• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm not even sure why that leak of all leaks is gaining traction. It's a typical 4chan post. It got the date right, but there have been literal hundreds of fake 4chan leaks that have guessed the date to events correct.
I guess it's because it's about Sora.

Edit - what's funny though is that the leak didn´t have the date right at first. So the leaker probably just changed date quick for the sake of looking real

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not even sure why that leak of all leaks is gaining traction. It's a typical 4chan post. It got the date right, but there have been literal hundreds of fake 4chan leaks that have guessed the date to events correct.
Because unlike the other "leaks" that nailed a date and will hopefully likely be incorrect, this one is about a character that tons of people want to see. If the guy who claimed to have made those posts really did, he's inadvertently created Grinch Leak 2 for the Sorafriends.

And I will revel in their disappointment.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
remember all the Geno leaks we had in 2 years? things did not go well
Sora fans needs to calm down before the dissappointment strikes in if they dont end up getting what they want
Basically why I'm not commenting on it. Just seems like a massive nothing burger. Geno had plenty of convincing sounding things going for him as well which didn't pan out as we would have hoped. The only difference is, we aren't gonna go down the toxic "I told you so." angle many have done to us after the fact. So it's better to just ignore them.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
As much as I wish it were true , I’d agree that the leak being thrown around doesn’t seem to be legit.
honestly it’s hard to believe that Nintendo would want to end this on anything that doesn’t immediately draw attention to Nintendo themselves.

As far as Geno goes, it’s a shame, but ultimately I’d rather see a remake of SMRPG or a true sequel. Definitely a gem square and Nintendo are sleeping on.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I just watched a very well done video of a guy that thinks Geno will/might be the final fighter in Smash Bros. Ultimate, take a look (he starts talking about Geno at 1:30):

And he might have a point: If Geno was planned as the final fighter (the final wish from Sakurai), it would have been way too suspicious to not include the Geno costume in the Sephiroth presentation... there is no rule that mii costumes deconfirm fighters, especially not old/returning mii costumes. When the Heihachi mii costume was announced, most people ruled out a Tekken rep, yet Sakurai surprised us with Kazuya. Maybe this time Sakurai surprises us all with Geno as the final fighter, we can't lose the hope, there is still a chance!!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I just watched a very well done video of a guy that thinks Geno will/might be the final fighter in Smash Bros. Ultimate, take a look (he starts talking about Geno at 1:30):

And he might have a point: If Geno was planned as the final fighter (the final wish from Sakurai), it would have been way too suspicious to not include the Geno costume in the Sephiroth presentation... there is no rule that mii costumes deconfirm fighters, especially not old/returning mii costumes. When the Heihachi mii costume was announced, most people ruled out a Tekken rep, yet Sakurai surprised us with Kazuya. Maybe this time Sakurai surprises us all with Geno as the final fighter, we can't lose the hope, there is still a chance!!
The worst part about the Kazuya comparison is that... well it is Kazuya who is the Tekken rep and not Heihachi. Your example works better for Mallow and not Geno

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
I get the feeling I'm one of the few people who wants Mallow almost as much as I want Geno. They are such a great pair of designs. I might even prefer the design of the cloud prince.

I gotta check out this video.

(Very much didn't mean to make two posts in a row.)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I get the feeling I'm one of the few people who wants Mallow almost as much as I want Geno. They are such a great pair of designs. I might even prefer the design of the cloud prince.
i do want Mallow as well but i would prefer Smithy and Boshi before him not saying i have any issue with Mallow he is a weather fighter which would be amazing to have

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
i do want Mallow as well but i would prefer Smithy and Boshi before him not saying i have any issue with Mallow he is a weather fighter which would be amazing to have
While those other two characters are cool, I just don't see them as becoming full on fighters. Mallow and Geno being party members for most of the game makes them make way more sense when it comes to representing SMRPG.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
While those other two characters are cool, I just don't see them as becoming full on fighters. Mallow and Geno being party members for most of the game makes them make way more sense when it comes to representing SMRPG.
I would like to have the villain side represented similar to Sephiroth kind of situation but after 1 party member they do have interesting potential
For example Boshi could possibly be the SMRPG item user while being an echo of yoshi
Smithy is a shapeshifter fighter with so many things to bring to the table he is both gun and hammer user

