• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
You were invited to Sakurai’s home and you open Sakurai’s drawer. You find another “blue doll possessed Hero” between those 2 Heroes. It’s the official Geno keychain from SMRPG 1996. It means he is next as CP#11-Fighter#82.

View attachment 320398

What’s your reaction?
I always pictured that Geno trailer can be similar to smash 64 trailer it all starts as a fighter being a toy at first then they came to life

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo is really baffling sometimes, I swear. Like, with Mario Golf Super Rush's intro harkening back to GameCube days and Mario Party Superstars returning to the franchise's original formula, it feels like they know what we want, but then they go and place stupid restrictions on themselves that stop RPG characters like Koops and Goombella from reappearing. Absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Heya, ex-regular from the old Geno thread here!

I'm way past done with Smashboards personally, and I only came back here by chance, but I just wanna say, good on y'all for keeping this thread alive, even if it's a husk of its predecessor.

I've fallen off massively from Smash and especially speculation the last several months. I used to be one of the most optimistic people on Geno's chances before the "incident", but now... I don't see it, unless by a miracle more DLC is announced, and even then it's a pretty big maybe.

That said though, keeping a community is important. It's what made Geno that much more important to me. I may not use this website anymore, but it still made someone as introverted as me find a whole lot of great friendships. It gave me more confidence to speak my mind. It lead me to a Discord server that is still one of the only places I truly feel I fit in. It really changed my life for the better, surprisingly.

All of that is extremely valuable. To add to that, keeping Geno and SMRPG alive and popular is the one thing that might still make his Smash appearance and maybe even more SMRPG content happen in the future. And that's why I'm happy to see that this thread is still around, small or not. It's this kind of dedication that makes think Geno will always have a tiny chance for as long as Smash is still going.

That's all I have to say for now. I'll always be supporting Geno even if only in spirit (no pun intended). As papa would say, have a good one!

And never forget, Cacomallow was real and we've just slipped into the fake timeline.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Honestly, with the Deluxe Geno costume mod from Sean Hicks, I love it for being more faithful to his true appearance, but it also sucks because I have a patched Switch, and unless I were to somehow get another one that's capable of being modded, I have no way to get to fully enjoy it.
I'm waiting until the game is considered complete and not getting any additional patches before modding it. Really looking forward to getting this mod in the game. I hope as time progresses, it can only get better in terms of presentation/css etc. I do appreciate how often Geno fans are willing to go a mile when given an inch of anything.

I still feel as if we really have only one more character left but I'm kind of looking forward to tinkering with those four open slots in the game's data to work on a Geno's very own slot for the character select screen.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
After playing Super Rush, I find it safe to say that it is truly back to the pass. There is stuff that I would have preferred, but this is a solid step forward

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
One thing I still find confusing is those Seven Stars soundtrack copyright strikes. Like I know nowadays that whole playlist was taken down, but the fact that the two tracks most heavily associated with Geno were the ones to get actual copyright strikes, while the uploader more or less took the rest of the playlist down on their own terms...

One YouTube comment I remember reading said that Beware the Forest Mushrooms was copyrighted by Nintendo just to have it play alongside Geno's costume reveal.

Which is stupid for me to think about, because not only does Nintendo not officially own the song, but why would they go through the trouble of doing that, and not officially include the song in the first place? And why copyright Fight Against an Armed Boss, if it didn't even show period?

Like, I'm not saying it's anything to get suspicious of, just thinking about the whole thing is giving me a migraine, but that reasoning still feels really, really stupid.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Which is stupid for me to think about, because not only does Nintendo not officially own the song, but why would they go through the trouble of doing that, and not officially include the song in the first place? And why copyright Fight Against an Armed Boss, if it didn't even show period?
It was for the sake of "sending a message" and nothing more complicated then that

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So the Loyd and Dante dream is dead, happily suprised that Shantae got in as a costume (let´s face it she was never more then base game material). Got a bit suprised that we didn´t get any more Tekken Miis and that Dragonborn got included as one.

But it's also safe to say that the next one is the last one and we won´t get a bonus fighter (like I´ve told people constantly)

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So after seeing the mii costumes for Kazuya I'm now upset that even shantaes mii costume came with a music track and genos didn't.
I wouldnt worry about it too much. I would imagine that the licensing with SE us much more difficult than WayForward. Plus it was established every single Indie Mii Costume got a music track.

Which is why finally the Shantae getting a mii costume was the last piece I needed to prove that Deluxe Mii Costumes is a stupid term that was made just for the sake of clout and gatekeeping. Anyone who has criticized Geno for not being as special as Sans or Cuphead can officially be considered bodied. Although if your upset with not getting a bobble headed Geno, I totally understand your concerns.

Definitely nice knowing that Deluxe Mii Costumes is nothing but semantics.

Seeing that there is only one last character left, I am at peace with the fact that Geno will not be playable at this point. However that doesn't mean I won't stop wishing he will be playable in a new game or a new Smash Bros title.

Stay strong everyone! Our day will come sometime.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The presentation was very hype they went too deep into tekken mechanic this makes me really wonder what kind of gimmick would be given to the final fighter and I do still hope it’s Geno with the timed hit mechanic

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So the Loyd and Dante dream is dead, happily suprised that Shantae got in as a costume (let´s face it she was never base game material). Got a bit suprised that we didn´t get any more Tekken Miis and that Dragonborn got included as one.

But it's also safe to say that the next one is the last one and we won´t get a bonus fighter (like I´ve told people constantly)
You Never Told Me

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
And with that confirmation, Smash is done after number 11. I think with that, many fanbases will just pack it up and move on. Not abandon their character since there's always next game, but I think for now, speculation in general for Ultimate is pretty much done.

Which is a bit of a breath of relief as this Smash speculation cycle has probably been one of the worst in general.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I have said it countles of times on this thread that bonus fighter is just "please let it just be one more chance for my MW" without any logic behind it
never paid attention though it's not like I was completely convinced a bonus would happen

But who knows, maybe we might get a bonus until the fat lady sings

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
never paid attention though it's not like I was completely convinced a bonus would happen

But who knows, maybe we might get a bonus until the fat lady sings
Based on what? That whole URL (which I know people will use as an argument for it) is without a doubt a "here you can buy every fighter from FP1&FP2 in one bundle". At best it might be a stage back with stages that haven´t returned. If it even is anything that is. Sakurai has hammered the notion of the next fighter being the last, even more so than him pointing out that Mii Fighters was created because of requests like Goku.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Based on what? That whole URL (which I know people will use as an argument for it) is without a doubt a "here you can buy every fighter from FP1&FP2 in one bundle". At best it might be a stage back with stages that haven´t returned. If it even is anything that is. Sakurai has hammered the notion of the next fighter being the last, even more so than him pointing out that Mii Fighters was created because of requests like Goku.
BASED on Papagenos!! I heard it from him first i think, but at that time i took it as something either way since it's possible they'd throw in a bonus or nothing at all. i was starting to believe it a little overtime and even thought of predicting who it could be if it was true.

If it's true that there is no fighter then fine by me, But i don't think i was believing it from the main source by checking it out first just from someone who had to bring it over.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
So after seeing the mii costumes for Kazuya I'm now upset that even shantaes mii costume came with a music track and genos didn't.
Really makes you wonder what happened there, right? Like it was one thing if only “premium/deluxe/whatever you call ‘em” costumes got the music tracks, but Shantae’s costume looks just as standard as characters like Lloyd, Dante, Geno, Travis, etc. and they didn’t get any music tracks.
It’s most likely something to do with the music rights or something but honestly it’s a super easy way to get people to buy costumes they wouldn’t buy otherwise. I probably wouldn’t have bought the Shantae costume (no offense Shantae fans, you all are super cool folks, I just personally never got into the series), but now that there’s a music track attached to the costume my ape brain said, “buy it for completion sake”.
I am now officially miffed as well we didn’t get a music track with Geno’s costume. Some missed opportunities all around.

In other perhaps positive news, Sakurai actually touched on the fact that there was a lot of fan demand for the characters who were Mii costume’d in this wave, unlike with Geno. I remember we mentioned this a week or two ago, so at the very least we can pick apart an admittedly innocuous comment from Sakurai for the next… Jeez it might be awhile until the final reveal actually.
I’ll be popping in to the thread occasionally, but for the time being I think a lot of our cards have been dealt. All we can do now is wait (or if anyone has any other potential speculation ideas I’d love to hear them).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
BASED on Papagenos!! I heard it from him first i think, but at that time i took it as something either way since it's possible they'd throw in a bonus or nothing at all. i was starting to believe it a little overtime and even thought of predicting who it could be if it was true.

If it's true that there is no fighter then fine by me, But i don't think i was believing it from the main source by checking it out first just from someone who had to bring it over.
Even PapaGenos says its just wishful thinking

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Really makes you wonder what happened there, right? Like it was one thing if only “premium/deluxe/whatever you call ‘em” costumes got the music tracks, but Shantae’s costume looks just as standard as characters like Lloyd, Dante, Geno, Travis, etc. and they didn’t get any music tracks.
It’s most likely something to do with the music rights or something but honestly it’s a super easy way to get people to buy costumes they wouldn’t buy otherwise. I probably wouldn’t have bought the Shantae costume (no offense Shantae fans, you all are super cool folks, I just personally never got into the series), but now that there’s a music track attached to the costume my ape brain said, “buy it for completion sake”.
I am now officially miffed as well we didn’t get a music track with Geno’s costume. Some missed opportunities all around.

In other perhaps positive news, Sakurai actually touched on the fact that there was a lot of fan demand for the characters who were Mii costume’d in this wave, unlike with Geno. I remember we mentioned this a week or two ago, so at the very least we can pick apart an admittedly innocuous comment from Sakurai for the next… Jeez it might be awhile until the final reveal actually.
I’ll be popping in to the thread occasionally, but for the time being I think a lot of our cards have been dealt. All we can do now is wait (or if anyone has any other potential speculation ideas I’d love to hear them).
Exactly. Now that we have proof that you don't have to be a deluxe mii costume to get a music track it just makes geno getting nothing feel so much worse. He wasn't upgraded and he didn't come with a music track. Absolutely nothing that would soften the blow for such a majorly fan demanded character missing smash AGAIN.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Exactly. Now that we have proof that you don't have to be a deluxe mii costume to get a music track it just makes geno getting nothing feel so much worse. He wasn't upgraded and he didn't come with a music track. Absolutely nothing that would soften the blow for such a majorly fan demanded character missing smash AGAIN.
Only the indie characters got a music track. But to say Geno or X or Lloyd etc are less valuable than Bomberman or Minecraft Pig is not a good take at all. A bobble head isn't the end of the world. I get that it can be disappointing but let's not reach into semantics about how "this costume was better looking"

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Maybe it was a question of easier to get when it comes to the Shantae song?

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Only the indie characters got a music track. But to say Geno or X or Lloyd etc are less valuable than Bomberman or Minecraft Pig is not a good take at all. A bobble head isn't the end of the world. I get that it can be disappointing but let's not reach into semantics about how "this costume was better looking"
You’re right, it was in poor taste for me to compare Mii costume quality and deservedness since it’s a heavily subjective and somewhat dangerous topic. To be honest I have no clue what even defines a “deluxe” costume as the community has decided to call it, so perhaps I was reaching a bit too far into territory I’m not exactly familiar with :facepalm:

Paraster

Smash Lord
You’re right, it was in poor taste for me to compare Mii costume quality and deservedness since it’s a heavily subjective and somewhat dangerous topic. To be honest I have no clue what even defines a “deluxe” costume as the community has decided to call it, so perhaps I was reaching a bit too far into territory I’m not exactly familiar with :facepalm:
I think the problem is that Sans and Cuphead, which originated the concept, were both packaged with a music track and completely covered the Mii face to make them much more "realistic." As such, there's some inconsistency among people regarding whether a deluxe Mii needs to be the former, the latter, or both.

Vault Boy and Bomberman cover the Mii face but don't get music tracks. Are they deluxe?
Shantae gets a music track but her Mii face is still visible. Is she deluxe?

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
I see a bad habit in this forum of everything being argued, even without reason.

“it didn’t happen, but I hope this does” doesn’t need to be met with “This is why you’re wrong! This is what goes against that!”

If people are saying, “that sucks, I hope this”

or

“Man, it really sucks that Geno didn’t come with a track when Shantae did”

and they are not bringing up any sort of rules, theories, or reasons beyond they just hoped or felt, let them be. Not everything had to be argued. People are allowed to have emotions and express those emotions without being jumped on.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Deluxe mii costume is a stupid term with an ever changing meaning at this point. I don't fault you for feeling a certain way about them. I felt bitter about the community actively using the term to gatekeep any satisfaction Geno fans found with his representation by just claiming he isn't really there or good enough. When honestly their words effect more than just taking a jab at us but instead going after other fans as well such as Travis, Zero etc

I've had beef with the deluxe terminology when I'm 100% certain the idea of a deluxe costume is stupid. Geno is deserving of representation and I'm thrilled with that. No Gamefaqs/clout chasing scum is gonna convince me otherwise lol

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm gonna guess you guys haven't noticed, but only indie characters got deluxe miis… just saying. I think there was never a reason to expect anyone else to bring a music track, to be fair.

Edit: whoops I didn't notice someone said it already, my bad lol. Glad to see someone has been paying attention haha.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Honestly, at this point, I'm more than ready for this all to just end. I'm sick of all the name calling, all the bragging over what characters get in over others, the Smash fandom may very well be the most toxic, cancerous, and unwelcoming internet fandom of all time.
It's definitely top 5, but I have a hard time believing Smash Ultimate has passed the likes of LoL, Overwatch, Steven Universe and believe it or not She-Ra

Not regretting myself jumping over to Rivals of Aether one bit

I'm gonna guess you guys haven't noticed, but only indie characters got deluxe miis… just saying. I think there was never a reason to expect anyone else to bring a music track, to be fair.
I'm thrilled by this mainly because I'm glad it helps solidify that Deluxe Mii Costume is a dumb made up term.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's definitely top 5, but I have a hard time believing Smash Ultimate has passed the likes of LoL, Overwatch, Steven Universe and believe it or not She-Ra

