• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I just think it means a lot to be able to pick up a console, especially one that you're presumably going to be playing out in public, in a color that you actually like. It isn't "personal" in the sense that it's unique to you, but it's better than having to pick the black or the silver one because that's "sleek" or "modern" or "matches everything". I totally get why they ditched the whole "let's make this console in 14 colors" model, at least one color is gonna sit on shelves or be less popular overall, but it's just a shame in general. At least you can buy aftermarket shells on amazon and replace them yourself.

There's this goofy ad from Nintendo Power back in the day that I think really captures the essence of what I mean much better than I could ever actually put into words:
View attachment 306972
oh, yeah, I agree that more colors would be great. I get what you mean
Why in Mozenwrath's Name are people whinning about the Mii's all of a sudden?
I have no idea.

imo they are way more charming than those generic and bland avatars the Xbox has

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I just think it means a lot to be able to pick up a console, especially one that you're presumably going to be playing out in public, in a color that you actually like. It isn't "personal" in the sense that it's unique to you, but it's better than having to pick the black or the silver one because that's "sleek" or "modern" or "matches everything". I totally get why they ditched the whole "let's make this console in 14 colors" model, at least one color is gonna sit on shelves or be less popular overall, but it's just a shame in general. At least you can buy aftermarket shells on amazon and replace them yourself.

There's this goofy ad from Nintendo Power back in the day that I think really captures the essence of what I mean much better than I could ever actually put into words:
View attachment 306972
Clear casings are still cool and never should have gone out of style

Firox

Smash Master
They are transparent, but they're not atomic purple.
LOL I do remember some of those more wacky Game Boy Color choices. My brother had one that I used to lovingly call "Kick-in-the-face Green" because of how painfully bright it was.

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I’m not really a Geno fan, Geno isn’t even in my top 20 most wanted characters for Smash. But I made sure to put a vote for Geno in there anyway. With how massive Geno’s support has been, and the heartbreak of the Mii costume returning, you all absolutely deserve it. It’s pretty clear that Geno is more popular than Nintendo and Square think he is, and an official figure of Geno would be one of the best ways to prove how much Geno and Super Mario RPG truly means to people. Godspeed.
Thank you so much for showing support :) Let's hope we can make it happen ^^

Imagin Disney or EA buying the right to all SMRPG characters
Oh lord, let's not give ALL the power to the Big M or EA. That could only lead to catastrophe.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
oh welcome back kite the only news we have currently is voting for the Geno nendoroid so we can have a new official Geno toy
Wait, what's this about an official Geno toy?

EDIT: Oh, One Punch Man, now I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
There is the rumor of the remake that's been floating around, so it's possible that's why we haven't seen it
I'm expecting it next as the major SNES game added. The longer it goes omitted, the more suspicious it will be. But for now, I don't expect anything too major going on with the SMRPG brand. The anniversary kind of came and although it was awesome seeing it highlighted, it wasn't anything too ground breaking aside from the whole "hey this game is awesome"

D

Deleted member

I don't know that I would hold my breath for a "major game" to hit the SNES/NES online services with every update. We've had, to the best of my memory, two updates so far that brought underwhelming titles to both consoles despite the continued absence of fan favorites and cult classics. I'll give Wild Guns a pass since it's a very expensive game to get physically, but for the most part, the games we see from third parties are the kind that would never actually sell. Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are the most surprising third party inclusions, in my opinion, only because Capcom could have easily ported the pair as a collection and sold it for 30 or 40 USD, but they opted to offer it for free. The rest of what we have are nasty old Jaleco or Tecmo games with the occasional Konami thrown in, and zero representation of Square's storied history on the consoles.

Something I've taken note of is that, obviously, third party publishers are in no rush to offer for free what they already have or plan to port in some other fashion. For instance, not a single Mega Man title has showed up, clearly owing to the fact that the Switch is home to both the Mega Man and Mega Man X legacy collections. Perhaps a more telling omission is Gradius III, a game that was virtually a SNES launch title (only off by a few days in Japan), and one that would be a natural fit for a service like SNES online, especially since Gradius (NES) was one of the first titles on NES online. Lo and behold, however, that Konami had planned and have released a port of the arcade version of Gradius III.