Last edited:

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
I would like to have the villain side represented similar to Sephiroth kind of situation but after 1 party member they do have interesting potential
For example Boshi could possibly be the SMRPG item user while being an echo of yoshi
Smithy is a shapeshifter fighter with so many things to bring to the table he is both gun and hammer user
They aren't conceptually bankrupt or anything, just not very realistic picks. I do wish there were echos or alternate costumes in the fighter passes though. Having Boshi as a costume would be really fun.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
The worst part about the Kazuya comparison is that... well it is Kazuya who is the Tekken rep and not Heihachi. Your example works better for Mallow and not Geno
The reason why Nintendo picked Kazuya over Heihachi is because Kazuya "had more moveset potential", not because he had a Mii costume already:

Screenshot_20211002-161408_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20211002-161424_YouTube.jpg

Nintendo also considered to make Rex the nineth DLC fighter instead of just Pyra and Mythra. A Mii costume doesn't automatically deconfirm a character:

Screenshot_20211002-162606_YouTube.jpg

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
The reason why Nintendo picked Kazuya over Heihachi is because Kazuya "had more moveset potential", not because he had a Mii costume already:

Nintendo also considered to make Rex the nineth DLC fighter instead of just Pyra and Mythra. A Mii costume doesn't automatically deconfirm a character:

Huh, yeah. While it is possible that may be a factor, what Sakurai has said makes way make maybe more sense. It's just a coincidence that both didn't become full fledged fighters, or something like that.

D

Deleted member

You know, it's been too long for me to remember, but the last time you posted something out of the blue in the Geno thread, it happened. Probably a coincidence...

But I'm going to consider this post a good luck charm.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
You know, it's been too long for me to remember, but the last time you posted something out of the blue in the Geno thread, it happened. Probably a coincidence...

But I'm going to consider this post a good luck charm.
Woah I can't believe you actually remembered that, since it was over one year ago (just a few minutes before the Age of Calamity twitter announcement). Even though I don't post a lot here, I enjoy the Geno community and often visit this thread as a silent reader. While my most wanted is Phoenix Wright, Geno is still one of my other wish fighters and I would be so happy for everyone here if Geno actually makes it. I'll keep my fingers cross until the very end!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
As much as I want geno, it’s a bit of a stretch. But not impossible. Regardless, hope he gets in one day or we get a remaster of RPG if Nintendo and Square decide they want to make money together again.

Cahalan

Smash Ace

This is why I have a very small suspicion that Geno could be the last fighter.

Besides the arguments from these two posts, Pass 2 seems to be wish-fulfillment on Sakurai's end (despite hearing that Nintendo picks the DLC Fighters).

Just taking into account what Sakurai has explicitly said in past interviews, the reasoning behind Byleth, Min Min, and Pyra/Mythra being DLC becomes clear. Byleth being DLC is because Three Houses was in development hell and originally meant to be a 3DS title of all things.
Min Min was DLC because of an Arms rep missing base-game due to time constraints (Spring Man Assist Trophy being the consolation prize).
Pyra/Mythra being DLC was also because of an XC2 character missing out due to time constraints in addition to having Rex being the Driver of Two blades being resource-heavy for the Switch.

We can extend this train of thought to the 3rd Party characters in Pass 2.
Steve: Rumors have it that Steve was in negotiations for Smash for at least 5 years dating back to Smash 4. The validity of these rumors is shakey, but given the complexity of the character we got, that can also play into how long it took to get Steve in Smash.

Sephiroth: This is super wish-fulfillment when it comes to FFVII representation in Smash. New Music, proper Spirit Art, another stage as a bonus.

Kazuya: Heihachi was mentioned by Sakurai as a potential rep for Namco in Smash 4, but working out special moves to allow him to recover back on stage was tough, so he became a mii costume. Kazuya was chosen because of his Devil form allowing him to do more off stage.

