• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
I suppose it's high time I asked, but what is this barline you guys keep talking about? I thought i could use context clues to figure it out but, I've got nothing.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
That doesn't quite explain it.

It's related to Brawl players and new Melee players wanting to "count" as Melee players who "know what they're doing." That's still not QUITE it but that's the brunt of it. If you can't find a way around Sleepy's Mewtwo, you're doing a combination of very wrong things. So it forces the loser of these MMs to analyze what they're doing, thus [in theory] creating a good foundation for learning "the basics."

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
Oh...well thats the conclusion I came to, but it didn't seem right haha. So um, who decided on this barline challenge?

Edit: But, can't you just do that same thing by playing normal friendlies? Why Sleepy's Mewtwo?

toasty

Smash Hero
I don't know the origin. But as for Sleepy's Mewtwo:

1) It's not very good.
2) [this is just my own reasoning for why this WORKS] you can't just unleash cookie cutter "saw it in a combo video" combos on Mewtwo. You have to pay attention and actually use mindgames.

As for the fact that it's a MM, that kinda depends on how you feel about MMs. Some people play better during them because "there's something on the line." Others don't because "lol it's a dollar" or because "omfg I could lose money in a matter of 5 minutes doing this.../stress!". I personally suck at MMs compared to my tourney style of play.

But this barline challenge is from the school of thought that MMs help you play better much like tourney play because "something's on the line"

Thus, it is a good introduction for those would-be Melee contenders who don't feel confident enough to enter a tourney --EDIT-- so that they will EVENTUALLY gain that confidence and then enter with us and see the magic of Melee =D

Kinda like Catholicism, we could give you all these reasons as to why our teachings and odd practices are good, but the truth of the matter is: we just want more of us! ^_^

Player_2

Smash Rookie
Im bored anyone wanna friendly on wifi? Need to practice my pit on something besides cpus and laggy *** west coasters
I might do melee for the hell of it next time with my ****ty *** dr.mario just for fun (need to hold my last position on both brackets)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Oh...well thats the conclusion I came to, but it didn't seem right haha. So um, who decided on this barline challenge?

Edit: But, can't you just do that same thing by playing normal friendlies? Why Sleepy's Mewtwo?
Just to add on to what Toasty and Yuna said...

Sleepy's Mewtwo is actually at a good level for the barline. It took me more tries than necessary to beat it :embarrass
Once I realized what I was doing wrong (I felt so stupid once I realized what Sleepy was doing), I had no trouble whatsoever and didn't even have to counterpick any stages (but I did have to do a salt match on pokemon stadium lol).

The barline is not satisfying in the least though. You actually feel quite bad about yourself for losing to one of the worst characters in the game (especially if your character annihilates Mewtwo in the matchup, like Marth). Seriously, once I took the last stock off Sleepy's Mewtwo in the barline, I was just like "lolk?".

But in all honesty, I think there should be a barline level 2. It's just fun to have something to work for that isn't tournament placings.

I nominate Toasty's Ness or Rayku's Pikachu/Roy/Falcon for level 2.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i would not recommend a level 2 as apparently barlwers like to assume they don't need to enter tournaments or someth

MMs recreate the tournament pressure.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
i would not recommend a level 2 as apparently barlwers like to assume they don't need to enter tournaments or someth

Just add a rule like:
"you may not take barline level 2 unless you enter the melee tourneys"

EASY

toasty

Smash Hero
SHouldnt there be a brawl barline just for laughs?
Fullmetal used to be the Brawl Barline, but it was different. You couldn't be considered "priyy gud pretty good" until you outplace him [barring exceptions like bracket-****] in a Brawl tournament since he NEVER plays Brawl except for the tourneys he used to enter. It wasn't that people were trying to be the determinants of the skill level of others, but a lot of new kids were gettin unjustified big heads so Fullmetal jokingly made himself that justifying measure.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
ahh i remember when i beat fullmetal.
He teamed with me, then I left, then him and dogy did really well in doubles 8).
p2 just graped.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
Haha I'll nominate my Peach for Brawl Barline level 1.

I see now. I guess all the reasoning behind it makes sense, but it really does seem like a lot of effort to get Brawl players to attempt Melee. You would think they could enter one tournament, get *****, friendly with good players to train, try again, probably get ***** again, then repeat until they get like, top 10 or something. You shouldnt have to be confident to enter a tournament, theres hardly any chance youll win money on your first one. But I guess being poor would hinder that, so $1 MM against a Mewtwo sounds kinda appealing.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Haha I'll nominate my Peach for Brawl Barline level 1.
There is no barline for Brawl. Remember, the Melee barline is for brawl kids wanting to "count" as Melee players who "know what they're doing." There are no Melee people who want to switch to Brawl (so that defeats the purpose of a brawl barline), and if they did, they would be way above the barline.

But just for kicks... FullMetal is still considered the barline for Brawl. You should try to beat him next time. I've never tried, and I never plan to, since I don't care anymore.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I'm not going to lie. Brawl still interests me from time to time. It's just that the only characters I'm interested in playing all suck from a competitive standpoint.

Player_2

Smash Rookie
I like brawl cause of pit because he's fun to play and he has lots of difficult tricks to pull off some of which top pit players just say are useless and bring our rep down.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I'm not going to lie. Brawl still interests me from time to time. It's just that the only characters I'm interested in playing all suck from a competitive standpoint.
you should try teams then. zelda seems like a pretty good partner. just watch the teams videos of billy and dyno.

Player-3

Smash Hero
1) yeah exactly, that's why i picked such a terrible character in addition to my inability to play m2.
almost everyone who takes the barline realizes that it's not satisfying in the slightest that they have been struggling so hard to beat a mewtwo, so they usually try to get better by entering the tournament
only exception is vietg because he hates getting experience and improving.
vietg hates obama and black people
vietg hates your newborn son that brought you so much joy and regularly goes to childrens' houses and breaks their pets legs
so is that why vietg plays marth?

**** barlines their pretty pointless whats the point

its like

yay i passed the barline

then you think about it

.... i lost like 15 dollars trying to beat a mewtwo in melee

im ****ing horrible at this game why do i even bother

then you go and sandbag agaisnt people because your like =( and theyre like wow u suck noob howd u pass the barline

then you go
cuz mewtwo sucks

theyre like wtf sleepys 2 gud he shuld main m2 hed maekz furzt in evyr turnament11!1!!1!!1

then you get all sad and decide to play marth and use the c stick for your nairs

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i'm going ^__^ i just hope more melee players are going. i was going to florida but, when the day came, i really didn't feel like driving so luckily, everyone riding with me found another ride. are you going sleepy?

Top Bottom