• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
There's plenty of other "long-term requests" that also missed out.

Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal, Dixie, Bandana Dee, etc
I think they meant to make the comparison to those 3 specifically because all the characters you mentioned got most of their fans back in brawl or smash 4 while geno has had a large fan backing since melee. Similar to k rool, ridley and banjo.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think they meant to make the comparison to those 3 specifically because all the characters you mentioned got most of their fans back in brawl or smash 4 while geno has had a large fan backing since melee. Similar to k rool, ridley and banjo.
K. Rool didn't really have a large fan following until Smash 4 either though. We were all waiting on Diddy beforehand.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
K. Rool didn't really have a large fan following until Smash 4 either though. We were all waiting on Diddy beforehand.
But didnt he rank super high in some japanese poll for new entrants in brawl. Even then your previous argument about other fan favourites missing out doesn't really compare to genos situation. None of the mentioned characters are characters that we know sakurai has even thought about adding at any point. But geno is a character who he admitted he tried to add to smash at some point but couldn't because of outside reasons (undoubtedly square). At this point if he still doesn't get in even after sakurai flat out says he wants to put him in and thinks hed be great hed be a massive outlier. I still dont think hes getting in thanks to square but it still is ridiculous that he missed out after everything hes been through.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But didnt he rank super high in some japanese poll for new entrants in brawl. Even then your previous argument about other fan favourites missing out doesn't really compare to genos situation. None of the mentioned characters are characters that we know sakurai has even thought about adding at any point. But geno is a character who he admitted he tried to add to smash at some point but couldn't because of outside reasons (undoubtedly square). At this point if he still doesn't get in even after sakurai flat out says he wants to put him in and thinks hed be great hed be a massive outlier. I still dont think hes getting in thanks to square but it still is ridiculous that he missed out after everything hes been through.
I mean honestly I'm sure if you were to ask him about like, Isaac, he'd probably just tell you the same thing: that he's cool and he has his fans so he attempted to appease them by bringing back the assist trophy and also giving him a Mii outfit.

Look what he said about Saki awhile back: https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist12.html

There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!
Almost the same thing he said about Geno, that he was cool and had his fans so he threw them a consolation prize. Geno isn't really that special.

I think the overall point here is that Sakurai is a guy who plays lots and lots of games and naturally there's lots of characters he thinks would be neat to have in Smash, but ultimately doesn't put them in for one reason or another.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I mean I can honestly see a situation where this happens. I can see sakurai managing to get Ridley and k.rool since they're first party and easy to add in. Phil Spencer was just a cool guy and wanted to see banjo get in for the fans. But square? Why should I believe in them to add geno? As much I'd like to I've taken the costume coming back as square openly acknowledging that they know people want geno in smash but they dont give a **** what we want because they dont care about him. I'm still hoping he gets in but honestly I cant reasonably expect square or nintendo to actually come through for us.
Why can't you though? Is there legitimate reason for you to feel that way, or is it just a pessimistic world view because 'Of course they won't do what I want'? What has Nintendo or Square done that suggests they won't listen to fans and give them what they want?

If you look at Nintendo, while they have done some things recently that reek of things EA might do like scammy mobile games, purposely inflated sales of certain games by limiting their availability to be purchased and crappy online that you pay for, anything else outside of that is mostly blown out of proportion and having context or understanding of business and law removed with a sense of entitlement behind it often times. Even without that, looking at Smash specifically, the history of character additions in Ultimate has a whopping majority of choices that please the fans versus those who don't.

Do me a favor, and take a moment to look at this crazy-ass line-up here.

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbylethf::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:

These are all the brand-new inclusions to Smash via Ultimate, which is 22 brand new characters, not including alts and including Mythra as her own character because she is. Dropping echoes brings this down to 17, if you REALLY don't see characters like Ken or Chrom to be their own unique character. Out of 17-22 characters, arguably only four or five had no serious request behind them, the big outliers being Plant, Terry, Byleth and Min Min and give or take Ken or Incineroar based on your area. Regardless of how you look at it, that is at minimum 11/17 and at most 16/22 characters that were fan requested have gotten into the game. That would come out to a 72.73% success rate overall, and that's not including how requested all the returning veterans were and also not factoring in how some of these characters were actually still well received like Terry or Min Min versus total failures like Byleth and arguably Plant.

In other words, Sakurai and Co + Nintendo are at almost 75% at nailing characters people have openly asked for, targeting specifically only new characters and focusing only on how much demand they had before their reveal. From this, what here tells you Nintendo won't look to put Geno into Smash? Geno isn't some nobody who has almost no requests or even a character that only got popular recently, so he perfectly lines up to be on Nintendo's radar with no reason for them to say no.

As for Square, what reason do they have to say no? Sure, you can argue that Geno hasn't happened yet and instead we've gotten three other Square inclusions, but look at who they are for a moment. The most popular face of their most popular franchise that people have begged for a remake for years, many popular faces of their franchise that is most popular in their own country, and the popular villain to their most popular face of their most popular franchise. These are all very logical decisions to make, especially with how dirty Cloud was done for content in Smash 4. Now, who else can they really pick that looms over Geno? Really, the stupid mouse-dressed boy with a large door-unlocking device is the only answer here. See, Sora is the only thing that really competes with Geno in terms of requests, beating him due to mainstream popularity. Lara Croft is much more forgotten sadly, Crono is very niche despite Chrono Trigger often regarded as 'da best rpg', 2B doesn't have as much pull in the Smash community as you make think in terms of lots of demand (but has a decent amount to be sure). I will admit that I said similar things to Sephiroth about not having much request, but I also wasn't considering past request and FF7R hype and honestly how Cloud goes nowhere without Sephiroth, so even though I was wrong it's not the same kind of situation.

I will say that if Square gets in Sora over Geno, that's very understandable, but everything we've heard thus far suggests it won't happen thanks to Disney Japan. However, if another character from Square that isn't Sora gets in before Geno, then I think you can make the assumption that Square doesn't value him nor his fan demand, but we can only gleam that if such a situation happens. Outside of Smash, Square has been going in hard on both FF7R and their new FF as well as giving the US many ports of games we never got to play. We also have Bravely Default 2, that new game clearly being made by the Octopath Team, and rumors of a SMRPG remake that seems very credible. Nothing from their actions suggests they wouldn't be listening to what the fans are asking for, as they have just recently realized how much money they make when they do that.

Almost the same thing he said about Geno, that he was cool and had his fans so he threw them a consolation prize. Geno isn't really that special.

I think the overall point here is that Sakurai is a guy who plays lots and lots of games and naturally there's lots of characters he thinks would be neat to have in Smash, but ultimately doesn't put them in for one reason or another.
Almost is the key word there, as the real truth is that Sakurai ACTUALLY said both something similar to this AND 'Yeah, I think he's great for Smash and I've actually tried to put him since Brawl, but it just hasn't worked out yet. So, to let fans know I'm listening, I gave them this costume.'

What about that is 1-for-1 what he said about Saki? It's not. Geno is extremely special in this regard, as the man himself wants him in the game and just hasn't been able to make it work, yet here we are in the game where everything seems to work. Try not to make incomplete comparisons, as it's glaringly obvious the difference here.

Reactions: Dan

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It is literally so bizarre that K. Rool was upgraded from costume to playable, Ridley from stage boss to playable and Banjo just becomes playable with never having any presence in the series while Geno was a costume and just became a costume again. We all could've lived with a deluxe, but that was somehow asking too much.
While Nintendo could have a blame in that, I would also put the blame on Square-Enix for at least not giving us a Deluxe Mii costume for Geno. That obviously shows either Nintendo, Square-Enix or both doesn't give a **** about Geno or us SMRPG fans.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Why can't you though? Is there legitimate reason for you to feel that way, or is it just a pessimistic world view because 'Of course they won't do what I want'? What has Nintendo or Square done that suggests they won't listen to fans and give them what they want?