By all intents and purposes, the last character can break this idea of Pass 2 being Wish-fulfillment for Sakurai, but it's still worth keeping it in mind to try and connect the dots of why the last character was chosen over so many others.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Kazuya: Heihachi was mentioned by Sakurai as a potential rep for Namco in Smash 4, but working out special moves to allow him to recover back on stage was tough, so he became a mii costume. Kazuya was chosen because of his Devil form allowing him to do more off stage.

By all intents and purposes, the last character can break this idea of Pass 2 being Wish-fulfillment for Sakurai, but it's still worth keeping it in mind to try and connect the dots of why the last character was chosen over so many others.
The whole tekken rep situation is the whole reason why i still have hope for Geno being the last fighter.

its not dumb to compare Geno to tekken rep situation and it doesnt have to be Mallow to make sense.

we all know why Heihachi was not chosen and it was explained in the direct it has NOTHING to do with the mii costume but some people still assume Geno cant be choosen because Heihachi didnt became playable after the mii costume.

i know some wants to make that the argument can be used on playable Mallow ONLY because of Kazuya being playable and Heihachi is just a mii costume but the situation is actually different.

there is nothing stopping Geno from being chosen playable besides possibly square-enix
Sakurai still has NOT given any reason why Geno didnt become playable while he did for Heihachi even back in smash 4 during the interview.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
remember all the Geno leaks we had in 2 years? things did not go well
Sora fans needs to calm down before the dissappointment strikes in if they dont end up getting what they want
How ironic that you are saying that
Basically why I'm not commenting on it. Just seems like a massive nothing burger. Geno had plenty of convincing sounding things going for him as well which didn't pan out as we would have hoped. The only difference is, we aren't gonna go down the toxic "I told you so." angle many have done to us after the fact. So it's better to just ignore them.
Even as the massive Sora fan I am that really really wants Sora in smash. I wouldnt believe that leak unless something were to happen to support it. Would be cool as hell if he was actually in smash but sometimes. Its better to come to the fact that it probably will never happen

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
How ironic that you are saying that
despite the amount of Geno leaks that we got I never acted as Geno is basically confirmed I ignored disscussing many leaks I just always thought he had a chance to be playable but the leaks and hints still didn’t make me feel he is confirmed.
So I am not sure what’s ironic.
You can look so many videos of people claiming Geno is confirmed for smash back then and I do watch them but still always in the back of my head I think Square-enix can pull the trigger any moment on Geno’s chances and ruin it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
despite the amount of Geno leaks that we got I never acted as Geno is basically confirmed I ignored disscussing many leaks I just always thought he had a chance to be playable but the leaks and hints still didn’t make me feel he is confirmed.
So I am not sure what’s ironic.
It's probably because you're saying "Sora fans should calm down before [...] they don't get what they want" while at the same time, you're also saying that Geno still has a chance to be the final character despite being a Mii costume. (I'd love to see Geno become playable, but DLC Mii costumes have consistently been treated as consolation prizes for a character not being able to make it in, at least for that game)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
A) It still doesn´t change the fact that the argument would have worked if Heihachi was the playable one.
B) I know about that one... However, there is a major flaw in the Rex argument, unfortunately.. Rex is a first-party character, Geno is a third-party character. Nintendo doesn't need to pay extra for having him as a costume and a potential fighter. With the 3rd party costume, they could just look at it as them covering the bases because they already have that character represented in some fashion already on top of already covering that specific company twice with DLC. I mean, even his costume cost money to get access to. It had been a different story if Geno was a first-party character.

Then you might ask.. then why double-dip on Tekken? Bamco is working together with Sakurai in the development and he is good friends with Harada who is essentially the Tekken guy. So it was a simple "we want to give you a character as a thank you + Tekken was the easiest to get access to licensing and budget wize (I wouldn´t be surprised if Sepiroth ate up the majority of the 2nd fighters pass a budget) on top of them only having one character prior in the entire game, while Square had with Sepiroth now 3 in total.

