• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The only reason I'm entertaining this is because A LOT of people would have had to have been wrong about A LOT of things over two years if Geno is totally KO'd on Thursday. This isn't a "Fatman, take your lithium, you yutz" sort of thing, this is a "every single person that has insider connections that I have seriously talked to about this topic in the last 25 months was ultimately wrong" sort of thing. If Nintendo managed to fool insiders literally around the world on this one thing for two years, salt aside, that's pretty impressive.
Is this if the costume returns or are you talking about the chances beforehand? If the former, id argue that it would be weird to do so just for the sake of a joke but i assume you mean the latter

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The only reason I'm entertaining this is because A LOT of people would have had to have been wrong about A LOT of things over two years if Geno is totally KO'd on Thursday. This isn't a "Fatman, take your lithium, you yutz" sort of thing, this is a "every single person that has insider connections that I have seriously talked to about this topic in the last 25 months was ultimately wrong" sort of thing. If Nintendo managed to fool insiders literally around the world on this one thing for two years, salt aside, that's pretty impressive.
Are of the names you mentioned here this ubiquitous or is this just a Geno thing?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
wait Waluigi rumors have been gaining ground? Since you mentioned Hayabusa and Crash, I have a question for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Nekoo Nekoo and @Nazyrus. Have any of your sources said anything about these 2 in particular. To me, them and Geno seem the most likely to be in the pass, as most of the other rumors(Minus LLoyd) have happened or were deconfirmed.
I don’t follow Crash a lot but I know a big reason for Hayabusa seeming so likely was because of the sequence of events following Iamshifty and that other guy, can’t recall his name, and then Vergeben confirming that Nintendo and KT did indeed have talks about Smash and that “considering their relationship it’s unlikely they fell through” so that’s pretty good for KT but that could also mean a Nioh character, an Atelier character, or a Warriors character. It’s just that Hayabusa is the front runner and poster boy for KT.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are of the names you mentioned here this ubiquitous or is this just a Geno thing?
Specifically on the topic of Geno. For example, MCG correctly knowing Banjo's costumes, Terry's spirits, and Byleth's ALTs but ultimately being wrong about the Mallow and Smithy hats would be pretty wild. As far as I know there's nobody that specifically talks to just me either so this would be an L for a very wide network because this isn't stuff from one guy or being told to one person. It's a network of people whose information checks out with other people in the network.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This place is a nuclear fallout
Fixed it and that’s why I respect this place so much. We’re all the good kind of crazy in here.

Specifically on the topic of Geno. For example, MCG correctly knowing Banjo's costumes, Terry's spirits, and Byleth's ALTs but ultimately being wrong about the Mallow and Smithy hats would be pretty wild. As far as I know there's nobody that specifically talks to just me either so this would be an L for a very wide network because this isn't stuff from one guy or being told to one person. It's a network of people whose information checks out with other people in the network.
That also explains that Cruel Summer where every Twitter-insider worth their salt started Genoposting in some way. Haven’t seen that for other characters nearly as much.

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
If he's revealed as a costume on Thursday, he 100% has to be a lock for the next game or a future Fighter's Pass 3
Unfortunately he won't, if Geno is a costume next Thursday it is the harsh proof that Nintendo/Square Enix don't give a **** to Geno and his fans.

If it was up to Sakurai Geno would be playable since Smash Brawl, but very unfortunately this is up to Nintendo/Square Enix, and they are greedy...

D

Deleted member

That would be very crazy and unfortunate if the Mallow and Smithy were wrong if this was from a whole network of people. That may mean Nintendo stepped up their game spreading misinformation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
wait Waluigi rumors have been gaining ground? Since you mentioned Hayabusa and Crash, I have a question for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Nekoo Nekoo and @Nazyrus. Have any of your sources said anything about these 2 in particular. To me, them and Geno seem the most likely to be in the pass, as most of the other rumors(Minus LLoyd) have happened or were deconfirmed.
The mods and some of the regulars of this thread get annoyed when I talk about non Geno/Square characters so I'll keep it brief. If you have more questions, just reach out to me on my wall or on Discord:

Waluigi and Ryu are similar stories: been heard by a good number of people since late 2018 and a few people have arguably gotten in legal trouble over them. I was personally told by one of my guys to not take Ryu seriously last December but recent evidence makes me disregard that.

Crash had a 5 year plan document originally leaked in 2017 and supposedly leaked again in the summer of 2019. Outlined the major plans for the series for 2017-2022. Smash was supposedly part of this document along with all the games that have come out since the Nsane Trilogy.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
The mods and some of the regulars of this thread get annoyed when I talk about non Geno/Square characters so I'll keep it brief. If you have more questions, just reach out to me on my wall or on Discord:

Waluigi and Ryu are similar stories: been heard by a good number of people since late 2018 and a few people have arguably gotten in legal trouble over them. I was personally told by one of my guys to not take Ryu seriously last December but recent evidence makes me disregard that.

Crash had a 5 year plan document originally leaked in 2017 and supposedly leaked again in the summer of 2019. Outlined the major plans for the series for 2017-2022. Smash was supposedly part of this document along with all the games that have come out since the Nsane Trilogy.
Oh I didn't know all that about Crash that's pretty wild. That's pretty good news though maybe I actually will get a character I care about then.

Also, good to hear you confirm again that there are many sources and conversations feeding into the overall picture of which characters seem likely. Not that I feel we should rely very much on insiders for information but we haven't really been able to rely on Nintendo for much so it's something to consider at least.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
This is doomer talk and makes no sense. Crono has basically no demand and no future, not even compatible to Geno who has a future with the renewed partnership of Nintendo and Square and has massive demand.
This didn't stop ROB, G&W, Palutena, Rosalina, Joker, Hat Ken, anything Star Fox, Captain Falcon, K. Rool, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Dog, Ice Climbers, Pit, Dark Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, or Lil Mac from getting in.

And Crono shouldn't get in anyways, this game has enough boring sword characters that have a generic swordsman moveset. And IMO Crono should have been added INSTEAD of another FF7 character.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I really hope geno doesnt miss this mii pack, only to become a mii in fighters pass 3 and crono gets in. That would be extremely cruel and if geno needs to get deconfirmed; just do it now
I would be less disappointed if Geno is deconfirmed in a Crono presentation than Sephiroth presentation knowing that Crono finally gets revived from the dead and was able to bring Geno with him
In some way both Crono and Geno are stuck in the square-enix jail for ages and the company don’t know what they should do with them yet both their fans still have waited for so long to have any sign of them being revived

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
This didn't stop ROB, G&W, Palutena, Rosalina, Joker, Hat Ken, anything Star Fox, Captain Falcon, K. Rool, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Dog, Ice Climbers, Pit, Dark Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, or Lil Mac from getting in.
Just wanted to point out that a few of your examples don't technically apply here:

-Rosalina definitely has a future with the Mario spinoffs at minimum
-Hat Ken is an evergreen character since his franchises are ongoing
-I sincerely hope the Star Fox characters have a future since their franchise isn't technically dead yet
-K Rool may get revived in future DKC installments

....my two cents.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh I didn't know all that about Crash that's pretty wild. That's pretty good news though maybe I actually will get a character I care about then.

Also, good to hear you confirm again that there are many sources and conversations feeding into the overall picture of which characters seem likely. Not that I feel we should rely very much on insiders for information but we haven't really been able to rely on Nintendo for much so it's something to consider at least.
And that's just it. If it was just me saying Geno, the collective internet coming together like the Whos in Whoville at the end of How the Grinch Stole Christmas to tell me to **** off would be wholly justified but it's not. Geno and the SMRPG remake/remaster/sequel have been heard by a very wide number of prominent people in the speculation community. Me being wrong is one thing but someone like Jeff Grubb or Rogersbase or Andre Seger or Imran Khan is totally another. Me derping on my phone during my day job and being wrong is one thing but people who literally do this sort of thing for a living and being totally wrong is another.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just wanted to point out that a few of your examples don't technically apply here:

-Rosalina definitely has a future with the Mario spinoffs at minimum
-Hat Ken is an evergreen character since his franchises are ongoing
-I sincerely hope the Star Fox characters have a future since their franchise isn't technically dead yet
-K Rool may get revived in future DKC installments

....my two cents.
Adding to the Rosalina point. She almost appeared in the last major mainline Mario game but was cut. Nintendo DEFINITELY has interest in keeping Rosalina around even in cameos/small parts in mainline Mario games as well.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Adding to the Rosalina point. She almost appeared in the last major mainline Mario game but was cut. Nintendo DEFINITELY has interest in keeping Rosalina around even in cameos/small parts in mainline Mario games as well.
Sadly I feel Nintendo misrepresented Rosalina over the years compared to what she was in Mario galaxy completely ruining the purpose of her