Not regretting myself jumping over to Rivals of Aether one bit

I'm thrilled by this mainly because I'm glad it helps solidify that Deluxe Mii Costume is a dumb made up term.
Yeah sometimes is better to not have such terms at all, lol. I'm gonna guess Shovel Knight mii in CP11 is one hell of a safe guess at this point, maybe with Strike the Earth! track song

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

Edit: whoops I didn't notice someone said it already, my bad lol. Glad to see someone has been paying attention haha.
I didn't know bomber man was an indie game

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bomberman is also not a deluxe mii costume. None of them are. The only notable differences is that mii costumes based on Indie characters come with music.
Deluxe is a fan term. As is Premium, and they have no consistent definition by the fanbase at all. For a good reason. It's just making a name for a pattern(one that is not consistent).

I thought it meant music too, but to be honest, I don't think the music actually ever mattered. What mattered is that the costume fits the entire body, with no face cut-outs, etc. Shantae is pretty much just a better version of ones like Geno or Isabelle at this point. She clearly had more work put into her than those two(albeit, she's a new costume, not a returning one, so the standards would likely be different compared to just polishing a costume at best, which describes all the returning ones).

Vault Boy is also way more deluxe design-wise. The lack of music is understandable, due to having a lot more generic music(not made for the game), so that's harder to license. Bomberman having no music is odd, but he's a pretty clear Deluxe. He fully encompasses the body and has 8 alternate colors. That's... a lot more special than a song(which we know the songs aren't requirements). Nor is being an Indie.

And that's why it's a fan term. Sakurai never said they were a special category. He never gave them a name or a rule. Because there was never consistency or rules on how it works. Any costumes can come with music, and it seems like Indie costumes just simply having a better chance at it and that's all there is to that. Whereas what are more Deluxe(special) costumes are all about the "cover the entire MIi". They basically aren't the same thing in practice, as we found out once Shantae(who as I noted is still the same type of costume Geno is) was shown off.

Honestly, I feel like it's easier to divide them into two categories; Deluxe(Full Body suit, no face cut-out) and Premium(Music). And some can be both(Sans and Cuphead respectively), whereas the rest only fit one category. If only there was a better term to split them up, heh.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Deluxe is a fan term. As is Premium, and they have no consistent definition by the fanbase at all. For a good reason. It's just making a name for a pattern(one that is not consistent).

I thought it meant music too, but to be honest, I don't think the music actually ever mattered. What mattered is that the costume fits the entire body, with no face cut-outs, etc. Shantae is pretty much just a better version of ones like Geno or Isabelle at this point. She clearly had more work put into her than those two(albeit, she's a new costume, not a returning one, so the standards would likely be different compared to just polishing a costume at best, which describes all the returning ones).

Vault Boy is also way more deluxe design-wise. The lack of music is understandable, due to having a lot more generic music(not made for the game), so that's harder to license. Bomberman having no music is odd, but he's a pretty clear Deluxe. He fully encompasses the body and has 8 alternate colors. That's... a lot more special than a song(which we know the songs aren't requirements). Nor is being an Indie.

And that's why it's a fan term. Sakurai never said they were a special category. He never gave them a name or a rule. Because there was never consistency or rules on how it works. Any costumes can come with music, and it seems like Indie costumes just simply having a better chance at it and that's all there is to that. Whereas what are more Deluxe(special) costumes are all about the "cover the entire MIi". They basically aren't the same thing in practice, as we found out once Shantae(who as I noted is still the same type of costume Geno is) was shown off.

Honestly, I feel like it's easier to divide them into two categories; Deluxe(Full Body suit, no face cut-out) and Premium(Music). And some can be both(Sans and Cuphead respectively), whereas the rest only fit one category. If only there was a better term to split them up, heh.
Let's just call them Mii Costumes and not worry about semantics? That is just how we get into gatekeeping other characters that are basically all worth the same $0.75 to one another. Deluxe Mii Costume has and always will be a dumb term.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's just call them Mii Costumes and not worry about semantics? That is just how we get into gatekeeping other characters that are basically all worth the same $0.75 to one another. Deluxe Mii Costume has and always will be a dumb term.
Of course it's a dumb term.

But there's clearly a difference between how they're handled anyway. Shantae and Bomberman both are respectively special, but in a different way.

It's probably a good thing Sakurai didn't give them a name either, cause it didn't take long for what we thought matter to... well not matter. XD

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I think whether a costume has its face covered or not depends on what the character's most recognizable features are.

Sans' cheeky grin, Vault Boy's 50s art style and Cuphead's... Uh, cup head are what defines them, whereas Geno's most iconic features are his hat, cape and gun and Shantae's are her clothes and whip-hair.

Top Bottom