An aspect we need to realize with the DLC is that it partially "strengthen the relationship with said company" type of scenario on top of being popular characters. That´s probably why Capcom doesn´t have a character (as of yet) in the DLC considering Capcom is arguably one of the biggest supporters of Nintendo Switch, even goes so far as to create an entire engine that would work on the Nintendo Switch. I mean, just look at Monster Hunter Rise.

Is it super mega duper impossible that Geno will be the last on Tuesday? Of course not. But these scenarios you presented don´t really work at the end of things, unfortunately.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
A) It still doesn´t change the fact that the argument would have worked if Heihachi was the playable one.
But if Heihachi had "more moveset potential", Nintendo would have picked him instead of Kazuya although he already had a Mii costume, that's what I'm trying to say. This reminds me to the "spirits deconfirm" situation, are we really going to wait until a third party character who already has a Mii costume gets in the game to finally say "Mii costumes don't deconfirm"?

With the 3rd party costume, they could just look at it as them covering the bases because they already have that character represented in some fashion
But Geno and Shantae were already represented in the game as spirits, which are cheaper than Mii costumes, so why would Nintendo "pay extra" to give more content for a character "already represented in some fashion"?

Tekken was the easiest to get access to licensing and budget wize (I wouldn´t be surprised if Sepiroth ate up the majority of the 2nd fighters pass a budget)
Licensing costs money, and some characters and franchises cost more money than others, that's absolutely true.

But saying that the next character can't be Geno because it would be "too expensive" after getting Sepiroth is a bit... this argument works for many other characters. In fact, by this logic the next character MUST be a first party one since Nintendo already spent most of the Fighter Pass 2 budget in Sepiroth and Steve (because I'm pretty sure that Steve wasn't cheap either).

That being said, the point I was trying to make with all of this is:

Is it super mega duper impossible that Geno will be the last on Tuesday? Of course not.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But if Heihachi had "more moveset potential", Nintendo would have picked him instead of Kazuya although he already had a Mii costume, that's what I'm trying to say. This reminds me to the "spirits deconfirm" situation, are we really going to wait until a third party character who already has a Mii costume gets in the game to finally say "Mii costumes don't deconfirm"?
I know that they claimed that... and it could easily be true. But its still, not the same situation as if Heihaci were the playable one over Kazuya

But Geno and Shantae were already represented in the game as spirits, which are cheaper than Mii costumes, so why would Nintendo "pay extra" to give more content for a character "already represented in some fashion"?
Cheaper than general character

But saying that the next character can't be Geno because it would be "too expensive" after getting Sepiroth is a bit... this argument works for many other characters. In fact, by this logic the next character MUST be a first party one since Nintendo already spent most of the Fighter Pass 2 budget in Sepiroth and Steve (because I'm pretty sure that Steve wasn't cheap either).
I'm not saying that he would be too expensive... but like I said before. Smash DLC is partial "better the relationship" with the DLC, and the more spots they give to a specific company, the fewer places they have for other companies to get a spot. There is a reason why Nintendo call the costumes as "here is something at least"

D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm getting sick of the "licensing costs" argument. We absolutely do not know and cannot prove how much it costs to license the likeness of a character OR if it costs more to license them as a Mii Costume or fighter than it would to license them as a spirit.

Do we even have proof that it costs anything?

For all we know, third parties are happy with the advertising that comes from being in Smash and they end up getting a cut of the DLC sales, and that's all the money they ever make from Smash directly, instead banking that they'll indirectly make money on game sales.

Arguing about licensing costs for Geno is goofy **** no matter how you cut it because if you really believe that there's some great cost associated with him, you have to somehow logic up that Nintendo paid whatever for a spirit of him and the objectively less popular Mallow, and then waited a full two years to once again license Geno for a mii costume assuming that a 100 person fanbase is gonna spend 75 cents on it again.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I feel like I'm getting sick of the "licensing costs" argument. We absolutely do not know and cannot prove how much it costs to license the likeness of a character OR if it costs more to license them as a Mii Costume or fighter than it would to license them as a spirit.

Do we even have proof that it costs anything?

