• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Rid of The Trip. The Trip Was a Stupid Idea!!!

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
Yeah, since it seemed like no one has addressed it yet, I just figured I'd say it. The trip was one of the filthiest, stupidest, most pointless ideas ever wasted on Smash Bros. or possibly any game. The useless/pointless 30-second demos of classics were quite the waste of space too, but at least you didn't have those buggering you while you tried to play. The trip was just so awful. I can't believe anyone actually thought, "Hey, random tripping, that is a good idea! *herp derp*"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It sounded hilarious until the game actually came out. Then it just bugged everyone. I remember laughing at that DOJO! update.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
I didn't think too much about it, really. I figured there'd be some unlockable option where you could at least disable the stupid, stupid trip. But no. There was no escape. Just such a terrible idea... Also, you should just be able to do everything in the menu without having to unlock "additional rules." So annoying..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tripping sounded like an amusing mechanic, but it was obviously done poorly.

For one thing, random tripping is quite dumb on normal terrain. However, if you're on slippery terrain (such as ice), then it would make sense to see the random tripping occur.

Of course, this would give the Ice Climbers a strong advantage, since their movement is not affected by slippery terrain.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The mechanic itself is in theory a good idea. Some moves can trip the opponent, opening up an opportunity for combos. Random tripping is the main reason why the mechanic is hated by everyone. If it wasn't implimented to begin with the tripping mechanic would of gotten better reception.

I presume they've learned from this, but I'm not holding my breath.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The first time someone tripped while playing a demo of Brawl during some gaming convention, they thought they discovered some kind of advanced technique or something

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Tripping was quite a gamebreaker. My bros tended to make rematches with me if someone lost by tripping. Cue that happening a lot and you see why I hate Sakurai's hippy funtime intentions forced into fighting...

Just keep it in the moves, it was best placed there.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The first time someone tripped while playing a demo of Brawl during some gaming convention, they thought they discovered some kind of advanced technique or something
I thought they said they were just trolling everybody, lol. They called it INKDROPPING.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I want to see this.
Suddenly, a few weeks or months from now, we see a mysterious video go up on Namco or Sora LTD website titled "First Smash 4 multiplayer preview," ah, I'm too cruel.
The announcer counts down, "3, 2, 1, GO!" or something of that nature, the camera is next seen in a fixed position looking at Final Destination and we see Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu (Any of the veterans really). They all dash towards eachother, but all of them trip, all at once, together, then there's an awkward moment, nobody moves, or does anything, then the preview ends.
AHH! HOW CRUEL! WHAT A CRUEL JOKE! Well, I am a masochist (not really).

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
Seriously though. Did anyone who's experienced the stupid, stupid tripping in real gameplay actually find it fun? To make things worse, I just happen to trip the most among all of my friends. We don't go into rematches or whatever over trips, but it does ruin the game a lot. It's bad enough with how floaty it is, but when the trip can literally cost you the match... Ugh, I just wish I could see the person who came up with the idea of random trips face to face...and b*tch slap him.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I'm not sure how random tripping came about as a great idea in their heads, but I'm fairly certain they know of our hatred towards it and will remove at least the random factor of it.

Fingers crossed.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I didn't really mind the tripping since it didn't really happen that much to me. But lately I've noticed that it happens a lot more now. I've tripped like 4 or 5 times in one match not too long ago... :/ Guess they should limit it only to certain attacks or items like the banana peels etc.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I think sakurai got what he wanted from random tripping
And that is to make the matches less heated, so that less kids would get angry and start ACTUALLY FIGHTING, now of course theres a difference between kids and pro's this may lessen the heat of a fight for kids(which is kind of a good thing) but lessening the heat between pro's is not a good idea cuz taking a pro out of the heat of the game makes it less fun... and not to mention it can be an unfair advantage dependent on character.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It got annoying but I learned to deal with it. However, I can see why tourneys hate them.

I agree that tripping is a good mechanic if implemented correctly such as low attacks, projectiles, water/ice terrain, and various items/special attacks. Random tripping should be taken out but conditional tripping should be implemented further. It could create new opportunities to catch your opponents off guard by doing a tripping attack or being tripped yourself but you can roll along the ground (like a crawling) or attack out of the trip.

Personally, I'd like to see a running trip that causes players to tumble forward and then cause damage by falling into them or attacking out of the falling tumble at the last frames. Jusrca interesting way to make the trip feature more flexible.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I have no doubts random tripping will be taken out of Smash 4, the reception from the casual players was almost as bad as the reception from the competitive players and I think Sakurai's learned his lesson from going too much out of the way to upset the competitive scene. I am a bit worried though that Sakurai might take out all of tripping in general because of the bad taste in the mouth Brawl left. It'd be a shame to see such a cool mechanic go, the sort of "forced missed tech" state it gives opens up lots of cool combo options and it's what makes the banana peel my favorite item in the whole series, despite despising every single aspect of Brawl (Project M **** yeah).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why no one has asked Sakurai about this issue in any of the many interviews he's had since Brawl came out in '08 is beyond me. lol

El Duderino

Smash Ace
I am a bit worried though that Sakurai might take out all of tripping in general because of the bad taste in the mouth Brawl left. It'd be a shame to see such a cool mechanic go, the sort of "forced missed tech" state it gives opens up lots of cool combo options and it's what makes the banana peel my favorite item in the whole series, despite despising every single aspect of Brawl (Project M **** yeah).
Idk, it seems like one of those situations requiring a lot of extra work for a little benefit. In Brawl the banana peel was all tripping was good for and every character needed new animation for it work. I imagine all those under utilized frames probably contributed to the decision to make it happen randomly.

I'm sure they could find some more ways to use it positively, but if I had a choice they would dedicate those resources elsewhere. Ideally on new mechanics you input instead of what is essentially a stun variation.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
I have absolutely no objections to forced tripping from attacks or banana peels or what-have-you. My beef is with the stupid random tripping.The absolute pointlessness of it and the sheer stupidity. It irritates me to no end. I know it really is a minor thing, but even little things can become huge if they keep occuring. And the goddamned trip happens to me a LOT.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
How about when you and your friend are both ready to get blown away, you have the clear advantage and a clear shot, then you trip and he knocks you out for the win? :mad:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Tripping gives you invincibilty frames, yer invincible while ya do it. remove the invincibility and keep it restricted to low attacks. Well not restricted but I'd like to see more of the characters have a low attack that causes their opponent to trip.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
tripping could stay for some attacks and the banana peel. they could put a toggle to turn on or off the random tripping.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
You're still vulnerable enough for your opponent to capitolize on it. I just want them to remove random tripping. I don't think that that is unreasonable. Certainly more reasonable than inputting such a moronic mechanic in the first place.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
tripping could stay for some attacks and the banana peel. they could put a toggle to turn on or off the random tripping.
Just take it out. Random tripping doesn't add a significant element to matches like other Special Battle settings do, and virtually nobody likes the mechanic.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
I agree tripping from moves and obviously the banana peel are perfectly fine and make perfect sense. And being able to toggle it on and off would be fine. I don't think it's a good mechanic by any means, and it's definitely not at all necessary, but if you can turn it on and off, then you could put it in for a random challenge here and there or something. Just don't have the damned thing constantly hanging over our heads like in Brawl.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why no one has asked Sakurai about this issue in any of the many interviews he's had since Brawl came out in '08 is beyond me. lol
I understand what you mean, but honestly, there are a lot of better questions to ask.

Tripping has never really bothered me, it rarely happens in a pivotal moment. Though, in theory it is a bad idea in terms of competitive play, for it WILL happen. It was definitely added for casual players because of how random and exciting it could be, like, "OH! No I tripped! No no run! Shoot!" Yeah, like that. They can even keep it in if they want, just have the option to disable it.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Have D Tilts with sweeping animations trip opponents and gusto, all better now!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
The VERY FIRST thing my brother did on our first Brawl game ever was trip. I can't remember what happened afterwards, but suffice to say it's not exactly fun when simply trying basic movement ends up messing with your character.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I didn't like random tripping, though I'd be fine with tripping from low angled attacks and banana peels and such.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I think the universal agreement is: moveset/attack based tripping is perfectly fine(though they gotta fix the banana locks.) but random tripping has to GTFO.

JPW

Smash Ace
I actually don't mind them there are a couple of times where it might happen at the wrong time for me. But i'll actually laugh at it.

There are also times where my opponent would trip and that's when i loved it cause it gave me a chance to do an F-smash for the win.

Maybe it should be an option next time. Have the ability to choose on or off. I'm not really bothered by it. In my view it made it kind of comical.

But i can see how it pisses off the competitive and much more serious players.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
the entire reason tripping was even put in was to discourage competitive play. So it should definitely be gone.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I've said in my own thread and will resay here, that random tripping seems entirely to exist to deter running as the optimal strategy. Why would you walk when dashing is faster, applies more artificial pressure, and is not much slower than walking to act out of due to obscenely fast shielddrops?

It was the wrong way to go about balancing the movement options, but I highly doubt it was made just to deter and say "**** YOU" to people who play the game for seriouslies. Very little about the game, in fact, seems to be intentionally deterrent in that regard, but rather a very unfortunate, unintentional combination of factors lent themselves to remove the competitive feel.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I've only ever played casually (despite my desire to play competitively). The random tripping STILL annoyed me and every one of my friends (who are even less competitive and more casual).
You don't have to be competitive for it to make you want to kick a baby.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Again, I think it was put in to give a reason why you would want to walk instead of dash. It was not the right way to go about it, but I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about Sakurai's reasoning and poor choices.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Something tells me they are going to replace random tripping with the characters getting tired if they run too much... Like in Kid Icarus Uprising. Not that I want that, Just a hunch... =/

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
Good god, please, not ANOTHER full-blown ******** idea for the game...PLEASE. Random tripping and obscene floatiness were bad enough...

Top Bottom