If you think of quantity as meaning more than quality then the NSO console emulation is a great value for what you pay yearly for Nintendo's online service, but if you think about the games themselves, almost nothing of value has been or will ever be added to this (again, outside of Nintendo's first party offerings). Because of this, I think the most likely next "noteworthy" addition to the service is going to be Earthbound, and beyond that, Nintendo is just going to continue to strike deals for the kind of filler trash you find hundreds of copies of at your local retro store in the bargain section - it's worth remembering that between the NES and the SNES there's almost 2000 licensed NTSC games and of those, only maybe 100 are worthy of memory in any unironic capacity. Safe to say that Nintendo will have years worth of updates to these services without ever having to twist anyone's arm to make the call between charging for a port or a collection and offering something for free.

If it's not obvious by this somewhat roundabout explanation, I think that the odds of seeing Super Mario RPG on NSO:SNES are sitting happily at 0. I don't necessarily think this means anything for a potential remake as much as it simply could mean that when the time is right, Square will approach Nintendo about offering it for sale as a digital download.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, for what it's worth, every big :ultmario: leak rumor that's flown around so far has come true.

The 3D Mario games have gotten a collection.
Super Mario 3D World has gotten a port with new exclusive content.

When or if the SMRPG one will come to fruition, nobody truly knows, but Square-Enix's recent slew of Switch support suggests that they might get around to it eventually.

D

Deleted member

At any rate, for what it's worth, every big :ultmario: leak rumor that's flown around so far has come true.

The 3D Mario games have gotten a collection.
Super Mario 3D World has gotten a port with new exclusive content.

When or if the SMRPG one will come to fruition, nobody truly knows, but Square-Enix's recent slew of Switch support suggests that they might get around to it eventually.
You can include "Mario sports title" on that, but at the same time, there were some folks who claimed otherwise. I don't think you have to be a very high level tea-leaf reader to sense a Mario sports title on the horizon. Mario Kart 9 is one of those "up in the air" deals, if I'm remembering correctly.

As for Square's Switch support... Yeah, I guess. It's infuriating that Nintendo scores limited time exclusivity deals for discount Final Fantasy in Bravely Default and whatever Octopath... or whatever they're calling that "franchise" is trying to be at any given time (Octopath/Triangle Strategy sets my ass on fire since at this point, Octopath could have been called a SaGa Frontier title and Triangle Strategy could have been a new Final Fantasy Tactics) instead of getting at least some sort of watery port of SE's big money franchises like, uh... this little thing called "Final Fantasy" or, loathe as I am to say it, Kingdom Hearts. It's to the point that Sephiroth's inclusion in Smash feels like Nintendo's kissing SE's ass and getting nothing out of it aside from the clout that comes with having the video game villain on the roster.

For what it's worth though, SE has seemed to be about late SNES era remakes, what with Trials of Mana last year and SaGa Frontier as well as Legend of Mana this year (though that one is more of a late N64 era game). Coincidental, at best.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd say the biggest issue with SE when it comes to Switch is that they still seem to view it as an extension of the DS/3DS market, which is arguably to their detriment. For example, Capcom isn't necessarily putting the biggest AAA titles on it, but they have made real efforts to get a good backlog of titles on there (see the Devil May Cry re-releases) and with stuff like Monster Hunter Rises, they clearly are designing projects to take advantage of the base that's there. Even bringing back an old IPs for niche audiences like Ghosts 'N Goblins is a distinct sign of what they want to do with the console.

With Square Enix I'm not really shocked that they're not putting the newest Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy game on there, but not even getting the old KH titles on Switch? The 8 bit & 16 bit FF games (ones that debuted on Nintendo consoles no less) not available to purchase? No Tomb Raider collection or digital releases of anything from that library? Forget the argument about fan/owner entitlement to games, stuff like that is easy financial opportunity that they're failing to make the most of because the evidence suggests that releasing Trials of Mana on it or timed releases like Octopath Traveler is about as far as they're willing to go.

Even Dragon Quest XI felt less like a priority about the system specifically and more a game they were so focused on highlighting that it overcame their usual disinterest in semi-major releases for the console. Square can talk up their shiny new projects like Project Triangle Strategy nicely sure, but you'd be forgiven for assuming that there's still a dubious relationship between them and Nintendo because quite frankly its either that or a lack of imagination that explains why support for Switch feels meh a lot of the time.

Its why a Super Mario RPG remake has my skepticism. It would require both an active interest in the concept and with one company that's moved away from traditional Role Playing elements for Mario spin-offs while the other seems to see a KH Rhythm game as a big seasonal release by them for the console? I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I thought Pyra and Mythra were pretty cool. I know some people wanted Rex and Pyra

But maybe they made the better choice here least Rex is somewhat with them.

Hopefully SMRPG comes to Nintendo Switch online eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see a geno thread up again. Still sad about the costume and unfortunately fp2 as a whole has been pretty bad for me so far. Still happy that some of you have some sort of positivity in these times.

QQS

Smash Lord
Don’t know if I’m too blind or too optimistic; but Geno still has chances to be playable. There is no way Nintendo, Sakurai and the Team can ignore this whole campaign not saying even a word about this eternal fan request, probably the biggest left with some others like Isaac or Sora.

I think Geno perfectly can be upgraded to playable in FP3 or Bonus in the Last 3 or 4 characters that I think are coming...

Reading The List and being in this campaign forever (always loving Geno since I was 7 years old) but online just since Wii U), makes no sense for me that Geno didn’t joined the party already.

Im not done until they officially close the roster. The game is perfect and I already got my previous most wanted 3rd Party (Mega Man), but I feel kind of empty after Geno is missing.

Please, Geno, wherever you are, you must awake. It’s been long 25 years.

Best wishes and I hope everyone have a nice week :)

GENO JOINS THE PARTY!

F10BE021-B222-41E4-ADD6-1F3709D263B6.jpeg
Art seen here. Credit to artist.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to take a moment to touch on the perception of the "sterilization" of Mario, or perhaps something really tinfoil hat like "the Mario mandate" and offer up a very recent counterpoint: Bowser's Fury.

Now, I'll grant you that no really original characters show up in Bowser's Fury, (although a Bob-omb with cat ears would probably be someone's favorite Paper Mario partner) and in general it was pretty "safe"... Until you really think about the fine details. This is something of a direct sequel to a Mario platformer we're talking about, where Peach isn't playable and yet Mario doesn't have to save her, and in fact, is working to save Bowser from what seems to have been described as a magic science paintbrush accident gone wrong (I find it funny that I wasn't far off the mark when I originally called that Bowser was inconsolably pissed that he tripped over Bowser Jr's paint buckets). Mario actively works with a character who is, for all practical purposes his enemy, to save his true archenemy.

What I find the most refreshing and maybe the most stand-up example of what would suggest a disregard of Mario's alleged sterilization, however, is Mario himself; he has been given life. A complaint that I hear often, and have myself, is that Mario has become something of a bright eyed good guy, ready to do whatever it takes to save whoever may be in trouble because he just does. He's some kind of rubbery plumbing based Superman who rises to every challenge because he apparently has nothing better to do, but not here. The expression given to him upon meeting Bowser Jr in the weird cat world is priceless. I mean look at the guy:

unknown.png

If you didn't know it, you'd think this is a fan render for use in Source Filmmaker. This isn't the Mario people expect. Bowser Jr is telling him that Bowser's not himself and Mario's standing there, arms crossed, like "and I give a **** about this why?" He isn't ready to help until Bowser Jr absolutely pours his pride out into the lake and actually says "I'm asking for help, here", and that's just so out of what seems to have been Mario's character for the past 20 years, but at the same time, it's not. It's comical and lighthearted and fits the world perfectly - he's not aggressively indifferent, he just goes into it sick of this nonsense and comes out of it resigned to the fact that "nonsense" is how it is. Hell, I think it's leaps and bounds in the franchise's subtle storytelling to have to wonder: why did Mario help at all? Is it because he's the unconditional good guy? Is it because it was an excuse to beat Bowser up? The only way he could think to get back out of the cat dimension? All of the above?

It's a real shame that Mario got his personality back only a month before being erased from existence. :^)

I'm obviously no stranger to disappointment, so it could very well be that this was the storyboarding of a team that didn't get too much oversight during pandemic development - the kind of stuff that happened by accident, away from the eyes of the shadowy Board of Mario Purity (which is totally real because some dude on /v/ said so!). Could be that the next mainline Mario title is going to go right back to blank slate Mario who is all smiles and only thrilled to help whoever may be in need, but I think that fans may have taken adherence to a style guide mixed with quick and dirty remakes and lackluster new titles in a beloved spinoff a bit too personally.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I'd like to take a moment to touch on the perception of the "sterilization" of Mario, or perhaps something really tinfoil hat like "the Mario mandate" and offer up a very recent counterpoint: Bowser's Fury.

Now, I'll grant you that no really original characters show up in Bowser's Fury, (although a Bob-omb with cat ears would probably be someone's favorite Paper Mario partner) and in general it was pretty "safe"... Until you really think about the fine details. This is something of a direct sequel to a Mario platformer we're talking about, where Peach isn't playable and yet Mario doesn't have to save her, and in fact, is working to save Bowser from what seems to have been described as a magic science paintbrush accident gone wrong (I find it funny that I wasn't far off the mark when I originally called that Bowser was inconsolably pissed that he tripped over Bowser Jr's paint buckets). Mario actively works with a character who is, for all practical purposes his enemy, to save his true archenemy.

What I find the most refreshing and maybe the most stand-up example of what would suggest a disregard of Mario's alleged sterilization, however, is Mario himself; he has been given life. A complaint that I hear often, and have myself, is that Mario has become something of a bright eyed good guy, ready to do whatever it takes to save whoever may be in trouble because he just does. He's some kind of rubbery plumbing based Superman who rises to every challenge because he apparently has nothing better to do, but not here. The expression given to him upon meeting Bowser Jr in the weird cat world is priceless. I mean look at the guy:

View attachment 308324

If you didn't know it, you'd think this is a fan render for use in Source Filmmaker. This isn't the Mario people expect. Bowser Jr is telling him that Bowser's not himself and Mario's standing there, arms crossed, like "and I give a **** about this why?" He isn't ready to help until Bowser Jr absolutely pours his pride out into the lake and actually says "I'm asking for help, here", and that's just so out of what seems to have been Mario's character for the past 20 years, but at the same time, it's not. It's comical and lighthearted and fits the world perfectly - he's not aggressively indifferent, he just goes into it sick of this nonsense and comes out of it resigned to the fact that "nonsense" is how it is. Hell, I think it's leaps and bounds in the franchise's subtle storytelling to have to wonder: why did Mario help at all? Is it because he's the unconditional good guy? Is it because it was an excuse to beat Bowser up? The only way he could think to get back out of the cat dimension? All of the above?

It's a real shame that Mario got his personality back only a month before being erased from existence. :^)

I'm obviously no stranger to disappointment, so it could very well be that this was the storyboarding of a team that didn't get too much oversight during pandemic development - the kind of stuff that happened by accident, away from the eyes of the shadowy Board of Mario Purity (which is totally real because some dude on /v/ said so!). Could be that the next mainline Mario title is going to go right back to blank slate Mario who is all smiles and only thrilled to help whoever may be in need, but I think that fans may have taken adherence to a style guide mixed with quick and dirty remakes and lackluster new titles in a beloved spinoff a bit too personally.
I feel like it's less that the "sterilization" of Mario never happened, but rather they're moving away from it. In general it feels like they're taking the Mario series in a bit of a new direction, like, they brought back Bowser Jr.'s Paintbrush! Who would've thought that would happen!
Mario mainline titles have often been the exception to the guidelines the spinoff games get. Mario Odyssey alone has more variety in locale and NPC’s the RPG’s have in the last 10 years.
at least the 3D games, the NSMB games are pretty much at the core of it

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I feel like it's less that the "sterilization" of Mario never happened, but rather they're moving away from it. In general it feels like they're taking the Mario series in a bit of a new direction, like, they brought back Bowser Jr.'s Paintbrush! Who would've thought that would happen!
I am not sure why it is they think pure, Christ-like characters are unrealistic. He's a plumber who beats the **** out of a giant dragon turtle thing, to start... plus, there are people in the world who are that altruistic -- and let's be real here, most people perceive Bowser and the Koopas as pathetic clowns who are beneath contempt anyway, so I don't see why it would be out of character or unreasonable for Mario to step in and help when Bowser is in trouble. It would help him assert his superiority over them, if anything.

D

Deleted member

I am not sure why it is they think pure, Christ-like characters are unrealistic. He's a plumber who beats the **** out of a giant dragon turtle thing, to start... plus, there are people in the world who are that altruistic -- and let's be real here, most people perceive Bowser and the Koopas as pathetic clowns who are beneath contempt anyway, so I don't see why it would be out of character or unreasonable for Mario to step in and help when Bowser is in trouble. It would help him assert his superiority over them, if anything.
This makes Mario sound like a racist.

Top Bottom