If you look at Nintendo, while they have done some things recently that reek of things EA might do like scammy mobile games, purposely inflated sales of certain games by limiting their availability to be purchased and crappy online that you pay for, anything else outside of that is mostly blown out of proportion and having context or understanding of business and law removed with a sense of entitlement behind it often times. Even without that, looking at Smash specifically, the history of character additions in Ultimate has a whopping majority of choices that please the fans versus those who don't.

Do me a favor, and take a moment to look at this crazy-ass line-up here.

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbylethf::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:

These are all the brand-new inclusions to Smash via Ultimate, which is 22 brand new characters, not including alts and including Mythra as her own character because she is. Dropping echoes brings this down to 17, if you REALLY don't see characters like Ken or Chrom to be their own unique character. Out of 17-22 characters, arguably only four or five had no serious request behind them, the big outliers being Plant, Terry, Byleth and Min Min and give or take Ken or Incineroar based on your area. Regardless of how you look at it, that is at minimum 11/17 and at most 16/22 characters that were fan requested have gotten into the game. That would come out to a 72.73% success rate overall, and that's not including how requested all the returning veterans were and also not factoring in how some of these characters were actually still well received like Terry or Min Min versus total failures like Byleth and arguably Plant.

In other words, Sakurai and Co + Nintendo are at almost 75% at nailing characters people have openly asked for, targeting specifically only new characters and focusing only on how much demand they had before their reveal. From this, what here tells you Nintendo won't look to put Geno into Smash? Geno isn't some nobody who has almost no requests or even a character that only got popular recently, so he perfectly lines up to be on Nintendo's radar with no reason for them to say no.

As for Square, what reason do they have to say no? Sure, you can argue that Geno hasn't happened yet and instead we've gotten three other Square inclusions, but look at who they are for a moment. The most popular face of their most popular franchise that people have begged for a remake for years, many popular faces of their franchise that is most popular in their own country, and the popular villain to their most popular face of their most popular franchise. These are all very logical decisions to make, especially with how dirty Cloud was done for content in Smash 4. Now, who else can they really pick that looms over Geno? Really, the stupid mouse-dressed boy with a large door-unlocking device is the only answer here. See, Sora is the only thing that really competes with Geno in terms of requests, beating him due to mainstream popularity. Lara Croft is much more forgotten sadly, Crono is very niche despite Chrono Trigger often regarded as 'da best rpg', 2B doesn't have as much pull in the Smash community as you make think in terms of lots of demand (but has a decent amount to be sure). I will admit that I said similar things to Sephiroth about not having much request, but I also wasn't considering past request and FF7R hype and honestly how Cloud goes nowhere without Sephiroth, so even though I was wrong it's not the same kind of situation.

I will say that if Square gets in Sora over Geno, that's very understandable, but everything we've heard thus far suggests it won't happen thanks to Disney Japan. However, if another character from Square that isn't Sora gets in before Geno, then I think you can make the assumption that Square doesn't value him nor his fan demand, but we can only gleam that if such a situation happens. Outside of Smash, Square has been going in hard on both FF7R and their new FF as well as giving the US many ports of games we never got to play. We also have Bravely Default 2, that new game clearly being made by the Octopath Team, and rumors of a SMRPG remake that seems very credible. Nothing from their actions suggests they wouldn't be listening to what the fans are asking for, as they have just recently realized how much money they make when they do that.

Almost is the key word there, as the real truth is that Sakurai ACTUALLY said both something similar to this AND 'Yeah, I think he's great for Smash and I've actually tried to put him since Brawl, but it just hasn't worked out yet. So, to let fans know I'm listening, I gave them this costume.'

What about that is 1-for-1 what he said about Saki? It's not. Geno is extremely special in this regard, as the man himself wants him in the game and just hasn't been able to make it work, yet here we are in the game where everything seems to work. Try not to make incomplete comparisons, as it's glaringly obvious the difference here.
I dont want to come off like I have no hope for geno at all because I still do. I have simply chosen to believe that his costume is a strong sign that he isnt coming to smash. You have no idea how much I'd love to be wrong on that but it is what I choose to believe. My reasoning being because I am sick and tired of being disappointed. Ever since byleth the new characters and my excitement for the game has gone completely down hill. So much so that I dont even know if I will be that excited when a new smash reveal gets announced. I see how much ultimate has given us and yes its fantastic how many characters have gotten in that the community actively asked for. The only way I'd become even semi confident in genos chances would be the announcement of a third pass or some sort of bonus character.

On the topic of square themselves I'm definetly pessimistic. I know there arent alot of characters that can stand in genos way BUT I'm also a strong believer that since geno isnt actually apart of any of squares properties and wouldnt be a direct advertisement for any of their games like hero (DQ 11) and sephiroth (FF7 Remake) that they would chose to say f the fan demand and say a costume is what you get. IF the rumors of the smrpg remake are true AND it gets announced before smash dlc ends then my faith in geno will be somewhat restored.

I've wanted geno in smash for almost a decade now and I've still got some hope. But the farther we get Into the dlc the more that hope dwindles. I know you think he still has a decent chance and I commemorate you for that. I'm still very upset about the circumstances involving his mii costume and everything that went on around those times. Seeing his mii costume come back genuinely made me sick to my stomach.

Once again I would love if he ended up getting in BUT to keep myself from ever being that disappointed again I have chosen to believe hes not coming. If you do than that's fine. I'll even admit that it's a better attitude then I have. I just dont want to be disappointed again like I have been for over a year with every single reveal since byleth.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Though, Geno's popularity was at it's lowest during Smash 4 at the most critical peroid as that is when he needed the fans the most with the Snash Ballot. Geno really wasn't that big during Smash 4 but was really popular in Brawl and regained his popularity twice over in Ultimate.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Though, Geno's popularity was at it's lowest during Smash 4 at the most critical peroid as that is when he needed the fans the most with the Snash Ballot. Geno really wasn't that big during Smash 4 but was really popular in Brawl and regained his popularity twice over in Ultimate.
Provided that his popularity does go down again next game, how many people do you think would still care for Geno if he gets in, aside from the fans? Just curious.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Provided that his popularity does go down again next game, how many people do you think would still care for Geno if he gets in, aside from the fans? Just curious.
If we get no SMRPG remake or sequel by Square-Enix before the next Smash, I'm afraid Geno's popularity will greatly decline. SMRPG is already over 25 years old and most of the people that grew up with it will be in their 40s by the next Smash.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If we get no SMRPG remake or sequel by Square-Enix before the next Smash, I'm afraid Geno's popularity will greatly decline. SMRPG is already over 25 years old and most of the people that grew up with it will be in their 40s by the next Smash.
Yeah, quite sad, isn't it? We really need a Super Mario RPG remake.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A sequel would be even better, in my opinion. I would be totally fine with that.
And it's rumored that Smithy might still be alive:

Smithy trying to get his revenge in a more ruthless behavior from the last game would be pretty epic. Smithy was already scary before, but him going all Gruntilda from Banjo-Tooie on the SMRPG party would be quite the show.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And it's rumored that Smithy might still be alive:

Smithy trying to get his revenge in a more ruthless behavior from the last game would be pretty epic. Smithy was already scary before, but him going all Gruntilda from Banjo-Tooie on the SMRPG party would be quite the show.
No kidding! I liked how he kinda looked like Santa Claus, but he looked more threatening in his true form. I would absolutely love to see where they would take him next if he were to appear again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No kidding! I liked how he kinda looked like Santa Claus, but he looked more threatening in his true form. I would absolutely love to see where they would take him next if he were to appear again.
Like, imagine if Smithy was just a minion of some higher evil within the multiverse? That would be insane if a more powerful foe exists.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Like, imagine if Smithy was just a minion of some higher evil within the multiverse? That would be insane if a more powerful foe exists.
Ooooh, I wonder how Mario and his crew, let alone someone who serves a higher authority, would handle that? They might have to bring the higher authority Geno servers into this!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Whether or not it is Rosalina, let's just hope this higher authority doesn't become more popular than Geno himself.
Still, I would like to see this "Higher Authority". Perhaps Geno could be given extra power from the Higher Authority and his comrades like a Spirit Bomb boost to take out this greater evil who is Smithy's master. That would be epic.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, I would like to see this "Higher Authority". Perhaps Geno could be given extra power from the Higher Authority and his comrades like a Spirit Bomb boost to take out this greater evil who is Smithy's master. That would be epic.
No kidding about that! Plus, there is plenty of stuff maybe alongside Smithy and Geno that they could explore.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
No kidding about that! Plus, there is plenty of stuff maybe alongside Smithy and Geno that they could explore.
i would say Culex too he mentioned that he is from alternate dimension of Vanda
Geno and Smithy and Culex are the same in terms of living in an unreachable location that has not been explored much

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I would love to see more of Boshi as well. I always wondered if Boshi ever hung out with Wario or Waluigi.
Waluigi and Boshi both suffer from Nintendo not being able to use them properly
They can’t ever bring Waluigi to a wario game and Yoshi games can’t be given a rival or anti hero as Boshi
So much things could be more interesting if they used them properly
I find it sad that only the fans do the job and Nintendo just doesn’t think for a second that Waluigi and Boshi would be good ideas to introduce in wario games and yoshi game for once at least.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
i never see sora as someone who has to compete with Geno he is more of disney situation rather than square-enix i would say a taito rep would compete with Geno for another square-enix rep
It's less about Disney since it's mostly the hardasses at Disney Japan that need to be won over, but it's more about the fact that putting in Sora over Geno would please more fans overall. That was the argument I was making, that Sora is a much more requested character over all audiences than Geno is, and thus you could pull another Cloud, Steve or Sephiroth and pick him over Geno and break the internet. I'm VERY confident that Sora would make around the same amount of money as Steve while Geno would not.

Let us not forget that Steve both made crazy DLC money AND boosted sales of Ultimate back to around launch numbers. I'm certain Sora would give similar results.

I dont want to come off like I have no hope for geno at all because I still do. I have simply chosen to believe that his costume is a strong sign that he isnt coming to smash. You have no idea how much I'd love to be wrong on that but it is what I choose to believe. My reasoning being because I am sick and tired of being disappointed. Ever since byleth the new characters and my excitement for the game has gone completely down hill. So much so that I dont even know if I will be that excited when a new smash reveal gets announced. I see how much ultimate has given us and yes its fantastic how many characters have gotten in that the community actively asked for. The only way I'd become even semi confident in genos chances would be the announcement of a third pass or some sort of bonus character.

On the topic of square themselves I'm definetly pessimistic. I know there arent alot of characters that can stand in genos way BUT I'm also a strong believer that since geno isnt actually apart of any of squares properties and wouldnt be a direct advertisement for any of their games like hero (DQ 11) and sephiroth (FF7 Remake) that they would chose to say f the fan demand and say a costume is what you get. IF the rumors of the smrpg remake are true AND it gets announced before smash dlc ends then my faith in geno will be somewhat restored.

I've wanted geno in smash for almost a decade now and I've still got some hope. But the farther we get Into the dlc the more that hope dwindles. I know you think he still has a decent chance and I commemorate you for that. I'm still very upset about the circumstances involving his mii costume and everything that went on around those times. Seeing his mii costume come back genuinely made me sick to my stomach.

Once again I would love if he ended up getting in BUT to keep myself from ever being that disappointed again I have chosen to believe hes not coming. If you do than that's fine. I'll even admit that it's a better attitude then I have. I just dont want to be disappointed again like I have been for over a year with every single reveal since byleth.
First off, I would like you to consider that you are taking a rather pessimistic approach to this, and I'm coming from a newer approach in my life which is to be optimistic and positive in all things in my life, regardless of circumstances. I'm doing this because a friend of mine has had a pretty great life and has his life all put together and rarely does anything bad happen to him, and he chalks it up to the Law of Attraction and being more positive, however in my personal life I'm rather negative about myself and my goals and desires because bad things tend to happen to me. Every since I started forcing myself to look at things more positively in my personal life, I've noticed many improvements over all in many different areas, and I do believe that if you convince yourself something bad will happen that you make such events more likely to happen as well as tend to make more choices that allow them to happen since you are convinced they will happen anyway.

However there are things that are more set in stone, such as business decisions in which the Law of Attraction I don't think applies since it's more of a personal thing, so no I'm not suggesting that any one person's pessimism is stopping Geno from getting in. However, I think if you approach things from a more positive light it will be healthier for in general. This goes back to the stupid PushDustIn PushDustIn hype responsibly thing: instead of curbing your excited, allow yourself to appreciate more things and be happy or excited about them, and if what you wanted didn't happen don't take it so personally because not only is it likely to happen later on but Nintendo is a big company with many fan bases to tend to so it may take some time.

As for Square I fail to see the reasoning here: they have done nothing but cater to fans since essentially the Switch's launch, and not even just with Nintendo fans. Not every character or every decision needs to make massive amounts of money, as some of them need to build good PR with your customers, and Geno is exactly that for Smash. Also, Geno doesn't need a SMRPG revival to get in, however I will stress that the rumors around SMRPG are very credible ones, though I can't say any more than that unfortunately, though I will say you should keep in mind events that happened in 2018. Remember that Banjo & Kazooie still doesn't have a remake or re-release in such a long time, yet the bear and bird are here.

Just so you know, I've been off-and-on wanting just flat out more SMRPG recognition since I played the game in 96. I've wanted Geno in Smash since the game got it's first installment on 64, although it would take a fresh reminder in 2005 to get out of my Pokemon haze. Many other Geno fans have been waiting a VERY long time, and we've had lots of ups and downs. Frankly, one of our strongest moments was how hard we fought and how positive we were to get enough requests in the ballot for Sakurai to mention we still want him by a decent margin, for us to even GET that interview and that costume. Our weakest moment is right now, being bullied and convinced that his chances are over over a single reused asset. Just remember that people in the general thread will even admit to Mii Costumes not deconfirming, but in the same post say Geno is still out, despite just saying that the only thing holding him back doesn't count.

We live in a community in which their failure to relate to our hype causes them to hate more than to come to an understanding, because they see how far we've come and how close we are and that means Geno is a character that is a threat to their most wanted in their eyes. To them, some dumb puppet from a dead game series that some boomer gamers fawn over has more of a chance than a number of characters that by all rights and accounts he just flat out shouldn't...but he does.

He does, and it's because of all of us fans making our wishes known for so long.

But if we give up at any point and we all just collapse like we are very close to doing, that could very easily ruin everything.

Geno doesn't have mainstream desire.

Geno doesn't have major profit.

Geno doesn't even have strong iconic appeal in comparison to other characters.

All he has is us.

They way I see it is, I feel like Samwise Gamgee when I see my fellow Geno fans being like Frodo Baggins. We've already crossed through so many obstacles, and by all rights we and Geno shouldn't even be here competing to get into Smash with names like Sephiroth and Joker and Steve and Hero. But then I look at all the older stories, the stories of Little Mac, of Pit, of Ridley and King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. They didn't get in because they gave up and went home, because they decided it wasn't possible and that they would rather quietly wait in the shadows with predetermined disappointment. No, they kept spamming on social media and making videos and leaving comments and circulating talk about their characters even far beyond past the point where people wanted them to sit down and shut up! To them, seeing their character get in was a life goal, a sign of accomplishment and recognition, and chance for what they once and still loved to once again shine on in the future forever known as being in the Smash Video Game Hall Of Fame.

Do we want to join them or don't we?

You may think that your disbelief or your attempt to ward of minor disappointment does nothing, but I see the effects of it everywhere. The admins on this site got rid of someone who kept us talking and inspired, regardless of how or why or what happened next and they killed off the hype of our movement on this site as well. This rippled with the costume reveal, and now Geno fans on social media have given up, many going as far as to insult those who still hold fast to their dreams and also encourage them to quit. If you sink into this level of apathy or despair then you will inevitably spread such emotions and ideas to other Geno fans who may just be barely holding onto a thread of hope, cutting them down and now they too wallow in being self-convinced of impossibility. Eventually, the fan base dwindles until it's a mere fraction of what it was, and if it does so happen that Geno doesn't get in Ultimate then the push behind him for the next Smash will be so weak it may never be realized ever.

Geno doesn't need a new game.

Geno doesn't need mainstream appeal.

He doesn't need to suddenly be a major profit.

He needs us to not give up.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Never played RPG, but Geno's design is cool, and he seems like a pretty cool character. It'd be cool if he could return in future Mario games, but I guess being owned by SQUARE prevents that sadly. Him being in Smash Bros. would also be cool, but I sorta doubt it with his Mii unfortunately.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
The fact it is not on NSO is absolutely baffling... just further reinforces the point that Mario RPG is doomed to forever live in some popular/unpopular niche cult space.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact it is not on NSO is absolutely baffling... just further reinforces the point that Mario RPG is doomed to forever live in some popular/unpopular niche cult space.
Maybe, maybe not. There is still a slim possibility they could announce a SMRPG remake or sequel this year since this year is SMRPG's 25th anniversary.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
It's less about Disney since it's mostly the hardasses at Disney Japan that need to be won over, but it's more about the fact that putting in Sora over Geno would please more fans overall. That was the argument I was making, that Sora is a much more requested character over all audiences than Geno is, and thus you could pull another Cloud, Steve or Sephiroth and pick him over Geno and break the internet. I'm VERY confident that Sora would make around the same amount of money as Steve while Geno would not.

Let us not forget that Steve both made crazy DLC money AND boosted sales of Ultimate back to around launch numbers. I'm certain Sora would give similar results.

First off, I would like you to consider that you are taking a rather pessimistic approach to this, and I'm coming from a newer approach in my life which is to be optimistic and positive in all things in my life, regardless of circumstances. I'm doing this because a friend of mine has had a pretty great life and has his life all put together and rarely does anything bad happen to him, and he chalks it up to the Law of Attraction and being more positive, however in my personal life I'm rather negative about myself and my goals and desires because bad things tend to happen to me. Every since I started forcing myself to look at things more positively in my personal life, I've noticed many improvements over all in many different areas, and I do believe that if you convince yourself something bad will happen that you make such events more likely to happen as well as tend to make more choices that allow them to happen since you are convinced they will happen anyway.

However there are things that are more set in stone, such as business decisions in which the Law of Attraction I don't think applies since it's more of a personal thing, so no I'm not suggesting that any one person's pessimism is stopping Geno from getting in. However, I think if you approach things from a more positive light it will be healthier for in general. This goes back to the stupid PushDustIn PushDustIn hype responsibly thing: instead of curbing your excited, allow yourself to appreciate more things and be happy or excited about them, and if what you wanted didn't happen don't take it so personally because not only is it likely to happen later on but Nintendo is a big company with many fan bases to tend to so it may take some time.

As for Square I fail to see the reasoning here: they have done nothing but cater to fans since essentially the Switch's launch, and not even just with Nintendo fans. Not every character or every decision needs to make massive amounts of money, as some of them need to build good PR with your customers, and Geno is exactly that for Smash. Also, Geno doesn't need a SMRPG revival to get in, however I will stress that the rumors around SMRPG are very credible ones, though I can't say any more than that unfortunately, though I will say you should keep in mind events that happened in 2018. Remember that Banjo & Kazooie still doesn't have a remake or re-release in such a long time, yet the bear and bird are here.

Just so you know, I've been off-and-on wanting just flat out more SMRPG recognition since I played the game in 96. I've wanted Geno in Smash since the game got it's first installment on 64, although it would take a fresh reminder in 2005 to get out of my Pokemon haze. Many other Geno fans have been waiting a VERY long time, and we've had lots of ups and downs. Frankly, one of our strongest moments was how hard we fought and how positive we were to get enough requests in the ballot for Sakurai to mention we still want him by a decent margin, for us to even GET that interview and that costume. Our weakest moment is right now, being bullied and convinced that his chances are over over a single reused asset. Just remember that people in the general thread will even admit to Mii Costumes not deconfirming, but in the same post say Geno is still out, despite just saying that the only thing holding him back doesn't count.

We live in a community in which their failure to relate to our hype causes them to hate more than to come to an understanding, because they see how far we've come and how close we are and that means Geno is a character that is a threat to their most wanted in their eyes. To them, some dumb puppet from a dead game series that some boomer gamers fawn over has more of a chance than a number of characters that by all rights and accounts he just flat out shouldn't...but he does.

He does, and it's because of all of us fans making our wishes known for so long.

But if we give up at any point and we all just collapse like we are very close to doing, that could very easily ruin everything.

Geno doesn't have mainstream desire.

Geno doesn't have major profit.

Geno doesn't even have strong iconic appeal in comparison to other characters.

All he has is us.

They way I see it is, I feel like Samwise Gamgee when I see my fellow Geno fans being like Frodo Baggins. We've already crossed through so many obstacles, and by all rights we and Geno shouldn't even be here competing to get into Smash with names like Sephiroth and Joker and Steve and Hero. But then I look at all the older stories, the stories of Little Mac, of Pit, of Ridley and King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. They didn't get in because they gave up and went home, because they decided it wasn't possible and that they would rather quietly wait in the shadows with predetermined disappointment. No, they kept spamming on social media and making videos and leaving comments and circulating talk about their characters even far beyond past the point where people wanted them to sit down and shut up! To them, seeing their character get in was a life goal, a sign of accomplishment and recognition, and chance for what they once and still loved to once again shine on in the future forever known as being in the Smash Video Game Hall Of Fame.

Do we want to join them or don't we?

You may think that your disbelief or your attempt to ward of minor disappointment does nothing, but I see the effects of it everywhere. The admins on this site got rid of someone who kept us talking and inspired, regardless of how or why or what happened next and they killed off the hype of our movement on this site as well. This rippled with the costume reveal, and now Geno fans on social media have given up, many going as far as to insult those who still hold fast to their dreams and also encourage them to quit. If you sink into this level of apathy or despair then you will inevitably spread such emotions and ideas to other Geno fans who may just be barely holding onto a thread of hope, cutting them down and now they too wallow in being self-convinced of impossibility. Eventually, the fan base dwindles until it's a mere fraction of what it was, and if it does so happen that Geno doesn't get in Ultimate then the push behind him for the next Smash will be so weak it may never be realized ever.

Geno doesn't need a new game.

Geno doesn't need mainstream appeal.

He doesn't need to suddenly be a major profit.

He needs us to not give up.
I see what your saying and can see where your coming from. Maybe I have approached genos situation too harshly. I will try to be a little more positive about his inclusion. HOWEVER if he by some chance doesn't make it into ultimate then I will take that as a sign that square really doesn't care about us or him and has no plans to ever add him to smash. If he cant get in now I'm afraid that we've pretty much lost. I will try to be more positive but you also have to see why in these times it would be a little harder to believe in his inclusion.

Top Bottom