the same, though.

Last edited:
My opinion on the matter:

Custom moves: I think each Mii fighter (Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner) should have like 4 different combination (those being the best and most popular). When you counterpick character, you'll also counterpick combination, treating each combination as a different character. This won't be that difficult for TO's, 4 for each is reasonable I think.

Weight/Size: I think different weight/sizes should be banned. It feels so different from all the other character, it could also be difficult to make it work well on bigger tournaments.

I just got finished reading the "twitlonger" link and the guy clearly states and I quote, "There are plenty of characters that are very straightforward. Being able to do something crazy does not mean that it should be legal in tournament play." -@GwJSmash.

Using this logic anyone can bring the argument around in a full circle if they so please, by complaining about the kill strings and ways to rack up damage presented by: Shiek, Bayonetta, Meta-Knight, Cloud, Zero Suit Samus, etc. Practically any character that people find fault with is considered OP or bannable (including the multitude of under-explored/represented characters). Yet for whatever reason the aforementioned characters survive and Mii's are blacklisted to bans. I'm not saying that I want any of the aforementioned characters banned, rather I find that this debate can be thrown in favor of both sides due to so many scenarios explained by the community on a variety of social networks.

I believe that this debate may go on for the lifespan of Smash 4, but due to Tantalus the war over Mii's may as well be lost since he said they are banned. It's sad to get ruffled by rules made for the public to enjoy a video-game on the large stage but as I said earlier, albeit in different words, a half-hearted (too harsh) compromise on Mii legality will never allow both sides to come to mutual agreement on all fronts.

I feel like @erico9001 can word it better and already has.

As much as I want full customization of Miis to be legal, the community/TOs are too stubborn for it to ever realistically happen. The Mii players agreeing on a best set for each character would easily be the most viable option at the moment, I feel. For example, most Gunner players agree 3312 is the best moveset for Gunner, so that's the one that'll be used in tournaments. Both sides win in some capacity.
The problem with that is many other characters have a superior custom moveset. If miis are allowed to stick with thier most optimal moveset then why shouldn't other characters?

EDIT: After watching the video: I am not convinced at all. He didn't address any argument whatsoever. All he did was make up his own definition for custom moves. This is something I could do and make a counter-argument with easily.

If he had actually addressed the arguments against custom moves he could have swayed me, despite his video declaring otherwise as if he dropped some cold hard facts.

Last edited:
My opinion on the matter:

Custom moves: I think each Mii fighter (Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner) should have like 4 different combination (those being the best and most popular). When you counterpick character, you'll also counterpick combination, treating each combination as a different character. This won't be that difficult for TO's, 4 for each is reasonable I think.

Weight/Size: I think different weight/sizes should be banned. It feels so different from all the other character, it could also be difficult to make it work well on bigger tournaments.
I know this sounds like a good idea but on the assumption that a particular player has a play-style regarding moves that are not allowed out of the "popular" ones. They would not be able to show off their new strategy to the public and will forever remain silent unless they post it online and get some if any recognition there.

As far as weights go, I suggested default, max high, or max low. Sure the community will cause an uproar because it is unfair as I stated earlier and also someone will say "the game rules do not define how we play smash" or something long those lines, but look at it this way.
We all or have or will get the chance to fight normal characters of any weight class. So we'll just have to learn the matchup.

In response to the negativity this post will receive. I have the following to say: For those of us trying to get good at smash whether it's vs. friends, people at a tournament, or learning bad match-ups with your favorite characters we all have to adjust our play-style to overcome the obstacle obstructing our path. Refusing to do so for 3 characters with a lot of neglected depth just because they were ignored for over a year is not a good excuse in my book. Many of us have faced short characters like Pikachu, Olimar, Kirby, Jigglypuff, etc. So we as a Smash community should hopefully have the basics down for combating those particular characters.

What if we don't? Then do what we as players do during a tourney, adapt.

Disclaimer: I know my following post can be rebutted and many of my points can and will be turned again me, yada-yada-yada, and so forth.
I'm just putting my opinion out there to see if people are willing to consider my opinion, read fully or not.

Edit #1: In the end it all comes down to whether we are willing to change now or never, some people tried to change the smash 4 scene at the beginning of it's lifespan with talk of custom moves but were swiftly silenced by those around them.

Edit #2: The longer we wait, the harder it will be implement changes.

Last edited:
I agree with giving Mii's their custom moves, and sizes if we can get that far. However, full customs should never be allowed in all tournaments, and people pressing this is a huge fear.

The main reason that custom tournaments have been interesting to watch is that people are not abusing the broken ones, and it is usually only the top tiers that really get to abuse them. Sheik gets more options, Rosalina gets directly better options for all of their uses, Sonic can camp and is nearly impossible to approach, Mario's up b can combo into kill at 0%, and while not top tier, Donkey Kong's are just broken.

I want low tier characters to have them, because most of them have horrible matchups and very bad options. If it ever comes to it, I want to propose an "inferior clone" rule. This way, it is easy to identify which characters get the customs, and encourages more variety. The main debate would be how far the rule would stretch (and how many bottom tier characters would qualify).

Dr. Mario, Link, Falco, Lucina, and Gannondorf would definitely qualify, but more characters could be squeezed in. Zelda and Samus are technically inferior versions of their top tier counterparts, and the 64 wiki lists Jiggs as a semi clone of Kirby. Pit vs Dark Pit is still going on, and both are viable, so they should be left out. Palutena doesn't fit into this rule, but I'm hoping we could squeeze her in with an unban on Mii sizes. The only bottom tiers not covered are Charizard, but dragon rush and rising cyclone are incredibly strong customs that I don't want to see completely legal, and Dedede, who I don't know enough about to comment on.

I really hope Mii's are given this movepool. When you take a look at where they came from, Mii's are all about customization. That transfers over into Smash 4. They really have no appeal in or out of Smash without it. If Mii's can use all of their specials, that will be their unique appealing trait/gimmick. Otherwise, you're given a character that struggles to stay viable (or interesting) in the meta.
Although I do think limiting them to their most optimal moveset is still a step up.

I really hope Mii's are given this movepool.
I agree with giving Mii's their custom moves, and sizes if we can get that far. However, full customs should never be allowed in all tournaments, and people pressing this is a huge fear.

The main reason that custom tournaments have been interesting to watch is that people are not abusing the broken ones, and it is usually only the top tiers that really get to abuse them. Sheik gets more options, Rosalina gets directly better options for all of their uses, Sonic can camp and is nearly impossible to approach, Mario's up b can combo into kill at 0%, and while not top tier, Donkey Kong's are just broken.
Although I do think limiting them to their most optimal moveset is still a step up.
I know this sounds like a good idea but on the assumption that a particular player has a play-style regarding moves that are not allowed out of the "popular" ones. They would not be able to show off their new strategy to the public and will forever remain silent unless they post it online and get some if any recognition there.
Guys, what's considered broken is your opinion and many others. Rephrasing what @erico9001 said earlier, pro players want to limit certain options so they continue to win, anything seen as an obstacle will be thrown aside.
Sure there was the time when Pikachu had a infinite lock with custom thunder jolt, but Nintendo eventually fixed it. Not saying they will fix anything else, if ever since development for all we know of is finished. Just adapt and find a way around, no matter how impossible it may seem.

A good example is the player FOW and other Ness/Lucas players including myself. From time to time we fight those that can easily gimp our recoveries and our considered easy counter-picks and free wins. Sure it's a rough fight, but we try our best to make a spectacle of it.

Last edited:
  • I'm sure this has been brought up already, but according to GimR, Palutena's special moves aren't customs (they don't fit 1 or 2, even though they fit 3). In order to use them, however, the Customs switch must be set to ON, which goes against the otherwise simple logic of "Custom Switch OFF so Miis can use other specials." If the switch is going to be turned on for the sake of Palutena's "totally not custom" specials, what's stopping other characters from using their "actual customs" besides not being unlocked?
    • One could argue that being fixed on 1111 is somewhat arbitrary given that the Mii specials are too different to decide a definite 1 for, and it's an argument I can understand. However, Palutena's 1111 set is just as arbitrary, given how her playstyle is overly defensive in that set and how much more aggressive she can be with "not custom" moves. Doesn't stop her other specials from being locked out in Customs OFF mode.
  • How many customization options do each Mii have? 36. How many Miis are there? 3. How many potential options is that? 108. How many can fit in the menu? 99, 9 less than what's needed. Granted, the OCMP's top 10 for each type could be used instead of all of them, which does render this point somewhat moot, but it's something to think about.
  • Edit: That can be twisted so many ways. Don't bother.
I'd be okay with each Mii having a single, non-1111 moveset for each type as a standard, but there's my arguments against GimR's vid.
Also, thanks for guilt-tripping us all. You monster.

Last edited:
Some character's custom moves are completely different moves that function 100% differently. Palutena (Side B and Down B) is a really great example. They aren't bastardized versions of the original whatsoever.

but Palutena
once upon a time i went to a weeklies where there was a guy named tru. In the weeklies, customs were available and tru was a very happy custom-palutena main. recently, (for the better in my opinion) they got rid of customs and now tru will forever be a living meme of the lost soul who just wanted customs, even tho no one else likes them. anyway that was off topic i hope someone was mildly entertained and leave a comment, like, and subscribe for more spooky stuff.

asddddddsadasdasd

once upon a time i went to a weeklies where there was a guy named tru. In the weeklies, customs were available and tru was a very happy custom-palutena main. recently, (for the better in my opinion) they got rid of customs and now tru will forever be a living meme of the lost soul who just wanted customs, even tho no one else likes them. anyway that was off topic i hope someone was mildly entertained and leave a comment, like, and subscribe for more spooky stuff.
u sound rly dum and stupid lol

idk i am just commentating random stuff on this thing soo um, PLAY MELEE PLZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Gimr's videos have always been good in terms of quality and editing but this one has extremely strong points too. I was about to pitch for Palutena to get her customs too but when he mentioned the item argument, it made me better understand why she shouldn't have that option.

I still feel Palutena should get her customs but I think rule wise, it's less realistic.

This is a really get problem.

But there is a problem. And it's an Elephant in the room that very few have mentioned and that this argument forgets to bring up. And that's Palutena. By most of the points made in this vid, Palutena should be able to use her custom moves. They thing is they since custom as to be on for her to use them, she can.

I'm not saying this should stop Mii's or that I'm against them. Quiet the opposite. I really want Mii's to be added and to have their entire moveset. Just Paluenta is very big problem that holds them back.

Also

#FriiTheMiis

:135:

Well, the rule is Customs: OFF. In order to have Palutena use her other specials you need Customs: ON, Miis don't need to push that magical button and break this simple rule. It's a straightforward concept.

Personally, I think GimR made some good points, and I have to agree with him.

But if Miis would have access to their full moveset, than I also believe Palutena should get the same treatment, as her custom moves aren't variations of her defaults.

So here's my take. You have to create a Mii to have any specific set. Their 1111 set is only the first in a series of options they have. Technically, they don't have default set of specials at all, because you have to set them up. Like any character creation screen in an rpg, you have to set up your character to have a specific set of skills. Just because a selection screen starts off with a swordsman, doesn't mean there is only one way to play as one. You have to invest or choose skills that fit your play-style, like a tank or a high DPS character.

Then there's games with mastery trees for specific characters. Just because one specific tree is on the left side doesn't mean we have to commit to it, just because we read from left to right. Miis are character creations. You have a limited amount of options to modify a character's special moves which don't directly affect the rest of their normal move-set.

Me specifically, I advocate having several sets for each Mii, because the tastes/playstyles of people differ for each individual Mii anyways. As for sizes and balancing that, definitely at least have default sizes. Over months of testing, maybe the pros can come up with "balanced" sizes. Although I still believe it really doesn't matter what the sizes are as they don't seem to make any of the Miis overpowered in any way. However, I do believe that there should only ever be a max of 3 fixed sizes made for Miis in tournaments. Than those Miis can have a couple versions with differing sets to compliment them.

tl;dr At the very least, give us default Miis with an agreed upon, optimized set from the community and pros for each Mii. If anything more, please give them a few differing, agreed upon sets.

I'm a mii main and mii supporter, but I don't agree with all of GimR's arguments mainly because of the goddess in the room (to call her an elephant would be kinda mean):

1) A custom has to be a variant of one's basic b moves: Though this is often the case which can make them seem kinda less exciting, we know the team can work hard on other custom moves as Palutena and Megaman have shown. I'd even go so far as to say customs are an important part of their character. And as someone else on the other side pointed out, even the slightest change to a custom move can have massive implications. For me personally, mario's fast fireball feels much more intuitive than regular fireball and I tend to only play sheik and zss if I can get jellyfish and shooting star flip kick oh then respectively because they remind me so much of zss in brawl.

2) a custom move must be unlockable: Often the case but Palutena renders this totally invalid which GimR himself has noted. He's even said he would allow Palutena all her customs, and I would too except....

3) A custom is a move that is only available when the customs button is turned on: This is where GimR argues his points the strongest and I would agree with him that this is very similar to the items switch being turned on and off. If the switch is turned off, then the Miis' gimmick is that their b moves are the only ones can be switched when the custom button is off. Just as Diddy can summon banana peels even when items are turned off. Or Rosalina has Luma and Ryu has fgc inputs.

I want to point out that this situation is far from ideal because of all the customs confusion. But GimR's argument about the switch makes the most sense, that we should use all the resources available in this meta specifically. That the Miis have more resources with these settings specifically activated is simply accepting them for the characters they are.

2 problems I could foresee with having Custom Miis:

- Every non mii character has 4 special moves, therefore you know exactly what moves they're going to use. With Mii Fighters, at the earliest you won't know what moves they're using until they pick their character (even then that's only if they have the move numbers in the names, or you're fortunate enough to watch them set their Mii up on the console). At the latest you're going to know which moves they're using when you're on the receiving end of them. This gives the Mii user an unfair advantage over anyone using a non-Mii character.

- The amount of time it takes for a player to set up their Miis on each console they go to would slow down tournaments. As an example, imagine you're playing against a very particular person who at home has a 1133 Gunner for X matchup, but a 1224 Gunner for Y matchup and then a 1442 Brawler as their main and a 1332 Swordsman just in case. He/she wants to set them all up on the console beforehand, otherwise you'd be deciding on a counterpick while they're setting their Miis up. Suddenly you've spent 4-5 minutes setting up Miis when you could have already had Game 1. TOs don't like slow tournaments, and this would just serve to slow your match down considerably.

2 problems I could foresee with having Custom Miis:

- Every non mii character has 4 special moves, therefore you know exactly what moves they're going to use. With Mii Fighters, at the earliest you won't know what moves they're using until they pick their character (even then that's only if they have the move numbers in the names, or you're fortunate enough to watch them set their Mii up on the console). At the latest you're going to know which moves they're using when you're on the receiving end of them. This gives the Mii user an unfair advantage over anyone using a non-Mii character.

- The amount of time it takes for a player to set up their Miis on each console they go to would slow down tournaments. As an example, imagine you're playing against a very particular person who at home has a 1133 Gunner for X matchup, but a 1224 Gunner for Y matchup and then a 1442 Brawler as their main and a 1332 Swordsman just in case. He/she wants to set them all up on the console beforehand, otherwise you'd be deciding on a counterpick while they're setting their Miis up. Suddenly you've spent 4-5 minutes setting up Miis when you could have already had Game 1. TOs don't like slow tournaments, and this would just serve to slow your match down considerably.
1. No, they are usually required to have the moves in the name.
2. Miis take less time to setup than custom names and controls.

Considering that scene is still growing, more setups would alleviate time constraints. And adding a few seconds for Mii set creation won't be much of an issue, anyways. Especially if we do like what they did early on and have agreed upon special sets already made on the setups, and only those sets would be usable.

Last edited:
[on 2.] This still leads to time wasted, that, in the long run, ends up drastically slowing down gameplay.
It "leads to" thirty seconds of time per Mii. It's not like there are a lot of Mii mains anyways, and we already let people set up custom controls. Your argument falls flat.

It "leads to" thirty seconds of time per Mii. It's not like there are a lot of Mii mains anyways, and we already let people set up custom controls. Your argument falls flat.
I was just sayin if there was to be a Mii only tourney or sumtin like that.

Otherwise I don't really give a snivy.

Last edited:
WOOOOOOO GIMR GIVIN THE POINTS. THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING ANTI MII'S CAN DO AT THIS POINT SIT BACK AND WATCH LEGAL MII'S. WOOOOOOOO

Didn't GimR ban PM from his stream? Who gives a **** what he thinks. I'm not keen to take the word of what should and shouldn't be allowed from someone that willingly ostracizes a large portion of the player base.

Last edited:
Didn't GimR ban PM from his stream? Who gives a **** what he thinks. I'm not keen to take the word of what should and shouldn't be allowed from someone that willingly ostracizes a large portion of the player base.
What I have understood it is "illegal" to stream PM.

Top Bottom