• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GimR: The Case For Legalizing "Custom Miis"

While #MiiWiik has passed here on Smashboards, a lot of discussion is still happening regarding how Miis should be treated in Smash 4's ruleset. It has been suggested that they should be banned or be made altogether legal, and a majority of discussions and polls have agreed that the 1-1-1-1 option currently used is not the best. GimR, owner of VGBootcamp, has created a video breaking down his own personal reasoning on why people should #FriiTheMiis. Give it a watch!

Agree or disagree with the video? Tell us in the comments below! To learn more about Miis check out our articles by Mii experts on Brawler, Gunner, and Swordfighter.

Comments

Honestly, here's my stance on the matter.

Customs, in any capacity should be considered different cases from stuff like equipment and Mii sizes, which are much easier to regulate than movesets. You don't like small Mii Brawler? Just make medium or large Brawlers mandatory. Equipment can make for hilariously overpowered combinations? Just ban equipment. But custom moves can make previously unusable characters usable.

Let's take, for example, Ganondorf. In a customs-off setting, how many people do you really think would experiment with Ganondorf? Practically none. And yes, not everybody benefits from it, but then that's because their moves are either already great as is or are just not well designed to begin with.

But imagine, for instance, if Melee had custom movesets. How much would that have affected the metagame? Imagine if, say, Luigi had a Side Special custom that had half the range with a faster charge or Falco had an Up Special custom that could travel much farther horizontally. Those would change the meta for those characters, no doubt; and I'm sure there'd be debate there, too.

But there's a difference between a toxic custom and a powerful custom. Obviously, in the wrong hands one can become seen as toxic, but we don't call Hammer Spindash toxic because of it's effects, we call it that because StaticManny made it toxic by exploiting it's effects to the maximum.

Honestly,@Amazing Ampharos ' Custom Moves Project was the best way to tackle this I've seen; prechosen sets of customs which each player can choose. No needing to unlock them all on every console, and no need for everyone to bring their own 3DS besides those associated with the project.

Feel like a couple of DLC characters would suffer from the custom ban uplift. That would throw balance off pretty hard.

Feel like a couple of DLC characters would suffer from the custom ban uplift. That would throw balance off pretty hard.
Oh, like how DLC characters like Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta already threw the balance off pretty hard? The only DLC characters that could really suffer from a customs ban uplift are Lucas, Roy and Mewtwo; the ones that were already considered the worse of the DLC grouping anyways.

And in any case, saying customs should stay banned just because of the DLC characters is an absolutely dumb thing to say. It's exclusionary to say that "because this group doesn't have it, just ban it outright!", because then people who main characters who benefit greatly from customs have to suffer with either A) never being able to do decently in a tournament just because people are paranoid about DLC characters already dominating the meta being slightly less dominant with a customs-on setting or B) just have to switch mains to one of the viable characters like everybody else, which they may not want to do because they don't like how the high-tiers all play.

And that isn't fair to those players who really do like how characters like Charizard, Ganondorf or Samus play, because we're essentially saying to them "Either suck it up as you never place well or switch to one of the gud characters."
Imagine, if you will, if someone proposed banning waveshining to the Melee competetive scene because only Fox and Falco could do it, thus making it unfair for all the other characters because they were at a disadvantage. They'd be laughed out of the building.

Sure, it's not fair that only Fox and Falco can waveshine, but you can't just arbitrarily ban mechanics just because they're not beneficial for your chosen main. Hell, the only reason Meta Knight was banned in Brawl was because he was overcentralizing the meta to ridiculous levels, not just for a mechanic he had.

Besides that, customs help many more characters, like :4charizard:, :4bowser:, :4ganondorf:, :4palutena:, :4mii:/:4miif: and:4dk:, to name a few popular examples, and don't actively hurt anybody besides :4zelda:, :4marth:/:4lucina:, :4jigglypuff:, and maybe :4samus: , all of whom are rarely seen in tournaments anyways, so them getting the short end of the stick doesn't mean much (and Samus is only a maybe because the only really bad custom she has is Melee Charge Shot. Everything else is generally just mediocre.)

Sure, not everybody benefits from great customs (:4diddy:, :4dedede: and :4sheik:, for a few examples) but a customs-on meta is more diverse than a customs-off meta.

I mean, here's the viable tournament-winning characters for a customs-off meta;
:4diddy:, :4sheik:, :4zss:,:4ryu:,:4cloud:,:rosalina:,:4sonic:,:4villager:,:4mario:,:4luigi:,:4fox:,:4falco:,:4lucario:,:4falcon:,:4tlink:, :4bayonetta:, :4corrin:,:4pikachu:,:4rob:,:4myfriends:,:4miibrawl:.

Here's the viable tournament-winning characters for a customs-on meta;
:4diddy:,:4sheik:,:4zss:,:4ryu:,:4cloud:,:rosalina:,:4sonic:,:4villager:,:4mario:,:4luigi:,:4fox:,:4falco:,:4lucario:,:4falcon:,:4tlink:,:4bayonetta:,:4corrin:,:4pikachu:,:4rob:,:4myfriends:,:4miibrawl:,:4dk:,:4ganondorf:,:4charizard:,:4bowser:,:4samus:, :4palutena:.

Sure, it's not a huge change, but it's always better to have a wider array of viable characters; it avoids stagnation of the meta and promotes diversity within the tournament scene.

There's no real downside, gameplay-wise, to having customs on; it adds more viable characters, none of the other characters are left at a horrible disadvantage and overall it's another way to differentiate Smash 4 from Melee.

Sure, it's a bit more work to set up, but TO's already have a lot of work; it can't be that hard to send out a notice to everyone who wishes to bring a setup to come in about a day early to spend that day uploading the custom sets the community has selected onto every console being used for the tournament. That way customs are legalized and there's no real delays in tournament goings-on; it's all done before the tournament starts.

I'm not GimR, but I can feel his pain here; my own mains, without customs, are pretty bad; even worse than his own, in fact.

This isn't Melee, guys, and it's time we stop trying to follow in it's lead and make our own identity as a Smash game; and I think a customs meta is a good way to do that.

And who knows? If we get customs going as a default meta, we may even get to see guys like Bizzarro Flame come in to bring the hype, and Mew2King may get to take Charizard to the next level. And really, I think most people who know Bizz would agree that him coming into Smash 4 would be an awesome experience.

Last edited:
The real issue with customs is... well, just see this post, I already outlined it there. :p A bigger viable roster would be nice, but the cost is just too much (IMO at least, this is all kind of subjective).

Ideally, in my opinion, we'd settle on a single universal set of customs for each character, almost like a balance patch of sorts. The problems to that are A) you'd still need to unlock them, and B) there's no way in heck the community will ever agree on that lol.

Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash Not trying to be rude just curious. Why did you add Falco, Lucario, Ike and Mii Brawler for winning customs off and why did you take Ryu away with customs on? Also I think you should add Palutena in because with customs she is really good. It may have just been you didn't want to add just about the whole roster but I was just wondering.

Munomario777 Munomario777 I have seen what you posted before and I can tell you think before typing but that piece about customs taking such a long time to memorize is bad. I realize it is a little more work but if anyone takes this game seriously enough then they will learn it. If you don't then it won't affect you. Noobs will not learn the customs but competitive players will. I don't even play with customs on for fun anymore and even I know just about all of them.

If you need a quick recap then you can just ask the player of that character"Hey what does your custom side B do again". We have brought up the same thing with Mii customs when people complained about that. As for unlocking customs it really doesn't take all that long if you just play around with it.

The part about consistency while true with special in this customs off meta is not always true with players themselves. You can have the same character with 2 players and may beat one but lose to the other because he plays differently. It is all about adapting which is what you need to do to win. So again good players will adapt especially if they want to win tournaments noobs won't so what does it matter to them. Its just the way things are.

Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash Not trying to be rude just curious. Why did you add Falco, Lucario, Ike and Mii Brawler for winning customs off and why did you take Ryu away with customs on? Also I think you should add Palutena in because with customs she is really good. It may have just been you didn't want to add just about the whole roster but I was just wondering.
Falco, Lucario, Ike and Mii Brawler can all do reasonably well, and if played perfectly could take tournaments; but they are definitely not as easy as, say, Sheik at taking majors.

Ryu...well, I suppose Ryu is kind of already sporting his customs, so why did I leave him out? :p

As for Palutena....she gets better with customs, but she's also built around it and even with customs, people have a hard time determining if she's mid or high tier. So, kind of like Ryu, I suppose it's that I was so familiar with her being associated with customs that it slipped my mind. :p
It did also have to do with not wanting to add almost the whole roster, too, though.

Ryu...well, I suppose Ryu is kind of already sporting his customs, so why did I leave him out? .
I can totally agree with this. Honestly for the DLC characters besides maybe M2 and Roy everyone else seems complete with their specials so much that customs would(could ) not be an upgrade and even then I think Mewtwo is fine. Roy I can't seem to say but if they did the regular switch customs they did for Luci/Marth/Ike then he may also want to change 1 or 2.

:4miibrawl: Mii Brawler:
Shot Put = Mii Attack :4miibrawl:
Ultimate Uppercut = Giant Punch :4dk:
Exploding Side Kick = Falcon Punch :4falcon:

Onslaught = Raptor Boost :4falcon:
Burning Dropkick = Skull Bash:4pikachu: or Green Missile :4luigi:
Headache Maker = Jolt Haymaker :4littlemac:

Soaring Axe Kick = Final Cutter :4kirby:
Helicopter Kick = Boost Kick :4zss:
Piston Punch = Rising Uppercut :4littlemac:

Head-On Assault = Mii Attack :4miibrawl:
Feint Jump = Flip Jump :4zss:
Foot Flurry = Falcon Kick :4falcon:

:4miisword: Mii Swordfighter:
Gale Strike = Gale Boomerang :4link:
Shuriken of Light = Water Shuriken :4greninja: (Uncharged)
Blurring Blade = Shield Breaker :4marth:

Airborne Assault = Bouncing Fish :4sheik:
Slash Launcher = Quick Draw :4myfriends:
Chakram = Metal Blade :4megaman:

Stone Scabbard = Aether :4myfriends:
Skyward Slash Dash = Fire Bird :4falco:
Hero's Spin = Spin Attack :4link:

Blade Counter = Counter Attack :4myfriends:
Reversal Slash = Cape :4mario:
Power Thrust = Falcon Kick :4falcon:

:4miigun: Mii Gunner:
Charge Blast =Chargue Shot :4samus: