• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Genre of Games you're bad at, and the Genre you just plain dislike.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Link to original post: [drupal=4151]Genre of Games you're bad at, and the Genre you just plain dislike.[/drupal]

The title explains itself. The latter has always been known to me, as I dislike FPS. Metroid and very few other games aside, FPS just bore me to death. Oddly enough though, I'm pretty good at them.

So this leads me to my first point, the genre you're bad at. Until 2011, I've honestly never thought I was bad at a game..I've never found one I completely failed at. But when I bought SSFIV on the PS3, it happened. I realized that fighting games take immense skill and dedication, and just how they worked gave off vibes that they were not for me. Still I bought MvC3. I enjoyed it, but I still feel the same way. I finally came to the conclusion that they're not meant for me and quit both games, lol.

I will admit it surprised me, as I was decent at Melee, and...well Brawl hardly counts. When I stop to think about it though, yes Melee was a fighting game, but it also was a heavily tactician based game too. Side-Scrolled fighters seem to revolve around strategies and adaption to 90 Second or less battles. Melee could end up having far more tactics, having a bigger stage and what not.

Anyways, I just wondered if anyone else had the same thing happen to them. Obviously there's always that genre of game everyone dislikes, but does anyone have a genre they just can't get good at? :o

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I can't stand sports games, haha. I'm absolutely terrible at them.

Btw Ryu, I hate street fighter and mvc3 ( not 2) too, but I love Blazblue. Try out some other games before you give up on the genre!

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Pretty sure FPS and Sports games both fall under both categories for me.

Also I can't play Fighting games competently.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I can't stand sports games, haha. I'm absolutely terrible at them.

Btw Ryu, I hate street fighter and mvc3 ( not 2) too, but I love Blazblue. Try out some other games before you give up on the genre!
I couldn't get into Blazblue either. Thing is, I -love- playing Blaz and MvC. I think they are so much fun. I only dropped the genre because I can't seem to get better. (The Genre that bores me is fps)

I won't lie, it took me forever to realize it's not for me. I kept thinking "I can do the cool stuff in Melee I can do this", but I really am starting to think Melee is more of a tactician game than anything. Combos and Hyper/Supers/Finishers etc, none of that really exists in Melee (or Brawl)

finalark

SNORLAX
I suck at RTS, sure I love Warcraft III and Starcraft I and II but god do I suck at those games. I'm just not fast enough to play those games competitively, plus it tends to take me twice as long to get through their single-player modes than most people.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I suck at any sort of strategy or puzzle game...I'm only good at linear games, like 2-D platformers.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm terrible with First Person shooters. The fact that It's three dimensional, you can aim in every direction, and 8000 people are shooting at you doesn't work for me. Too much going on and I get easily overwhelmed in that sense. I can't play them.

I dislike sports games. Gross.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
I never could get into FPSes. Completely suck at them and besides stuff like Metroid, never liked any FPS.

Also, lolsportsgames.

ks0ccergk

Smash Cadet
I absolutely dislike sports games. I think they are boring, and since I never play them, I'm pretty sure I would be bad at them :p

finalark

SNORLAX
What's with all of the sports games hate? Did none of you guys ever play NBA Jam?

Too much going on and I get easily overwhelmed in that sense.
This sums up another reason why I suck at RTS. I just can't keep track of that many units and I easily get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have to keep an eye on.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah...my problem with FGs is if your initial strategy fails you have like 5 seconds to think before you die. At least with Melee I could buy time escaping, but on 2D Fighters, it can be nigh-impossible >.>

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think my worst genre is probably racing games, or rather the more realistic sims. I'm good at the more arcadey racers, but tbh I'm still not great at those.

Man how is everyone bad at sports games, and why do they hate them so much? Just because jocks like them doesn't make them bad to enjoy. :x

FIFA ftw lol

D

Deleted member

I don't care for sports games at all. I can go outside and play those whenever I want.

As for games I'm bad at, I've never been too great at 2D fighters, but my absolute worst genre is most likely RTS games. I could never get far in Star Craft...though I did really love Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Sports games are boring but they're easy as ****. I do like NFL Blitz and NFL Street, mainly because they had unrealistic, cool **** in them.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
NFL Blitz Rules!

Anyways to stay on topic I'm horrible at gun games such as Call of Duty and Halo. I don't even know what I'm doing half the time. A part of it may be because I don't own an Xbox or hardly ever play XBox games though. The games also got too advanced for me to get good at. Unless I had the system and the time to practice then perhaps I could get better. Not complaining because I hate casual gaming. In depth games rock, I'm just not good at first-shooters like I somewhat used to be.

However I was 32-0 at MoH Frontline back in 2003 on the Multiplayer mode before losing my first game. Now I'm like 44-9 or something like that. I don't keep track anymore.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I'm not that great at FPS but they're alright to me (except I hate COD), I've had a little trouble with racing games, but I absolutely hate sports games.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
The Nintendo sports games are ok, (Mario tennis 64 <3 <3 ). And it isn't the fact that jocks play them, i could care less, it's the fact that all of THOSE things are realisticaly possible. Where as Brawl, or MGS, or Mortal Kombat, we can't do that. (inb4usayweCANdoMGS). Yeah, good luck being accepted.