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
I would be less disappointed if Geno is deconfirmed in a Crono presentation than Sephiroth presentation knowing that Crono finally gets revived from the dead and was able to bring Geno with him
In some way both Crono and Geno are stuck in the square-enix jail for ages and the company don’t know what they should do with them yet both their fans still have waited for so long to have any sign of them being revived
i respect your opinion but i just cant agree.
i dont have any attachment to crono trigger or crono cross. I want geno because i love his fun cartoony design, and i am a decent fan of super mariorpg

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
And that's just it. If it was just me saying Geno, the collective internet coming together like the Whos in Whoville at the end of How the Grinch Stole Christmas to tell me to **** off would be wholly justified but it's not. Geno and the SMRPG remake/remaster/sequel have been heard by a very wide number of prominent people in the speculation community. Me being wrong is one thing but someone like Jeff Grubb or Rogersbase or Andre Seger or Imran Khan is totally another. Me derping on my phone during my day job and being wrong is one thing but people who literally do this sort of thing for a living and being totally wrong is another.
Wait, am I misunderstanding or are you saying that Jeff Grub and Imran Khan have heard something about a SMRPG Remaquel?

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
I really hope geno doesnt miss this mii pack, only to become a mii in fighters pass 3 and crono gets in. That would be extremely cruel and if geno needs to get deconfirmed; just do it now
Not adding Geno as a mii costume with Hero 1 year and a half ago is already extremely cruel of Nintendo/Square Enix's part.

I don't think people are really understanding the gravity of the situation right now.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Not adding Geno as a mii costume with Hero 1 year and a half ago is already extremely cruel of Nintendo/Square Enix's part.

I don't think people are really understanding the gravity of the situation right now.
I fully agree

but the scary part is that it can get even more cruel
might as well just put geno down now than wait another year and kill him in a crono pack

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They were all "randomly" Geno/SMRPG posting around the same time this past summer.
To add to this, Jeff Grubb was posting SMRPG stuff on a near weekly basis from April until the Mario Direct and regularly pointing out that SMRPG wasn't on the NSO.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Man I missed some fun speculation while I was working. Also Nekoo Nekoo !!! Good to see you!

So one of the things that has been bothering me was the 7 Squares Leak ever since Sephiroth got revealed. Obviously, these names have been heard for years and I am curious if these names were not just for a fighter, but for other assets for Ultimate?

Example: Luminary, Erdrick and Slime are in Smash. L & E being a fighter and slime in their taunt as well as a Mii Hat (English mention of Erdirck as a Mii Costume lol). Going by this, could Sephiroth have Geno and Crono in his Mii Round? Going off of Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's assertion of "not sweating over the costume returning" What are the odds that Geno or Crono could be a fighter as well? I am leaving out Sora for this, since the majority of insiders/people with knowledge are saying "Not this time"

Sephiroth is more than likely going to be focused on Final Fantasy 7 content. So lets say Geno is a fighter that has Crono as a Mii Costume later down the line or vice versa. There is a little coincidence if we put these 'fighters' side by side

Hero - focuses on the Enix side
Sephiroth - focuses on the Square side
Geno/Crono focuses on the Nintendo (SNES) side

Just something I noticed. Means absolutely nothing, but in the off chance Geno or Crono are not apart of Sephiroth's costume wave...this could be the route later down the line.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i respect your opinion but i just cant agree.
i dont have any attachment to crono trigger or crono cross. I want geno because i love his fun cartoony design, and i am a decent fan of super mariorpg
I don’t have attachment too but looking a bit about his history I see it more welcoming and recognize that both Crono and Geno fans have faced similar things throughout history so much rejection from square-enix

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Where were all these SMRPG remake rumours coming from? Im 90% sure it must be a bunch of one shot leakers as if it was someone like Grubb outright saying it unless it would probably be all over the place. I know RogersBase said stuff but he really shouldn't be taken too seriously as much as ive seen people do so. Yeah he's a notable YouTuber but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the new Vergeben. These SMRPG rumours are really too good to be true and feel its way too apparent that Geno's only hance of an actual new appearance is Smash and maybe SMRPG on NSO

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm of the camp that if Geno gets revealed as a costume, he likes 99% dead (even if it's a barely changed outfit). Otherwise why not delay his costume for his reveal? People may say why buy the mii costume when the character is already playable, but that didn't stop Erdrick's mii costume coming with a fully playable DQ Hero. Sure you could go and say that you're wearing Erdrick's ARMOR, but you're just pushing the goalpost at that point.

If the rumors for pass 3/bonus are true, then they would've just delayed the costume till then (assuming Geno is playable). So if the costume returns now I think he's just dead even for a potential pass 3. Not to mention with each reveal, competition gets tougher.

So far based on what leakers have heard Dante, Ryu, Crash, Lloyd, somehow all have a very good shot/are "in". Yet, literally none of the characters so far are commonly "predicted". Even if we assume all slots will get filled, that leaves 3 left; fill in 2 of them with Geno and Master Chief (since he was also heard a ton). Also throw in someone like Waluigi/Reimu/insert RUMOR here, and we have all 7 slots.

No offense to the leakers, but at this point it's far better to just wait it all out rather than pay attention to leaks because none of the common rumors for FP2 have come true. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the above got in. Nintendo could just be really good at hiding stuff now so it's not really worth paying attention to insider "hints" apart from literal seconds before a reveal.

I'm probably hopping off until Thursday to see how things play out, I think Geno will get costumed; but maybe a miracle will occur and he doesn't, in which case hopefully he becomes playable later.

Firox

Smash Master

I don't think it's so much they don't understand as much as they just don't care. The apathy is strong with the internet. I brought this exact point up in the General speculation thread and got torn in half by people citing the droves of infinitely more obscure characters that will get no closure whatsoever, let alone a year and a half late. It's a valid point, but regardless, it really is difficult for a non-Geno fan to really understand our plight.

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's so much they don't understand as much as they just don't care. The apathy is strong with the internet. I brought this exact point up in the General speculation thread and got torn in half by people citing the droves of infinitely more obscure characters that will get no closure whatsoever, let alone a year and a half late. It's a valid point, but regardless, it really is difficult for a non-Geno fan to really understand our plight.
I was actually referring to Geno fans, some people on this thread doesn't seem to understand how cruel Nintendo is being right now (if Geno gets costumed on Thursday).

Square Enix being cruel with Geno is not news, but Nintendo being part of this cruelty and disrespect with Geno fans makes me disgusted.

I wasn't supporting anything from Square Enix already, but now this current situation makes me wonder if I will support anything from Nintendo.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You Know on the Topic of Leaks

I believe with Fatman, He said that Steve and Sephiroth were names that were thrown around, but It seemed, at least with Fatman's Predictions, that Geno and Master Chief with Stronger hearings and more evidence

Yet it was Steve and Sephiroth that got in

And I Remember Fatman was talking about Waluigi being CP6, but it was Min-Min that was 1st Party Character

So Crash, Dante, and Lloyd were his Predictions? Could they be Leakbait to bait to leaking them

And That's something else I also wonder

How Strong are those "Mii Costume Guy Deconfirm" that had Characters like Cuphead, 2B, KOS-MOS, Mrs.PAC-MAN, Gooligi, Elec Man, and stuff like that

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In the case of Jeff Grubb, couldn't it just be that he's a fan of Mario RPG? I'm not super familiar with insiders (not enough to know who's who, or to recall any examples of Geno posting on their parts), but I think most people would agree that with the Donkey Kong Country games being added, Mario RPG and Earthbound seem like the biggest absences from the SNES Online app.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord

The gravity of the situation is the likely outcome is they decided to release the Square costume with the Square character (not the Enix character) as many other costumes have been handled in the past and that you guys did not receive special treatment because you were loud.

D

Deleted member

You Know on the Topic of Leaks

I believe with Fatman, He said that Steve and Sephiroth were names that were thrown around, but It seemed, at least with Fatman's Predictions, that Geno and Master Chief with Stronger hearings and more evidence

Yet it was Steve and Sephiroth that got in

And I Remember Fatman was talking about Waluigi being CP6, but it was Min-Min that was 1st Party Character

So Crash, Dante, and Lloyd were his Predictions? Could they be Leakbait to bait to leaking them

And That's something else I also wonder

How Strong are those "Mii Costume Guy Deconfirm" that had Characters like Cuphead, 2B, KOS-MOS, Mrs.PAC-MAN, Gooligi, Elec Man, and stuff like that
Unfortunately, that maybe the case... but on the flipside it takes time for rumours to pan out. They could still happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom