• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Better in a Few Easy Steps

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
So I know we have multiple large guides for how to use Ness. I however want to get into specifics.

What do you, the Ness community (as well as any passing people) think is most important for maining Ness, and why do you think so?

This is going to be a guide for those who think they've got the basics down and are fairly confident, but need better mixups, need advice, etc.

- - -

Personally I think one of the most important parts of getting better with Ness is learning how to use PK Thunder. We're talking about being able to recover with it low, looping it away from people around you to recover and learning to switch PK Thunder's direction of aim (left or right).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
PKT Control, with PKT2 and just regular PKT, is what makes a good or bad ness. If you can't go wherever you feel like with the PKT, you won't be able to recover or punish properly.

In my past experience, there has been a lot of "learn this angle" type of things when I was trying to play as ness. This doesn't help as much. You need to know how to maneuver the PKT around FIRST! The second part is knowing ness' falling speed and adjusting where you move the PKT so that it meets a part of his body at a specific time.

Now going with PKT regularly, you've got several ways to move it around. I always move it in squiggly patterns unless doing something weird; the path can be altered into an arc back towards ness easily (if you're doing it right) and it just looks cooler. Also, it can confuse some people.

Another thing to do is send PKT to travel along the ground in a way so that it is VERY close but not touching. If you do it perfectly, you can scrape some shields. If not, you can cancel the PKT anytime by directing it downward for an instant. It's safe if you have good reaction timing.

You can move the PKT in circles around an area that your opponent must go through in order to reach you to semi-camp, but it doesn't work very well against most characters.

After that, you can just send PKT straight out and in funky arcs in order to get places. I always like being in absolute full control of the PKT, going with it for every single angle and as close to the desired path as possible not letting go of a direction or over-turning the control stick (just in case I need to adjust before I hit myself or to make sure I don't accidentally loop it so that I completely whiff).

A couple of tricks with PKT:

When an opponent is going for the ledge, your PKT with the tailwhip is awesome; place the PKT around the edge so that the head gets there immediately after the opponent gets his/her ledge-grabbing invincibility and loop the PKT head around so that it goes back to the stage for whatever needs to be done. This will basically force the opponent into rolling, jumping, standing, or attacking as a getup, b/c the tailwhip will force the opponent off the ledge if they don't get up before the end of invincibility. If you're good at predicting, you can hit them with the PKT every time. If not, you can potentially hit yourself into the ground or tailwhip your opponent while trying to escape to safety. It's basically 100% safe except against characters that have the best getup attacks from ledge (darn DK!)

Another one, if you are partly following the opponent's path of movement (like if they are falling, go slightly downward, if they are jumping stay near horizontal unless their jump is huge), and the opponent airdodges, you can almost always get to them with at least the tailwhip. If your PKT is near them. An airborne opponent is much easier to get with PKT than some people think. You just have to make sure that the PKT is always following them in some fashion. That's why Uthrow > PKT isn't really good on most characters; they can fall around/through the PKT as it is going up to reach them. Dthrow works okay b/c it keeps the opponent near you so that the PKT can catch up with them faster, but the problem is that many characters can simply use an aerial to get at the PKT and punish you severely (or just take the PKT hit, SDI toward you and hit you with some aerial in your lagging animation).

If you manage to pop someone up in the air with an AC'd Dair at lower percents, you can EASILY lead into PKT. That's sort of why Ref or some other people were looking into AC'd Dair > PKT2 (looping PKT around an opponent) to see if there could be an easy kill. I'm gonna try looking into this and getting a percent range, but SCHOOL HAS IT'S LAST DAYS TO TORTURE ME!

When PKT2ing, I'll leave some must-be-able-to's for you:

90 degrees upward from horizontal
directly horizontal
45 degrees upward from horizontal (looping from EITHER direction and going around ness in either 135 degrees or 225 degrees)
Partly below horizontal
10 or less degrees from upward vertical (to get ledges like SV when you're under the stage)

Also, not by angles, but be able to COMPLETELY recover if you miss hitting yourself the first time. I'll post a video explaining this. It is SO epic seeing people go like "hahahah -- WHAT??!?!" as you recover completely unexpectedly when they think you're dead.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
^THAT REMINDS ME!

Know what moves of yours have lag and try to reduce any unnecessary move lag (always AC Dair, land Bair as quickly as possible if it WILL go into landing lag, Buffer something after your PK Fire in the air to get lessened lag... etc.).

The way I play ness isn't to try and space with fair or play campy or to try and out-trick people, but to know where I can poke in, where I can't, and to maneuver around those times and spaces as well as possible. Sure, I space hella well with everything, but that's just b/c I know the spacing of the moves very well. Sure I can trick people by changing some different things and throwing in a couple PK Jumps and AD's to ground and going with grabs and other stuff.... but poking in at a perfect time is fun.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I would have to say that one of the more important things for Ness players to understand (or anyone for that matter) is knowing when to back off. It is important to capitalize/take risks, but I think it should be balanced with constantly reassessing your position in relation to your opponent. It's a little harder for Ness since he can't really force too many characters to approach, but a lot of times getting away to a safe spot is better than rushing in recklessly towards your enemy. Ness, like most, doesn't have 'combos' so getting away and reading patterns is often better than trying to throw out one continuous string of attacks.

Try to find ways to relax in a tournament setting. Some people just need a deep breath, others need their headphones. Being relaxed but focused can keep you from panicking/going on autopilot and help in making more logical decisions. Especially important when recovering with PKT2 lol, you can't afford to mess that up.

Don't be afraid to try new things out, especially in friendlies. There are standard methods for success with every character but sometimes straying from that produces better, less predictable results. If people write something off as inviable or useless, it's an opportunity to explore it and make it useful. I still want to see people using more Flash/Magnet. Every move has its use, after all.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
Know your spacing. I know that seems like part of the basics, but i think the most important thing about ness, or any character really, is knowing exactly what you can and cannot do.
Spacing is extremely important in accomplishing what Neon was talking about in knowing where you are on the stage and keeping your head. It will allow you to have more control over yourself and your opponent, blocking their infiltration if done correctly, giving you time to find your head and figure out what to do next. Fair is particularly good for this purpose, seeing as how it has great range and priority. Even though it doesn't do much damage, it puts a barrier between the opponent and you.

Keep in mind you can do this with other moves too, and it's extremely important to know the timing and range on all of ness's important (and seemingly not so) attacks, so that you really can mix it up, and with something that will work, not just a random attack. Button mashing is probably one of the worst things I think you can do in brawl... unless you're metaknight...
(DOWNSMASHDOWNSMASHDOWNSMASHDOWNSMASH)

ShadowRoamer

Smash Cadet
Since nobody seems to be mentioning it, landing good hits requires good manipulation of aerials, a lot of the time anyway. Ness' double aerial shuffle is extremely useful, and when used correctly can land nice combos and even kills. For example:
- If you just skim your enemy with the sourspot of his Fair, you're going to want to try a quick approach (Or stay still if the enemy is attempting a counter) and Nair. It'll land a helpful little punishment and give you just enough time to back up a bit.
- Same thing with the sourspotted bair.
- Or, if you're just going for a kill, a sourspotted bair can lead well into a uair if you're being approached. Both moves kill very easily.
- Sometimes also take advantage of the good horizontal knockback and vertical range of his dair. If an enemy is suffering from ending lag this can be a smooth setup for a nice PK Fire > Dair, or occasionally a Yo-Yo edgeguard or dtilt KO.
- Double Nair is also nice for simplicity means.
Not to mention if you're going to do some nice PK Fire approaches i.e PK Jump, you might want to set specials to R. Being that your thumb is going to be in the region of the X/Y buttons and you're going to probably have your index finger around R, this makes for a nice and simplistic grip motion.
Just a few tips based on my playstyle.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I would have to say that one of the more important things for Ness players to understand (or anyone for that matter) is knowing when to back off. It is important to capitalize/take risks, but I think it should be balanced with constantly reassessing your position in relation to your opponent. It's a little harder for Ness since he can't really force too many characters to approach, but a lot of times getting away to a safe spot is better than rushing in recklessly towards your enemy. Ness, like most, doesn't have 'combos' so getting away and reading patterns is often better than trying to throw out one continuous string of attacks.

Try to find ways to relax in a tournament setting. Some people just need a deep breath, others need their headphones. Being relaxed but focused can keep you from panicking/going on autopilot and help in making more logical decisions. Especially important when recovering with PKT2 lol, you can't afford to mess that up.

Don't be afraid to try new things out, especially in friendlies. There are standard methods for success with every character but sometimes straying from that produces better, less predictable results. If people write something off as inviable or useless, it's an opportunity to explore it and make it useful. I still want to see people using more Flash/Magnet. Every move has its use, after all.
^NEON!!! Your first point is excellent; backing off at the proper time is what allowed me to win some of my matches on Saturday. I almost came back to win against Arty b/c I did that... But then I SDd randomly. :(

PKT2, IMO, should be second nature; you shouldn't need to THINK about how to control your PKT so that you get the right PKT2 angle, you should just DO it.

Yes. PSImag is great. Dtilt is okay, but I didn't use it properly against most people. PK Jump is only good at times; I agree with Dajayman on this, b/c I often launched myself into an opponent and got super-punished b/c of it. Ftilt is actually meh; people won't really get in range too often. Dashattack is okay, b/c most opponents aren't going to be on the ground for you to just use it, but it is great for spacing and forcing people to staying still for a while. Basically all of Ness' smashes SUCK! I only got like 3 bats off, 1 dsmash, and 2 usmashes. I got like 50 Nairs and Uairs....

P.I.E.

Smash Ace

This advice actually helps me a lot, because I become incredibly tense during tournies x.x
Flash IS underused, and underestimated :p
I pk flashed someone at a tourney and the staff at the venue asked him to leave the premises as joke to how sad it was, but it's a great edge guard IMO and a close to invincible edge guard in doubles, when you're partner's also edgeguarding (careful not to hit him/her though)
And I agree. Magnet is underused. I used eagle's technique with momentum halting and it worked like a charm in doubles, though it took a lot of practice with my doubles partner. We've yet to test it out at a tourney, though xD

This brings me to my point: In order to become a better brawler in general faster, it's better to have a group of equally determined people playing with you constantly. My doubles partner is my rival and we always push to surpass one another whenever one seems like he's getting ahead. So yes, I encourage everyone to find someone equal or greater in skill and try surpassing them to make them do the same to you. It's a win-win for both people! Brawling in groups on weekends is what I do, and I can honestly say the results yield exponential growth!

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Nair wellplaced is a near unstoppable edgeguard. If you time things perfectly, Nair is also near uncounterable for a person you are fighting if they hang on the ledge; I'll post a vid concerning that in a while, but it's pretty cool.

Having a good group of friends is a good thing. Practicing with them is also a good thing. The BEST thing, however, is to go to smashfests or tourneys. Some tourneys you can play as a way of getting to know other ppl better as well as seeing how all of your techniques actually go against the best. I played a ton of $MMs at the last tournament I was at and I learned that I AM TERRIBLE! I can potentially make epic come-backs, but other than that I can't do anything well enough. :( Next tournament will be better; the fact that I CAN make comebacks is showing enough that I have the potential to do well.

Ally's gonna be at this next tournament in IL that I'm going to. I wanna $MM him to see how a top player wrecks me.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Having a good group of friends is a good thing. Practicing with them is also a good thing. The BEST thing, however, is to go to smashfests or tourneys. Some tourneys you can play as a way of getting to know other ppl better as well as seeing how all of your techniques actually go against the best.
Yeah, fighting as many people as you can is normally a really good way to get better, which is why tournaments are the best for improving. You get exposed to a bunch of matches and friendlies which means you're learning matchups and playstyles at a faster rate.

But, fighting a small group of friends consistently also has its advantages. Sometimes in a huge tournament setting it's overwhelming to ask someone who beat you "What did I do wrong?" "What could I improve on?", whereas it's easier to learn this way in a smaller group setting.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
Ally's gonna be at this next tournament in IL that I'm going to. I wanna $MM him to see how a top player wrecks me.
I think I know better than many how that feels xD but I consider it "growing pains" In order to get better, we'll all have to go through losing a lot. And survive getting desimated by a marth, etc. xD You can pull through man!

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Not playing too defensively. Learn how to command stages as well as exploit the most versatile projectile in the game. Quick assaults followed by retreats. Don't ***** out for a KO, just keep racking up damage and it'll happen eventually.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Not playing too defensively. Learn how to command stages as well as exploit the most versatile projectile in the game. Quick assaults followed by retreats.
Don't ***** out for a KO, just keep racking up damage and it'll happen eventually.
That is the best advice ever. You don't know how many times I was trying too hard to just get one ftilt or one utilt or any grab opportunity that I ended up getting myself super-damage racked.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been on recently, but I'll leave a general advice.
Playing brawl for so long, one thing that you should always have in your mind: don't get hit.

Because brawl is all about the damage done/received which directly equates to your chances of losing a stock, you should always try not to get hit. Every damage counts.
For example, a lot of players may get hit by foxes lasers over and over, thinking that it is no big deal as it does no knockback, and the damage is minimal. However, those damages add up. and in the long run, it can lead to your stock.

When you're playing, try to reduce the amount of damage you take as much as possible, and give maximum damage to the opponent. If you start playing in this way, you'll find yourself winning in no time x]

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
^On a related note to what you're saying, kenny, IFF (if and only if) the damage you WOULD be receiving can be made up for almost immediately after having taken it, the risk for undergoing that damage would be worth it. For example, SDI'ing some multi-hit attack and immediately getting off a Bair. or trading hits in some fashion with Dair vs. something or Uair vs. something. Nair might be worth it, b/c it's a bit low in damage output.

IMO, damage that you have isn't as much of an issue if you know your opponent's options well enough. You can minimize what risks you do take to only include potentially getting hit by non-kill moves. Against snake, that normally involves playing to their nade game long enough to land a PK fire or get the snake in the air for some short amount of time. Against a lucario, that's having them facing you in the air or just not being on the ground near them or not staring directly in the face of a potential aura sphere. Just have to know where you may be in danger and avoid those areas or dodge/shield when you see something obvious. Otherwise, be apprehensive when there is a likelihood of stock loss.

damage control is important. when you're at lower percents, don't be reckless, and when you're at higher percents, you can be SOMEWHAT reckless if you are in stock lead and must be super careful if you AREN'T in stock lead. If you are at mid percents (40-80), you're basically in the zone of awesomeness; you can't be easily move-string'd and you can't be killed unless you miserably fail. If you are in that area, you're slightly safer.... but not much.

I agree with the thing about lasers though. Don't carelessly take damage. If you CAN avoid getting hit by something, do so. It's not worth it. The only way it's justified is if you can pull off some good hit assuredly shortly after taking that damage.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
thank you for elaborating eagleeye x]
adding on to what he said, about high percentages. Especially when you're in the lead, but even if you're not in the lead STAY ALIVE.
don't be reckless and go all aggro. If you're in the lead, use that to your advantage. Keep a good distance and make your pkt to good use, but don't over use it or that can cost you the stock. Keep stacking those damage up on them while staying alive.

But don't worry about the damage, put more focus into not losing your stock. The longer you have that stock, the better off you will be in the end. I've seen many times where a player would take a stock, and then puts themselves in a bad position and loses a stock, resetting the whole match again.

On a different note, this is something ness specific. Try not to get grabbed as much as possible and/or bait them to the edge of the stage. Majority of the cast have some type of grab release tech on ness. Don't let them use these to their full advantages. Especially when you're fighting MK. He is already quite devastating, but with his dash/boost grab ranges, he can easily have you in a chain grab with a painful dsmash at the end.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
OOOOH!!!!! LEDGES!!! LEDGES ARE SECRETLY NESS'S RESTING PLACE! There's so much stuff that ness can do with ledges (on a stage that isn't BF) that would just be like o.O

learn how to use aerial PK fire on people who hang off the ledge. That is pro-tastic. FH PKfire will only last a tiny bit once it reaches the ledge, but you are left with the ability to safeguard yourself on landing. SH is if you don't have the time for FH. It's mainly a timing game; know your opponent's getup times if you know that they will be grabbing the ledge in a few seconds. grounded can be the best option almost 100% of the time, but I like using aerial PK fire to catch some people offguard.

we all know how ness' Nair, dair, and bair have lengthy sourspots, right? well I had a theory and put it to some testing... but it's not fully completed yet b/c I keep getting distracted while playing ppl who are good. I thought that b/c of those sourspots, you could use an aerial at a specific time when a person is on the ledge and assuredly hit them with something, either that aerial you use or some followup that you carry over to the stage. For example, you are on the stage or above the stage in a position to land on it. you can go down with a dair, being sure to land so that it's AC'd at it's end. this will give some sourspot animation to last and stay out near the ledge and also allow for you to shield/attack a few frames after. You could be going offstage slightly and time a rising nair so that it initiates when the opponent is losing their invincibility frames from having grabbed the ledge, letting the sourspot pick up if the opponent is careless, and move back to the stage for the followup on those who roll/getup/getupattack/jump. the slow getups that happen at 100% or higher are much easier to punish, sometimes leaving a sure kill. Bair is like Nair, but better for if you can delay a bit. so basically:
if opponent is on the ledge, bair/nair/dair can lead to POTENTIAL supah-safe followups, but only if you're in the right spot. (will have a video in the future) ****

When you yourself are on the ledge, dropping down then waiting a bit to do a rising aerial back to the stage can be an excellent idea... or just to rise then AD to safety, b/c there's less time between ness being above the stage and ness making contact with the ground.

I'll explain the awesome-ness of ness around ledges with the next bunch of stuff that I do.

Top Bottom