It's the fantasy fun that attaches me. Games like Fable, (FFFFFUUUU Fable 3 Ending!!) Or realistic fiction, such as Red Dead Redemption, or Le Grande Thefte Automobile.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I absolutely hate sport games and I dont even want bother to get decent at them.

Shooters and racers are all right, but not my preferable genres, so I never play them. I'm pretty decent at them though.

:053:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I forgot about mario sports games, they're good too. TBH sports games are fun if they aren't realisticly possible.
I think that people who gernerally don't like Sports games, yet like Mario Sports Games (Like me) enjoy them because of Mario. I mean, you wouldn't be playing the game if it was really a tennis game...

Browny

Smash Hater
though I did really love Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.
OMG YES

I played that game so much, made so many custom campaigns omg... That game got me started on online gaming and never really looked back :p

Massing wookie beserkers = too funny. So what if a few well placed shots from a deployed cannon or something would kill them all, watching some crazy mob dash about in a blur, razing buildings to the ground in mere seconds was awesome.

On topic; I believe im bad at fighting games lol. im just good at brawl coz im very patient and camp a lot, making a lot of the right decisions. I dont tech chase or combo well at all.

I believe im quite good at strategy games though, finishing the advance wars games on the hard difficulty, sometimes going to perfect ranks, is no easy feat :p

I dislike MMO simply because I know that if I get invovled with it, I will become so competitive with trying to achieve higher status that I will ruin my life.

I dislike sports simply because I feel they are the most pointless games ever. Most people have the ability to actually get-up and play the real thing. I do not see why we need a simulator to go and do the same thing too. Simulators of war like FPS/TPS or flying are legitimate because they are expense or dangerous things to do. Playing a sport is cheap and common. I see no need to get a simulator for it.

I am also really bad at puzzle oriented games. I cannot solve most of them. Strategy games are alright, but I am still fairly poor at a majority of them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man I'm not gonna lie, FIFA World Cup 2002 the game) generated more atmosphere and excitement for me than Ocarina of Time. The only sports game that did, mind you, but it got everything down amazingly. At the time the graphics were insane, especially the player likenesses. It had its own original orchestrated sountrack o.o, and the stadiums were fantastically lit and lifelike imitations of their real life counterparts.

There was a different piece of music for scoring a goal for example in each stage of the tournament and the music changed depending on the extent of the lead etc.

Sure gameplay wise all it had were friendly and tournament modes, but the way they captured the whole feel of the World Cup was so ****ing good, and it's really sad that nothing like that will ever happen again for a sport game (well I'm pretty sure of that anyway).

YT clip of opening cinematic (ingame looks and plays like that btw) Bear in mind this came out in early 02

[yt]MN40cGnDyno[/yt]

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That's because those two genres are the most popular right now and everyone is trying to be "original" by disliking them.
I'm not trying to be original, it's just a bit too mainstream for me. But I completely forgot about Mario sports, some of those are kind of fun (except golf lol).

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm not trying to be original, it's just a bit too mainstream for me. But I completely forgot about Mario sports, some of those are kind of fun (except golf lol).
Mainstream does not equate to bad.

finalark

SNORLAX

There's nothing wrong with mainstream games (usually). Just because someone plays both Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed doesn't mean that they won't play Beyond Good and Evil and Shenmue.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Mainstream does not equate to bad.
Shhhhhhhh.... He might be 12 and still think that being "different" on purpose is how you become cool.

Speaking of mainstream, have you heard of hipster constipation? Nah, you probably haven't; it hasn't come out yet.

I'm actually not very good at realistic racers either, lol. I'm decent at F-Zero and Wipeout, but Need for Speed? Nope!

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm bad at fighting games. SSB is a party game, so it doesn't count. I like FPSs, but I need both x and y axes inverted, or I'm screwed. And now, for some reason, my "look" orientation is different from my "aim" orientation.

I don't care for music games (Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc.).

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of a mess.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm actually not very good at realistic racers either, lol. I'm decent at F-Zero and Wipeout, but Need for Speed? Nope!
I'm not good at racing games in general. Realistic or otherwise, I remember the first time I played F-Zero GX with a group of friend who never played the game before a few years ago. Even though I got the game when it first came out and have been playing it for years I got my *** kicked.

Oh yeah, and 2D Mario games. I downloaded Super Mario World off the Virtual Console a way while back and found it to be a lot harder than I remember it. I used to be able to blow through those games when I was a kid, these days they stomp me to the ground.

EDIT: As for genres I plain dislike, I really can't think of any.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I hate sports games.

I don't think there's a genre of gaming that I'm bad at. Period. I could play anything if I really wanted to, and be decent at it.

Top Bottom