For all we know, third parties are happy with the advertising that comes from being in Smash and they end up getting a cut of the DLC sales, and that's all the money they ever make from Smash directly, instead banking that they'll indirectly make money on game sales.

Arguing about licensing costs for Geno is goofy **** no matter how you cut it because if you really believe that there's some great cost associated with him, you have to somehow logic up that Nintendo paid whatever for a spirit of him and the objectively less popular Mallow, and then waited a full two years to once again license Geno for a mii costume assuming that a 100 person fanbase is gonna spend 75 cents on it again.
A) If it was just "it cool take it", then Cloud would have gotten more songs from the get-go
B) If it didn´t have a licensing fee, why would Sakurai feel the need to point out that there is more than likely never be an Ultimate again if it was so easy with the licensing?
C) Why would he go out of his way to talk about why Cloud came with so small an amount of music at first during the Sepiroth trailer, talking about the rights-holding and that hole packet? And Final Fantasy is known for being a franchise that is all over the place when it comes to who owns what and where

I´m not saying that Geno would be expensive, but to say that there isn´t a budget to how much they're willing to spend licensing wize is pretty naive

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
A) If it was just "it cool take it", then Cloud would have gotten more songs from the get-go
B) If it didn´t have a licensing fee, why would Sakurai feel the need to point out that there is more than likely never be an Ultimate again if it was so easy with the licensing?
C) Why would he go out of his way to talk about why Cloud came with so small an amount of music at first during the Sepiroth trailer, talking about the rights-holding and that hole packet? And Final Fantasy is known for being a franchise that is all over the place when it comes to who owns what and where

I´m not saying that Geno would be expensive, but to say that there isn´t a budget to how much they're willing to spend licensing wize is pretty naive
Yeah, licensing isn't free at all.

Remember in the Sephiroth presentation how Sakurai said it was a hassle to get music rights and whatnot, and to work it out through various regions.

Hell, you're still liable to get copyright struck on Twitch or YouTube for playing on either FF stage due to the music.

Sure, you may get some companies like SNK or Namco which are just like "TAKE ALL THE THINGS", but it 100% costs money for licensing for a majority of the content I'd imagine, especially Square Enix and the legal ****ery its music is wrapped up in.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, licensing isn't free at all.

Remember in the Sephiroth presentation how Sakurai said it was a hassle to get music rights and whatnot, and to work it out through various regions.

Hell, you're still liable to get copyright struck on Twitch or YouTube for playing on either FF stage due to the music.

Sure, you may get some companies like SNK or Namco which are just like "TAKE ALL THE THINGS", but it 100% costs money for licensing for a majority of the content I'd imagine, especially Square Enix and the legal ****ery its music is wrapped up in.
Just the fact that they managed to get the soundtrack to be orchestrated in the updated Dragon Quest 11 was a miracle in itself and that was an in-house project. Heck, the fact that they were allowed to do remixes of FF music is just... How the F did you pull that off?

D

Deleted member

You guys are conflating the music licensing with the character licensing and with Square/Enix those are two extremely different things.

I'm not stating as a matter of fact that there's no cost associated purely with the characters, but eventually you have to admit it doesn't add up to count out characters because of licensing that may or may not be a factor.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You guys are conflating the music licensing with the character licensing and with Square/Enix those are two extremely different things.

I'm not stating as a matter of fact that there's no cost associated purely with the characters, but eventually you have to admit it doesn't add up to count out characters because of licensing that may or may not be a factor.
Let me ask you this then. If it was so easy to get a character with as simply just ask and then "cool just take it"... Why did it take around 5 years before Steve got in? Shouldn´t they have been able to make it happen in at least a week when it comes to going over the paper works?

You clearly don´t know how licensing with IPs works if you think it would be free to have a character would there be no music, stages, etc... There is a saying about Hollywood and its Showbusiness and not Showfriends... You can apply that to the video game industry too. Could Sakurai's contact have helped some? Of course, but nothing is free in the world

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"I'm not saying the characters are free..."

"Well if the characters are free why is x y and z?! You clearly know nothing. Checkmate."

Take the time to read what I'm typing, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom