• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
"TWEETING ABOUT GENO WHILE FACE TIMING BOWYER AT 3AM ON CHRISTMAS EVE! GONE WRONG! REAL! NOT CLICKBAIT!"
PLAYING SUPER MARIO RPG AT 3 AM, GENO VISITS OUR HOUSE!? CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE

This is a fun thread. I like this thread. I like this fanbase. Let's do this forever! :troll:
I'm not going anywhere so don't worry 'bout it :troll:

"Superstar with lots of wood makes big 3 star release on hammering burly bearded man."
Omfg

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Curious stuff Imran just dropped about Ultimate, this in reply to a 4chan leak that says the next characters are Tails, Raiden and Crash (the leak its fake):
  • Sephiroth is cheaper than he usually is as a recommendation from SE, but not because of Hero
  • Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through, but Byleth was supposed to be in the main roster and were moved to DLC well before the game came out, they weren't a late replacement. 3 Houses was meant to release before Ultimate (this last thing is correct as we know that originally FE 3H was going to be released at 2018).
  • Min Min was indeed partly because it's easier to get Nintendo characters

btw, its amazing how much Imran knows about ultimate development, its as almost he works inside Bandai-Namco.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I agree. That one 5chan post made sense of a lot of things especially "third parties don't want their characters to be just Smash characters." We've been asking ourselves since last spring when the SMRPG remake/remaster/rumor was still a Star Road secret if Square would hold off on Geno until the announcement of that and that post reminded me of those conversations. The answer is "Mmmmm, yeah..." If Hero was theoretically withheld from the base game to be released closer to the release of DQ XI S, I can definitely entertain Geno being withheld but the Mii costume being released just for the sake of completion/profit. Also, a thought that kind of made me grimace at work today: releasing the Geno Mii with an actual Geno would be kind of a dumb idea. If you wanted to get maximum profit from the Mii costume, release it first because most of fanbase would feel compelled to buy it because they want a consolation prize. Release them together and a vast majority of people are just going to skip out on it.

(@Serenade01 screaming from the distance: "I'VE BEEN ARGUING THIS FOR MONTHS, YOU TWO TON ****!")

Of course, the rub is whether the SMRPG remake/remaster/sequel is real or not. If it yes, yeah... I could totally see Square and Nintendo pulling an Isabelle/Hero to promote it.
The point of releasing the costume before the character has also been brought up by OffBi OffBi on Discord and it does make some sense, why would you ever buy the costume when there’s a shiny new Geno right next to it on the shelf?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Curious stuff Imran just dropped about Ultimate, this in reply to a 4chan leak that says the next characters are Tails, Raiden and Crash (the leak its fake):
  • Sephiroth is cheaper than he usually is as a recommendation from SE, but not because of Hero
  • Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through, but Byleth was supposed to be in the main roster and were moved to DLC well before the game came out, they weren't a late replacement. 3 Houses was meant to release before Ultimate (this last thing is correct as we know that originally FE 3H was going to be released at 2018).
  • Min Min was indeed partly because it's easier to get Nintendo characters

btw, its amazing how much Imran knows about ultimate development, its as almost he works inside Bandai-Namco.
I'm not seeing it on his Twitter; did he post it on Resetera?

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
"Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through."

This is 5,000% Monster Hunter. There's no way in hell it isn't and explains why he hard slammed Monster Hunter coming to Smash in September.

Interesting that, if it is Monster Hunter, plans fell through with Capcom out of all companies, that'll make 3 Capcom reps highly discussed but probably dropped.
-Jill/Leon
-Monster Hunter
-Dante

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Interesting that, if it is Monster Hunter, plans fell through with Capcom out of all companies, that'll make 3 Capcom reps highly discussed but probably dropped.
-Jill/Leon
-Monster Hunter
-Dante
When did they say they probably dropped Dante, did I miss something?

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
"Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through."

This is 5,000% Monster Hunter. There's no way in hell it isn't and explains why he hard slammed Monster Hunter coming to Smash in September.

So here’s the question

What did Capcom do to **** things up for one of their biggest franchises?

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336

OH DAMN I actually thought we were getting a Monster Hunter Rep

Theguy123

Smash Lord

i don’t think it’s monster Hunter. Reading the replies and his replies to comments asking if he knows who the character is he says he knows but doesn’t feel comfortable saying who and then says capcom doesn’t like having monster Hunter characters playable in other games.

From the sounds of it, to me it sounded like he was saying it wasn’t monster Hunter. Anyone’s guess I guess. If it is monster Hunter and talks did break down I’d find it weird that they’d hold talks to add a monster Hunter rep when they hate adding in monster Hunter characters to other games.

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
Just a quick question about the Imran topic. In the first bullet point, what does Imran mean by saying Sephiroth "is cheaper than he usually is"? Like, moveset wise or money wise? I'd find it really strange if it's the latter because we all know that Square Enix does the Square Enix.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just a quick question about the Imran topic. In the first bullet point, what does Imran mean by saying Sephiroth "is cheaper than he usually is"? Like, moveset wise or money wise? I'd find it really strange if it's the latter because we all know that Square Enix does the Square Enix.
I'm assuming cost. Might have been part of a "sweetheart" deal of some kind that we haven't seen yet either in or outside of Smash.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Money wise, this corroborates what Max said a few days before that normally, Cloud and Sephiroth would be very very expensive but thanks to Sakurai’s reputation and Nintendo negotiations, they could get both of them (+ other FFVII content) for an affordable price.

BTW, Imran doesn’t know is MH character is in or not, he don’t think so but there is still a possibility.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well, you KINDA forgot about Fighting EX Layer, which is all about specifically the unique characters owned by that company from the SFEX series, in which Skullomania was a huge reveal at EVO.

So, if Geno was JUST like Skullomania, it would be more like Geno getting in an RPG made by Square that focuses on just the OG SMRPG characters but in a totally different setting and with some brand new mechanics mixed with very familiar ones, and THEN Geno's costume coming to Smash...

Although a better comparison would be a Geno outfit in Mario Odyssey or a cameo in Origami King, but I digress.

This isn't a perfect 1:1 scenario.
I was specifically talking about mainline SF games. Which I said. My point was about Skullo and Geno showing up in the series they were created for which they haven’t and their most recent appearances crossing over to the companies they share rights with were as costumes. I don’t see the point of being pedantic about it lol.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
View attachment 296719
I think this is Imran implying No Capcom rep, but I don't know.
Hmm... if there won't be a Capcom rep among the last three (which imo, would have been Dante) then... could the "substitute" be Ryu Hayabusa (Koei Tecmo)? 🤔 Dunno, there's not enough evidence imo.

In regards to the Geno Mii Costume, March 2021 being SMRPG's 25th Anniversary, a possible SMRPG remake or sequel and what could perhaps be a skillfully timed dual announcement of a game and Geno for Smash, all I can say is that "timing is everything". If the remake/sequel happens, then chances of Geno joining Smash would go up I'd say near certain inclusion. The game would become readily available on the Switch, and people could check out what all of the Geno buzz is about and be introduced to the MAJESTY which is SMRPG; the forefather of the Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That could imply that he KNOWS there is a Capcom rep. It’s a common turn of phrase, “think? No, I KNOW”
Not like he could outright say anyways without Nintendo going full blown botworm on him.

I do think he is hard implying Monster Hunter fell through because the amount of Monster Hunter content in the base game makes so much more sense with this context:

-Managed to negotiate everything (Assist Trophy/music/map/boss/stage) except a character.

-Scrapped Monster Hunter gets made into another weapon tactician that coincidentally has access to a sword, long bow, and axe: Byleth.

-Byleth would have been in the base game if Three Houses wasn't delayed.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I always hated this account’s corny memes and idiotic takes but some of the stuff on this thread is just flat out bullcrap, specially the part where this idiot says Geno is nowhere near as big as Ridley, Banjo and their precious K. Rool when it comes to extremely requested characters.
Unpopular opinion incoming, but he's right.
As someone who was kampaigning for K. Rool way before the ballot took place, Geno and K. Rool aren't comparable outside of being neglected in Smash and their home series and the latter was only true for two games. King K. Rool appeared once, and then again, and then again until he was seen as the de-facto villain for Donkey Kong. He's had multiple appearances as the final boss, while Geno only had one major appearance and a cameo until a decade and change later where he appeared...as a cameo once more. It also helps that Rare relinquished the rights to all of their DK material after they left Microsoft whereas Squaresoft at the time held on to all the SMRPG elements. That was the damning moment for Geno.

Again, you may not like what he said, but it's true - a harsh pill to swallow as someone who did want Geno in as a playable fighter. Geno's resurgence of support happened after the costume appeared, a month after the ballot closed. K. Rool was getting a push from not being in Returns and being absent from Tropical Freeze along with DK not having a newcomer in Smash For. The momentum from those three events were great enough that the ballot appearing right at the height of newcomer speculation for Smash For's DLC was a golden opportunity. Mario wasn't particularly lacking in material, but Donkey Kong being that oddball made K. Rool's resurgence that much more of an impact.

Once more, it helps that K. Rool isn't owned by another company, so it's easier to use him for the next game to generate interest/customers. Even PushDustin's stance on DLC is right to an extent; Sephiroth would sell more than Geno. Banjo-Kazooie being a pipe dream since Melee also applies; former Nintendo alumni reuniting with their old friends is a surefire way to sell DLC. I still support Geno in Smash, but Kremling Kampaigner isn't wrong with his statement, and a lot of Geno's (And SMRPG's elements in general) hurdles that keep him from returning play a part as well.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not like he could outright say anyways without Nintendo going full blown botworm on him.

I do think he is hard implying Monster Hunter fell through because the amount of Monster Hunter content in the base game makes so much more sense with this context:

-Managed to negotiate everything (Assist Trophy/music/map/boss/stage) except a character.

-Scrapped Monster Hunter gets made into another weapon tactician that coincidentally has access to a sword, long bow, and axe: Byleth.

-Byleth would have been in the base game if Three Houses wasn't delayed.
So, if we take Imran at his word and assume Capcom isn't getting a new rep, the current lineup would point towards Koei Tecmo, Bandai Namco, and Activision then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom